Board left with no choice

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What is a good manager choice
Weir came with all the right badges and glowing reports from Everton
Many thought Adkins was the right choice
Many thought Wilder was the cheap option . A lower division manager with no
real c.v wasn't a universal well received choice
Some of the best come out of nowhere and just fit.

Good point. I know managers with good CV's aren't always successful, just as mangers without a good CV can become successful.

I suppose I'd start by saying is the owner only looking at managers (coaches) out of work because we are skint, or is he ambitious enough and the clubs finances sustainable enough to try and poach a manager who is employed, because he has the right CV, which would obviously result in compensation. If the owner is forced down the route of an unemployed manager, because we have no money, then personally that sends the signal out that we are employing the next manager for the wrong reasons. Simplistic I know, but that's the starting point for me.

Just to add, when we employed Wilder he had just won the 2nd division with 100+ points, having taken Northampton over the previous season, when at the bottom of the league and kept them up (was it the last game of the season?) and while we he was between jobs at the time we signed him (about to sign for Charlton) I wouldn't class that as out of work

We were always a stop gap for him. Agent earns more if he plays well for us and goes to a bigger side. Undoubtedly paying bigger wages than a club in Belgium but still we couldn't compete for most our targets

We were always a stop gap for him. Agent earns more if he plays well for us and goes to a bigger side. Undoubtedly paying bigger wages than a club in Belgium but still we couldn't compete for most our targets
I agree on the stop gap but if we had paid those big wages for top prem talent I'd argue that most of those would also be stop gap players too with us a new prem team, but if Chris would have accepted help with an international scout we could have attracted more talent like berge and still been able to pay wages, but unfortunately we cannot pay those over inflated prem player based wages right now its insane to even consider putting our club in danger, even Chris used to use the term value for money hence going abroad.

It's OK saying that- but he didn't walk because he thought it was a nice day to go and join Celtic. He's been frustrated to the point anxiety- his demeanour in latter interviews- he's looked a shell of his former self. Given that Chris is a treasure- the Prince and his team should have worked tirelessly to help him and make sure this never happened.

They said it themselves - if they had to choose a manager to get them up next year - they'd choose Chris. So in that sentence the result they have arrived at is a fail.

How many times has he gone on record as saying " I won't put the club in financial difficulties" " I spend the clubs money like it's my own"

You can't make those statements and then walk out because the club doesn't spend more money on players and infrastructure in 5 minutes

It's OK saying that- but he didn't walk because he thought it was a nice day to go and join Celtic. He's been frustrated to the point anxiety- his demeanour in latter interviews- he's looked a shell of his former self. Given that Chris is a treasure- the Prince and his team should have worked tirelessly to help him and make sure this never happened.

They said it themselves - if they had to choose a manager to get them up next year - they'd choose Chris. So

They said it themselves - if they had to choose a manager to get them up next year - they'd choose Chris. So in that sentence the result they have arrived at is a fail.
You dont know if the Prince didnt do that, it was announced to the media nearly a full 36 hours before the actual SUFC announcement with a lot of reports of potential reconcilements. Although if the prince had done this and begged him to stay and he did; he power shift would be something not really seen since fergie at Manchester United. He would pretty much make Chris bigger than the club overnight.

I'd imagine Chris' demeanour and frustration has partly to do with his team and system getting tonked every week (some of the most comfortable 1 goal wins I've ever seen) and an element of self preservation.

No manager operating in a club in a similar sort of financial situation than United can possibly squander £100m - £130m, getting essentially every big money signing wrong, then go on a 22 game losing streak and one of the worst ever performances in the English top flight, and expect to survive that. It was, sadly, always coming to this, sooner or later. Meanwhile I'm gutted and miss Wilder - or rather, the Wilder who hadn't lost his composure yet, the one who didn't adamantly refuse to shoulder any blame himself, horrid performance after another. (Well, CW never had to endure horrid performance after another with us before, but anyways.)

Apart from refusing to take the blame, Wilder was always that solid, no nonsense, feet down to earth guy talking sense, imo. One of the qualities that endeared him to me/us fans, I’d suspect. So, could someone please help me to try to grasp as to what the actual h*ll that ”best ever transfer window” quip was about? For the life of me, I still don’t get as to how he possibly ended up saying something like that. Was he high or something??

Apart from refusing to take the blame, Wilder was always that solid, no nonsense, feet down to earth guy talking sense, imo. One of the qualities that endeared him to me/us fans, I’d suspect. So, could someone please help me to try to grasp as to what the actual h*ll that ”best ever transfer window” quip was about? For the life of me, I still don’t get as to how he possibly ended up saying something like that. Was he high or something??

I can only surmise, motivational purposes? Players hear that (lets face it we all like to hear good things said about us) then, in theory, you get an extra few percent out of them.

Problem is when it goes wrong, you look daft saying it

Back
Top Bottom