BladesPod - latest episodes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nick Henry 3 reds in his short career at BDTBL

Were they all in the same season SB, by any chance? We were trying to work out if any United player had been sent off three times in one season before (as part of a discussion as how it doesn’t feel too unlikely that McBurnie could do it this season).

Were they all in the same season SB, by any chance? We were trying to work out if any United player had been sent off three times in one season before (as part of a discussion as how it doesn’t feel too unlikely that McBurnie could do it this season).
Not in same season.

v Huddersfield (a) March 1997
v Ipswich (a) play offs May 1997
v Bristol City (a) Dec 1998

I am pretty certain that’s never happened. There are a number of examples of two in the same season (Downes and Henry as stated above, also Michael Brown and Febian Brandy spring to mind) but 3 would be new.

I am pretty certain that’s never happened. There are a number of examples of two in the same season (Downes and Henry as stated above, also Michael Brown and Febian Brandy spring to mind) but 3 would be new.

Wes another recent example that’s just sprung to mind, a pair of reds last season!

I love listening to your pod boys
I live in NZ and really struggle with not conversing with others about the nonsense you discuss (please dont be offended).
I don't always agree, but love listening to the ramblings, the interruptions (sorry Roy) and the honesty ( when you've not been).
If it's worth anything to you, please keep going.
I run in the mornings with my pooch and it gets me through the pain at least once a week. Thank you!!!

Hello all,

Managed to squeeze in a podcast today with t'old Roygbiv talking about the last two games. Cheers for listening, we'll be back in 2024 for the next ep. Happy New Year!

Only 15 mins in so far and you couldn’t have distilled my thinking any better!

Hello all,

Managed to squeeze in a podcast today with t'old Roygbiv talking about the last two games. Cheers for listening, we'll be back in 2024 for the next ep. Happy New Year!

Don't apologise for negativity! We are where we are.

Re the many VAR checks at Villa, I do wonder whether this is a regular thing there. Anyone who has been or seen them on TV will tell you that the Villa crowd thinks every single thing an opposition player does in the penalty area is a penalty, and every challenge outside the area in the opposition half is a foul. The number of "handball!" shouts in particular is insane. The only other ground where it's like that is Molineux, when Wolves are doing well, but it's not a regional thing as in my experience Birmingham and WBA fans are not like that (actually, Wrexham was also like this in the cup but I think that's new because they haven't had any real numbers until recenrly). Anyway, this may cause the incompetents at Stockley Park to look at more than they usually do.

Re the many VAR checks at Villa, I do wonder whether this is a regular thing there. Anyone who has been or seen them on TV will tell you that the Villa crowd thinks every single thing an opposition player does in the penalty area is a penalty, and every challenge outside the area in the opposition half is a foul. The number of "handball!" shouts in particular is insane. The only other ground where it's like that is Molineux, when Wolves are doing well, but it's not a regional thing as in my experience Birmingham and WBA fans are not like that (actually, Wrexham was also like this in the cup but I think that's new because they haven't had any real numbers until recenrly). Anyway, this may cause the incompetents at Stockley Park to look at more than they usually do.

I always used to find that Man City fans at Maine Road were terrible. I remember a few visits there (80s and early 90s) where it was just 90 minutes of non-stop appeals. Vinnie Jones probably didn’t help things with his four-second yellow card in 1991!

Regarding what people saw in the performance against Villa, we restricted them to very little. They have been the 2nd best team in England in 2023 and 15 wins in a row at home, they didn't just get nervous a play rubbish.

I agree we are relegated and have been since before Palace at home, but a coherent defensive display away at a top team deserves praise. Larouci actually playing well, Norwood and Souza that people proffess doesn't work defensively keeping them at bay. A bit of genuine quality in taking our one chance and scoring.

It's what people were asking for, getting these players playing above themselves and better as a team, not embarrassing ourselves. Hecky did alright with them until their head's dropped in his last few, let's hope Wilder keeps them going until the end of the season.

And for Luton's first goal, how was it obvious what Doherty wanted to do?

This is a left mid who has been praised all season for his left footed delivery. I'd assume the analysis on him pre game was "stop the cross, don't let him onto his left foot". Hamer should still do better but I didn't expect it.

We got destroyed down that side because Wilder got the tactics wrong, with Trusty as a left back not knowing whether to track Townsend or stay wide with Doherty and no left sided player infront of him. Sometimes it was Hamer, sometimes Brooks. The change to a back 5 at HT proved it.

Regarding what people saw in the performance against Villa, we restricted them to very little. They have been the 2nd best team in England in 2023 and 15 wins in a row at home, they didn't just get nervous a play rubbish.

I agree we are relegated and have been since before Palace at home, but a coherent defensive display away at a top team deserves praise. Larouci actually playing well, Norwood and Souza that people proffess doesn't work defensively keeping them at bay. A bit of genuine quality in taking our one chance and scoring.

It's what people were asking for, getting these players playing above themselves and better as a team, not embarrassing ourselves. Hecky did alright with them until their head's dropped in his last few, let's hope Wilder keeps them going until the end of the season.

I think we were probably being harsh on that performance but at the time it was just demoralising seeing us turn over possession again and again so easily. It was a fantastic result but I didn't see it as a better performance than Man City or Spurs under Hecky. Obviously it's much better than recent weeks but we still looked like a side well below the standard we are playing, which we are.

And for Luton's first goal, how was it obvious what Doherty wanted to do?

This is a left mid who has been praised all season for his left footed delivery. I'd assume the analysis on him pre game was "stop the cross, don't let him onto his left foot". Hamer should still do better but I didn't expect it.

We got destroyed down that side because Wilder got the tactics wrong, with Trusty as a left back not knowing whether to track Townsend or stay wide with Doherty and no left sided player infront of him. Sometimes it was Hamer, sometimes Brooks. The change to a back 5 at HT proved it.

Fair points. I think Doughty telegraphed what he was going to do and I still think Hamer was weak to just let him go past him like that. You're spot on that the half time switch and what happened after (Doughty pretty anonymous) showed we got it wrong straight off. I can't lie and say that I wasn't initially happy with the line up but in practice it failed badly.

I think we were probably being harsh on that performance but at the time it was just demoralising seeing us turn over possession again and again so easily. It was a fantastic result but I didn't see it as a better performance than Man City or Spurs under Hecky. Obviously it's much better than recent weeks but we still looked like a side well below the standard we are playing, which we are.
Agree that it wasn't much better than the City or Spurs games under Hecky. You and Ben rightly praised those performances though (while bemoaning our clear lack of quality and the inevitably in which we chucked it away). That's the best we've got unfortunately with this group of players against top teams.

Love the pod and particularly the view from, I'm just mardy.

Cheers guys , a bit of therapy for me! Yes a-bit too negative about the villa performance, but still understandable. The season is over and it’s incredibly disappointing. The only positive is the money we made going up. Saving us apparently !

Agree that it wasn't much better than the City or Spurs games under Hecky. You and Ben rightly praised those performances though (while bemoaning our clear lack of quality and the inevitably in which we chucked it away). That's the best we've got unfortunately with this group of players against top teams.

Love the pod and particularly the view from, I'm just mardy.

No, I think you make some good points. Our opinions aren't more informed than anyone else's and I think it's definitely worth considering whether we are being too harsh. Subconsciously, I think losing every week and trying to comment on it just makes you less tolerable of things you would probably not even mention if things were going well.

Happy new year, S2! Roygbiv and I didn't see any of the City game, so rather than waste time discussing that, we instead touch on the latest January transfer rumours (Brereton-Diaz, Kasper Schmeichel, Benie Traore) before a returning feature from this time last year where we play "deal or no deal" with every one of the players who will be out of contract this summer. We give our opinion on whether we'd try and get a new contract in front of them ASAP, give it 6 months to see, or get ready to say bye-bye and potentially try and recoup / save some wages on right now.

Thanks for listening!

Happy new year, S2! Roygbiv and I didn't see any of the City game, so rather than waste time discussing that, we instead touch on the latest January transfer rumours (Brereton-Diaz, Kasper Schmeichel, Benie Traore) before a returning feature from this time last year where we play "deal or no deal" with every one of the players who will be out of contract this summer. We give our opinion on whether we'd try and get a new contract in front of them ASAP, give it 6 months to see, or get ready to say bye-bye and potentially try and recoup / save some wages on right now.

Thanks for listening!

Grand - I’ve got a long drive tomorrow so this will pass the time nicely.

Thanks for listening!

Thanks for the pod, the usual great listen 🙂

Regarding why we don't have a match next week, it's the Premier League mid season 'break' where they play a full fixture week over 2 weeks to give players a mini break. The West Ham fixture being moved is just changing which week we get the break in.

Regarding why we don't have a match next week, it's the Premier League mid season 'break' where they play a full fixture week over 2 weeks to give players a mini break. The West Ham fixture being moved is just changing which week we get the break in.

Just came on here to say the same thing!

Never heard of that before, thanks!

Mid-way through the pod on the way down to Oxford.

An excellent listen, as usual.
Thanks lads.

I completely agree that there are two persuadable options for most players, and agreed with most of your choices.

I think you are wrong on Bogle. Ben's not unreasonable argument was that he didn't want to see him in another shirt. On that basis, Furious George gets the No2 and we can't afford another expensive RB.

Surely Bogle is more than that? He's played right side of midfield loads of times, so it doesn't have to be Baldock OR Bogle. It's also worth pointing out that Bogle is one the few players capable of commanding a fee.

Great pod though and thanks again for your great work.

Evening all, recorded a bit later than usual but here's the latest episode - Roygbiv and I talking about a welcome brushing-aside of lower league opposition in the FA Cup, Will Osula's first goals, welcome minutes for Norrington-Davies, a possible upturn in the Jebbison contract situation, Brighton in the next round, and a few other odds and ends. Cheers!

Hello S2,

Later in the week than normal due to illness - and apologies that my voice is still not really tip-top during this - but here's a new episode with Roygbiv where we preview the West Ham game and then spin the Roulette Wheel of Blades News to hit 16 (count em) different stories from the last few weeks, including new contracts for some young players, points deductions for our "rivals", Basham on the road to recovery, and the retirement of a perennial thorn in our collective sides.

Thanks for listening!

Back
Top Bottom