Blades Players You Were When A Kid

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hemsworth Football.jpg

Here's where I used to play togger as a kid up at the top of the Valley. Red arrows indicate 'strips of grass' or as a last resort, Herdings Park, yellow arrows indicate garages/road cul-de-sacs.

It was basically set up, start playing, ten minutes in someone would be out,moving you on.

"Cum on! Clear off! Telled thi last neyt! Thaht not ter play footy on 'eeoh!"
"Fuck off!"
"What did tha seh? Ah know thi dad!"
"'Eel be darn to kick thi fuckin' eerd in, thar old cunt!"

And so on. Next grass, moved on. Next cul de sac, moved on.

But every goal was scored, was 'WOODWARD!'

And Mr Parker - caretaker of Hemsworth County Juniors and Infants used to come and chase us off the school field in his car.

"Bring out the Monty!"

And he would, the fucking weirdo.

pommpey

Lived on Norton Lees Road, Brownie, and Meersbrook Park was where I spent the whole school holidays playing too. Graves Park was more of a day out as it was just far enough away that you couldn't go without your parents.

As soon as Edwards returned in September 1981, the vast majority of lads in our group had a number 9 sown onto their shirt. I, however, had number 10 on my Hobbot shirt during the Division 4 season - Bob Hatton.

I'd picked Bob as my favourite the previous season, and wasn't about to change.

Still got the badges that I bought from the Club shop/kiosk on the corner of John Street and Shoreham Street, at the beginning of the 1980/81 season. "Brilliant Blades" indeed...although to be fair, plenty of the squad that got relegated to the Fourth, was still around for the promotion the following season.

View attachment 60189
I lived on Crawford Road 👍

Last edited:
Did you pretend you were a Blades player when playing football in the park when you were a kid?
We spent all the school holidays playing in Meersbrook or Graves Park and used to say,”I’ll be Tony Kenworthy”or “Alex Sabella” etc.
I had blonde hair as a kid so I was obviously TC with No.10 on Blades shorts.
We used to play World Cup where when you scored you sat behind the net and the last 1 was eliminated,and so on,until the final 2 were in the final.
The keeper had to boot it over all the players heads,if not it was offside if anyone scored.Happy days before pc’s,x boxes,I pads,mobile phones and 500 tv channels.
As I was goalkeeper for my school and then a Sunday League team I was always Alan Hodgkinson......

Did you pretend you were a Blades player when playing football in the park when you were a kid?
We spent all the school holidays playing in Meersbrook or Graves Park and used to say,”I’ll be Tony Kenworthy”or “Alex Sabella” etc.
We used to play World Cup where when you scored you sat behind the net and the last 1 was eliminated,and so on,until the final 2 were in the final.
The keeper had to boot it over all the players heads,if not it was offside if anyone scored.Happy days before pc’s,x boxes,I pads,mobile phones and 500 tv channels.

Great post & an interesting choice of examples in Kenworthy or Sabella.
Kenworthy was my hero as a kid. Wore the same boots as he did & chose to play defence in the same way he did as a sort of ‘sweeper’ centre-half.
Played for King Edward VII, Crosspool Juniors, Sheffield Boys & South York’s Boys & kicked a ball around Crookes anywhere I could. All because of TK.
Remember now a game we called Wembley that sounds a lot like your World Cup. And also “3 & In” where everyone got to go in goal.
Happy, happy days.

Marcelo, only because he scored the only goal for us in a 1-1 draw with Barnsley at my first game in I believe 1996..

Great post & an interesting choice of examples in Kenworthy or Sabella.
Kenworthy was my hero as a kid. Wore the same boots as he did & chose to play defence in the same way he did as a sort of ‘sweeper’ centre-half.
Played for King Edward VII, Crosspool Juniors, Sheffield Boys & South York’s Boys & kicked a ball around Crookes anywhere I could. All because of TK.
Remember now a game we called Wembley that sounds a lot like your World Cup. And also “3 & In” where everyone got to go in goal.
Happy, happy days.
Tony Kenworthy was my hero for a few years,king of the sliding tackle 😁,when a young lad and a few years later,when he was at Mansfield,I used to speak to him regularly as he lived near one of my mates,top bloke and was defo harder than 🐷 Pickering 🤣🤣

We played the same game but we called it Wembley!

Tony Kenworthy was my hero for a few years,king of the sliding tackle 😁,when a young lad and a few years later,when he was at Mansfield,I used to speak to him regularly as he lived near one of my mates,top bloke and was defo harder than 🐷 Pickering 🤣🤣

Top player & defo hard man. Unlike me.
I did love a sliding tackle though.
Remember meeting him at the Lane - he had a TR7 if I remember rightly.

Eddie Coloon, ...... I mean Eddie Colhoon ......... or is it Eddie Colhoun ....... oh fuc* it, I could never spell it!

In the dark, dark days when Kenworthy stood head and shoulders above the rest, bloke near me on the kop shouted, "Thank god we've got thee Kenworthy."
Had pace, tenacity, excellent one on one, very good in the air and one of us. Even though he was dirty L@@@s.
Rumoured to attract interest from Leicester and Southampton - old 1st division- it might have been better for him to have moved and reached his full potential.

Tony Kenworthy on High Storrs school field. We used to get a great turnout most nights as youngsters. Summer then brought on cricket when helmets didn't exist in the nets up by Bents Green....Brutal!

Woodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!
And after the man , Alex Sabella even brought an Argentinian top , but had to get rid of it in the 80s like !!!

Lived on Norton Lees Road, Brownie, and Meersbrook Park was where I spent the whole school holidays playing too. Graves Park was more of a day out as it was just far enough away that you couldn't go without your parents.

As soon as Edwards returned in September 1981, the vast majority of lads in our group had a number 9 sown onto their shirt. I, however, had number 10 on my Hobbot shirt during the Division 4 season - Bob Hatton.

I'd picked Bob as my favourite the previous season, and wasn't about to change.

Still got the badges that I bought from the Club shop/kiosk on the corner of John Street and Shoreham Street, at the beginning of the 1980/81 season. "Brilliant Blades" indeed...although to be fair, plenty of the squad that got relegated to the Fourth, was still around for the promotion the following season.

View attachment 60189
I played for Cross Scythes and Kyle Walker’s dad played at CH 👍😁

Used to hit shots at a goal painted onto a gable end, and would call out "Dearden"as I kicked the ball. If it missed I would change the pretend commentary to,"terrible miss from Prendergast"
Did you put your knee back together after each shot?

Back
Top Bottom