Blades Players You Were When A Kid

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

brownie4583

1 Chrissy Wilder
Reaction score
Did you pretend you were a Blades player when playing football in the park when you were a kid?
We spent all the school holidays playing in Meersbrook or Graves Park and used to say,”I’ll be Tony Kenworthy”or “Alex Sabella” etc.
I had blonde hair as a kid so I was obviously TC with No.10 on Blades shorts.
We used to play World Cup where when you scored you sat behind the net and the last 1 was eliminated,and so on,until the final 2 were in the final.
The keeper had to boot it over all the players heads,if not it was offside if anyone scored.Happy days before pc’s,x boxes,I pads,mobile phones and 500 tv channels.

We played on the grass on ellesmere rd, petre st, carwood and burngreave middle school posing as deano, agana, bryson and even alan roberts :) most of the piggies were david hirst the juankerrs

Did you pretend you were a Blades player when playing football in the park when you were a kid?
We spent all the school holidays playing in Meersbrook or Graves Park and used to say,”I’ll be Tony Kenworthy”or “Alex Sabella” etc.
We used to play World Cup where when you scored you sat behind the net and the last 1 was eliminated,and so on,until the final 2 were in the final.
The keeper had to boot it over all the players heads,if not it was offside if anyone scored.Happy days before pc’s,x boxes,I pads,mobile phones and 500 tv channels.

Yes, Paul Stancliffe as I played at centre half for my school. When I started going, my dad told me to pay particular attention to the guys playing in my position. I took it too literally and just stared at Stan for 90 minutes, missed all sorts.

Yes, Paul Stancliffe as I played at centre half for my school. When I started going, my dad told me to pay particular attention to the guys playing in my position. I took it too literally and just stared at Stan for 90 minutes, missed all sorts.
Paul lived on our street when we were lads. Played football regular with him. Nice lad.

Luis Arconada

Spanish International goalkeeper.

No United goalkeeper inspired me enough.

Hinde House bottom field...

Mick Jones all day long, and then TC after that.

Left back... in 't dressing room. I was ######g useless.
And so was Hinde House.

The Wolrd cup bit brings back memories and headers & volleys, you know these were only way you could score, I was TC or Woody or if in net Hodgy or McAllister

Slightly off course but do any of our older members remember a programme with George Best, it was called Best in Football it was filmed at my old school & shown on BBC1 IMS circa 71/72.

Lived on Norton Lees Road, Brownie, and Meersbrook Park was where I spent the whole school holidays playing too. Graves Park was more of a day out as it was just far enough away that you couldn't go without your parents.

As soon as Edwards returned in September 1981, the vast majority of lads in our group had a number 9 sown onto their shirt. I, however, had number 10 on my Hobbot shirt during the Division 4 season - Bob Hatton.

I'd picked Bob as my favourite the previous season, and wasn't about to change.

Still got the badges that I bought from the Club shop/kiosk on the corner of John Street and Shoreham Street, at the beginning of the 1980/81 season. "Brilliant Blades" indeed...although to be fair, plenty of the squad that got relegated to the Fourth, was still around for the promotion the following season.

IMG_1098.JPG

Back
Top Bottom