Blades Crest Referendum

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Should We Modify The Current Badge?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I see where you are coming from and it could work but unless the fans get a say in the final design,I'm out...I don't trust the club or whoever to do it justice with zero input.

Yeah I totally agree to be fair. When it comes to making changes to club traditions we need to tread very carefully and the fans must be involved throughout any process.

We already have the best and cleanest badge in the country and I'm not even using my bias towards our club. It really is just spot on nice

I missed your reply Montymagic , sorry. This is my explanation.

I feel I need to qualify a few things here.

I would never suggest changing the badge, I'd just like to see a simplified version worn only on the shirt to make it look a bit more simple and impactful.

For example, take Rangers F.C

This is their official badge

View attachment 162572

But they've always worn this badge on their actual shirts

View attachment 162573

That's all I'm getting at, just using a simplified, minimalised design on the shirt itself.
I get where you're coming from - Liverpool do the same thing don't they with the liver bird?
BUT, our badge is already striking, clean and simple and looks like the product of a modern redesign, not a busy, dated badge that requires an update.

There should be blood dripping from the points of the blades. And the rose could be replaced with the severed head of the manager of our next opponents. A tough logistical ask but I have no doubt Errea are up to the task.

Our badge is in my opinion one of the finest in the land, and if any attempt was made to radically change it beyond recognition, I'd be in the fucking car park with shoes off and a molotov cocktail in hand in a heartbeat.

However

I wouldn't mind making a little tweak to make it more impactful looking on the actual shirt. This is not to say I wouldn't keep the current badge for use on every other bit of media, just the shirt really.

Personally, I'd do away with the lettering and the round bit on the edge and make it a bit more minimalist. If my proposal gains favour, maybe we could put it to the club?

Summat like this, or summat to that effect? Here's a poll for you to take.

View attachment 162494

Quite a few clubs have consulted with fans recently about making modifications to their crest, and many changes have been welcomed.

Given that we've had the current design since 1978, would you welcome such a change?
A beheaded owl under the blades would look good.

There should be blood dripping from the points of the blades. And the rose could be replaced with the severed head of the manager of our next opponents. A tough logistical ask but I have no doubt Errea are up to the task.
The blood shouldn't be an issue as you get some proper nipple chafing from the stitching

You only have to look at the countless pages of arguments about whether our shirts should have pin stripes or not to realise that giving the fans a say in the design of something like this is just going to end in arguments, can't please everybody.

Diamonds again tbh.......

I think the current badge is absolutely fine. It’s iconic, uncluttered and is a huge part of our identity. It’s been broadly the same since I was a kid and is the badge of the side that I fell in love with as a kid.

I don’t mind the monochrome version that appears on the away kits, as it looks smart and fits in well with the kit.

I don’t like it when we start fucking about with the Black Shields, or taking bits off it or adding bits on it.

The 15/16 home kit had the original badge on it and when I wore that shirt, loads of people asked me whose kit it was. I actually really liked that shirt but it should really have been an away shirt

To celebrate Pride Decade, what about crossed dildo's with a chocolate starfish replacing the rose? Set against a vibrant rainbow background of course.

Not sure about changing the badge, maybe just some slight tweaks or using monochrome more often. But I definitely think we should darken the shade of red used for our home shirts, and maybe a slightly off white for the white stripe. The colours we use often look tacky, the home shirt will never look nice to wear casually unless we change the colours slightly

Shield crests are generally pretty shit. They are over complicated. They became popular in the 90’s even for teams whose crests were already formed within a sort of emblem - including ours. It’s like a lot of things from the 90’s. They’re good to look back on and formed part of that era, making it what it was.

Take the Burnley crest. It’s a crest within a crest.

It’s highlighted in this reply to that tweet. The outer crest servers no purpose whatsoever.

How many times have Burnley changed their crest since in the last decade? They seem to be forever buggering about with it every other season. The staying power of ours compared to virtually everyone else in the league is staggering. Getting on for half a century old and still looking fresh with only minor tweaks down the years.

You know what though Katzenjammer, take the Yorkshire rose off your original idea (yeah, symbolism, great but it's always made it look a bit fussy to my eyes) and just have the crossed white scimitars against a plain black circle and you might be onto summat.

You know what though Katzenjammer, take the Yorkshire rose off your original idea (yeah, symbolism, great but it's always made it look a bit fussy to my eyes) and just have the crossed white scimitars against a plain black circle and you might be onto summat.

Yes but if we remove the Yorkshire component, then how would people know that we're racially and genetically superior to the rest of England? 😁

Our badge is in my opinion one of the finest in the land, and if any attempt was made to radically change it beyond recognition, I'd be in the fucking car park with shoes off and a molotov cocktail in hand in a heartbeat.

However

I wouldn't mind making a little tweak to make it more impactful looking on the actual shirt. This is not to say I wouldn't keep the current badge for use on every other bit of media, just the shirt really.

Personally, I'd do away with the lettering and the round bit on the edge and make it a bit more minimalist. If my proposal gains favour, maybe we could put it to the club?

Summat like this, or summat to that effect? Here's a poll for you to take.

View attachment 162494

Quite a few clubs have consulted with fans recently about making modifications to their crest, and many changes have been welcomed.

Given that we've had the current design since 1978, would you welcome such a change?
I totally agree and have thought it for a few seasons but not mentioned it as I thought I’d get ripped to shreds. What I’d do is at least on an away kit use a more ‘marketing badge’ with no writing like what you’ve suggested or the blades one we have on back of our shirts past 2 seasons I think. However keep the original badge as the true club crest a bit like what Rangers and Liverpool do use a different one for their shirts. As mentioned I do like our original badge it’s simple enough but effective although I would update the font to a more modern one.

I totally agree and have thought it for a few seasons but not mentioned it as I thought I’d get ripped to shreds. What I’d do is at least on an away kit use a more ‘marketing badge’ with no writing like what you’ve suggested or the blades one we have on back of our shirts past 2 seasons I think. However keep the original badge as the true club crest a bit like what Rangers and Liverpool do use a different one for their shirts. As mentioned I do like our original badge it’s simple enough but effective although I would update the font to a more modern one.

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind, something a bit more stark and less cluttered to wear on the kits.
I think a few have misunderstood me and think I wanted to do away with the badge altogether, but I don't, I love our badge, I just wanted to do something a bit different with it in certain contexts.

Back
Top Bottom