Blades Crest Referendum

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Should We Modify The Current Badge?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Our badge is in my opinion one of the finest in the land, and if any attempt was made to radically change it beyond recognition, I'd be in the fucking car park with shoes off and a molotov cocktail in hand in a heartbeat.

However

I wouldn't mind making a little tweak to make it more impactful looking on the actual shirt. This is not to say I wouldn't keep the current badge for use on every other bit of media, just the shirt really.

Personally, I'd do away with the lettering and the round bit on the edge and make it a bit more minimalist. If my proposal gains favour, maybe we could put it to the club?

Summat like this, or summat to that effect? Here's a poll for you to take.

View attachment 162494

Quite a few clubs have consulted with fans recently about making modifications to their crest, and many changes have been welcomed.

Given that we've had the current design since 1978, would you welcome such a change?
No harm in taking the red ring off on the occasional kit, I guess.

Great badge overall though. Some things should never change.

Golden eagle as the eagle is a heraldic symbol of Manchester. For what it's worth, there's a lion on Sheffield's coat of arms for the same purpose.

In which case I stand corrected, I mistakenly thought it was a design feature.

All for change, personally. I'd like to see us adopt a more minimalist design similar to the Portsmouth badge. You look at that logo and you instantly know it's Pompey, just as you should only need to look at the crossed scimitars to know it's Sheffield United.

Gimme some slightly broader swords, a rose and the year 1889 between the handles. All we need.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

I did always think our badge and nickname was a bit violent for this day and age. Not the sort of family-friendly image a modern day football club wants to present. I suggest we change it to something reflecting Sheffield's steel industry yet is more friendly.

The Steelers, or the Cutlerymen -- actually Cutlerymen would work well, replace the two swords with a dinner knife and a fork.

All for change, personally. I'd like to see us adopt a more minimalist design similar to the Portsmouth badge. You look at that logo and you instantly know it's Pompey, just as you should only need to look at the crossed scimitars to know it's Sheffield United.

Gimme some slightly broader swords, a rose and the year 1889 between the handles. All we need.
That's because the Pompey badge is based on the Portsmouth coat of arms, which has the star and crescent at the centre. They've also followed our design principal for the main badge as used on their kits. The one without the roundel is used, as our Blades effort is, on other merchandise.

1686828547981.png

To be honest I would like to see the badge on the shirt that we had when we had the legendary early nineteen seventies period.that is just my humble opinion.
Otherwise, I would keep the current badge as it is.

To be honest I would like to see the badge on the shirt that we had when we had the legendary early nineteen seventies period.that is just my humble opinion.
Otherwise, I would keep the current badge as it is.

I'd like that too, at least for a one off, but the ruling junta at Sheffield City Council own the rights to the coat of arms so we aren't allowed to use it.
That and the fact that they're a set of Piggy bastards.

This is the front of my bar at home.
Bar.jpg
It is a thing of beauty that makes me moist every time I walk through the door. If I'm outside I sometimes open the door blinds so I can bask in its majesty.

Piggy mates of mine walk in and generally don't say anything about it because they know their monstrosity looks like a child has created it with crayons then they default to attendancitis.

I'm so far in the 'don't fuck about with it' camp that I can't even see the 'maybe' camp never mind the 'yes' camp.

It's a resounding 'fuck, no' from me.

That's because the Pompey badge is based on the Portsmouth coat of arms, which has the star and crescent at the centre. They've also followed our design principal for the main badge as used on their kits. The one without the roundel is used, as our Blades effort is, on other merchandise.

View attachment 162506

Knew about the cost of arms but wasn't aware they alternated between a roundel and non-roundel version. Only seen the minimalist version on the shirts of late.

Perhaps that'd be a happy halfway house, then. Keep the current badge for website, twittwr etc. and have a bold, simplified version for the shirts 😁

Can we squeeze an 🦉 into it? I quite like owls & it doesn't seem fair that the Tesco carrier bags team have a monopoly on them 😏

I think the club badge looks better for the minor re design in 2014 and shouldn’t be changed.

However, I wouldn’t be averse to a bit of variation to what’s on the shirt like we did in the 1990s. I’d also like to see the city coat of arms appear on a shirt as well if copyrights allow.

I quite like the Raiders style ‘Blades’ badge on the back of the shirt, although I wouldn’t want this to become the main badge.

What about the club font? Would like to see us move back to the one we had in the 80s and 90s with the big chunky letters that used to be on the South Stand.

Back
Top Bottom