CONFIRMED Billy Sharp

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currently reading the book on our wartime Cup win, and it was striking that soccer was used as a term fairly frequently in contemporary Sheffield articles, letters and elsewhere. The notion that the term is an American invention doesn’t really stick. I used to be very anti use of the word, don’t really mind hearing it now in truth, though still wouldn’t use it myself.

Yes, it’s an English derivation of asSOCiAtion football. However, I don’t know any proper football fans who use the appellation.

Whilst certainly not an American invention it as, as you know, in widespread use there to distinguish it from their silly game that provides eight minutes of action in a three hour ‘match-up’.

I wouldn’t expect anyone asserting that others don’t understand our wonderful game to employ the term.

Currently reading the book on our wartime Cup win, and it was striking that soccer was used as a term fairly frequently in contemporary Sheffield articles, letters and elsewhere. The notion that the term is an American invention doesn’t really stick. I used to be very anti use of the word, don’t really mind hearing it now in truth, though still wouldn’t use it myself.

I was shocked when I first found out it started in UK and is from the 'soc' part of Association Football. I do sometimes use it, but I use it now to differentiate from American football that I play

It’s a feckin good job Wilder picks the players and not me, I know as much about football having followed Blades for 62 years as you do about what’s going on int transfer market. ;)
Good job I don’t pretend otherwise then really 😊

There have been a few that were once prolific posters and have totally disappeared without a pre-flounce or notification of sadly passing.

I miss Peteblade for example. A good poster on here and BM.

Driven away by 24/7 trolls who have nothing better to do than wait for excitement on here. Never offer anything just take a pot at fellow Blades. WUM WUM,WUM. Newer members should see them when the team is struggling. Blame, blame, blame.

Pete rarely agreed with me but he never got personal or nasty.

No doubt you'll have "proof" that Pete was "driven away". Because I say that it's more made up claims like the one you pretended I'd posted.

He had a bit more about him than to flounce because someone dared disagree with him.

Sean Thornton

I 'miss' the arguments I had with him regarding another certain prominent Blades striker

He won them all in retrospect xD

As for Sharp, he must be the only signing that justifies a whole season of failure for long term reward

No doubt you'll have "proof" that Pete was "driven away". Because I say that it's more made up claims like the one you pretended I'd posted.

He had a bit more about him than to flounce because someone dared disagree with him.

Are you replying to me Sean? Please address accordingly if so.

I wouldn't know if Pete was driven away, probably wasn't. My second sentence was a separate comment to my first.

As for made up claims, half right half wrong, as you well know and 'appreciated' by you.

Who said he flounced anyway? Don't bang away and make it a fact again.

I'm glad I was wrong about Billy. He's been marvelous and partners Brian Deane in my Blades all time XI.

Having said that, this thread is out of context. When it started Nigel Clough was manager. He was having a difficult time, unable to build on the fine ending the previous season.

In 2014/15 we were playing 4-5-1 and struggled to create chances. Our team looked well balanced for cup games when we counter attacked and played with enthusiasm. In the league, we lacked creativity, rhythm and often looked too negative. The team that lost 0-1 to MK Dons in January was like this:

Howard
Alcock Kennedy McEveley Harris
JCR Baxter Doyle Scougall Murphy
McNulty

McNulty had scored double figures at this point (January) which was promising, especially as he'd only started 12 games at that point. Being a poacher, like Sharp, but younger made it seem like a bad idea to sign another of that type, especially as that team lacked height (no six footers in the above team) and physicality in general. I think most thought we needed a different no 9. I still don't know if Sharp would have enjoyed playing in that team. There was the odd effort from Murphy and JCR, but the clever passing and flowing moves of the current team, setting up chances for strikers to finish, was very much lacking in 2014/15. Sharp's record at his previous four clubs wasn't great. I watched one of them for Doncaster and he looked miserable. A bit before this thread I watched him for Leeds and he struggled again.

Nigel Adkins signed him and played two strikers, which was better for Sharp. It was a poor season, but Sharp did well and was clearly POY. Then Wilder came along and after also turning to a formation that included two strikers, Sharp thrived. The football's been great and a natural poacher has been a vital part of our play. Wilder's added competition and Sharp has had to do well to keep his place in the team.

Along the way Sharp has shown an exceptional attitude, somehow looking faster and stronger than five years ago. His wife was spot on when she tweeted about him being even leaner and fitter before last season, and he again managed to improve, scoring ten more goals than the previous campaign. That's quite rare at that age, maybe unique? How the hell was we supposed to know in 2015?

Anyway, I think we should be glad that events turned out like they have. Maybe we can at least agree that things may not necessarily have been quite as good, had he signed four and a half years ago.

Are you replying to me Sean? Please address accordingly if so.

I wouldn't know if Pete was driven away, probably wasn't. My second sentence was a separate comment to my first.

As for made up claims, half right half wrong, as you well know and 'appreciated' by you.

Who said he flounced anyway? Don't bang away and make it a fact again.

"Driven away by 24/7 trolls who have nothing better to do"

Looks like a statement of fact to me. Or at least a definite opinion. No, possibly, or maybe. Just a lead into another troll rant, that's got you nowhere in the past.

Do you ever read what you post?

No. I didn't post what you accused me of. The fact that you thought I was someone else from another forum doesn't make you "half right".

I appreciated the fact that you had actually come back to me. "Half apology" was too daft to comment on at the time.

I never said you said he flounced. Remind me who has flounced several times?

I'm glad I was wrong about Billy. He's been marvelous and partners Brian Deane in my Blades all time XI.

Having said that, this thread is out of context. When it started Nigel Clough was manager. He was having a difficult time, unable to build on the fine ending the previous season.

In 2014/15 we were playing 4-5-1 and struggled to create chances. Our team looked well balanced for cup games when we counter attacked and played with enthusiasm. In the league, we lacked creativity, rhythm and often looked too negative. The team that lost 0-1 to MK Dons in January was like this:

Howard
Alcock Kennedy McEveley Harris
JCR Baxter Doyle Scougall Murphy
McNulty

McNulty had scored double figures at this point (January) which was promising, especially as he'd only started 12 games at that point. Being a poacher, like Sharp, but younger made it seem like a bad idea to sign another of that type, especially as that team lacked height (no six footers in the above team) and physicality in general. I think most thought we needed a different no 9. I still don't know if Sharp would have enjoyed playing in that team. There was the odd effort from Murphy and JCR, but the clever passing and flowing moves of the current team, setting up chances for strikers to finish, was very much lacking in 2014/15. Sharp's record at his previous four clubs wasn't great. I watched one of them for Doncaster and he looked miserable. A bit before this thread I watched him for Leeds and he struggled again.

Nigel Adkins signed him and played two strikers, which was better for Sharp. It was a poor season, but Sharp did well and was clearly POY. Then Wilder came along and after also turning to a formation that included two strikers, Sharp thrived. The football's been great and a natural poacher has been a vital part of our play. Wilder's added competition and Sharp has had to do well to keep his place in the team.

Along the way Sharp has shown an exceptional attitude, somehow looking faster and stronger than five years ago. His wife was spot on when she tweeted about him being even leaner and fitter before last season, and he again managed to improve, scoring ten more goals than the previous campaign. That's quite rare at that age, maybe unique? How the hell was we supposed to know in 2015?

Anyway, I think we should be glad that events turned out like they have. Maybe we can at least agree that things may not necessarily have been quite as good, had he signed four and a half years ago.

I think our posts on the thread will put it into 'context'

The fact was it was becoming apparent that Sharp would be available and that's why I started tracking him. My quoted post below put it in context. Your posts also quoted below showed your view of the lad, n any context.

Except that he lacks pace, aerial ability, real strength and skill. His all round game is very average, although he might still be a decent finisher/poacher, although not at Championship level. He scored on his Leeds debut in August, then a penalty a few days before christmas. He's started 9 games and come on as sub 8 times. It would be great to see Billy back scoring regularly for us, but it would be a big and expensive gamble in my opinion.

Yes it would be a gamble but to my mind the "false 9" role does not need pace. It needs positioning and touch on the ball together with awareness of men around him.

Sharp has great awareness of situations because he plays with his head up when in possession.

As for expensive, I'm not so sure as Leeds will be looking to offload and Sharp may well be at the stage of life when money does not mean everything, particularly when he has had the tragic experience he had with his son.

Anybody any better ideas that just might fall into place? We desperately need a goalscorer.

I think McNulty will soon (if he doesn't already) do everything Billy does better, and if the Eoin Doyle rumours are true, he may be an even better option. I would also like us to go for O'Grady.

That's what they say about a lot of strikers. But it's not true. They lose even more and in the end they just stop scoring.

I am on this Forum to pass opinion and to test my opinions, to learn different views. I suppose I have an emotional attachment to Billy Sharp because I think we wasted his potential at Bramall Lane. I seem to be in a minority of one.

We rarely have young players who score for fun at every age level.

He was too small for Warnock who exiled him for peanuts, despite his immense goalscoring record age for age throughout with us and also in the league one with Scunny.

Robson never gave him a chance because McCabe signed him before the new manager arrived.

Blackwell had to play Beattie in the No.1 role. I said at the time that I would have built my side round Sharp, not Beattie, though I do accept we had money at the time and that confused priorities. Beattie to me was never a medium term solution, though that's a separate debate.

If we had different managers at the time we would have played to Sharp's strengths and not asked him to make up the numbers. If we had played to his strengths he could have been immense for us.

Maybe the time has passed, but I would bet big money on him succeeding for us at this level, and indeed in the Championship. He's still a young man. Always make your main striker top man, make Sharp that and watch him go. We will never know.

"Driven away by 24/7 trolls who have nothing better to do"

Looks like a statement of fact to me. Or at least a definite opinion. No, possibly, or maybe. Just a lead into another troll rant, that's got you nowhere in the past.

Do you ever read what you post?

No. I didn't post what you accused me of. The fact that you thought I was someone else from another forum doesn't make you "half right".

I appreciated the fact that you had actually come back to me. "Half apology" was too daft to comment on at the time.

I never said you said he flounced. Remind me who has flounced several times?

Sean, Sean.

That is deceitful rhetoric. Shameful dis-information.

''Never insult, denigrate or bear ill will towards a Blade.''

Even if the Blade in question is a child abusing, mysoginistic, racist homophobe? For example.

I know this is off the thread, but everytime I read that, I wonder.

What an absolute legend for this club, also one of the soundest blokes I've ever spoken too. Hopefully he gets a good run of games next season (which I presume he will)...

I think our posts on the thread will put it into 'context'

The fact was it was becoming apparent that Sharp would be available and that's why I started tracking him. My quoted post below put it in context. Your posts also quoted below showed your view of the lad, n any context.

Yes, those are the 4,5 year old views of a Leeds player not doing very well. Sharp has managed to change a few of them. Let me know if you want to discuss football with the current Bergen Blade, rather than the January 2015 version. 😁

Yes, those are the 4,5 year old views of a Leeds player not doing very well. Sharp has managed to change a few of them. Let me know if you want to discuss football with the current Bergen Blade, rather than the January 2015 version. 😁

You had explained tonight that the thread was out of context. It was bang in context as has been proven since and thankfully for all of us. That's all.

I think we can all see Sharp of 2019 is fitter, leaner and faster than the Sharp of 2015 I don't really see the point of resurrecting this old thread other than to have a dig at other posters, someone needs a 🏆🥇don't feed the troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom