CONFIRMED Billy Sharp

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tongue too if I heard right?
Don't want either of them to be honest- just thought I'd point that out

• Banned
Is it a Rumour the Sharp is on the bench
If it isnt why is in the Rumour section

I really must get used to spelling things out for blokes who can't see connections. Apologies. Here goes:

"The Leeds manager is no longer at the club and it seems apparent that the new manager doesn't rate Billy too highly as he has been on the bench for 4 out of the last 5 games. Now this coincides with our "messiah" being recalled by his parent club who are going to appoint Hughton today. The new Brighton manager will more than likely see O'Grady as a key player for the rest of the season as he only has one other semblance of a striker on his books and Mackail-Smith is always injured. Right, SUFC are desperate and there were strong rumours about Sharp returning to us before he signed for Leeds. KM is known to be a fan and the new owner might think there is some mileage in recruiting a past hero and a true Blade who looks unhappy where he is and whose first choice would be to return "home". Added to that, his skills would be perfect for the role of the "1" in 4-5-1."

Hope that helps.

But Sharp is crap at the lone striker role. He was isolated and ineffective in that role the last time he was with us under Blackwell. He's certainly slower and less effective since that time and has spent more of his time on the bench than on the pitch

...... Ideal for us then :(

Added to that, his skills would be perfect for the role of the "1" in 4-5-1."

Except that he lacks pace, aerial ability, real strength and skill. His all round game is very average, although he might still be a decent finisher/poacher, although not at Championship level. He scored on his Leeds debut in August, then a penalty a few days before christmas. He's started 9 games and come on as sub 8 times. It would be great to see Billy back scoring regularly for us, but it would be a big and expensive gamble in my opinion.

Except that he lacks pace, aerial ability, real strength and skill. His all round game is very average, although he might still be a decent finisher/poacher, although not at Championship level. He scored on his Leeds debut in August, then a penalty a few days before christmas. He's started 9 games and come on as sub 8 times. It would be great to see Billy back scoring regularly for us, but it would be a big and expensive gamble in my opinion.

Yes it would be a gamble but to my mind the "false 9" role does not need pace. It needs positioning and touch on the ball together with awareness of men around him.

Sharp has great awareness of situations because he plays with his head up when in possession.

As for expensive, I'm not so sure as Leeds will be looking to offload and Sharp may well be at the stage of life when money does not mean everything, particularly when he has had the tragic experience he had with his son.

Anybody any better ideas that just might fall into place? We desperately need a goalscorer.

But Sharp is crap at the lone striker role. He was isolated and ineffective in that role the last time he was with us under Blackwell. He's certainly slower and less effective since that time and has spent more of his time on the bench than on the pitch

...... Ideal for us then :(

I don't recall Sharp playing as a lone striker under Blackwell though he did a bit under Robson when Beattie was missing.

He played second fiddle to Beattie most of the time and the thing is that Clough's system doesn't look for the striker running the channels, it demands him coming short to meet the ball and to lay the ball off to the wingers and Scougall.

Yes it would be a gamble but to my mind the "false 9" role does not need pace. It needs positioning and touch on the ball together with awareness of men around him.

Sharp has great awareness of situations because he plays with his head up when in possession.

As for expensive, I'm not so sure as Leeds will be looking to offload and Sharp may well be at the stage of life when money does not mean everything, particularly when he has had the tragic experience he had with his son.

Anybody any better ideas that just might fall into place? We desperately need a goalscorer.

I think McNulty will soon (if he doesn't already) do everything Billy does better, and if the Eoin Doyle rumours are true, he may be an even better option. I would also like us to go for O'Grady.

All this 'true blade' bollocks gets a bit tiresome. Yes he's got links to the club but signing people for sentimental reasons hasn't turned out well for us in the past, think Micky Adams and the second coming of Beattie. If you look at it objectively he's struggled at most clubs he's been at in recent years. Even Donny fans seem to think his best years are behind him and he's a real legend around there.

All this 'true blade' bollocks gets a bit tiresome. Yes he's got links to the club but signing people for sentimental reasons hasn't turned out well for us in the past, think Micky Adams and the second coming of Beattie. If you look at it objectively he's struggled at most clubs he's been at in recent years. Even Donny fans seem to think his best years are behind him and he's a real legend around there.
Sounds like we will be seeing him for his 3rd unsuccessful stint soon then

a terrible time to be a Blade!

I really must get used to spelling things out for blokes who can't see connections. Apologies. Here goes:

"The Leeds manager is no longer at the club and it seems apparent that the new manager doesn't rate Billy too highly as he has been on the bench for 4 out of the last 5 games. Now this coincides with our "messiah" being recalled by his parent club who are going to appoint Hughton today. The new Brighton manager will more than likely see O'Grady as a key player for the rest of the season as he only has one other semblance of a striker on his books and Mackail-Smith is always injured. Right, SUFC are desperate and there were strong rumours about Sharp returning to us before he signed for Leeds. KM is known to be a fan and the new owner might think there is some mileage in recruiting a past hero and a true Blade who looks unhappy where he is and whose first choice would be to return "home". Added to that, his skills would be perfect for the role of the "1" in 4-5-1."

Hope that helps.

So why is it a rumour the Billy might come back to BDTBL just because hes on the bench no credence in it apart from hes an ex Blade. I think Sharp is way past his best and hes not strong enough for the lone striker role.
He would probably be on the bench here as thats where Clough likes to park his strikers but Im sure he would look happier

I think McNulty will soon (if he doesn't already) do everything Billy does better, and if the Eoin Doyle rumours are true, he may be an even better option. I would also like us to go for O'Grady.
So why is it a rumour the Billy might come back to BDTBL just because hes on the bench no credence in it apart from hes an ex Blade. I think Sharp is way past his best and hes not strong enough for the lone striker role.
He would probably be on the bench here as thats where Clough likes to park his strikers but Im sure he would look happier

That's how rumours start Pedro.:rolleyes:

A hearty, seasonal NO to even considering BS....in McNulty we already have a player who offers the potential that Billy once promised.

I see that Sean Miller is being offered as loan material by Coventry. Seems they've tried to utilise Miller but it's just not working, so maybe what we saw from Miller was a flash of what might be.....but the fella's clearly not able to deliver consistently enough, at least at this level. Good luck to him though.

Making a serious effort to get O'Grady would be a good addition though.

I am on this Forum to pass opinion and to test my opinions, to learn different views. I suppose I have an emotional attachment to Billy Sharp because I think we wasted his potential at Bramall Lane. I seem to be in a minority of one.

We rarely have young players who score for fun at every age level.

He was too small for Warnock who exiled him for peanuts, despite his immense goalscoring record age for age throughout with us and also in the league one with Scunny.

Robson never gave him a chance because McCabe signed him before the new manager arrived.

Blackwell had to play Beattie in the No.1 role. I said at the time that I would have built my side round Sharp, not Beattie, though I do accept we had money at the time and that confused priorities. Beattie to me was never a medium term solution, though that's a separate debate.

If we had different managers at the time we would have played to Sharp's strengths and not asked him to make up the numbers. If we had played to his strengths he could have been immense for us.

Maybe the time has passed, but I would bet big money on him succeeding for us at this level, and indeed in the Championship. He's still a young man. Always make your main striker top man, make Sharp that and watch him go. We will never know.

I am on this Forum to pass opinion and to test my opinions, to learn different views. I suppose I have an emotional attachment to Billy Sharp because I think we wasted his potential at Bramall Lane. I seem to be in a minority of one.

We rarely have young players who score for fun at every age level.

He was too small for Warnock who exiled him for peanuts, despite his immense goalscoring record age for age throughout with us and also in the league one with Scunny.

Robson never gave him a chance because McCabe signed him before the new manager arrived.

Blackwell had to play Beattie in the No.1 role. I said at the time that I would have built my side round Sharp, not Beattie, though I do accept we had money at the time and that confused priorities. Beattie to me was never a medium term solution, though that's a separate debate.

If we had different managers at the time we would have played to Sharp's strengths and not asked him to make up the numbers. If we had played to his strengths he could have been immense for us.

Maybe the time has passed, but I would bet big money on him succeeding for us at this level, and indeed in the Championship. He's still a young man. Always make your main striker top man, make Sharp that and watch him go. We will never know.
We waste "small" players like Sharp, jamie Ward and Nathan Dyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom