Who is this player wearing number...?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
My dad told me he remembers going to watch us play a home game against Blackburn Rovers on Boxing Day 1957. Before the kick off many in the crowd were saying "Who is this wearing our number 9?" Doc Pace had signed for us on Xmas Eve and there were no newspaper reports about the signing. Doc scored for us and went on to be a popular player for the next 6/7 years.

I remember before the kick off at Blackpool in October 1988 and asking spectators near me "who is our number 11?". All shrugged until they heard the loudspeaker saying "Dane Whitehouse". He assisted Simon Webster's winner in the 2nd half

1713271587745.png

My dad told me he remembers going to watch us play a home game against Blackburn Rovers on Boxing Day 1957. Before the kick off many in the crowd were saying "Who is this wearing our number 9?" Doc Pace had signed for us on Xmas Eve and there were no newspaper reports about the signing. Doc scored for us and went on to be a popular player for the next 6/7 years.

I remember before the kick off at Blackpool in October 1988 and asking spectators near me "who is our number 11?". All shrugged until they heard the loudspeaker saying "Dane Whitehouse". He assisted Simon Webster's winner in the 2nd half

View attachment 182127

I remember hearing similar murmurings at Villa Park in 1990 (the game where Vinnie Jones' goal got a pitch invasion celebration even though we lost). Nobody knew who one of our subs was (turned out to be Richard Lucas, I think), even after the game had started and he was warming up on the sideline.

My strangest experience of 'not knowing' someone, was the whole opposition team at a game in 2000. I'd had to go there straight from work and missed the kick off by a couple of minutes. We conceded after four minutes, I think, but then D'Jaffo equalised soon after. I saw both goals, and then settled down again as the game unfolded. Suddenly, after about 20 minutes, I thought "hang on, who are we playing against?", and realised that I had absolutely no idea (not sure if the scoreboard wasn't working or maybe I couldn't see it). It was a weird experience, because I couldn't tell whether 1-1 was an ok scoreline or not (it turned out to be Fulham, who were top of the league).

I remember hearing similar murmurings at Villa Park in 1990 (the game where Vinnie Jones' goal got a pitch invasion celebration even though we lost). Nobody knew who one of our subs was (turned out to be Richard Lucas, I think), even after the game had started and he was warming up on the sideline.
Lucas started, played against Tony Daley for 90 mins

View attachment 182127
Boxing day 1957, was 15 and first season playing in adult local league football. I and couple of my school mates, had joined a clubs second team who were short of players and behind in fixtures, playing in the S&A league, division, some where around X, Y or Z.
On the said date we played Normanton Springs and I, my granddad, who had played against 'Springs' pre 1914 and was aware the kind of reception awaiting us, they'd been stoned out the village once for being victorious, and uncle, mi avatar, walked down from Hollinsend.
Memory says we lost, visited mi granddad's sister in law, her husband had die working as a collier, who lived there, and walked home on what had been a cold, bright sunny morning.
No memory of it but it's a dead cert. we went to the Lane later, if it was an afternoon KO, V Blackburn, and if the buses weren't running we would have walked there and much elated, despite a long up hill trek, 4-2, back.

All season I’ve wondered who this player is . Every game bar the last two / three .

Wondered why we bought him ?
Wondered what the hell he has been trying to do ?

Turns out he’s called Souza or something (someone sat near me , you’ll never believe this cos i dont ) said he was Brazilian 😂👌.

Think he was drunk 🥴 - as was the guy sat near me

Was surprised to see how long a players career was back then, then I reread the OP again and it says 6/7 years, not sixty seven years 🤷‍♂️.

1713271587745-png.182127
The one on the far right is Mick Jones. No, not that Mick Jones, the one out of The Clash.

Edit: And the middle one is Patrick 'Mr Cat Deeley' Kielty.

Last edited:
Billy bloody Hodgson. Forgot him. A typical Scottish winger. Exciting. But then came one of my all time favourites. Len the Welsh wizard Allchurch. Regrettably don’t remember anything about Kevin Lewis who is in the photo.

View attachment 182127
The one on the right went on to play trigger in only fools and horses I think

Back
Top Bottom