Ben Osborn

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I saw a stat a week or so ago that should his passes/crosses from wide left are actually up there with the best in the league in terms of chances created so it's not like he's totally shit like some claim but I wouldn't have brought him on yesterday. Granted we don't know the fitness worries over McAtee and Ndiaye as well as the management.

Ozzy is put on to try to protect our defence by tracking runners and screening Lowe, something none of our other midfielders seem able to do. Whilst I agree that he is a limited footballer, the fact that he gets in the team says a lot about our current midfielders lack of application. Watching McAtee and Berge repeatedly jogging back as Middlesbrough broke on us 3 on 3 was criminal. This has been a problem for about 4 years now. I had hoped that Doyle would be a combative midfielder who can also play a bit, but he seems to be a bit of a crock. Why Coulibaly hasn't been given a go, I don't know.

Agree. Osborn is getting a lot of minutes because we're so limited in that area.

Berge and McAtee are supposed to be our creative outlets at the top of the park. They don't belong together in a flat 3 as neither have the defensive capabilities.

Doyle is the real disappointment. He is supposed to be our more orthodox central midfield player. There to break things up, move things on. Until he scored, it was hard to see that he was playing. After he scored, he disappeared again.
The lad needs an absolute rocket. If there's a player in there, he needs to start showing it quickly.

Ben Osborn gets stick because like Norwood, the things he is bad at are more visible than the things he's good at.

Osborn's technical skills are great. Good corners, good crosses. He plays good creative balls. This can go unnoticed which is why everyone is surprised by his stats.

On the other hand, watching his little legs going 19 to the dozen as he tries, and fails to chase someone down is very obvious and very shit.

Ben Osborn gets stick because like Norwood, the things he is bad at are more visible than the things he's good at.

Osborn's technical skills are great. Good corners, good crosses. He plays good creative balls. This can go unnoticed which is why everyone is surprised by his stats.

On the other hand, watching his little legs going 19 to the dozen as he tries, and fails to chase someone down is very obvious and very shit.
These skills of his have to eventually equate to some sort of end result.

I was pleasantly surprised he took some decent corners a couple of games back. But then again I'd really hope that a wide Midfield player who practices every day could cross a stationary ball to the right area.

He also made a cute pass for Anel's goal vs Wrexham.

But then again we are talking about a guy who was bought in the Premier League, is now playing in the Championship and has, in the best part of 1,200 minutes of football i.e. more than 13 full matches 1 goal and one assist and the assist was in the cup against a non league team.

In 1,300 minutes, Max Lowe, predominantly a defender has 1 goal and 4 assists. Doyle has 2 goals and 5 assists and very similar minutes to Osborn. In 1,400 minutes. McAtee has 4 goals and 3 assists.

The output simply isn't there. Nice lad. But if he has any importance going forwards and you build the team with others like him, then you'll get relegated.

Ben did well when coming on at LWB. Up against arguably the best right winger in the division in a stretched game, it wasn't easy for him, but he got stuck in and contributed offensively as well. A good substitution by Hecky.
You seem to have missed a few forum memos, to catch you up; Ozzy is shit and Hecky is shit for even thinking about bringing him on.

Ben did well when coming on at LWB. Up against arguably the best right winger in the division in a stretched game, it wasn't easy for him, but he got stuck in and contributed offensively as well. A good substitution by Hecky.
Agreed. Lowe was off it today and we were definitely better on that side after he came on.

You seem to have missed a few forum memos, to catch you up; Ozzy is shit and Hecky is shit for even thinking about bringing him on.
It's different bringing him on at LWB than in midfield where he has been to be fair.

Chasing a game and bringing on Osborne in midfield is bizarre, LWB I really don't mind he's a battler for sure.

Substitution of the season from Hecky, that. Thought he, Doyle and Robinson were outstanding.

He did well today. Held up Sarr many times to allow others back and was decisive with the ball.

No stepovers either.

More chance of Dozy fooling the EFL into thinking he's a billionaire than any defenders being fooled by Osborn's slow, static stepovers.

I can accept Doyle at LWB, I just don’t want to see him at Centre Mid again.

Substitution of the season from Hecky, that. Thought he, Doyle and Robinson were outstanding.
I'll admit when I saw the change I had a mini rant, I was wrong he played really well dogged and worked hard well done I think left wing back is his position. Just keep him away from midfield. Proved me wrong today .. UTB

Osborn did very well today once coming on, although

a) the game situation seemed set up for what he can do
b) I'm not the sort of prick that needs to find a scapegoat any time we don't win 5-0 so I may have a better opinion of Osborn than 90% of the forum
I think he is great on the bench he is so adaptable and will play in a number of positions .We looked a lot better after he came on replacing Lowe who I think is struggling .

He did well today. Held up Sarr many times to allow others back and was decisive with the ball.

No stepovers either.

More chance of Dozy fooling the EFL into thinking he's a billionaire than any defenders being fooled by Osborn's slow, static stepovers.
He did a step over actually… but this one worked!

Definitely better as a LWB than a LCM

I would never boo the lad. Tries his heart out but is often out of his depth. Today after many substandard midfield appearances he did well at left wing back for a third of a game. He isn't a good long term option out there though as has been proven last season.
With the calamitous drop off in form by Lowe its another position we now need to strengthen in.

Back
Top Bottom