Incoming? Ben Johnson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Odd that he’s a we would be targeting a right back. Seems a decent player, but one of the few positions where we have a couple of options.

Keeper, CM, LB and CB(s) would all be well ahead for me on the priority list.

Odd that he’s a we would be targeting a right back. Seems a decent player, but one of the few positions where we have a couple of options.

What we don't know is which players might be sold this window if they're coming into the final 6 months and umming and arring about signing a new deal...

We know Princey won't let assets walk for free.

Johnson has played centre half in a back three on a few occasions.

Reading the quote below, he's practically begging Chris Wilder to sign him, isn't he? 🙂

"I’ve played right centre-half a few times at club level and I’ve quite enjoyed it,” Johnson added. “Being here, we’re probably going to have a lot of the ball because there’s top players here. That makes the system work well. As you see, the first team go from four at the back to five at the back and it works extremely well. You see some teams that have expansive centre-halves who can go on overlaps and sort of play as a full-back.

“It’s a position I enjoy playing, I’ve not played there a lot, but I’m sure I’ll enjoy it and the coaches will want me to do something similar to what I’ve been asked at club level when I’ve played there. It’s not unfamiliar to me so hopefully if I play there, I’ll be able to slot in well.”

Last edited:
Johnson has played centre half in a back three on a few occasions.
Like the idea of moving Anel centrally where has looked much more comfortable (at times) and having Johnson and trusty either side. Both good athletes who can recover. Although, I wouldn’t mind trying to get someone who can pick a pass, we miss that outlet O’Connell could give us back in the day I think.

Also depends on other positions, George forced over for Anel, would only leave Bogle wouldn't it?, I know there's youth, but, not the standard.
Also, Baldock with his value and international ability, may be of interest to some clubs?
Have we heard anything about Baldock recently??

Like the idea of moving Anel centrally where has looked much more comfortable (at times) and having Johnson and trusty either side. Both good athletes who can recover. Although, I wouldn’t mind trying to get someone who can pick a pass, we miss that outlet O’Connell could give us back in the day I think.
Maybe Wilder sees Anel as the long term replacement for Egan?

I prefer the idea of moving Anel about 170 miles further south 😁

Can't be doing with players who clearly (to me anyway) sulk and want out.

Could this mean the Irish lad isn't signing, or at least one of Baldock and Bogle is leaving? Or maybe he's earmarked for RCB?

Either way, we're going to have to refresh that right sided defensive area. Wouldn't surprise me to see 4 departures and 4 arrivals

I prefer the idea of moving Anel about 170 miles further south 😁

Can't be doing with players who clearly (to me anyway) sulk and want out.

Have to say, I do get the feeling Ahmedhodzic is here for a good time and not a long time

Either way, we're going to have to refresh that right sided defensive area. Wouldn't surprise me to see 4 departures and 4 arrivals
I'd be surprised if we were that busy with two and a half weeks to go 8 transfers would have to be at a record pace the way the club does things

Have to say, I do get the feeling Ahmedhodzic is here for a good time and not a long time
Agree, but I have to say, if he's having a good time, he needs to start telling his face !

(someone somewhere will be now busy googling him scoring against Luton - probably the only time he hasn't look miserable this season)

Complete speculation but I think Anel doesn't enjoy being in a back 4. When we came here he was obviously able to get forward often in the Championship and had much more involvement in attack. He's probably a bit bored of being rinsed by Premier League opposition but unfortunately for him, that's the price of the ticket chap!

Would be happy with him coming in, but perm obviously would be a heavy preference.

Agreed.

Final 6 months of his contract so you can see him thinking about the next move.

From the article sounds like he’s more versatile than I initially thought and can play all across the back.

Would be a decent signing for us, long term. But if he wants PL football Southampton are more likely to be there next season than us .

Bogle in the last six months of his contract. Weeds sniffing around. Allegedly.

With 49goals conceded it's fair to say none of our defense are good enough for the pl. Surely more Archer type deals where we buy £20m defenders from the ffp clubs, but send them back if we get relegated, is the way to go.

Impressive impact playing LCM

He'd be a good replacement for Baldock

Bogle needs signing up. He's been pretty good for a while, has stayed fit, and indeed looks in better shape than he's ever been since signing

And we're the correct level for him too, much like McB, so he should sign, football wise at least

But we'll still need 2 good right backs. It's worth the investment. And if the other guy can play RCB and other positions, like Johnson, then that makes even more sense

Back
Top Bottom