Match Thread Aston Villa v. Sheffield United - 21st September 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

AVIL
AVIL
AVIL

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1600674210859.png v. 1600674219333.png
EPL Week 2 - Monday 21st September 2020 - Villa Park

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/aston-villa-vs-sheffield-united.510/

Officials:

Referee:
Graham Scott
Assistant Referee: Eddie Smart
Assistant Referee: Derek Eaton
Fourth Official: Simon Hooper
Video Assistant Referee: Mike Dean
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Darren Cann

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 08.45.25.png

Our current attacking tactics involve hoping a long punt breaks for us or deflects fortuitously to one of our players. Which it does about 1 in 20 times. My bed is perfectly dry, but we need to completely rethink how we’re playing. We’re not prioritising possession at all, we’re playing the percentages and giving ourselves a mountain to climb giving up 70% possession. We’ve lost our attacking verve, we’re easy to play against, our midfield is lightweight. I don’t know why we wouldn’t switch it up at this point, we can’t play any worse.

After the sending off it was going to be a long night but should have scored the pen and who knows. We looked fairly comfortable at 0:0 but as soon as they scored he had to start leaving gaps.

I thought Burke did well. After Egan's sending off we defended really well, but we were shoddy at the back with 11 men. Extremely slow to react and generally slow. With 10 men, we tracked runs and gave them few options.

We seem to have a huge issue with the looped ball though, whether that's defending corners or long balls. or just a chip across to the angles of the box. seems to go between CBs and WBs and we're far too often second best.

1 thing I will say is though as well is if Lowe doesn't get a look in now there is something seriously wrong Enda getting beat in the air again happens far too often.

We had 10 men on the pitch for the majority of that game and villa narrowly beat us time wasting and diving all game long. No doubt in my mind 11 vs 11 we win that nine time out of ten. Fixtures going forward are difficult but they all are in this division it’s not like we’ve got Wycombe and Huddersfield to play.

Ozil...totally agree re Rammers. Hes our number one for the next however many years. All this Hendo wd have saved it has to stop
We'll keep saying untill he pulls of some decent saves for what he's worth.

It's not if Henderson would have saved it. Its would a decent keeper had have saved it and for me they would. His positioning is dreadful. He might become a good keeper for us but so far he hasnt impressed there was absolutely 0 power on that header and he couldn't get any spring out of his legs when he dived he just basically flopped downwards wasnt a great dive no matter how you look at it never mind if Henderson saves it.

Leeds is a pretty big game now. The 3 after make for bleak reading.

You get a man sent off
You miss a penalty
You concede from a corner
You are gonna lose the game

Not a lot more to say tbf

Not the end of the world,going down to 10 killed it for us.. OK without the ball but need to improve in possession.. let's move on to Leeds which is a winnable game for me. Burke and Ampadu did OK in difficult circumstances.

I’m not sure that game can be used as an example of service to the strikers, considering we had one on most of the game and were heavily defending hoping for a break.

I realise we were down to 10 men so I cant really gripe but There is absolutely no service to the strikers so I dont care who we get they are going to look shit unless they set up the chances themselves, and to be honest it was the same last season, who knows, the strikeforce we already have could be good enough with a creative midfielder behind them
The system is too defensive no-one is confident running with the ball not enough quick breaks too slow and predictable I thought we were poor in every department lack of confidence

That sounds good, however it's missing the part where Watkins also has his arms all over Egan.

He's got an arm out fending him off but it's Egan who's the wrong side of him holding him back. There's no way anyone's questioning it's a free kick if it's not against us. Whether it's a red is more questionable given the position but it's a clear foul.

Well, red card and missed pen can't do much about that.

Allays some fears about our defending, thought we were solid with 10.

Asks some questions about our goalkeeper, his positioning seems poor, he rushes to evolving situations leaving him out of position for the final product.

Burke looks solid. Fast McGoldrick potential.

Lundstram is pissing me off. Why is he taking that penalty? We have Berge who took a fantastic pen on Thursday, let him take it. He also generally quite sloppy, though he got back and defended well.

Ampadu tried a little too hard but reads the game well.

For me, Norwood, Berge, Osborn next game. Fleck did naff all.

Get Ampadu in the defence for me for Egan unless we somehow get it overturned.

Our current attacking tactics involve hoping a long punt breaks for us or deflects fortuitously to one of our players. Which it does about 1 in 20 times. My bed is perfectly dry, but we need to completely rethink how we’re playing. We’re not prioritising possession at all, we’re playing the percentages and giving ourselves a mountain to climb giving up 70% possession. We’ve lost our attacking verve, we’re easy to play against, our midfield is lightweight. I don’t know why we wouldn’t switch it up at this point, we can’t play any worse.

I agree. We have definitely gone more negative in our play (tonight a bit of an exception, given the sending off). We dont keep the ball like we did this time last year. There is too much hoof. And as for creativity - if the wing backs can't push on or hit the first man for 90 mins we offer nothing. This is not an overraction or not being a Blade. It's just the obvious from watching the team play.

Thought we did quite well tbf yes the goal was disappointing but in general we defended well as a unit and held villa to very few chances the play from Burke for the pen was top class and Berge looks very assured in the middle.

We're doing our best to lose right now Defended terrible v Wolves, missed a pen tonight and had a man sent off, that was unfortunate, but you ask for a sending off if you have that situation and it went against us. Gutted tonight, but if we'd scored that pen we'd have probably drawn that game at least.

We lost the creativity when McG went off. Really need to see him and Burke up front to see if they can gel.

So, who replaces egan, there will be a lot of calls for ampadu after tonight but I think it should be Robinson, hes never let us down and he knows the system so for me hes ideal for that pivot position

Right guys the way i see it isnt that im being negative for the sake of things. Im frustrated because we've worked so hard to get to such a privileged position to put in shocking performances like this and wolves. We didnt play like this during our most successful period in the prem or coming through the leagues. We’ve aparently improved the squad but are smashing it long all the time, being wasteful, sloppy and tbh if we carry on we will massively struggle. After lockdown we were a different team, yes there were glimmers of our old self against tott & chels but overal we were basic. Yes it is still early days so we shouldnt panic too much but we also shouldnt accept shite. We need to be better (we know we can be) and it needs to happen ASAP. Clapping such a shocking performance helps know one when your playing in the best league in the world.

For me our lack of creativity in midfield is whats killing us more than any striker coming in. We need technical ability, and calm heads to build play and be less reliant on going long and crossing from the wings. We play better with the ball on the floor so I dont inderstand any argument for this long ball game that we seem to have adopted.

Very frustrating sending off so early because I think we’d have got something from that with 11 men and obviously the penalty miss not going to criticise Lundstram but Berge’s penalty against Burnley was good, not too bad but absolutely crying out for someone to shoot or produce a bit of magic in final 3rd some tough fixtures coming up hope for the best

A few thoughts from me...

Ramsdale - thought he was poor on the goal. Slow to get across. Not much else to do.
Baldock - worked hard.
Stevens - worked hard. Got beaten to the header by Konsa for the goal. Some nice bits of play.
O'Connell - thought it was going to be another colossal Brentford display but then Mings beat him in the air on the goal.
Egan - maybe unlucky but why take the risk and give the ref a decision to make.
Bash - usual Bash display. Typical that he's the one that got fouled for the penalty after a superb run into the box when he's CB and down to 10 men!
Berge - some good bits of play but too many lax poor passes for me. Gave the ball away too cheaply. Got in on goal and took an age with it and got caught.
Lundstram - penalty miss apart, put in a shift. I just think he (and a few of the others too) seem to get outmuscled off the ball too easily, especially as he's a unit. Poor set plays and final ball. We really missed Norwood in this respect.
Fleck - not himself, in fact not been himself since pre-lockdown.
Burke - did as well as he could chasing around and did really well in his role to win the penalty.
McGoldrick - some nice bits of play but sacrificed on 30 mins.
Ampadu - thought he did well apart from giving the ball away and leaving us 2 on 3 near the end. Think he'll play in Egan's place.
Osborn - worked hard but another that got knocked off the ball a bit too easy.

We had 10 men on the pitch for the majority of that game and villa narrowly beat us time wasting and diving all game long. No doubt in my mind 11 vs 11 we win that nine time out of ten. Fixtures going forward are difficult but they all are in this division it’s not like we’ve got Wycombe and Huddersfield to play.

whos scoring for us to win? That would require attacking and it’s evident that we dont do that at the moment.

Lot of pressure on the leeds game now. Lose that and then with the run of games after that we could be adrift and history shows is difficult to close those gaps once they open.

In a way I hope this start is similar to league 1 under chris where a wobble at the start confirms that we need a couple more players which saw us sign lafferty and Moore I believe.

Awful to watch. I hate being negative about United, but when all you see is negative it's really hard not too.

First of all... the red card. I understand why it's a red, but was he REALLY denying a scoring opportunity? They were both neck and neck contesting a 50/50 ball both pulling each other's shirts. So why did Watkins not get a card too albeit a yellow? Plus Ramsdale was coming out to clear it.

Second, United look absolutely lost when going forward. Just stopping when other players make decent runs. Its like watching my sons Sunday league team try and break from the back. No rhythm. Then we result to long balls. Then there is no one there for the second ball. I heard Wilder shouting several times during the game "SECOND BALL!!" to no avail.

Third. Ramsdale has my support, but he hasn't won my heart at all. The manner in which the last 3 league goals went in for a goalkeeper it's atrocious. His positioning and how he dives and his reaction time needs pumping up a good 50%+ .

Sorry... But Lundstrum is a joke. People only like him because he had a brief purple patch last season. I said it when we played Wolves and I'm saying it again. His body language is all wrong. Time wasting in the 16th minute ffs. He looks like he couldn't be arsed. When he stepped up to the penalty I said oh no... he's gonna miss. He had a similar stance to Michael Brown's penalty against Wolves 2003 play off final and I called that penalty too.

I can't honestly think of many positives. When we lost matches pre-lockdown you could always say they played their arses off and played good exciting football. But today I thought Berge was looking good, not afraid to take players on... He wasn't exactly brilliant, gave a lot of balls away. Burke looks like he could be good for us if we can get someone to get some through balls to him. Osborn looked lively. That's all I think.

We need to have the balls to pass to marked men and back ourselves to play. I was watching us from Villa’s perspective, and I would love it if they were punting the ball back to us 80% of the time. You’re not having to work to get the ball back, midfielders don’t need to work to get the ball back, and even if the header is won, it would take something extraordinary to turn into a high quality chance. I’m so frustrated that our form has fallen off a cliff almost in perfect sync with this shift to shitty hoof. #bringbackthe10

Back
Top Bottom