Are you watching Wilder?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This is bullshit. Wilder found us in an absolute shambles. He's left us one of the top 30 teams in the country. He's left us with a very good squad at Championship level, some saleable assets, a wage bill that is under control and potentially 3 years worth of parachute payments. If we can't build on that and establish ourselves at the top level, don't blame Wilder. It'll be because the board fucks up replacing him.

We don't need to have this hysterical meltdown after every defeat.
This should be pinned to the top of the homepage. Most accurate post I have read in a long time.

I’d love to have been privy to how many times CW threatened to resign to the board and the time line of when, I wonder if after (suspected) he offered his resignation a few times over the season you’d have thought that after the 2nd time the board would have taken it a little more seriously? Hindsight is a wonderful thing though

Don’t worry wilder haters. The owners will soon appointment some super star manager from the Belgium 5th division for you all to rally behind as we descend back into utter mediocrity for another generation.
Not one Blade hates Wilder, we also wouldn’t need to see a new manager from the 5th division of Belgium or wherever if Wilder hadn’t decided to walk.

He could’ve reset his own mindset, gone again next season and set about a return to the top league, no thanks to him we’re left in limbo with a caretaker doing more or less exactly what he was doing before he decided to walk with no plans in place for next season been put into fruition.

Wilder has undone a lot of his own good and hard work, there’s only him to blame but not one Blade hates him for it, he’s only human, it’s a real shame how it’s all ended with us not being able to thank him for all the good times he gave us.

This doesn't really make sense to me. If this is a mid-table at best Championship team, how did many of them win automatic promotion from the Championship? And nearly get into Europe in the Premier League? That suggests either this team is better than mid-table Championship standard and has underachieved this season, or that Chris Wilder is a genius for taking them as far as he did (including at the highest level). In which case, the lower league manager tag doesn't really fit.

Are we really saying that Ramsdale, Bogle, Baldock, Basham, Egan, O'Connell, Berge, Fleck, McBurnie and Brewster wouldn't be wanted by top 6 Championship teams right now?
One word answers your question..... momentum. bakeblade is spot on.

We were promoted with a mid Championship team punching well above their ability using a fairly unique formation and tactics. We then carried that into the first prem season catching a lot by surprise and registering narrow victories....then we had the chance to add some quality to the squad and keep pushing forward but CW and his recruitment team failed miserably to do that.....the tactics were sussed so we resorted to hoofball.....now we are going down with exactly what we were promoted with....a mid Championship squad.

Not that CW will be bothered, he showed he has no bottle as he ran for the hills with his bags stuffed full of money...

Don’t worry wilder haters. The owners will soon appointment some super star manager from the Belgium 5th division for you all to rally behind as we descend back into utter mediocrity for another generation.

I understand your anger at losing CW and I feel something similar but your post almost suggests it was the fans that somehow drove him out when it was the man himself who made that decision. I for one will "rally behind" whoever is manager of Sheffield United wherever they've come from.

Am I watching Wilder?

No, it'd be a bit fucking creepy if I was. That's restraining order stuff.

Give me Robinson over Burke any day. Yet another cock up by Wilder with Robinson, signs him, hardly plays him and then swaps him for a complete donkey. Imagine what Burke would have done with Robinson's first goal yesterday.
it would have joined Simmo's wembley penalty as a lower earth orbit satellite

One word answers your question..... momentum. bakeblade is spot on.

We were promoted with a mid Championship team punching well above their ability using a fairly unique formation and tactics. We then carried that into the first prem season catching a lot by surprise and registering narrow victories....then we had the chance to add some quality to the squad and keep pushing forward but CW and his recruitment team failed miserably to do that.....the tactics were sussed so we resorted to hoofball.....now we are going down with exactly what we were promoted with....a mid Championship squad.

Not that CW will be bothered, he showed he has no bottle as he ran for the hills with his bags stuffed full of money...
The other key to our success year 1 was the incredible lack of injuries, we were therefore able to keep more or less the same side every week. They all knew their jobs to a tee and we managed to turn quite a few close games into wins. We all thought we had a fantastic fitness team who could miraculously prevent injuries, clearly not - it was just good old fashioned luck.

This is bullshit. Wilder found us in an absolute shambles. He's left us one of the top 30 teams in the country. He's left us with a very good squad at Championship level, some saleable assets, a wage bill that is under control and potentially 3 years worth of parachute payments. If we can't build on that and establish ourselves at the top level, don't blame Wilder. It'll be because the board fucks up replacing him.

We don't need to have this hysterical meltdown after every defeat.
For all the above, I would say all Blades love and thank Wilder - whats muddied the waters for CW is that whilst all the above was happening, he was lording it over everyone, and rightly so.

However the close season was the time to build on the momentum, and cement us as a mid table EPL team. Unfortunately the signings that he made were poor, you must improve year on year, and despite a healthy budget, we didnt.

Then as the collapse unfolded, he didnt appear to want to, or know how to, change. (formation, starting lineup, plan B etc)

Finally we now know that he tried on several occasions to quit

Its very hard to not feel like he threw his teddy out of the pram when it started to go wrong, and when he didnt get his own way. Been single minded can be a weakness as well as a strength.

The perfect CW would have done all the above, and then toughed it out when the going got shitty, shook the hand of every player leaving the pitch on relegation day, and brought them back stronger and better for a Championship fight

You say dont blame Wilder, but whos decision is it that he isnt our manager today? Wilders.

The board wouldnt be able to 'fuck up replacing him' if he didnt sail off into the BDTBL sunset with a couple of million in his bag.

He chose to go, in fact the board even tried to keep him, name another club that would allow a manager to loose every game and not be sacked?!

For all the good stuff, thank you Chris, but for walking away, not great.

I think it shows how bad things have got when we are wishing we still had Callum Robinson.....
I think the beef here is that Wilder was happy to sign Robinson and Freeman then quickly cast them off, yet we've got the likes of Lundstram hanging around like a bad smell who starts every week regardless of how shit he is.

I think the beef here is that Wilder was happy to sign Robinson and Freeman then quickly cast them off, yet we've got the likes of Lundstram hanging around like a bad smell who starts every week regardless of how shit he is.

Much like he did with the likes of Holmes and Leonard to name but two.......and yet there's still those who say our failings in the transfer market are down to constraints from the board... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Much like he did with the likes of Holmes and Leonard to name but two.......and yet there's still those who say our failings in the transfer market are down to constraints from the board... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I agree. I think the good signings have been very good - Henderson, JOC, McGoldrick, Baldock, Egan as ones who have been consistently good every week along with getting the best out of Basham. Norwood, Stevens & Fleck (until this season) likewise.

Outside of these guys, there have been others that have done a good job when called upon like Osborn, Bogle, Cranie, Leon Clarke when we were promoted, Lafferty and Moore in League One as players who immediately spring to mind. Clayton Donaldson even bagged a few important goals for us.

Common denominator is that almost all of Wilder's better signings are first and foremost hard-working players who have been signed for little or nothing. Much like when Warnock got hold of some money, it got frittered away on rubbish, as he was another manager who thrived on finding bargains, gap pluggers and "can do a job" types and lightning has ultimately struck twice.

I'm sure CW would have sat through and watched our last three games, Liecester, Chelsea and today and wonder if now he is outside looking in, like the rest of us have to do, he has finally taken off his rose tinted specs and can now see what we have all had to witness this season; what a complete and utter shambles he's left us with.
Apart from Rammers the whole starting eleven today was nothing short of an embarrassment. Even before a ball is kicked we are so andicapped with Lundstram, Stevens, Norwood, plus others, it's no wonder we are propping the whole of the division up. I wasn't surprised with that team selection today as Hecky did hint after the Chelsea game that he's restricted to who he can bring in. Really? Well I'm sorry, I was willing to give him a chance, but with no sign of any changes by introducing some young blood, eager to prove their worth, the sooner he gets back to the U23's the better. I like the guy, but I don't want him as the manager to take us forward. I just get the impression he doesn't want to go against Wilder by making sweeping changes. Or even the slightest of change for that matter.

Up to today I was convinced that the team would only need the odd tweak next season, but now I think otherwise. Let's hopefully keep hold of Rammers, JOC, Egan and start from there and build a new team in the hope that one or two of the U 23's are mature enough to make the step up. I just hope and pray that the Prince shares our frustrations, can identity what is needed and gets the management selection spot on. Hopefully soon.

What I am saying is nothing new and most of us have voiced similar reactions, but bloody hell, this is the only way I can get my frustration out.

Are you watching Mr Wilder? Bet you don't give a damn. Some Blade eh.

And we start to see more of what the core disagreement was about. Wilder openly said he wanted to keep this squad and add loans. Prince is probably thinking what we are thinking in that this squad is nowhere near good enough, we need an overhaul, and if Wilder wasn't willing to do that he'd find someone else who would.

Few contradictions in there but a valiant effort only let down by the custard pie of ' soon appointment some '

You are totally wrong true99. If you care to look back over my own threads you will see that I've probably been one of the most optimistic posters on here and have been very supportive of the club, the team and especially Chris Wilder and that includes this season. I was continually encouraging other supporters to keep the faith in both the team and management well into this new year.

But from my own point of view, I've supported the club for over 60 years and unfortunately when you get to my age you begin to count down how many more seasons left I will be around to support them. It's alright for the younguns who have a good 50 years or more to go experiencing the highs and lows. I'm not wishing for Premier league titles; endless silverware, although that would enjoyable, all I'm asking for is for my club to be an established Premier league team with the odd top 6 finish from time to time.
Reading over my OP it does read quite hostile, and I apologise for that, especially to CW although I doubt he reads forums. I could be accused of being too passionate about the Blades and become very frustrated when things go wrong, but is it too much to ask that my team can become a team of some stability? Even just for a few years?
Established Premier League team? Not without squillions to spare we wont.

Whatever some people think wilder is a proper blade. The guy used to still attend matches and follow the club even after he started management.
Whatever you think to him, he's a blade and I don't think he wanted it to end anything like this way for his tenure.

He didn't really want to leave either but that's down to a clash between him and the board. There was no way forward sadly. Years to come we will know more too.

He will be hurting watching us continue to struggle of that I'm sure.

Established Premier League team? Not without squillions to spare we wont.
I think your definition of 'established' is totally different to mine. Mine is remaining in the Premier for a few years and not becoming a yoyo club. I also don't agree that, as you put it, 'not without squillions to spend' yet we have spent well over 100mill last year, probably more than most below the top 6 clubs, yet we cannot compete with 'established teams such as Wolves, Palace, Newcastle, Southampton, plus even other clubs higher up the league.
What I'm asking for in my post you are responding to, is not asking for too much I don't think considering the money the club has spent and believe most fans would agree.

Or McB has been badly coached and managed ? Same with Robinson whilst with us ?
My god, do you think Guardiola coaches Aguero I know it's on a different level but McBurnie is a professional footballer,people are constantly on this forum saying how he will score goals and has done in the championship.Work hard to get into the box and be brave and maybe when the wide player whoever it is doesn't cross the ball,give them a right bollocking

Back
Top Bottom