Apart from promotion from the 4th division.....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is this the most least hypes promotion we've ever had or is it just me? Seems to be much less buzz about going into the Premier league again.

Might be something to do with the ownership issues or just that we think we will get spanked every week like our last season up there.
I dunno but it’s the most least bestest worstest ProMotion I can remember.

I've really, really enjoyed it. It's not had the shock factor of the last one and we haven't completely blown away teams like we did in L1 but it's been great in its own way. That week of Wembley, promotion against WBA and the final home game promotion party will be hard to top for me as a Blade. We actually had chance to enjoy this promotion whereas the last one we were nervous pretty much right until the very end.

It's not got the hype of the last two because we were expected to be up there and we've now also experienced promotion 3 times in 7 years. We almost went 20 years with just the 1 promotion before winning L1 so it was pretty rare for us before Wilder came in. That said I've definitely enjoyed this one more than the Warnock one because, for me, this is a much better team.

We aren't going to get loads of attention outside of Sheffield because we essentially did what people expected with the minimum of fuss. For most neutrals there is no story. It's just one of the promotion favourites getting promoted.

Last edited:
Quickest we've bounced back to the top flight for absolute decades.

Like said above, our previous promotions to the top flight were mostly not expected, or at least not to this extent.

Not taking anything away from the staff and players, but the way we finished last season and how the squad was strengthened, top two had to be the realistic target, and below the top six failure.

Throw in the money worries and the relief is probably a stronger emotion than euphoria for many.

Whilst I've not got to quite as many away games as usual I've thoroughly enjoyed the season and some of our players.
Quickest we've bounced back to the top flight ever. Previous record was 3 years 68-71.

My favourite promotion seasons in order (since 1970)
1. 1970-71
2. 2018-19
3. 2022-23
4. 2005-06
5. 1989-90
6. 2016-17
7. 1988-89
8. 1983-84
9. 1981-82

My list is purely nostalgic. Largely based on laughs with mates. 89/90 was just the best for me as I was 17/18 and had discovered alcohol. Following that great season, we had Italia '90. Just a magical period.

1. 1989/90
2. 2018/19
3. 1988/89
4. 1981/82
5. 2016/17
6. 2022/23
7. 2005/06
8. 1983/84

I think most people expect we will come straight back down.

Look at Forest - spent over 200 million and taken the hit of wages that that kind of spending brings with it- and by the skin of their teeth look like retaining their status.

We'll be lucky to spend 30 million- on players that will not demand too much.

Hecky & Co have already worked wonders to do what they have with this team - but to stay up simply not possible. I'd definitely favour the 30 million go on young talent with a slant to yo-yoing.

100% not spend 50 million on the likes of Brewster/ McBurnie/ Robinson/ Burke - that business was truly a nightmare.
Caught between a rock and a hard stone sadly probably finished if we didn't go up and can't afford the prem😥

Is this the most least hypes promotion we've ever had or is it just me? Seems to be much less buzz about going into the Premier league again.

Might be something to do with the ownership issues or just that we think we will get spanked every week like our last season up there.
I know what you mean and it might be down to a few reasons.
1, The top two teams have never really been pushed by the chasing pack until Boro briefly got within 4pts of us. I had us down as certs for auto promotion before last Christmas teams hardly ever give up a 14pt gap.
2, I can't say I'm looking forward to the return of VAR which to me spoils the game.
3, Saturday 3pm kick off's will be like rocking horse shit prepare for 12pm, 5pm, 8pm starts any day of the week at Sky's whim.
4, I think most fans expect us to struggle especially with the take over bollocks being played out in the background.

How old are you nine? Any of us who remember the 4th division season tend to remember it with huge affection. If you were like me at Darlington it is one of my top five United memories. Those of us old enough to be there are proud of that season. If you were at the walsall game the year before you'd understand. I've seen many promotions since, very few of them felt that good.
Dead right it was one of my favourite seasons supporting the Blades. We had some great away days and a brilliant final day

I think most people expect we will come straight back down.

Look at Forest - spent over 200 million and taken the hit of wages that that kind of spending brings with it- and by the skin of their teeth look like retaining their status.

We'll be lucky to spend 30 million- on players that will not demand too much.

Hecky & Co have already worked wonders to do what they have with this team - but to stay up simply not possible. I'd definitely favour the 30 million go on young talent with a slant to yo-yoing.

100% not spend 50 million on the likes of Brewster/ McBurnie/ Robinson/ Burke - that business was truly a nightmare.
I’m probably in a minority here, but I don’t believe Blades will get relegated. My optimistic side thinks this could be the start of a long relationship with the EPL. Three or four seasons of mid table obscurity will do me just fine.

The really good thing about the championship was seeing more games with the blades playing. EPL seemed to have too big a gap between fixtures.

I'm 33 but can't remember it, I'd presume just being involved in thay division would have been embarrassing.
Far from it, even now it was the the most amazing season being a Blade. Probably went to every game home and away. Everywhere we went was packed with other Blades and on the way there and back as well. We just had a great time in a Blade way. We don't do embarrassing :cool:

Might be something to do with the ownership issues or just that we think we will get spanked every week like our last season up there.those into draws
I can't remember too many spanking
In fact the majority of defeats were by one goal. In empty grounds
We lost 28 games 18 by one goal
If we can turn half of those losses into draws 23 points plus 14 would be 37 points

Last edited:
I'm 33 but can't remember it, I'd presume just being involved in thay division would have been embarrassing.
It was bloody great fun actually. One of the most enjoyable seasons that I've had as a Blade.

What a fantastic bounce back after the despair of Walsall the previous May. (Or was it April back in those days)

The whole ownership saga, not having a pot to piss in and a general feeling of not being able to compete, for me anyway, has put a dampener on things.

The 80's was an interesting decade wasnt it ? 4 promotions BUT presumable as many relegations !!!!

I am buzzing to be fair. Last weekend my lad signed for his first team and played a tournament. We did loads as a family, pushed youngest on swing, nice meal out and a few drinks with the missus…………I would have traded it all for a few pints at triple point and a 1 nil win over palace!!! I can’t fucking wait!!!

1970-71 top of my list.
Dave Bassett third div to division one- now the premier league. That was great did not expect that to happen if your honest no one expected those promotions. then Sir Chris we were absolute shite when He took over. It was a miracle what he did. Hecky has done brilliantly for us. At the begging of the 22/23 season. I just hoped for the playoffs. after a few ups and downs, we got auto-promotion, not my favorite promotion. but delighted we did it. not forgetting Warnock he did well for us.
now we are back in the premier league. in my opinion, I think we will struggle if no takeover happens. Hecky only has a tiny budget. You could say his hands are tied Having said that that's normal for us int it. With a new takeover, we have a much better chance of staying up. we need this to happen before the start of the new season.
I will be there cheering The Blades on regardless, UTB.

Interestingly, we hold the record for the shortest time going from the 1st to the 4th tier and back again. 14 years 1976-90.

A number of clubs have done it. Next shortest period is Bolton. 15 years 1980-95. It took Bradford 77 years - 1922-99!

What about Swansea and Wolves they have done the 1st to 4th and eventually back havent they?

First part of the season was fantastic, we were playing really good stuff and battering teams, even if we only beat them narrowly we were battering them and playing well.

It then started to become a slog for some reason, almost every game became scrappy and boring, then the embargo came and no improvements in January saw the team slump even further into a "Let's just do enough to grind out a win" attitude.

Finally, we picked up the performance levels again and got promoted and after the initial short celebration it was almost like we thought "Oh fuck, now what"

Last edited:
What about Swansea and Wolves they have done the 1st to 4th and eventually back havent they?
I think Swansea did the old 4th to the old 1st and back to the 4th, under Toshack.
Not sure if Swansea ever played in the top flight since the Premiership.
Also I believe Northampton did all four leagues in succession.

I think Swansea did the old 4th to the old 1st and back to the 4th, under Toshack.
Not sure if Swansea ever played in the top flight since the Premiership.
Also I believe Northampton did all four leagues in succession.
Northampton must be quickest to go the other way from 4th to 1st and back again. 8 years 1961-69

Interestingly, we hold the record for the shortest time going from the 1st to the 4th tier and back again. 14 years 1976-90.

A number of clubs have done it. Next shortest period is Bolton. 15 years 1980-95. It took Bradford 77 years - 1922-99!
Northampton promoted from 4th in 1961, promoted to 2nd in 1963, promoted to 1st in 1965, relegated to 2nd in 1966, to 3rd in1967 and back in 4th in 1969

Too much uncertainty and too many bad emotions from that relegation season to get in any way hyped up about next season yet.

Retain Ndiaye, make a few decent signings and kick off the season with a few positive results and all of that will change and then some.

Too much uncertainty and too many bad emotions from that relegation season to get in any way hyped up about next season yet.

Retain Ndiaye, make a few decent signings and kick off the season with a few positive results and all of that will change and then some.
Nobody is looking forward to getting spanked every week, and most have accepted relegation.

Who is most?
Your post is really depressing
We know how good we can be so how about an bit of cheers rather than despondence

Back
Top Bottom