Apart from promotion from the 4th division.....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

s20Blade

Reaction score
Is this the most least hypes promotion we've ever had or is it just me? Seems to be much less buzz about going into the Premier league again.

Might be something to do with the ownership issues or just that we think we will get spanked every week like our last season up there.

I think most people expect we will come straight back down.

Look at Forest - spent over 200 million and taken the hit of wages that that kind of spending brings with it- and by the skin of their teeth look like retaining their status.

We'll be lucky to spend 30 million- on players that will not demand too much.

Hecky & Co have already worked wonders to do what they have with this team - but to stay up simply not possible. I'd definitely favour the 30 million go on young talent with a slant to yo-yoing.

100% not spend 50 million on the likes of Brewster/ McBurnie/ Robinson/ Burke - that business was truly a nightmare.

The hope v expectation ratio was much more towards expectation this time. Excitement comes with surprise

Also, as we were going really really well and then had a couple of blood and ownership troubles, there was relief added into the equation when it was all over and hadn’t gone tits up

Still a brilliant season though

It's certainly been the least enjoyable promotion of my lifetime (the first I can really remember being 2005/06). Expectation is a big part of it, and the fact that we've had another couple of promotions very recently so the novelty has worn off. There are a few other factors though, for instance the performances, style of play and entertainment factor have been quite poor on the whole, so that buzz hasn't been created amongst the fans or the media.

We were also spoilt a bit by the Wilder era, climbing up the leagues playing an exciting and unique brand of football. While the whole club seemed to be united by a relatable bunch of players led by a Blade Captain, Blade Manager and even a Blade Chairman. That feel good factor will always be hard to replicate.

The club being wrapped up in financial/ownership difficulties, and creating other problems such as ticketing and the Kop restrictions won't have helped either. It all gives the feel of a bit of a disaster being around the corner, even after promotion.

On top of that from a personal point of view, although I won't be alone here, I'm now a few years older and football hasn't quite felt the same since the pandemic.

Having said all that, it's still a great feeling to be back in the Premier League, and the buzz should be back next year. Hopefully we achieve something that takes us to the next level and then the excitement can go up a notch.

Quickest we've bounced back to the top flight for absolute decades.

Like said above, our previous promotions to the top flight were mostly not expected, or at least not to this extent.

Not taking anything away from the staff and players, but the way we finished last season and how the squad was strengthened, top two had to be the realistic target, and below the top six failure.

Throw in the money worries and the relief is probably a stronger emotion than euphoria for many.

Whilst I've not got to quite as many away games as usual I've thoroughly enjoyed the season and some of our players.

It's certainly been the least enjoyable promotion of my lifetime (the first I can really remember being 2005/06). Expectation is a big part of it, and the fact that we've had another couple of promotions very recently so the novelty has worn off. There are a few other factors though, for instance the performances, style of play and entertainment factor have been quite poor on the whole, so that buzz hasn't been created amongst the fans or the media.

We were also spoilt a bit by the Wilder era, climbing up the leagues playing an exciting and unique brand of football. While the whole club seemed to be united by a relatable bunch of players led by a Blade Captain, Blade Manager and even a Blade Chairman. That feel good factor will always be hard to replicate.

The club being wrapped up in financial/ownership difficulties, and creating other problems such as ticketing and the Kop restrictions won't have helped either. It all gives the feel of a bit of a disaster being around the corner, even after promotion.

On top of that from a personal point of view, although I won't be alone here, I'm now a few years older and football hasn't quite felt the same since the pandemic.

Having said all that, it's still a great feeling to be back in the Premier League, and the buzz should be back next year. Hopefully we achieve something that takes us to the next level and then the excitement can go up a notch.
This side is certainly a lot better to watch than the Warnock side that went up in 06. Been some great moments of team and individual brilliance.

In terms of football after the pandemic personally I think I am even more enthusiastic than before. You don't know what you've got til its gone.

How old are you nine? Any of us who remember the 4th division season tend to remember it with huge affection. If you were like me at Darlington it is one of my top five United memories. Those of us old enough to be there are proud of that season. If you were at the walsall game the year before you'd understand. I've seen many promotions since, very few of them felt that good.

Is this the most least hypes promotion we've ever had or is it just me? Seems to be much less buzz about going into the Premier league again.

Might be something to do with the ownership issues or just that we think we will get spanked every week like our last season up there.

There will always be a little less buzz once you've joined the yo-yo club. Same as the difference in excitement levels at the FA Cup Semi between us and Man City fans. Its just football.

Personally I think we've every chance of staying up if we can recruit at least 4 who will go straight into the 1st team. Will have to make the best of loan market and relative foreign unknowns, as well as free transfers but its not impossible. We are coming up with a better side than the one that went down. So many clubs in transition next season as well, look how tight it is at the bottom of the Premier League.

Throw in the FA Cup run and the fact that we've been able to watch the most exciting player since Tony Currie every week and its been a great season. Promotion doesn't come round that often so just enjoy it, but don't worry about whether you are enjoying it in the 'right' way.

This side is certainly a lot better to watch than the Warnock side that went up in 06. Been some great moments of team and individual brilliance.

In terms of football after the pandemic personally I think I am even more enthusiastic than before. You don't know what you've got til its gone.
This year has definitely seen a better style of play than 06 in terms of the football being played and the skill of individuals, agreed. In the context of that time though, the standards were very different. Hoofball was very much still part of the English game, and we had been languishing in the same division for 13 years, so it was all very entertaining. Especially as we dominated teams, played at a very high tempo and scored a lot of last minute winners etc. For the bulk of this season, I don't think that's been the case. November to March we were really, really bad to watch.

Yeah I suppose people went either way after Covid, but there will be others like me who have found themselves a little bit more detached. I haven't watched a game on telly as a neutral for a long time now. I found it unbearable with no fans and just never got back in to it.

it's been anti climatic only in the sealing the deal with games to spare, taken all the nerves/uncertainty/terror out of the last few games, as stress free as I can ever remember a promotion.
I suppose for the lily livered who wanted us to throw the FA Cup from the third round on or completely shit their kecks when we dropped below a double figure points lead, it's been a bit under whelming but I've enjoyed it as much as any we've had (this is the ninth I've witnessed).

Quickest we've bounced back to the top flight for absolute decades.

Like said above, our previous promotions to the top flight were mostly not expected, or at least not to this extent.

Not taking anything away from the staff and players, but the way we finished last season and how the squad was strengthened, top two had to be the realistic target, and below the top six failure.

Throw in the money worries and the relief is probably a stronger emotion than euphoria for many.

Whilst I've not got to quite as many away games as usual I've thoroughly enjoyed the season and some of our players.
Actually quickest ever we've bounced back to the top flight (2 seasons).
Next best was 1970-71 after 3 seasons.
Then 1952-53 after 4 seasons.
Then 1960-61 and 1938-39 after 5 seasons.

Quickest bounce back was 1 season in 1981-82 from 4th Division back to 3rd and 1988-89 from 3rd back to 2nd.

I have enjoyed this session immensely. Promotions are our level of club’s equivalent of winning a trophy these days.

Hate people talking it down, it’s been a great achievement
As mentioned, I've had to stay away this season so my buzz and excitement has been a bit dampened. Seeing Ndiaye and McAtee has been brilliant.

I agree it's a fantastic achievement. We're in the Premier league!!! But I have to say, I haven't really celebrated it like the last one.

How old are you nine? Any of us who remember the 4th division season tend to remember it with huge affection. If you were like me at Darlington it is one of my top five United memories. Those of us old enough to be there are proud of that season. If you were at the walsall game the year before you'd understand. I've seen many promotions since, very few of them felt that good.
I don't know whats worse, the fact we where in the 4th division or the fact I'm old enough to say I was there.

I'm 33 but can't remember it, I'd presume just being involved in thay division would have been embarrassing.

I’ll admit this season has been weird but wonderful.

One minute we were flying, then we had the blip where it looked like we’re gonna drop out of contention. We nearly got taken over by a billionaire business man that wasn’t a billionaire.

The main thing is we got promoted finishing 2nd but also my biggest highlight was seeing Ndyiae and his mad skills.

think you’ve nailed it s20.

Last promo we were the butt of jokes and slurs from pundits etc about us setting a new points low bar and the fans were buzzed up hoping to prove them wrong. Then we finished 9th so the pundits will be more cautious. However, I sense the fans feel with off field antics, umbongo, talk of admin, PA admitting he can’t fund club those original doomsday predictions might be at risk of happening.

If nothing changes I’m treating it as the chance to watch us in 38 cup finals against top flight clubs and world class players. If a multi billionaire rolls in funding everything it’s a change from top to bottom and move over Citteh.

My abiding emotion is relief.

It’s not a stretch to say - it would/could have been bleak if we hadn’t made it.

Berge, Ndaiye, Anel - probably all on the move. Couple of PL clubs come sniffing at Jebbo etc.

We can’t afford to renew the likes of Norwood, mcburnie etc etc.

You’re left with a shell of a side and little prospect of being able to replace at a similar level. League 1 would have been more probably than the PL for a while at least.

Doesn’t demolish the joy of going up, but certainly if we hadn’t gone up under wilder the end result might not have been as catastrophic!

Also memory’s of the 4 points by Xmas or whenever it was last time out are still fairy fresh. So there’s more understanding of what a season could be like.

I think most people expect we will come straight back down.

Look at Forest - spent over 200 million and taken the hit of wages that that kind of spending brings with it- and by the skin of their teeth look like retaining their status.

We'll be lucky to spend 30 million- on players that will not demand too much.

Hecky & Co have already worked wonders to do what they have with this team - but to stay up simply not possible. I'd definitely favour the 30 million go on young talent with a slant to yo-yoing.

100% not spend 50 million on the likes of Brewster/ McBurnie/ Robinson/ Burke - that business was truly a nightmare.
Forest spunked money on a collection of players, as have Chelsea in the last couple of windows, Everton & Fulham a few years ago.

I expect our management to do their best to assemble a team I the manner that Brentford & Brighton and even Palace went about it.

I feel a little underwhelmed I think maybe because everything is overshadowed by the takeover and the prospect of losing Ndiaye and possibility we won't see Doyle or Mcatee come back.

In the previous PL promotions I think people expected we'd improve the team but nobody knows this time and majority seem quite convinced we'll barely spend owt.

Still enjoyed this season immensely and seeing Ndiaye especially has been worth every second.

I agree with the majority here. Not taking anything away from the hard work Hecky, Jack and Macca have done to get us back up to the promise land, and the players who stepped up when it really matters such as Illy, Berge, Ahmedhodzic and several others, but, yes I’ve not had that feeling of euphoria and I haven’t “pinched” myself so to speak compared with 2018/19. And here’s why:

1) We we’re up in January - and anyone that denies that needs to think again. Okay we’ve had seasons where we’ve blown 4 point leads with 2 to go, but did anyone honestly think we’d mess up. We were 14 points clear of third place with 18 to go after Jebbisons 4th min winner against Hull at BL. From that period, it wasn’t a matter of “If we get promoted”, but “when we get promoted”. It was pretty much a given at that point that we would go up.

Contrastingly to 2018/19, we were 2nd, then Leeds were second, then we were 2nd, then WBA went second. That was a topsy turvey where we’re amongst one of the teams to go up automatically - NOT the favourite to go up. It wasn’t until “Basham Arriving” in March ‘19 that we actually starting believing that it was a two horse race that we could win. Then with three games to go, Leeds (very unexpectedly) lost to Wigan and Brentford. Again, this was in the final three games which made things way way more exciting!

2) Lack of late goals - off the top of my head, Khadra at Swansea? Again in contrast to 2018/19, I’m pretty sure there were more dramatic moments towards the end of the nail biting climax of that season (Millwall at home springs to mind)

3) We were clear underdogs - at the start of the season, no one had us to go up automatically. FACT. Our players were average Championship players - may be harsh but that’s my opinion. The championship was full of your Grealish, Mount, Triore, Bamford type players. Proper match winners who were magical. We’ve also got to remember that not long before that, we were languishing as a bang average League one team for 6 years.

4) Atmosphere. Any one that denies the atmosphere has been poor for the majority of this season needs to shake their head. Whether it’s covid? Whether it’s the expectation? Who knows. But compared to 2019 - it wasn’t up there.

Whether you agree or not.
After the WBA game this season I went “phew, glad we got it done in the end”
In 2019 after Ipswich it was more “OH MY GOD, have we actually done this?!”

UTB

The 4th division title win was my favourite. After a number of years being crap and sliding down the leagues getting relegated at regular intervals between 1976 (first division) to May 81 (relegation to 4th) we had had no joy at all and the sides had collectively been shit.

For a young lad like me it was the first timer I had seen United have any sort of success and regularly win matches and be the too dog in a division with Edwards, Morris and Hatton. We travelled in numbers to different towns and cities and had great home and away vociferous loud support with many memorable games and late winners and only losing 4 games (all away and early in thr season). We also seemed to have a set of young fans coming through. Loved it all. Even getting turned over 2-1 at Boothferry Park where we conceded a late winner scored by a certain Keith Edwards (we signed him the week after from them) was exciting. Loved it all.

I suppose being of a certain age now I look back on those days with a bit of golden tinge of fondness and remember people I knew who were there, but are no longer here. I love all promotions for SUFC but the ones I remember from the early 80s and 1990 were different times.

This latest one was just sheer relief as we understood the importance and the shit we were in if we had failed.

Anxiety kills the atmosphere. Being so far in front made the prospect of not going up worse than if we had been in the playoff positions for most of the season before making a late run. In addition promotion this season seems to be be crucial for the future of our club. The prospect of not going up weighed heavy.

Back
Top Bottom