Apart from promotion from the 4th division.....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

heres the guardian post 19 20 season look back

Premier League 2019-20 review: our predictions versus reality​

We picked Manchester City to win the title and Newcastle, Brighton and Sheffield United to go down. Oh dear

Guardian sport
Tue 28 Jul 2020 16.00 BST

The Premier League is too predictable these days, isn’t it? Not for us, apparently. We thought Manchester City would retain their league title; they surrendered it with seven games to spare. We thought Sheffield United would finish last; they ended up challenging for Europe. We thought Newcastle and Brighton would go down; they were safe weeks ago. We thought Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford would stay up; they are off to the Championship. We thought Spurs would canter into the Champions League places; they celebrated Europa League qualification on the final day.

heres the guardian post 19 20 season look back

Premier League 2019-20 review: our predictions versus reality​

We picked Manchester City to win the title and Newcastle, Brighton and Sheffield United to go down. Oh dear

Guardian sport
Tue 28 Jul 2020 16.00 BST

The Premier League is too predictable these days, isn’t it? Not for us, apparently. We thought Manchester City would retain their league title; they surrendered it with seven games to spare. We thought Sheffield United would finish last; they ended up challenging for Europe. We thought Newcastle and Brighton would go down; they were safe weeks ago. We thought Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford would stay up; they are off to the Championship. We thought Spurs would canter into the Champions League places; they celebrated Europa League qualification on the final day.
we were certs for relegation 19 20 , we love to prove them wrong

Hecky & Co have already worked wonders to do what they have with this team - but to stay up simply not possible. I'd definitely favour the 30 million go on young talent with a slant to yo-yoing.

100% not spend 50 million on the likes of Brewster/ McBurnie/ Robinson/ Burke - that business was truly a nightmare.

Don't think you've realised what you've written.

The last time we were in the Premier League our plan was to buy the best young talent with a slant on yo-yoing.
So we targeted young players who we knew were top performers in the Championship, just in case we were relegated.
We targeted young players because they were seen as investments with potential and would more likely retain decent resale value.

Hence we bought McBurnie, Robinson and especially Brewster who was one of the top rated talents in the country.
I remember seeing so many comments on here about "pay him whatever wage he wants" and "stop stalling United, show some ambition and just pay the £25 million asking price" and "£25 million will seem cheap when in a few years he's playing centre forward for England and worth 60 million"

In fact there were loads of comments by Blades saying there's no way we'll buy Brewster because we're not ambitious enough.

Don't think you've realised what you've written.

The last time we were in the Premier League our plan was to buy the best young talent with a slant on yo-yoing.
So we targeted young players who we knew were top performers in the Championship, just in case we were relegated.
We targeted young players because they were seen as investments with potential and would more likely retain decent resale value.

Hence we bought McBurnie, Robinson and especially Brewster who was one of the top rated talents in the country.
I remember seeing so many comments on here about "pay him whatever wage he wants" and "stop stalling United, show some ambition and just pay the £25 million asking price" and "£25 million will seem cheap when in a few years he's playing centre forward for England and worth 60 million"

In fact there were loads of comments by Blades saying there's no way we'll buy Brewster because we're not ambitious enough.
i really cant see brewster doing owt at the lane now really hope im wrong but just cant see it

i really cant see brewster doing owt at the lane now really hope im wrong but just cant see it

Agree....he's a nice player with reasonable talent so wouldn't totally rule him out yet but I don't see enough nastiness and drive.
Also doesn't look like a goalscorer to me.....often looks to pass when he should shoot and looks to shoot when he should pass.
My point was more about how 90% of our fan rated Brewster as the next Michael Owen.....as they say hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Many of our fans are saying we should buy young and plan for the future when thats actually been our policy the last time we were in the Premier League,
Don't think we have much choice but to continue with this....buying young players who we know were excellent at Championship level.

It was bloody great fun actually. One of the most enjoyable seasons that I've had as a Blade.

What a fantastic bounce back after the despair of Walsall the previous May. (Or was it April back in those days)

We lost at home to Walsall on 2 May. It's one of those games / dates that I recall with clarity to this day. In fact, at quarter to five each year on the 2 May, I involuntarily start muttering under my breath 'useless bastards'.

Is this the most least hypes promotion we've ever had or is it just me? Seems to be much less buzz about going into the Premier league again.

Might be something to do with the ownership issues or just that we think we will get spanked every week like our last season up there.
Yes, it’s definitely the ownership issue. We just seem to be sleepwalking into a gun fight with wooden sword.

Northampton promoted from 4th in 1961, promoted to 2nd in 1963, promoted to 1st in 1965, relegated to 2nd in 1966, to 3rd in1967 and back in 4th in 1969
I love a bizarre fact and here’s one. In their one season in Div1, their regular certain half was Graham Carr, who has a son called Alan, who is well known, but not as a footballer 🙂

I think people are pretty optimistic. Despite Darren Moore leaving. We've got a strong side and Banan is one of the best midfielders in the lower leagues. I haven't seen too much negativity. The sleeping giants have woken

We lost at home to Walsall on 2 May. It's one of those games / dates that I recall with clarity to this day. In fact, at quarter to five each year on the 2 May, I involuntarily start muttering under my breath 'useless bastards'.
I didn't actually go to that game as I was at Wembley for the RL cup final with a group of about 20 mates.

No idea who was playing (not Leeds raul ) but we used to go for the weekend every year.

Heard the news on Wembley Central Station and didn't speak to anyone for hours.

Is this the most least hypes promotion we've ever had or is it just me? Seems to be much less buzz about going into the Premier league again.

Might be something to do with the ownership issues or just that we think we will get spanked every week like our last season up there.
I dunno, I think promotion from the 4th Division was the most magical season I’ve ever experienced as a Blade.

I love a bizarre fact and here’s one. In their one season in Div1, their regular certain half was Graham Carr, who has a son called Alan, who is well known, but not as a footballer 🙂
Graham was Northampton's manager on the day when we won 2-1 at County ground on the day of Hillsborough disaster. I remember watching him walking across the pitch from the players tunnel to the dugout wondering if he was an ex-pro footballer because he didnt look like one!

Large.jpg

I didn't actually go to that game as I was at Wembley for the RL cup final with a group of about 20 mates.

No idea who was playing (not Leeds raul ) but we used to go for the weekend every year.

Heard the news on Wembley Central Station and didn't speak to anyone for hours.

You certainly didn't miss anything. We were piss poor for the entire game (as we had been all season tbf) and nothing of note happened all game. Only a clumsy challenge by McPhail gave them a chance to take the lead five mins from the end with a silly penalty to give away. Then when we had the chance to redeem ourselves (it was a soft decision our way) we did the usual and shot ourselves in the foot. The fighting on the pitch and outside the ground was the icing on the proverbial fuck up cake.

So you probably made the right decision that day and didn't waste your afternoon watching 'our heroes' though in retrospect, glad it happened as we had the season after. But it was a very bleak day that May day. Martin Peters was way over his head and couldn't fix the shite that Happy Harry had left him with.

At least you had chance to get pissed down London to take the initial sting away.

How old are you nine? Any of us who remember the 4th division season tend to remember it with huge affection. If you were like me at Darlington it is one of my top five United memories. Those of us old enough to be there are proud of that season. If you were at the walsall game the year before you'd understand. I've seen many promotions since, very few of them felt that good.
I feel the same Wilderat, the highlight of that season for me was when Larry Lloyd mooned at the kop ..............dead funny......... and Sir Keith scored in the 89th min after doing nothing all game, (against Wigan) if i remember rightly!

How old are you nine? Any of us who remember the 4th division season tend to remember it with huge affection. If you were like me at Darlington it is one of my top five United memories. Those of us old enough to be there are proud of that season. If you were at the walsall game the year before you'd understand. I've seen many promotions since, very few of them felt that good.
Nobody puts the ball in the net, like Edwards....Keith Edwards ow ow ow

I think people are pretty optimistic. Despite Darren Moore leaving. We've got a strong side and Banan is one of the best midfielders in the lower leagues. I haven't seen too much negativity. The sleeping giants have woken
Oh dear you really have been found out, you knob!

It probably isn’t as hyped but personally I can’t wait for the start of he season.

We might be on a hiding to nothing but I’d much rather be looking forward to playing Arsenal (& scumbag Ramsdale) Man City & Liverpool and the like than West Brom, Coventry & Hull.

I feel the same Wilderat, the highlight of that season for me was when Larry Lloyd mooned at the kop ..............dead funny......... and Sir Keith scored in the 89th min after doing nothing all game, (against Wigan) if i remember rightly!
“You’re just a fat bastard, Larry Lloyd, Larry Lloyd”, remember it well.

You do remember rightly I was on the kop it was against Wigan Lloyd was player manager at the time standing in the wall for a free kick.

a strong side 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣barry bannan 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

How appropriate that you should choose Stegosaurus as a username.
Characteristics:
Herbivore
Small brain
Lived about 150m years ago
Also an easily recognized fossil
As a Wendy fan you identify as an extinct species, not very bright, and a vegan to boot. Some great irony there! Well done.

We have sold out of season tickets! We had no where near as many in them days.
That was a great time for Blades but as usually happens our lack of funds stopped us in our tracks,even with Brearley the owner at the time.Thats the way it is being a Blade! .
We are there again with an owner who can't push us on.
Credit to the Prince he acknowledges this and is trying to pass us on to an owner,or owners who can ! ,not an easy thing to do as Sheffield,and South yorkshire is not the most affluent area.
Fans are excited tempered by the fact we have a mountain to climb to stay up . If we do it won't last ,(more than likely) without investment .We live in hope!
Bramall lane will be a tough place for our rivals to come as is always the case when we are the under dogs,Would be nice to play these top teams as there real rivals ! Without investment that won't happen.
Yes excitement is building as we will see with the atmosphere at Bramall lane.
Players coming in I'm sure that will raise the excitement.
Bring it on !!!!

We have sold out of season tickets! We had no where near as many in them days.
That was a great time for Blades but as usually happens our lack of funds stopped us in our tracks,even with Brearley the owner at the time.Thats the way it is being a Blade! .
We are there again with an owner who can't push us on.
Credit to the Prince he acknowledges this and is trying to pass us on to an owner,or owners who can ! ,not an easy thing to do as Sheffield,and South yorkshire is not the most affluent area.
Fans are excited tempered by the fact we have a mountain to climb to stay up . If we do it won't last ,(more than likely) without investment .We live in hope!
Bramall lane will be a tough place for our rivals to come as is always the case when we are the under dogs,Would be nice to play these top teams as there real rivals ! Without investment that won't happen.
Yes excitement is building as we will see with the atmosphere at Bramall lane.
Players coming in I'm sure that will raise the excitement.
Bring it on !!!!
i think youve touched on an important point there finlay the atmosphere at the lane last season wasnt brilliant in lots of games mainly because we were that far clear of other teams fans were turning up just expecting us to roll teams over next season will be back to the old bramall lane imo were big underdogs and thats how our players and fans like it think we could be rocking again at bdtbl

I think another reason why the atmosphere appeared flat at times at the Lane was because the fans knew the repercussions to the long term stability of the club if we didn't make it. We knew we had royally fucked it if we didn't get promoted. So I think nerves and to get fans bring generally anxious played a part in the atmosphere. Luckily we managed it and my overriding feeling was more relief than euphoria when it was confirmed.

No matter what happens next season (and bearing in mind we will have a lot more defeats than last season) I think the fans will be able to relax more and just enjoy backing the lads again without thinking about the future if the club. Most if us probably expect us to struggle and in all probability be in the bottom 3 most of the season. If we can be outside them after the last match of the season then that would be a huge bonus.

We need to just enjoy the football again, the feeyof being at the Lane without any real pressure, and enjoy the top players playing their trade at the Lane again. I think the atmosphere will be much better for it and we will start to enjoy our club again having they backs against the wall feeling each match. More like the traditional United feeling.

I thought the 4th division promotion had a fair bit of razamataz about it. We'd not been promoted for over 10 years and we smashed the league, taking over a range of sea side towns along the way.

The Porterfield led stumble out of Division 3 was a bit shit though

Back
Top Bottom