CONFIRMED Anis Slimane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He looks like he might be the real deal. I’d be very happy with a midfield of Slimane Berge & O’Brien. That would be a LCB & a LWB away from looking competitive.
We need to get one of Doyle or O'Brien over the line, IMO (both would be costly) plus some other form of youthful legs and energy into midfield, loan?

Anis Slimanes coming,
He's got defenders jumping,
The New York down to selhurst
He's foreign but he's well versed.
The wheels of steel are turning,
The premier league is burning,
So if you like to party,
Get on and move your body.

Anis Slimane
Anis Anis Slimane

To the tune of vengabus

Played all pre season and couldn't start ahead of Basham, Norwood or Osborn 🥴 Only guess is that he's new to English football..
This is what really annoyed me yesterday, none of our signings were fit to start, or even play half an hour but after another week of training no doubt will be playing v forest

Played all pre season and couldn't start ahead of Basham, Norwood or Osborn 🥴 Only guess is that he's new to English football..

It was disappointing not to see him start, but as much as I rate PH, he is quite cautious in his approach, and probably wants to blood some of the new lads in gradually.

I doubt we will see the same 11 from Saturday start many more games, if any at all. Hamer is a acclimatised to the British game, as is Trusty, so those two will probably drop straight in ASAP, and we are bound to have a few more come in soon...surely...

No McBurnie or Souza meant Basham had to play for height on set pieces, suggests he’s another who doesn’t effectively use his size in the air but I’d be more concerned if one of Souza/McBurnie start on Friday and he still can’t get in.

Yes, the management probably decided some experience was required, some players in midfield who knew what's been our identity, especially given the inexperienced Osula and Traore starting. Traore started in RM position, though I don't think we expected him to track back too much. But Palace had Eze and Schlupp who like to find space out to left:

1692033417162.png

So I think we thought it would be a big ask for Slimane to chase after those two, while also filling in for AA and Baldock when they went on runs, etc. I don't think stamina is Slimane's biggest strength, so we asked Basham to do a job. I thought he did ok and helped make sure they didn't waltz straight through us.

Settling down to watch the Stuttgart game , the player I was most looking forward to seeing was Slimane who , based on his video highlights , appeared to offer a combination of physical presence and technical ability which would greatly enhance our midfield .

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement . Right from off , he appeared to be lacking in fitness but that didn’t worry me too much since that situation can soon be rectified by competent management and training staff .

Of greater concern was his overall lack of positional sense and awareness and painfully slow reactions which often put us on the back foot , which were also highlighted in his albeit brief appearance against Palace .

The last thing on my mind is to write him off on the basis of these apparent shortcomings which I’m sure can be greatly improved upon , but as things stand at the moment I can only consider him to be well short Premier League standards and nowhere near ready for inclusion in the starting eleven .

Last edited:
Settling down to watch the Stuttgart game , the player I was most looking forward to seeing was Slimane who , based on his video highlights , appeared to offer a combination of physical presence and technical ability which would greatly enhance our midfield .

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement . Right from off , he appeared to be lacking in fitness but that didn’t worry me too much since that situation can soon be rectified by competent management and training staff .

Of greater concern was his overall lack of positional sense and awareness and painfully slow reactions which often put us on the back foot , which were also highlighted in his albeit brief appearance against Palace .

The last thing on my mind is to write him off on the basis of these apparent shortcomings which I’m sure can be greatly improved upon , but as things stand at the moment I can only consider him to be well short Premier League standards and nowhere near ready for inclusion in the starting eleven .
Maybe that’s why PH is holding him back from the hurly burley of EPL? I think this is true of all the early Scandinavian imports?

He looked decent in the early pre-season games but poor against stuttgart and palace.

It just gets better. Great summer we’re having

On a positive note I remember watching him in Tunisia's world cup game against France and he looked superb.

Problem is a ready made Premier league midfield costs £35m plus ... were gambling, Hecky is having to try and create a Michelin star meal with ingredients from the bins behind asda

I think Slimane will be played further forward, he isn't a CM for me, he's better as a floater in space, picking up and moving the ball or shooting. Very much like when we tried to play McAtee there against Luton.

Exactly how I saw it. I'd not seen the Rotherham and Derby games admittedly but they were against much weaker teams.

I had heard good things about him so was quite shocked how poor he was. As you say he looked slow, leaden footed and they kept nicking the ball off him. He did not chase back and on the ball was anonymous really.

I came away from that game thinking we had signed two players in him and Larouci that on this evidence (granted one game but you still have an idea about positional sense, technique etc) were a long way from the standard of the Premier League.

All those saying he had to play seemed to have discounted how out if his depth he looked in the game?

You'd hope we get Doyle giving us a midfield of Souza, Hamer and Doyle but that gives is no balance of left footers.

Did you see how mcburnie went into a challenge in the training video if thats replicated whilst not on camera its no wonder everyone gets injured in training, a throw back to wilders training sessions

Back
Top Bottom