An evening with... Tony Kenworthy - Thursday December 17th

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would have been 13-14 at the time of the BDM and the shit I got for years after at skoyal was a reight pain.
Being at King Teds it was predominantly Wendy in those years - the few of us that were Blades had to endure more pain that season with fucking Curran's equalising goal (McPhail thought he'd made amends I suppose) at the Easter return. The BASTARD!

Trafford - you still love McPhail as much now then, feller?
I think we might know each other, also at King Teds at the time I would be 15/16

It seems he has been a significant contributory factor in our worst moments of that era.

It was him who gave away the penalty against Walsall that saw us relegated to division 4.

I can still see that. With 5 mins to go and the score 0-0 and us thus safe, Alan Buckley gets the ball about 15 yards out to the left of the penalty area at the BL end. He is still getting the ball under control as MacPhail comes across and any sensible defender would have got goal side and tried to nudge him wide. Unfortunately JM comes careering across like a very mad mad thing and just whacks into Buckley's chest sending him flying. A more obvious pen you never saw. I believe Buckley was Walsall's usual pen taker, but JM's efforts had so effected him, he was too winded to take it. Don Penn stepped up and the rest is history.

Now then Kenilworth, I think you & I used to get the bus (88) together to go to the match, from Oakbrook Rd & I believe we went to Chesterfield together one Tuesday evening circa 1980/81?
I think you might be just about spot on with those deductions.
Did you used to have a different moniker on Blades ReUnited?

I always knew TK was a good player but as the years have passed I have no fond memories of any of the players who were involved in the BDM.

Reading this thread however has made me realise why I thought TK was such a good player.

In addition to his comments on here I think I read on the Twitter feed that he feels current players should know something about the history of the club. I'm a great believer that all those at the club should know what it means to be a Blade. American, Turkish and Middle East influence must not overtake the true values of our club.

Final point - just wonder if our current team could ever inspire us to replicate an atmosphere like the 'night of the yellow balloons.'

There seems to be a huge gap between what we are wanting and what they are delivering.

I always knew TK was a good player but as the years have passed I have no fond memories of any of the players who were involved in the BDM.

Reading this thread however has made me realise why I thought TK was such a good player.

In addition to his comments on here I think I read on the Twitter feed that he feels current players should know something about the history of the club. I'm a great believer that all those at the club should know what it means to be a Blade. American, Turkish and Middle East influence must not overtake the true values of our club.

Final point - just wonder if our current team could ever inspire us to replicate an atmosphere like the 'night of the yellow balloons.'

There seems to be a huge gap between what we are wanting and what they are delivering.

What was the BDM team? From memory:

Richardson
Speight
Tibbott
Kenworthy
MacPhail
Matthews
de Goey
Bourne
Butlin
Sabella
Garner

Agree ,he was very strong on that. All players should be made to spend a few hours at least with John Garrett or Rooks and some fans to realise the history and tradition of Sheffield United. We lack a Tony Kenworthy in attitude and ability and have done for a while. He was always a hero of mine and after seeing him and chatting to him the other night even more so now.

Agree ,he was very strong on that. All players should be made to spend a few hours at least with John Garrett or Rooks and some fans to realise the history and tradition of Sheffield United. We lack a Tony Kenworthy in attitude and ability and have done for a while. He was always a hero of mine and after seeing him and chatting to him the other night even more so now.

He's one of only 3 players to have played for United in all 4 divisions. Name the other two :)

Paul Garner?

Yep. And the next question...

No player has scored in all 4 divisions, but I make 13 who have scored in three divisions. Garner, Kenworthy and Edwards are three. Name the other ten.

Yep. And the next question...

No player has scored in all 4 divisions, but I make 13 who have scored in three divisions. Garner, Kenworthy and Edwards are three. Name the other ten.
Colin Morris, Steve Charles, John Matthews, Simon Stainrod, Bob Booker, Deane & Agana, Jock Bryson

Didnt Paul Garner score in the 4th division for us? He scored in division 1,2 and 3

Nope.

Edwards 35
Hatton 15
Kenworthy 15
Trusson 11
Morris 4
Neville 4
King 4
Matthews 3
Richardson 1
Charles 1
MacPhail 1
The two players left must be more recent! I struggle with the recent seasons. Monty and Quinn

John Gannon? Think he scored on loan in the old div 3 against Blackpool in a 4 nil (??) win. Although his first contribution was to flatten an opposing player, if memory serves correctly.

John Gannon? Think he scored on loan in the old div 3 against Blackpool in a 4 nil (??) win. Although his first contribution was to flatten an opposing player, if memory serves correctly.

Well done! The game v Blackpool was on 25/2/89 and we won 4-1. Gannon did indeed come on for his debut, commit a bad foul and then scored a goal in the last minute.

Back
Top Bottom