An evening with... Tony Kenworthy - Thursday December 17th

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just re read a good article on TK in Backpass, spring 2013. He scored the deciding penalty at Wembley for Mansfield v Bristol City in 1987 Freight rover trophy final.
Two years,ago he still held our record as highest scoring defender, with 39 for us,,at least 13were pens.
He referred to that game ,quite a few Blades played , Waugh McPhail and Curle for Bristol.who also had Joe Jordan and David Moyes ,Paul Garner was at Mansfield with TK.

Gutted that I missed this, me and the Mrs had tickets but my Mum has ended up in hospital and visiting time at the Northern General clashed with it. Sounds like it was a good night, which is the main thing for everybody. Decent beer in that pub as well!

It was MacPhail who missed the open chance after an effort by Jeff Bourne hit the bar
My apologies I have blamed TK all these years, I am in repentance. I was right behind the net as well, remember Bourne hitting the bar. I am right in saying that it was easier to score than miss!!!!!! Ah well however it was it still hurts. Bloody John Macphail. Sad as I am I still think about that miss.

Anyone recall TK getting an og playing for Mansfield v us, autumn 88, fa cup replay, round1?

1 It kicked off big time in the tunnel before the game ,McPhail started it and it was so bad they had to change shirts. Sabellas bottle went and we virtually played with 10 men.

Who did it kick off with ?
Was it between ourselves or us v pigs ?

Saw a tweet that TK thought the Academy "is a waste of time". Did he give reasons?

Who did it kick off with ?
Was it between ourselves or us v pigs ?
He blamed the defeat on McPhail ,a for the miss and b for the trouble leading to Sabella bottling it. He said we were waiting in the tunnel and Wendy came out after ,McPhail used to get tense and wound up and just smacked one of them so everyone got stuck in. He also referred to Speight getting injured in the game breaking his ribs and puncturing his lung. Coldwell came on with the magic sponge and told him to defend the corner ,which he did before passing out.

Silent. He just said academies and coaches were a waste of time ,basically kids learn more by playing more often and enjoying it. His son has been tapped up by all the big clubs but wont let him join ,preferring him to play. He also had a side dig at the way we play ,too slow across the back instead of forward and he could never understand the formation crap ,should play with 2 forwards ,wingers and midfielders who get in the box. said he never saw Utd have more than 2 in the box on Sunday. Quite an impassioned rant about the way football is played , not just Utd and also told us he liked McEveleys challenge ,saying it woke the game and the crowd up. Football is a lot slower now due to the offside law ,formations and coaches ,and less exciting.

I agree with every word.

Sorry Foxy not treading on your toes I hope.

My apologies I have blamed TK all these years, I am in repentance. I was right behind the net as well, remember Bourne hitting the bar. I am right in saying that it was easier to score than miss!!!!!! Ah well however it was it still hurts. Bloody John Macphail. Sad as I am I still think about that miss.

It was. At 2.50ish

Must have been stood right by you then - my eyes were on a level with the crossbar.

Pasted them for the first part of the game - can still see it hitting the bar - rest is history as they say.

Took a while to get our own back, but the night of the yellow balloons did it for me - revenge was sweet :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

UTB

Whenever TK comes up I recommend his autobiography Blade Heart. Well worth a read. Obviously good on United but also eye-opening on 80s football in general and to that extent readable for fans of other clubs too.

Whenever TK comes up I recommend his autobiography Blade Heart. Well worth a read. Obviously good on United but also eye-opening on 80s football in general and to that extent readable for fans of other clubs too.

A great Christmas gift idea from the missus to me (seriously) cheers for the recommendation

1 It kicked off big time in the tunnel before the game ,McPhail started it and it was so bad they had to change shirts. Sabellas bottle went and we virtually played with 10 men.
FUCK ME!
That's been the source of so much pain for so many fucking years - 'cos McPhail started kicking off and our lads got a battering in the tunnel before it actually started?

Chuff and fucking bollocks!

FUCK ME!
That's been the source of so much pain for so many fucking years - 'cos McPhail started kicking off and our lads got a battering in the tunnel before it actually started?

Chuff and fucking bollocks!
No they didn't get battered ,but it frightened Sabella and he was supposedly our best player.
Another one came back to me ,TK thinks the loss of the communal bath kills the team spirit. Many arguments took place and got sorted after a game ,but now they just go into their cosy cocoon and that's the end of it.

No they didn't get battered ,but it frightened Sabella and he was supposedly our best player.
Another one came back to me ,TK thinks the loss of the communal bath kills the team spirit. Many arguments took place and got sorted after a game ,but now they just go into their cosy cocoon and that's the end of it.

Nothing like exposing your privates in a communal bath to help draw a close to an argument :eek:
Whose schlong is the longest wins the argument, I guess.

I can see the point, though. Stuff would have been aired and sorted whereas now they sulk like little girls and tittle tattle behind their 60" curved LCD TVs

Last edited:
Nothing like exposing your privates in a communal bath to help draw a close to an argument :eek:
Whose schlong is the longest wins the argument, I guess.

I can see the point, though. Stuff would have been aired and sorted whereas now they sulk like little girls and tittle tattle behind their 60" curved LED TVs
Or go on twitter.

Would have been 13-14 at the time of the BDM and the shit I got for years after at skoyal was a reight pain.
Being at King Teds it was predominantly Wendy in those years - the few of us that were Blades had to endure more pain that season with fucking Curran's equalising goal (McPhail thought he'd made amends I suppose) at the Easter return. The BASTARD!

Trafford - you still love McPhail as much now then, feller?

Not sure how I've managed to miss this. TK's testimonial was the first game I remember my dad taking me to. Great memories. :)

In the late 70's 1 of my mates on our street was a pig and we used to argue who was the hardest,Tony Kenworthy or Mike Pickering :)

I read that he swapped whisky and aftershave in the dressing room, what does Baxter swop for his talcum powder.;)

So let me get this right, MacPhail twatted a pig before they'd even got on the pitch and you think that he'd go down in my estimation?! I've only got one thing to say:-

'We'll take more care of you
John MacPhail
John MacPail'
All good points, very well made :D

However, imagine if Sabella had run the show that day and the scoreline was reversed. How different might the World look from there?

Just relieved that I was there for the Bobby Davison game. It was a long bloody wait, though

He blamed the defeat on McPhail ,a for the miss and b for the trouble leading to Sabella bottling it.

It seems he has been a significant contributory factor in our worst moments of that era.

It was him who gave away the penalty against Walsall that saw us relegated to division 4.

All good points, very well made :D

However, imagine if Sabella had run the show that day and the scoreline was reversed. How different might the World look from there?

I must admit that I was disappointed to hear that Sabella bottled it. He was the best player I've ever seen at the Lane and my hero at the time - I remember shedding a tear when it was reported that he was leaving the following day (to Sunderland I think) and being delighted when he decided to stay. Little did I know that he'd ultimately go to Leeds! I still remember him fondly though, ditto Len de Goey and Pedro Verde, they all brought something to the Lane that we'd not seen before.

Must have been stood right by you then - my eyes were on a level with the crossbar.

Pasted them for the first part of the game - can still see it hitting the bar - rest is history as they say.

Took a while to get our own back, but the night of the yellow balloons did it for me - revenge was sweet :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

UTB
Must have been my eye level was just over the cross bar, but I am 6'4". Yes and the night of the yellow balloons did it for me, even more in the middle of the pig fans

He blamed the defeat on McPhail ,a for the miss and b for the trouble leading to Sabella bottling it. He said we were waiting in the tunnel and Wendy came out after ,McPhail used to get tense and wound up and just smacked one of them so everyone got stuck in. He also referred to Speight getting injured in the game breaking his ribs and puncturing his lung. Coldwell came on with the magic sponge and told him to defend the corner ,which he did before passing out.

Silent. He just said academies and coaches were a waste of time ,basically kids learn more by playing more often and enjoying it. His son has been tapped up by all the big clubs but wont let him join ,preferring him to play. He also had a side dig at the way we play ,too slow across the back instead of forward and he could never understand the formation crap ,should play with 2 forwards ,wingers and midfielders who get in the box. said he never saw Utd have more than 2 in the box on Sunday. Quite an impassioned rant about the way football is played , not just Utd and also told us he liked McEveleys challenge ,saying it woke the game and the crowd up. Football is a lot slower now due to the offside law ,formations and coaches ,and less exciting.

I agree with every word.

Sorry Foxy not treading on your toes I hope.
He also made his feelings known on this season's shirt too & I think you'll only need one guess as to what they were!! I'm with him on this

Back
Top Bottom