An evening with... Tony Kenworthy - Thursday December 17th

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Foxy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
899921788.jpg

Thursday December 17th sees a real Blades legend return to the City with a night with Tony Kenworthy at the Old Crown London Road in association with SUSA and MatchdaySupport.

Tony Kenworthy made his debut for the Blades aged just 17 and went on to forge a formidable reputation as a defender. He epitomised what being a Blade was all about - tough, uncompromising, hard in the tackle and always fair, his love of the Blades has not been diminished over the years. A key member of the 4th Division Championship winning side and the promotion team of 1984 his story is fascinating, funny and told in his usual no-nonsense and honest way - it will be a great night and a fantastic way to start getting the festive fever under way!

Tickets are available from SUSA and also from the Old Crown and The Albion on London Road - They are priced at just £10 each and the doors will open on the night at 7.00pm - “TK” will take the stage at 8.00pm.

There will be a number of S24SU members in attendance and as ever, we'll be covering the event live for those who can't make it down. More details to follow on that.

I'd encourage anyone interested to secure their tickets as soon as possible, as these nights are usually popular and it's a great "intimate" venue.

We'll be running a competition for two tickets shortly, so watch this space.

• Admin
Bump... Not long to go until this one. :)

• Admin
Any stragglers?

• Admin
Tickets available on the door tonight... Get yourselves down if you are at a loose end. Doors open 7pm.

Could you please ask Tony how he missed the open net, at the end off the first half, on the infamous Boxing Day game. It would half been 1-1 at half time, and they might not have been celebrating for the last 30 odd bloody years Still love how him though

My emotion at the memory of players like TK reflects my age at the time.

I always adored Woody, Hodgy, Joe and Graham Shaw as footballers.

I wanted to be Tony Kenworthy as a footballer!! He made the most of what he had; not as talented as those names above but what a player.

He was the epitome of: grit, talent, determination, small man in a big man's position but coped with it seamlessly, haircut, style, moved around so well ----an ICON in the true sense of the word. I adored the man as a player and a character. He was there in the midst of the fight, often against all the odds. Never a dirty trick, a good honest sport and a Blade!!

If I go to heaven and live on a football field, let me spend the rest of eternity being Tony Kenworthy please God!!

Halcyon days...oh the memories. I got free access to reserve matches c 1976 on the basis that mum worked for stadia catering. Kenworthy, Edwards, Hamson, Stainrod, all were at the forefront of the reserves along with Steve Ludlam. I correctly predicted they would all do well for the Blades and I was delighted with Kenworthy and Edwards in particular.

I wanted to be Tony Kenworthy as a footballer!! He made the most of what he had; not as talented as those names above but what a player.

He was the epitome of: grit, talent, determination, small man in a big man's position but coped with it seamlessly, haircut, style, moved around so well ----an ICON in the true sense of the word. I adored the man as a player and a character. He was there in the midst of the fight, often against all the odds. Never a dirty trick, a good honest sport and a Blade!!

If I go to heaven and live on a football field, let me spend the rest of eternity being Tony Kenworthy please God!!

FGS. I've just looked up TK's Blades Career History and it spanned my 28th to 37th years. What am I talking about? I was a bank manager at 30 years old (when bank managers were real managers) and I daren't tell you what I where I was career-wise when I was 37. What is it about this game of football? It's irrational!!

Could you please ask Tony how he missed the open net, at the end off the first half, on the infamous Boxing Day game. It would half been 1-1 at half time, and they might not have been celebrating for the last 30 odd bloody years Still love how him though
It was MacPhail who missed the open chance after an effort by Jeff Bourne hit the bar

FGS. I've just looked up TK's Blades Career History and it spanned my 28th to 37th years. What am I talking about? I was a bank manager at 30 years old (when bank managers were real managers) and I daren't tell you what I where I was career-wise when I was 37. What is it about this game of football? It's irrational!!

37 years old . Captain in the Home Guard. ?. :D

UTB

I wanted to go to this having been to other "an evening with" events and they are all bloody brilliant. TK was a touch before my time but I do have the Star poster where you had to collect stickers. I think it was the 4th division team and the first kit I ever owned. The insight to life at the Lane and how highly players have been touched by being a part of it is well worth listening to in the age of the FIFA PlayStation fake, sleeve tattoo, in it for the luminous boots and the alleged lollipop sucking, jumper over shoulder, wanker brigade.

Sometimes you even get to have a pint with a fox, Mrs fox or senior fox too just to make a night complete!

Ps: Christmas do today so couldn't go.

Gents / ladies tell us what it was like

It was very good , hard to believe how long he was here playing with Woody through to Joe Bolton ,they seem decades apart. Stayed behind after had a drink with us and chatted ,he really doesn't like camera phones :) Good stories about Macphail ,Burridge and Joe Boltons dog. Nice guy and was always a legend for me anyway.

Linz read it out to him ,he seemed very pleased apart from your gender :)

I've just read the highlights on Twitter (thanks Foxy and Linz)

Two questions for those who were there.

Why did he say we were beaten before the start of THAT Boxing Day match?

Why did he not take THAT penalty against Walsall?

Edit:- Scrub question two. Just read elsewhere that he was dropped and didn't play. JUST before my time. Seen enough of TK to know he would have stepped up and probably would have put it away.

Last edited:
I've just read the highlights on Twitter (thanks Foxy and Linz)

Two questions for those who were there.

Why did he say we were beaten before the start of THAT Boxing Day match?

Why did he not take THAT penalty against Walsall?
1 It kicked off big time in the tunnel before the game ,McPhail started it and it was so bad they had to change shirts. Sabellas bottle went and we virtually played with 10 men.

2 Peters had lined him up for a transfer to Norwich a week before the game and left him out just before kick off without telling him. Mathews should have taken it but his nerve went and Givens took it. Peters got sacked a week later and he stayed at the Lane on much better terms. He loved Porterfield and Brearley.

1 It kicked off big time in the tunnel before the game ,McPhail started it and it was so bad they had to change shirts. Sabellas bottle went and we virtually played with 10 men.

2 Peters had lined him up for a transfer to Norwich a week before the game and left him out just before kick off without telling him. Mathews should have taken it but his nerve went and Givens took it. Peters got sacked a week later and he stayed at the Lane on much better terms. He loved Porterfield and Brearley.

What a wet chuffing blanket Sabella sounds!

I can just imagine the roles being reversed before we went out to stuff them (twice) under Bassett when they were the fancy dans.

a lot of Wendy fans I know were worried about Sabella. Jeff Johnson was given a man-marking job on him

Just re read a good article on TK in Backpass, spring 2013. He scored the deciding penalty at Wembley for Mansfield v Bristol City in 1987 Freight rover trophy final.
Two years,ago he still held our record as highest scoring defender, with 39 for us,,at least 13were pens.

Back
Top Bottom