A lot better

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why is he hoof-it-long? One player doesn't dictate how you play, for crying out loud. When we're 1-0 down at a freezing cold Colchester and all we have on the bench is Porter and/or Ironside, you may regret your viewpoint. I'm not saying Showumni would be top of my shopping list, but a big pacy bugger to come on and cause havoc is something anybody at this level could do with.

when he came on, harried our defence for a minute then we got the ball down, played 84 passes around him and the rest of the goons in the Doppler Effect kit and got on the attack which went out for a goal kick, I thought, 'wonderful, glad we havent got a goon like that to....' oh there goes the goal kick 70 yards onto his head, debatable 4 of one 8 of the other hand on maguires throat, the nous to play to the whistle and BOOMPH the sort of goal Lauren D'Jaffo scored ONCE for us (at Hillsborough, ergo legend...)... and i thought.... THANK SWEET BABY JESUS AND THE ORPHANS WE DON'T PLAY CRAP LIKE THAT. And we won. Your point is??

Chris Porter - 8 goals in 56 third division appearances. It's not scapegoating, it's statistics

UTB
Made Miller who played about 5 games in the league look like Michael Owen... give it time. MOM Brandy could have buried his late chance, 29 goal Scottish goal hero Taylor was inches away from a goal late on... slatings on here ZERO Porters snatched chance early on and the fluff later, FUCKING WANK WAGE THIEF etc... perspective. needed.

I accept that there is a side to Porters game that goes unnoticed. He does do the dirty work and hold the line etc etc. But in no other position are you gifted the ability to judge a player in what really matters. He is a goalscorer who doesn't score goals. No vendetta, no scapegoat, no agenda - he just simply fails to do the main task that is asked of him. The task that wins games.

Anyway, I don't want the early season discussion to be about Porter when we have so many positives to get into

:)

UTB

i think he won the play off first leg against stevenage last year in the same role for example

we went to the game, but also recorded it. Was looking for the Brandy booking last night and consequently was fast forwarding the game. If anyone still has the game recorded just watch it on ff, the passing is amazing. Someone said it reminded them of Swansea, that'll do for me.

But seriously. Just how few goals can a striker score before the " flack" becomes deserved?

That depends on whether or not the striker is doing the job that the manager wants him to do. A player may occupy a forward position, but that doesn't necessarily mean his primary reason for being on the pitch is to score goals.

Porter missed a couple of good chances, but as far as I could see, the rest of his play was good, and you could very well argue that he made a significant contribution to our second goal even though he didn't touch the ball. He and another United player (not sure who the other one was) took 4 Notts county players away from the ball.

A strike force operates as a unit and the person opening the door isn't necessarily the one to go through it.

Porter's strike rate isn't great, but that isn't just down to any shortcomings he may have. It' s a team game and it 's about how the team do as a whole. On Friday they did fine and only a Cyclops could say Porter had a bad game.

I wish we had a forward who could come in and easily replace Porter , who isnt a total duffer , but isnt the real deal either , but , and its a big but , where do you find a 25 goal a year forward, in general these days , theres a dearth of goal scorers around , the best weve had of late is contemplating his penis ruling his brain at the moment, and I challenge anyone to list me say 5 options even within a million pound budget of a 20 plus striker

I wish we had a forward who could come in and easily replace Porter , who isnt a total duffer

If all we ask of our lone centre forward is to be a link up man, then Porter and Ironside are pretty interchangeable. Both are unselfish and have minimal goal threat.

I wish we had a forward who could come in and easily replace Porter , who isnt a total duffer , but isnt the real deal either , but , and its a big but , where do you find a 25 goal a year forward, in general these days , theres a dearth of goal scorers around , the best weve had of late is contemplating his penis ruling his brain at the moment, and I challenge anyone to list me say 5 options even within a million pound budget of a 20 plus striker

If porter doesn't create many of his own chances (like ched did) then I'm not too fussed. If he doesn't tuck away the chances that come his way then I am bothered. Even just a decent striker would have buried those two chances he fluffed on Friday.

With him in the team then we are going to have to create plenty of chances.

He and another United player (not sure who the other one was) took 4 Notts county players away from the ball.

Collins makes a superb late run to the front post that drew most of the defenders' attention. We just looked a cleverer team than normal, which has got to be down to the coaching in recent months.

He scored at Hillsborough in the first game I ever saw us win there, so he will always be a hero to me.

And rightly so. It's just that someone posted above that he only scored that one, which isn't true at all.

you could very well argue that he made a significant contribution to our second goal even though he didn't touch the ball. He and another United player (not sure who the other one was) took 4 Notts county players away from the ball.

Porter.jpg

I'm perhaps unqualified to comment on Porter but, you've guessed, I will. Even from a seat 11,ooo miles away, I thought that he did a lot of grafting off the ball. which was good. Unfortunately , as all strikers do, he missed a couple on the chocolate line. Reasonably satisfied on this display that he will earn his corn. 6.5 mark

That was some of the worst defending I've ever seen. I didn't realise how bad it was until I watched the game again on Saturday night. Yes, I'm THAT sad.

When Leacock and Showunmi both followed Collins and then started grappling each other thinking they were a United player I just burst out laughing. It was really good, intelligent movement from Collins, Porter and Maguire though, you can tell that's been worked on in training.

And rightly so. It's just that someone posted above that he only scored that one, which isn't true at all.

didnt mean that though just meant he sxcores one memorable goal and hes a legend...

Collins makes a superb late run to the front post that drew most of the defenders' attention. We just looked a cleverer team than normal, which has got to be down to the coaching in recent months.
agree totally.. the amount of off the ball movement was impressive.. we even had movement for throw ins

i think he meant that if you score only 'one' goal.. against the right opposition, at the right time etc.. you seem to attain 'legend' status.. unless you are called Akinbiyi
personally (i'll get slated for this) i could never see why Mr Booker has legend status but hey

Back
Top Bottom