7 new rules next season - Good or Bad?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Like all new rules it will be zealously applied in August and September. Then by March we'll have had 2 or 3 times where the ref will have had to go against the home team in a huge moment but bottled it. And we'll be back to the old rules

Exactly !

Is the rule of surrounding the ref and gobbing off still a yellow ? If it is then it’s dead in the water - the levels of abuse aimed at the officials has gone back to what it was 10 years ago which is disgraceful.

The substitute one is stupid, just stop the clock whenever a player is injured, a substitution is made or the ball goes out of play until it’s play again.

Be there all day! Isn’t the ball only in play for an average of 50-60mins per game?? Sure I read that a few years back

Be there all day! Isn’t the ball only in play for an average of 50-60mins per game?? Sure I read that a few years back
I cannot understand why the 4th official isn’t in charge of time as per rugby. They’re all miked up so the ref says, stop the clock and it’s done. Also, have the clock displayed in the ground, once the ball is dead after the time is up, that’s that. It would bring complete transparency to the time keeping so we all know where we are and it would remove any shenanigans like “Fergie time” oh, hang on this is FIFA controlled, that bastion of fair play and honesty.............

Rule 4 - Goalkeepers’ behaviour for penalties

Rule 4½: Goalkeepers will not be allowed to start diving when the ball is 12 yards away. Unlike Mo Salah.

Rule 4¾: We go over to Danny Murphy in the studio who will say 'I've seen them given'.

Rule 6 - Accidental handballs

Rule 6½: As usual, it will only be deemed 'accidental' depending on the team/player. If it's unwanted teams like Sheffield United, it will always be 'deliberate'.

To avoid any confusion, see Rule 4¾.

That Celebrations one is absolute bollocks. Who makes these up?

Mardy Leeds fans and players?

Rule 7 - Celebrations

Rule 7½: Sheffield United fans and players will no longer be allowed to celebrate 'as if they're already up'. © Patrick Bamford.

Rule 8-and-a-bit - Injuries

If a player feigns injury hoping to stop play and get his entire defence behind the ball, it will only be deemed genuine if said player holds his head (even if he's been kicked in the bollocks). The referee, thinking immediate brain surgery is needed will hold up play until the 'injured player' makes a miraculous and immediate recovery.

I cannot understand why the 4th official isn’t in charge of time as per rugby. They’re all miked up so the ref says, stop the clock and it’s done. Also, have the clock displayed in the ground, once the ball is dead after the time is up, that’s that. It would bring complete transparency to the time keeping so we all know where we are and it would remove any shenanigans like “Fergie time” oh, hang on this is FIFA controlled, that bastion of fair play and honesty.............

Cracking points made there

The hand ball change is okay I guess.

There's still too much worrying about edge cases in football where the really difficult decisions steal the show. Meanwhile there's a tolerance for an absolute lack of respect for officials and time wasting is allowed until the 85th minute where a token booking will be given.

I can live with the idea that some offsides are close and some happen very quickly, that whether handball is deliberate or not can be a tough call, in a way that's part of the excitement when you're watching the game. Big moments, close calls, games swinging in a second.

What I hate is that keepers can catch the ball, needlessly fall to the ground, and eat up thirty seconds before they release it. Against QPR this season we were in the sixth fucking minute when the ref first warned a player for taking too long on a throw. Players crowd officials, shout at linesmen. My biggest annoyance by far is that when you get a free kick a player would be booked for kicking the ball away, but they won't be booked for picking it up, running fifteen yards with it, throwing it back slowly, and then another player on their team blocks the ball half way back to the spot. All of that is "delaying the restart of the game" and a booking under the rules, but football continues to play by convention.

Stamp out all the shit that breaks up games and bores fans to tears and then we can worry about refs sometimes making mistakes over things that happen in the blink of an eye.

The hand ball change is okay I guess.

There's still too much worrying about edge cases in football where the really difficult decisions steal the show. Meanwhile there's a tolerance for an absolute lack of respect for officials and time wasting is allowed until the 85th minute where a token booking will be given.

I can live with the idea that some offsides are close and some happen very quickly, that whether handball is deliberate or not can be a tough call, in a way that's part of the excitement when you're watching the game. Big moments, close calls, games swinging in a second.

What I hate is that keepers can catch the ball, needlessly fall to the ground, and eat up thirty seconds before they release it. Against QPR this season we were in the sixth fucking minute when the ref first warned a player for taking too long on a throw. Players crowd officials, shout at linesmen. My biggest annoyance by far is that when you get a free kick a player would be booked for kicking the ball away, but they won't be booked for picking it up, running fifteen yards with it, throwing it back slowly, and then another player on their team blocks the ball half way back to the spot. All of that is "delaying the restart of the game" and a booking under the rules, but football continues to play by convention.

Stamp out all the shit that breaks up games and bores fans to tears and then we can worry about refs sometimes making mistakes over things that happen in the blink of an eye.

Completely on board with this. I do find it a bit odd that while football has exploded as an entertainment product (sorry, but it is), with constantly increasing TV revenue, ticket costs etc, there's so little conversation about removing dead time from the game, or stopping timewasting generally.

I get that a stopping clock is an incredibly drastic move and I'm not all that sure how I'd feel about it (you'd need to shorten the actual game length to 60 mins or so, for starters). But I'd be all for things like automatic bookings for opposition players deliberately touching the ball / getting in the way of the ball at freekicks and throwins as you've described.

I also wondered if we could ban substitutions after say the 80th minute unless it's a genuine injury (can of worms, sure). Those subs not only waste time but break up the flow of the game and give teams under the cosh a breather.

Other easy changes for subs: the player coming on enters the field as soon as the board goes up. None of this faffing about waiting for the guy coming off to trudge his way to the sideline. If the sub isn't in position by the time the other guy leaves the field, tough shit, play restarts. Also if there's multiple subs being made at once, they both come on/off at the same time.

Finally, max 20 seconds for a keeper to take a goal kick, starting from the moment they receive the ball - corner to the opposition if they overrun. I'm not paying to watch someone knock mud off their boots.

Football could learn from ice hockey that the clock should stop when the ball is out, either that or do the Futsal thing where you get a certain amount of time to get the ball the f*ck outta there or possession changes.

Completely on board with this. I do find it a bit odd that while football has exploded as an entertainment product (sorry, but it is), with constantly increasing TV revenue, ticket costs etc, there's so little conversation about removing dead time from the game, or stopping timewasting generally.

I get that a stopping clock is an incredibly drastic move and I'm not all that sure how I'd feel about it (you'd need to shorten the actual game length to 60 mins or so, for starters). But I'd be all for things like automatic bookings for opposition players deliberately touching the ball / getting in the way of the ball at freekicks and throwins as you've described.

I also wondered if we could ban substitutions after say the 80th minute unless it's a genuine injury (can of worms, sure). Those subs not only waste time but break up the flow of the game and give teams under the cosh a breather.

Other easy changes for subs: the player coming on enters the field as soon as the board goes up. None of this faffing about waiting for the guy coming off to trudge his way to the sideline. If the sub isn't in position by the time the other guy leaves the field, tough shit, play restarts. Also if there's multiple subs being made at once, they both come on/off at the same time.

Finally, max 20 seconds for a keeper to take a goal kick, starting from the moment they receive the ball - corner to the opposition if they overrun. I'm not paying to watch someone knock mud off their boots.

I'd love to see some kind of retreat rule where after the ball is out of play the opposition simply can't touch the ball. It'd take out any ambiguity over returning the ball slowly, sticking a foot out to stop the ball when it's being returned for a free kick, all that stuff.

But my major point is that you don't even need rule changes here. The rules state that it's an offence to "deliberately delay the restart of play". And every single person watching the game knows that that rule gets violated on 9/10 free kicks. I don't think Henderson has been booked for time wasting all season even while our fans (me included) are laughing at his antics like going to fetch the ball and then throwing it ten yards past the six yard box so he has to fetch it again. And we're far from the worst for that kind of thing.

There's so much discussion in football about "Oh that's a bit harsh" and "Well, you'd be booking everyone" rather than adhering to the laws of the game. We question referees when a red card is a close decision instead of questioning players for bad decisions.

I guess if you do "any contact between hand/arm and ball = foul" then you'll get teams deliberately trying to flick the ball into defenders' hands in the box.

Beans I take my hat off to you. Mane last night showed exactly what you meant. He definitely flicked the ball onto the spurs man's arm otherwise he was playing the ball to no- one. Unfortunately the referee didn't understand the rule and thought it should be applied as I originally did. Evidence why you was right and me wrong.

I have some good news for you, it's apparently against the laws of the game:

Are we looking at two different things here though? One (header on knees) being deception, the other (heading goal-kick back) just getting around the law? I hope it isn’t allowed, but as it’s new I’ve not seen that what they did in this game isn’t in keeping with the new rule.

Are we looking at two different things here though? One (header on knees) being deception, the other (heading goal-kick back) just getting around the law? I hope it isn’t allowed, but as it’s new I’ve not seen that what they did in this game isn’t in keeping with the new rule.

There's room for interpretation with the actual wording of the law, but I've seen people saying that it would be classed as unsporting behaviour because of this:

"CAUTIONS FOR UNSPORTING BEHAVIOUR

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour including if a player:
  • attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)
  • changes places with the goalkeeper during play or without the referee’s permission (see Law 3)
  • commits in a reckless manner a direct free kick offence
  • commits a foul or handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack
  • commits a foul which interferes with or stops a promising attack except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball
  • denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by an offence which was an attempt to play the ball and the referee awards a penalty kick
  • handles the ball in an attempt to score a goal (whether or not the attempt is successful) or in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent a goal
  • makes unauthorised marks on the field of play
  • plays the ball when leaving the field of play after being given permission to leave
  • shows a lack of respect for the game
  • uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball (including from a free kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law, whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with the hands
  • verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart

Emphasis on the "deliberate trick" part, which as I say is somewhat open to interpretation but I imagine is drawing a distinction between simply heading the ball back to the keeper as we see defenders do as part of "normal" play, and flicking it up to head back / kneeling down like Verratti did.

I think the most interesting introduction would be to mic up the refs so you can hear exactly what they’re saying and what is being said to them. It may help remove the allegation of bias towards big clubs and intimidation by their players, or indeed, expose the problems so they can be dealt with.

This BBC article has a bit more info about handballs:

The law remains that deliberate handball is an offence. But accidental handball will also be a free-kick if...
  • the ball goes into the goal off an attacker
  • a player gets the ball using their arm or hand and then scores, or creates a goalscoring opportunity
  • a player's hand or arm has made their body "unnaturally bigger"
  • the player's arm or hand is above their shoulder (unless the player has controlled the ball onto their own arm or hand)
But a handball will not be a free-kick if...
  • the ball is knocked on to a hand by the player in question or a nearby player
  • the arm or hand is close to their body and "has not made their body unnaturally bigger"
  • if a player is falling and the ball touches their hand or arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body - but not extended to make the body bigger

Var and the new rules will be Guinea pigged by the likes of us before they get chance to upset the big six.

A question on the “Managers special” FH show tonight.

“How will they affect the game?”

I got the impression none of the local managers knew what they were?

Do you know what they are? (No Googling!)

I don’t! I only heard of the one that we fell foul of during the friendly with Betis. But I’ve forgotten what that was now!😲

Summat about being allowed to take goal kicks with players in the box? That’s one isn’t it?

What are the others?

And “how will they affect the game?”

They probably won’t unless somebody tells us what they are. And the referees don’t know the current rules so learning 7 new ones is going to be tough!

I noticed on Saturday that both sides were taking advantage of the goal kicks (being inside the box) rule. I think that one could make a difference in a small way, and only learned about the hitting the referee one when I was at the Betis game.

I noticed on Saturday that both sides were taking advantage of the goal kicks (being inside the box) rule. I think that one could make a difference in a small way, and only learned about the hitting the referee one when I was at the Betis game.

What happens if a dog runs on the pitch and the ball hits him and he scores a goal?

It happened once! Way back in the ‘70’s. And the goal stood. (I think?). I bet someone on here will know the details. All I remember is the fans singing, “sign him on”.😀

I can remember three.

1. Goal kicks - GKs are now allowed to pass it to a defender INSIDE the box
2. If a goal is scored off the arm, accidentally or not, it's disallowed
3. Players being substituted OFF must leave via the nearest route off the pitch

A question on the “Managers special” FH show tonight.

“How will they affect the game?”

I got the impression none of the local managers knew what they were?

I don’t! I only heard of the one that we fell foul of during the friendly with Betis. But I’ve forgotten what that was now!😲

Summat about being allowed to take goal kicks with players in the box? That’s one isn’t it?

What are the others?

And “how will they affect the game?”

They probably won’t unless somebody tells us what they are. And the referees don’t know the current rules so learning 7 new ones is going to be tough!

Think the Betis one was blowing the ball dead when it hits the referee.

There’s also a rule about goalies not touching the posts for penalties & one about deliberate handball

What happens if a dog runs on the pitch and the ball hits him and he scores a goal?

It happened once! Way back in the ‘70’s. And the goal stood. (I think?). I bet someone on here will know the details. All I remember is the fans singing, “sign him on”.😀
Sure that was a regular question in 'ask the ref ' in shoot magazine in the 70s. Think the goal stood.

Will it be counted in the attendance............ coat

Cant have attacking team players in a defensive wall during a free kick. Think Bash fell foul of this during the Betis game as well, and might have been what Darren Moore was banging on about man marking/zonal marking

I can remember three.

1. Goal kicks - GKs are now allowed to pass it to a defender INSIDE the box
2. If a goal is scored off the arm, accidentally or not, it's disallowed
3. Players being substituted OFF must leave via the nearest route off the pitch

Thanks for this list. I'm not going to google it, I'll just see what pops up.

1. Can't think of how this will change much.

Anyone: any idea why this is being changed?

2. This seems to me, to be an adjusted rule to facilitate weaknesses in VAR. What if an defender looks to have contributed to the deflection (i.e. slightly pushed the attacker, and it brushes his arm).

I've not yet seen one, but I assume there is a large thread about VAR somewhere? If anyone can link it, it'll be interesting to read views :)

I'm not sold at all on it. That womens WC Scotland game I watched, completely lost faith in it. (however, that's reminded me of them discussing changes in keeper movements, for VAR, so that could be another of the 7 - though not sure what rule will be)

3. Will VAR and its Hawkeye instantly work out that he took a slightly longer route to slow the game, and tell the ref to book him? If not, that'll be next.

-

I think the game will just turn into a complex algorithm eventually. Why even cheer when score?! They'll be a 10% chance it won't stand.

-

Not good enough!

Name that dog? ;)

Spot.

I'm sure they named newspaper weekly competitions after this in the past :D

-

On subject of dodgy goals, and ruining values of VAR... i.e up holding laws!

can anyone remember the game (not us), I think at Wembley, a famous goal, as the attacker just rugby tackled the keeper (practically killing him 😂), and the goal stood!

VAR anyone please?

Back
Top Bottom