Blades or Toffees

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this thread touches on why others have talked about. Was thinking about the whole ‘do we enjoy the Premier’ thing. And then I thought of Everton. They are surely the aim for what many of us (me included - at least he fire this season) of constant Premier League establishment and mid table / relegation battles. Obviously, they have never actually been relegated from Prem. I’m no aligning the sizes of both clubs but just asking a simple question: If hold you have rather had their past thirty years in prem over what we have witnessed?

Initially, it seems like an obvious yes but then think about it. While they drift around the bottom two thirds of the prem, never doing anything of note we have been on an epic journey, albeit with downs as well as ups. But remember how amazing it was when Brown was smashing them in from twenty yards every week for about 60 games, or when we finally got promoted back to the prem over the easter weekend, or Sharp’s 30 League One goals and the Wilder match through the Championship. And there is al the bad days that go along with that but I think I’d rather take that rollercoaster than sit on a flat line in the middle of the premier league just about managing to avoid relegation and occasionally sneaking into a tinpot European cup against some unknown Slovakian army team.

So, removing obvious allegiances, which team would you rather support? League position wise in Premier League era (not back when Everton were actually good, which doesn’t count because Sky hadn’t invented football then).

It's a really tricky one and I think something that all Blades have been fighting with all season. What's the point in going up if we have seasons like this, or being faced with being a Palace (or in your scenario, an Everton).

I'd personally settle for ups and downs, with a few seasons in the Prem here and there if we could occasionally have a season like 19-20, or like Brentford have had the last couple... or even more so, Brighton. They've had a spectacular time and show that with clever investment and a bit of luck, medium sized clubs such as ours can challenge.

If it means the odd relegation, then so be it. I don't need mid table mediocrity or constant scraps for survival. When you're not doing terribly, the Championship is a great division and I'm not looking at it glumly next season, but as a chance to reset a touch.

Not even a question, the Blades!
I can’t stand Everton anyway, and have never forgiven em, for the way they relegated us in 94.
They’ve dodged bullet after bullet since then, and I sincerely hope, there’s one in the revolver for them this season, on the last day, with the Blades climbing above them in the dying minutes.
Oh sweet sweet revenge!

Although I get the point, I think the thread misses the point. We don't support teams to win (well some do...) we do it because the club in some way resonates with who we are.

That might be because of family, where you live, the culture, the ethos, the types of players etc.

Although its nice to win and it hurts when we lose (and keep losing, over, and over, and over again...) I wouldn't change any of it.

Walking pat BDTBL or hearing John Denver and instantly thinking of a chip butty. Thats what we are. players, managers, owners come and go. Blades remain.

I remember being at the ground seeing JOC's header go in against Ipswich. I wouldn't change that for the world.

Apologies in advance if this thread touches on why others have talked about. Was thinking about the whole ‘do we enjoy the Premier’ thing. And then I thought of Everton. They are surely the aim for what many of us (me included - at least he fire this season) of constant Premier League establishment and mid table / relegation battles. Obviously, they have never actually been relegated from Prem. I’m no aligning the sizes of both clubs but just asking a simple question: If hold you have rather had their past thirty years in prem over what we have witnessed?

Initially, it seems like an obvious yes but then think about it. While they drift around the bottom two thirds of the prem, never doing anything of note we have been on an epic journey, albeit with downs as well as ups. But remember how amazing it was when Brown was smashing them in from twenty yards every week for about 60 games, or when we finally got promoted back to the prem over the easter weekend, or Sharp’s 30 League One goals and the Wilder match through the Championship. And there is al the bad days that go along with that but I think I’d rather take that rollercoaster than sit on a flat line in the middle of the premier league just about managing to avoid relegation and occasionally sneaking into a tinpot European cup against some unknown Slovakian army team.

So, removing obvious allegiances, which team would you rather support? League position wise in Premier League era (not back when Everton were actually good, which doesn’t count because Sky hadn’t invented football then).
If we're giving everything to stay up then we should be choosing the Everton option, to play year in year out in the bext league in Europe and signing better players, building a bigger more modern stadium, it's a no brainer imo

Blades. However, going up regularly from the Championship loses its appeal, the more you do it (see last time when the celebrations were more muted).

A semi-realistic aim would be to have a few years in the Premier League, win something (finally) and have a season in Europe. I'd then be fairly happy for us to repeat a cycle of going back down and coming back up/struggling.

I don't like Everton but in my lifetime they've won the league twice, finished in the top 10 nearly 30 times, won the FA Cup twice (finalists six times) and won the European Cup Winners' Cup.

I know that goes back beyond the last 30 years, but I would very much take that for United.

If you never experience the disappointment of relegation, you never enjoy the delights of promotion. Given that the big clubs of the PL have made it almost impossible for others to win big trophies (as Ipswich, Burnley, Derby, etc used to be able to do), relegation is sadly the only viable route to major success. How often will Leicester’s achievement be repeated in the current set-up?

The OP is ultimately asking to swap the goal of one sort of sustainability for another. Blades - promotions, relegations and the goal of becoming established in the PL. Everton - mid table mediocrity, goal of a cup or lower European qualification, relegation = big trouble financially. Being realistic they are about as far from winning the PL as we are but spending a lot more in the process.

I'll take a promotion every few seasons over the annual aim of trying to above 18th in the league. The longer term issue is that once (if) we achieve our current aim of an established PL team then we essentially become an Everton by default.

It’s a good question and I think that I would choose Blades over the past 20 years, though we really should be an Everton type club, for the size of city and fan base. I think that if we were getting or fighting for European football most years, seeing a mixture of quality players and top young talent, and improving the stadium, I would be happy just being in the Premier League. The last 3 seasons, 2 in Premier League and the Championship, despite the promotion, have felt a bit meh, and I think that is due to the lack of strategy and investment from the top.

What most people want to see year on year I guess is progression. Yes we want the team this season to be better than last season and next season to be better still. It also means improving the ground, whether it’s just getting the beer served quicker at half time, filling in corners, redeveloping the Kop etc. A higher category academy. Whatever.

If some of that happens then it’s progress.

Everton seemed not to progress in any direction for years at high expense so I can understand their fans moaning. Of course they may now yet be christening their stadium in the Championship. Still - 1994 and Segers…

I’d have some sympathy for Charlton fans as well because they have had nothing really to show for their stint in the top division when for a good period they were not even in the relegation mix but I recall they were were mainly slagging off Curbishley for not playing like Barcelona.

Without major investment and I detest money buying success but if we became established we could do what both Wigan and Portsmouth did and have the memories of winning major cups.
Both incidently then had serious financial issues but both sets of fans have seen there clubs win a major trophy.

Toffees deffo, although they can be very chewy and pull out existing fillings it's git to be better than knowing in razor blades regardless if they are Sharp or blunt.

The Everton comparison can be applied to most of those clubs outside the big 6. The likes of Brighton, Villa, Brentford will have seasons when they struggle and their owners will change eventually and they’ll be in the shit financially.

Everton are the same.

I’d rather us have a model where we have a bit of a scrap when we’re promoted and that the 9th place finish might happen once every blue moon. At the moment the choice is to be a decent championship team or be a shit PL team. The only logical thing to change is the owner and it’s not like he’s not trying.

It might also be funny to throw caution to the wind and just spend shitloads, bring amazing players in on high wages and end up below Chesterfield in 5 years, but probably not 🤣

I think it's really a question of do we want what we have always had, or do we want to experience something different that no one has experienced in the last 30 years , I personally would like something different to experience mid table mediocrity and the occasional push for Europe would be a refreshing change

Our glory years (within living memory for some) are Woodward, Curry and a few mid table seasons in the top flight ending in relegation. EFC have largely done that since the 50’s without the relegation

Ask a load of Sheffield United fans on a Sheffield United forum if they'd rather support Sheffield United or Everton and they all say Sheffield United.

Nice!

Looking forward to tomorrow's poll, who was the better midfielder, Alan Woodward or Gary Megson?
Or another poll: who actually reads the threads and who just looks at the title and assumes the rest for themselves. Good idea.

Or another poll: who actually reads the threads and who just looks at the title and assumes the rest for themselves. Good idea.

I read your opening post, it doesn't make sense.

And I can't even begin to get my head around a Sheffield United fan using the phrase, 'tinpot European Cup'.

I mean, wow.

Back
Top Bottom