CW v Hecky

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bakeblade

Reaction score
7 Premier league games into CWs tenure, I thought I'd compare with Heckys 14 games.
Hecky - 5 points, game average .36, 38 games expected 13 points, goals for 11, against 39
CW - 5 points, game average .71, 38 games expected 27 points, goals for 6 against 12.
Conclusion CW and his team are getting much more out of the group than Hecky did, we are far more competitive and are conceding far fewer goals.
Clearly we are not going to stay up, however the remainder of the season should be much less embarrassing and we are looking good for next season in the championship.

I will say Hecky was a couple of points light as we should have beaten Spurs away or at worst drawn and won at home to Everton it but the same argument can be made for Wilder.

Where I think we should have won against West Ham, Luton and probably Villa under Wilder.

We do look like we have a plan under Wilder.

Not really a contest. Under Hecky, we didn’t look like winning games of football. It was lacklustre, devoid of any kind of attacking intent and defensively weak.

We’ve seen a pretty steep improvement in terms of effort and chance creation under Wilder. Defensively there are still problems, but they’re always going to exist in the premier league. Going into next season’s championship, the club absolutely have to be 100% behind Wilder in every aspect or were fucked.

We are miles better under Wilder. The results probably haven't reflected just how much better we have been but I think everyone can see it.

I don't think we'd have stayed up even with Wilder from the beginning of the season but we would have given a better account of ourselves. We've no chance of staying up now but there's plenty still to play for in terms of pride and building a solid base for next season.

I have always wondered Heckys unwillingness (if that's a word) to change anything and we all can see what even few player change can do and even more the whole playstyle. I wasn't in the "Get Wilder back!" bus, but I like what the team is starting to do with him.

I hope there is more to come, even tho it wouldn't be a miracle..

Hecky had to start the season with Osula and Traore upfront, Basham in midfield with Norwood and Osborn.

Wilder has miles more and better options, let's hope it stays that way. We could have both Bogle and Baldock fit, Davies competing in midfield, someone challenging Foderingham in net, multiple fit and talented forwards etc.

I hated the thought of Wilder returning but yesterday has given me confidence in him. I actually enjoyed the game, we actually competed and played football as well, and were good at it.

Like a different team, only frustration is that we weren't more ruthless in making the change in management earlier.

Yes and I think we can say he has hardly had a new manager "bounce" either. Performances are up eventhough we've still lost 4 out of his 7 games (excluding cup) although that list does include Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool. We've managed to get points against 2 other teams in the top current top 6. Yes, we should/could have got something more vs Villa and Luton perhaps even yesterday - how many games other than Spurs could we argue that under Hecky (excluding Wolves and Everton).

Anyway, I am not deluded we are likely relegated but much more confident we are not just there to make the league an even number.

I hated the thought of Wilder returning but yesterday has given me confidence in him. I actually enjoyed the game, we actually competed and played football as well, and were good at it.

Like a different team, only frustration is that we weren't more ruthless in making the change in management earlier.

We actually have a pattern of play when attacking under WIlder, there were moments yesterday of some good link play in the middle of the park. We didn't just keep launching it down the channels hoping for the best. Like Wilder has said since returning we need to take care of the ball better and we are starting to do that now. The midfield looks a lot more balanced although I am not totally sold on Macca playing out on the right side.

I have always wondered Heckys unwillingness (if that's a word) to change anything and we all can see what even few player change can do and even more the whole playstyle. I wasn't in the "Get Wilder back!" bus, but I like what the team is starting to do with him.

I hope there is more to come, even tho it wouldn't be a miracle..
He didn’t even want to play his signings like Trusty, it was a very weird situation

We actually have a pattern of play when attacking under WIlder, there were moments yesterday of some good link play in the middle of the park. We didn't just keep launching it down the channels hoping for the best. Like Wilder has said since returning we need to take care of the ball better and we are starting to do that now. The midfield looks a lot more balanced although I am not totally sold on Macca playing out on the right side.
100% agree. We looked like a team finding an identity, with a plan and gaining confidence. It was great to see.

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised in a few years if Hecky releases an autobiography that he states he was trying to get sacked as I can’t for the life of me figure out what else his plan could have been
I doubt he'll ever admit it, but yeah after the Summer 23 transfer window I can totally imagine toys being thrown out of the pram. He knows it was a free hit this season and he won't be judged by other employers for the way this season went, so he likely figured he may as well get paid up early.

Have said for a long time now. Fleck and Norwood (whilst both very good servants to SUFC) are yesterday's men and need to both move on. Giving Fleck a new contract in the summer was tantamount to waving the white flag.

Fleck should have not gone in the summer he should have gone about 3 summers ago.

At least Norwood contributed to our promotion last season.

Have said for a long time now. Fleck and Norwood (whilst both very good servants to SUFC) are yesterday's men and need to both move on. Giving Fleck a new contract in the summer was tantamount to waving the white flag.
Nor wood stays if we’re in the champ, am excellent replacement for midfield in that league.

7 Premier league games into CWs tenure, I thought I'd compare with Heckys 14 games.
Hecky - 5 points, game average .36, 38 games expected 13 points, goals for 11, against 39
CW - 5 points, game average .71, 38 games expected 27 points, goals for 6 against 12.
Conclusion CW and his team are getting much more out of the group than Hecky did, we are far more competitive and are conceding far fewer goals.
Clearly we are not going to stay up, however the remainder of the season should be much less embarrassing and we are looking good for next season in the championship.
The level between them both is very wide and to be frank always has been.

Next season will be incredibly difficult as Wilder has to try and get promoted with Heckys players which is a much harder task than Heckys was.

The level between them both is very wide and to be frank always has been.

Next season will be incredibly difficult as Wilder has to try and get promoted with Heckys players which is a much harder task than Heckys was.
Yep, Brewster, Lowe, Mcburnie, Osborne, Norwood, fleck etc... its going to be a very difficult 😕

if only had the golden generation wilder left hecky to choose from like Brewster, Lowe, Mcburnie, Osborne, Norwood, fleck etc

I will say Hecky was a couple of points light as we should have beaten Spurs away or at worst drawn
What, the game where they had 70% possession, 28 shots at goal and 15 corners to our 2.

2-1 was a fair result based on the 120,000 minutes played

…He knows it was a free hit this season and he won't be judged by other employers for the way this season went, .
He steadied the ship, got us up and that kept us afloat - for that we will always be grateful

I hope he lands a job soon tho, as the more Wilder does well with the same squad, the more the ‘free hit’ becomes a myth as it becomes evident he just didn’t have a clue

Back
Top Bottom