End of season thoughts from American fan.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

beaubro

Reaction score
Since I started following The Blades a few years back I’ve been privileged to experience (from a distance) the yo-yo affect of relegation and promotion. I’m still somewhat new to deeply understanding the sport so I used to believe that a promotion to the PL was a grand achievement and the end all be all. Watching this season made me feel like it’s not all that. I loved watching the seasons in the Championship. There was a different feel to it and I’m hopeful that things are better next year, but equally nervous for another rough go. Teach me if this is a bad take.

Lots of American soccer-fan friends ask me why I chose a “crap” team. Would it surprise you that they all support top-3 $$$$ clubs? They’ve also maybe actually watched 1-2 matches the entire year. Their fandom is mostly consigned to instagram updates and trash talk. I won’t rehash in this post everything that lead up to me liking this team and everything about it. At the end of the day I’m no bandwagon fan and not really in it for the glory that big oil money brings. Would it be nice to see The Blades dominate at the top? Absolutely, but thats not what captured my interest for this club. So for better or worse I’m in it for good. No switching. Y’all cool with that?

Misery loves company so I’m glad that I learned a lot reading these forums and getting some good laughs too. The Red Half of Sheffield, BladesPod, SUWay and TravellingBlade podcasts and YouTube channels were my favorite weekly digest and I’m thankful for their content. Hoping to one day soon make it out there to experience it all in person if you’ll have me.

Overall, this season was very disappointing and a challenge for my wife dealing with me aggravated nearly every weekend. But I’m looking forward to the Championship. If I happen to bump into a super rich guy on this side of the ocean I’ll try to sell them on the glorious opportunity to buy a “football” club in Sheffield.

Lastly, Wednesday is still shit right?

Since I started following The Blades a few years back I’ve been privileged to experience (from a distance) the yo-yo affect of relegation and promotion. I’m still somewhat new to deeply understanding the sport so I used to believe that a promotion to the PL was a grand achievement and the end all be all. Watching this season made me feel like it’s not all that. I loved watching the seasons in the Championship. There was a different feel to it and I’m hopeful that things are better next year, but equally nervous for another rough go. Teach me if this is a bad take.

Lots of American soccer-fan friends ask me why I chose a “crap” team. Would it surprise you that they all support top-3 $$$$ clubs? They’ve also maybe actually watched 1-2 matches the entire year. Their fandom is mostly consigned to instagram updates and trash talk. I won’t rehash in this post everything that lead up to me liking this team and everything about it. At the end of the day I’m no bandwagon fan and not really in it for the glory that big oil money brings. Would it be nice to see The Blades dominate at the top? Absolutely, but thats not what captured my interest for this club. So for better or worse I’m in it for good. No switching. Y’all cool with that?

Misery loves company so I’m glad that I learned a lot reading these forums and getting some good laughs too. The Red Half of Sheffield, BladesPod, SUWay and TravellingBlade podcasts and YouTube channels were my favorite weekly digest and I’m thankful for their content. Hoping to one day soon make it out there to experience it all in person if you’ll have me.

Overall, this season was very disappointing and a challenge for my wife dealing with me aggravated nearly every weekend. But I’m looking forward to the Championship. If I happen to bump into a super rich guy on this side of the ocean I’ll try to sell them on the glorious opportunity to buy a “football” club in Sheffield.

Yes.

The humour and misery are the yin and yang that binds us together as Blades !

“Misery loves company” ……. like that saying.

You have much ‘company’ on here in that respect !!

UTB !

That’s a well written piece, welcome aboard. Although this season its women and children first to the lifeboats.

We all have our story about why we became Blades. It’s a lot like falling in love, you don’t choose it, it chooses you. She might not be the best looking girl at the dance, but there’s something about her, something you need in your life.

I have my thoughts about how we are run, how we are managed, and some of the players. I don’t currently love that. But I do love the club. I love the good times, I love the people I have met either in the “real” world or on here.

Glory is nice, but to paraphrase John Candy, if you’re not enough without it, you’ll never be enough with it…..

Cracking post. I’m lucky my wife’s a Blade too so we are aggravated together

We all have our story about why we became Blades. It’s a lot like falling in love, you don’t choose it, it chooses you. She might not be the best looking girl at the dance, but there’s something about her, something you need in your life.
In my case it was more like an arranged marriage - my parents decided before I was born who I would support, and told me, before I could realise otherwise, that they were a good choice. 50-odd years later I am trapped in a toxic relationship where I am constantly let down by my parents’ decision, but honour prevents me from leaving!

Spot on post . Benefits being distant from the toxic environment that is S2 sometimes helps . As I am Manchester based I am not surrounded by doom merchants and look forward to the short trip to Old Trafford tonight and the Toon Saturday . Fuck the prem

The Crab has it absolutely right, it doesn't make sense, it just chooses you and takes grip.

I suppose we have better memories of Championship football because we are competitive in recent times rather than propping up the table.

I think what we have missed though is our Character. going back past few seasons, we had a character and thats what we love.

If you need to persuade anyone that a trip across the pond is worthwhile, I will happily state on record I would rather go to Sheffield than any other European city. ( I might be biased but the other half doesn't need to know that 🫣)

How’s your brother doing?

Welcome. Good first post.

Yes Wednesday is still shite.
But never forget also : Boris Johnson is a cunt!

If you’re not in it for glory, you’ve come to the right place!

Welcome aboard and at least when asked “where were you when you were shit?” You can reply “right there with them! unlike you, you bandwagon jumping ****!”

Where you located Beaubro?

And you're spot on. Folk in my sphere here in South West Ohio in Dayton support the main 3 teams. I'm the off one out with SUFC.

I was coaching last night and the coach of the other team was from Liverpool.

I'm the odd ball being a SUFC fan... my 10 year old team joke with me that we are being relegated.

At the least they are following EPL!

And to conclude, the two Boys U10 teams are called 'Chelsea' and 'Arsenal'!

toledo

Great post. I'm looking forward to a return to the Championship for the same reasons as you.

Hope you do make it out to Sheffield for a game one day soon!

Whether you like it or not, you're one of us for life now!

And Alan’s still a cunt.

Back
Top Bottom