50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Many thanks for that post. I have clearly wiped that period from my memory, as a result of the trauma which followed 3 weeks later against another Lancashire club. The report of the Burnley match is a reminder of just how well United were playing in the first part of that season; it was the last time I ever felt really confident in Utd. A Blades rite of passage, I suppose.
Another remarkable fact is that Simpson scored both goals with his right foot; that must be unique!

Many thanks for that post. I have clearly wiped that period from my memory, as a result of the trauma which followed 3 weeks later against another Lancashire club. The report of the Burnley match is a reminder of just how well United were playing in the first part of that season; it was the last time I ever felt really confident in Utd. A Blades rite of passage, I suppose.
Another remarkable fact is that Simpson scored both goals with his right foot; that must be unique!
1640617140958.png

1/1/1972

Blades 1 (Dearden) Leicester 1 (Sjoberg)

Just before the kick off, the crowd sang "Happy Birthday" to TC and TC responded by blowing his kisses towards the crowd.

Early in the game, Leicester had two or three corner kicks at the Lane End, each time the kicker, David Nish, took his time by strolling to the corner with the ball, the fans at the Lane End were shouting at him to "hurry up", Nish responded by giving a hard stare frowning at the fans in the Lane End and he still took his time!

Before the game my dad was telling me that Alan Birchenall was a good friend of Len Badger and he played for us, he resided at Len Badger's mum's house. With Leicester attacking the Lane End it was noticeable from the BLUT that Birchenall and Len were smiling at each other whenever Len was about to take a free kick or a throw in.

John Hope was in good form and made good saves. Later in the week he was called up to the England u 23s squad for their match against Wales.

LeicMacK.jpg
LeicWoody.jpg
Early in the 2nd half John Sjoberg opened the scoring after he broke through the defence and shot from close range.

Woody hits the bar

LeicShilton.jpg

Then we got the equaliser despite that Dearden used his hand to control the ball into his path towards the goal, there were half cheering from the crowd because we expected the ref to disallow the goal but to our surprise neither the ref nor the linesman saw the handball. Furious Leicester players surrounded the ref and they followed him when he ran over to the linesman at the John Street side to ask him if he saw anything untoward. It reminded be of how Hockey scored against Millwall nine months earlier!

Leicbilly1.jpg
Leicbilly2.jpg
Leicequaliser.jpg

LeicHoward.jpg

Leicguhead (2).jpg
Leicgu1.jpg
Leicgu2.jpg
Leicgu3.jpg

Leicmt1.jpg
Leicmt2.jpg

Scores, scorers and line ups of matches that day are in below link

From the programme

Leicharris.jpg
Leicpeter.jpg
Leicchatter.jpg
Leickeith.jpg
LeicJune.jpg

1/1/1972

Blades 1 (Dearden) Leicester 1 (Sjoberg)

Just before the kick off, the crowd sang "Happy Birthday" to TC and TC responded by blowing his kisses towards the crowd.

Early in the game, Leicester had two or three corner kicks at the Lane End, each time the kicker, David Nish, took his time by strolling to the corner with the ball, the fans at the Lane End were shouting at him to "hurry up", Nish responded by giving a hard stare frowning at the fans in the Lane End and he still took his time!

Before the game my dad was telling me that Alan Birchenall was a good friend of Len Badger and he played for us, he resided at Len Badger's mum's house. With Leicester attacking the Lane End it was noticeable from the BLUT that Birchenall and Len were smiling at each other whenever Len was about to take a free kick or a throw in.

John Hope was in good form and made good saves. Later in the week he was called up to the England u 23s squad for their match against Wales.

View attachment 127230
View attachment 127232
Early in the 2nd half John Sjoberg opened the scoring after he broke through the defence and shot from close range.

Woody hits the bar

View attachment 127234

Then we got the equaliser despite that Dearden used his hand to control the ball into his path towards the goal, there were half cheering from the crowd because we expected the ref to disallow the goal but to our surprise neither the ref nor the linesman saw the handball. Furious Leicester players surrounded the ref and they followed him when he ran over to the linesman at the John Street side to ask him if he saw anything untoward. It reminded be of how Hockey scored against Millwall nine months earlier!

View attachment 127235
View attachment 127236
View attachment 127237

View attachment 127240

View attachment 127238
View attachment 127239
View attachment 127241
View attachment 127242

View attachment 127243
View attachment 127244

Scores, scorers and line ups of matches that day are in below link

From the programme

View attachment 127245
View attachment 127246
View attachment 127247
View attachment 127248
View attachment 127249
My second United match.

And Bolton, who were visitors to the Lane 3 weeks later, were so bad that they don’t even figure on that League Table. A certain home win…
Ime sure we lost that one 1-0.Bolton were bottom .
It was the 1st time I was in the seats (John St stand) we were poor considering where we were in the table we did fall away after that

Ime sure we lost that one 1-0.Bolton were bottom .
It was the 1st time I was in the seats (John St stand) we were poor considering where we were in the table we did fall away after that
And Hodgy broke his thumb, and the Board went for the cheap option as a replacement. I really thought we were going to be serious contenders for League champions. It taught me a lesson…

A question for Silent and any other Blades that can remember that era, would a fully fit David Powell have made a difference to that 71/72 season? Obviously, we started it brilliantly up to losing at Old Trafford, then performances and results seemed much more patchy for the rest of the season. Would a fit Powell have made us less likely to concede and thus more consistent?

A question for Silent and any other Blades that can remember that era, would a fully fit David Powell have made a difference to that 71/72 season? Obviously, we started it brilliantly up to losing at Old Trafford, then performances and results seemed much more patchy for the rest of the season. Would a fit Powell have made us less likely to concede and thus more consistent?
Yes, I rated him higher than Flynn. His anticipation and positional sense were excellent. Good with the ball. His timing in tackling was excellent.

Won player of the season in 1968/69

Definitely would have made us better defensively,though Flynn was more of a threat at the other end.

5/1/1972

League Cup semi final replay at S6

Stoke 0 West Ham 0

A friend of my dad's took me and my dad to the semi final replay at S6 and no goals were scored in 120 minutes of play.

Semireport.png
Semiphoto.png

1641413405226.png

What the spectators in the North Stand thought of the match after the final whistle. For me and my dad, it was the most entertaining moment of the night watching the cushions being thrown on the pitch!

Semicushion.png

5/1/1972

Stoke 0 West Ham 0

A friend of my dad's took me and my dad to the semi final replay at S6 and no goals were scored in 120 minutes of play.

View attachment 127501
View attachment 127502

View attachment 127503

What the spectators in the North Stand thought of the match after the final whistle. For me and my dad, it was the most entertaining moment of the night watching the cushions being thrown on the pitch!

View attachment 127504

You would get done these days for throwing objects onto the pitch
Was the cushion throwing a Pig thing ? Cant remember it happening at the Lane

......Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play
They've been going in and out of style
But they're guaranteed to raise a smile
So may I introduce to you...

You know the rest.

5/1/1972

Stoke 0 West Ham 0

View attachment 127501
View attachment 127502

View attachment 127503

View attachment 127504

Not that I should have too much sympathy for West Ham or their supporters but whatever possessed the football league to have the replay at Hillsborough, midweek as well? Surely, it would have made more sense (for both clubs) to have the game at Birmingham or Leicester?

You would get done these days for throwing objects onto the pitch
Was the cushion throwing a Pig thing ? Cant remember it happening at the Lane
A Wendy fan on Facebook replied "it happened a fair few times at Hillsborough. One instance being in 1962 when David "Bronco" Layne was sent off for hitting Jimmy McEwan of Aston Villa. The sending off provoked hundreds of fans to throw their cushions onto the pitch and one to actually run on to the field and wave his rattle at the ref before arguing with players. Another fan subsequently ran on and jumped on the ref's back!"

8/1/1972

WBA 2 (T.Brown 2) Blades 2 (Dearden, Hockey)

In the week leading up to the match my dad was telling me that the Hawthorns ground (my lucky ground as I have been there 5 times, winning 4 and drawing once) is really in Birmingham rather than in West Bromwich. We travelled to the ground in Branson's coach organised by the SUSC (Dronfield branch). About 10 minutes before we arrived at the ground we were in a roundabout and then we took an exit and there was a bit of a commotion within the fans in the coach so I turned round to see why many were looking back towards a different exit. I asked my dad who was calmer than anyone in the coach "what is happening". He replied "They think we are going the wrong way but Colin (the coach driver) knows what he is doing". The same thing happened in the coach at the same roundabout the next time we travelled to the Hawthorns 8 months later. I think the passengers reaction was because that they thought the coach driver had taken the wrong exit instead of the exit that was for West Bromwich.

There were only two things about the match that I can remember, one was that Graham Smith being in goal for WBA. He was Colchester's keeper in their 3-2 giant killing FA Cup win against Leeds the previous season. He didnt play many games for WBA and the reports below seem to suggest that he didnt have a good game.

The second thing I remember was Tony Brown's 2nd goal (sadly I do not remember any of the three other goals). John Hope was ruled to have handled the ball outside the penalty box so the ref awarded a free kick. Tony "Bomber" Brown (a player I rated highly) slammed the free kick hard and low past John Hope. A WBA fan in front of me who was carrying hot drinks in each hand quickly put the drinks down on the floor and then celebrated wildly with the spectators near him. At the mo I am still trying to picture Hockey's late equaliser.

WBAhoward.jpg
WBAgu1.jpg
WBAgu2.jpg
WBAgu3.jpg

WBAmt1.jpg
WBAmt2 (2).jpg
WBAmt2 (3).jpg

Scores, scorers and line ups of the day are in below link

Back
Top Bottom