50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

My seat was A85 in the BLUT from 1971 to 1977 then stopped having season ticket. Occasionally Kop for 1977-78 season and then occasionally South Stand for 1978-79 and 1979-80 seasons. Dont think my dad was in the South Stand often until the 1980s and why would he be the first in the queue for when the New Stand opened?
The BLS was opened in 1967 - that's the "new" stand that I meant - it was almost impossible to get a good seat in the old John Street stand , so the only chance one had was to get a ST in the BLS - I was presuming (wrongly it seems) that to get a front row seat bang behind the goal , your STs must have been bought the minute the BLS opened.
Though I've not lived in or near Sheffield since 1976 , when my own son was old enough for football , I took him on the most forward row available bang centre in the BLS , superb view + quiet enough for little lads.
I can never understand why the BLUT doesn't sell out first !

The BLS was opened in 1967 - that's the "new" stand that I meant - it was almost impossible to get a good seat in the old John Street stand , so the only chance one had was to get a ST in the BLS - I was presuming (wrongly it seems) that to get a front row seat bang behind the goal , your STs must have been bought the minute the BLS opened.
Though I've not lived in or near Sheffield since 1976 , when my own son was old enough for football , I took him on the most forward row available bang centre in the BLS , superb view + quiet enough for little lads.
I can never understand why the BLUT doesn't sell out first !
Season ticket sales werent as high as it is nowadays

I remember me and my brother were in the usual place on the kop. with our dad and uncles. one of the best ever games we went to. walking down John st after the match. Dad told us to get the bus home. we lived in Walkley. however, in our excitement, we got the bus right number 82.but in the wrong direction. we got off. could not get on another bus because we had no money. luckily my brother is older than me. knew the way home. after walking a while we saw the ponderosa so I knew where we were.
No idea what time it was when we arrived home. but nowt was said because we on schools holiday. this was the last home game for a few years.emigrated to Sydney Austrailia.

17/8/1971

Blades 3 (Flynn, Dearden, Colquhoun) Leeds 0

What a night even though I do not remember much of the goalless first half like I did against the same opposition in the League Cup in the previous year. We attacked the Kop end first which what we did often with success in the early 1970s. Tom Fenoughty (ex-Blade now Chesterfield) was sat next to me and my dad. My dad and Tom exchanged their thoughts throughout the match and it was obvious he was rooting for us to win.

View attachment 119014

Not long after the break Flynn headed in the first goal at the far post from a Woody corner.
View attachment 119016

View attachment 119017

I know I have already seen us beat Leeds the season before but I thought Leeds would be much tougher to beat in the first division fixture (it did seem we didnt really dominate like the last time). I was on a high and was in the BLUT front row talking loudly to my dad about my disbelief, then my dad told me to turn round and look at Gary Sprake. I turned round and was surprised he was looking straight at me not looking amused and probably didnt like the tone of my excitement. Tom Fenoughty and the fans near our seats noticed this too and they all burst out laughing at Sprake. There was a lovely sight of red and white scarves being held aloft all over the Kop and the Blades fans all around the ground sang in unison.

Leeds threatened to equalise at times and then in the last 10 minutes, Peter Lorimer got tripped inside our penalty box, the ref waved away appeals from the Leeds players, and then there were many Leeds players hassling the ref, one of our players then played a long pass to Stewart Scullion on the left and there was only Paul Reaney and Paul Madeley defending, Scullion then found Bill Dearden running unmarked on the right, passed the ball to him , Sprake was all at sea. It did seem that the pass had made it a tight angle for Dearden to shoot with Madeley closing him down but Dearden did find the angle to put us two up.

View attachment 119019

View attachment 119018

Near the end Colquhoun made it three heading in a head back from Flynn from another Woody corner.

View attachment 119021

View attachment 119020

View attachment 119022
View attachment 119025
Football results that evening

From the programme

View attachment 119028
View attachment 119029
View attachment 119030
View attachment 119031
Top notch SB, with an exceedingly excellent for the Colour Photo.
Like a bus queue with Gary "bbutterfingers" Sprake hiding as usual.
Leeds certainly got took for a ride that night.

Edit, there was a song "Butterfingers" always reminds of Mr Sprake. I had thought it was sung by Michael Holliday but on looking it up it was Tommy Steel.

Top notch SB, with an exceedingly excellent for the Colour Photo.
Like a bus queue with Gary "butterfingers" Sprake hiding as usual.
But when the bus queue includes Tony Currie, Eddie Colquhoun and Billy Bremner, and they are all stood in front of the kop ... everything, all of sudden, becomes mythical.

Well done Silent!

But when the bus queue includes Tony Currie, Eddie Colquhoun and Billy Bremner, and they are all stood in front of the kop ... everything, all of sudden, becomes mythical.

Well done Silent!
Not much mythical about Eddie Colquhoun bearing down on ye whilst defending a corner.
TC touched almost God like mythical status whilst at the Lane, granted.
As for BB, tremendous winning footballer, soiled himself by being DR's Lieutenant.

Not much mythical about Eddie Colquhoun bearing down on ye whilst defending a corner.
TC touched almost God like mythical status whilst at the Lane, granted.
As for BB, tremendous winning footballer, soiled himself by being DR's Lieutenant.
Footballs hard man,, and Billy Bremner

Attachments

• DRuyqwCUMAAyURV.jpg
    DRuyqwCUMAAyURV.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 21
21/8/1971

Everton 0 Blades 1 (Woodward)

My family travelled throughout the night on route to the Butlin's holiday camp at Ayr for a week's holiday. It included a sleep on a layby not too far from the Scotland border. It was our first time in Scotland. Luckily on the Saturday Ayr United were playing at home to Celtic in a League Cup group match. After spending a few hours and settling in the holiday camp, my dad and I set off for the match at Somerset Park. It was a lovely sunny day and Celtic easily beat Ayr 3-0. The only goal I could remember was the 3rd one. Kenny Dalglish took the penalty but the Ayr keeper had saved it and Dalglish scored from the rebound. I cant remember how my dad and I found out that the Blades had won at Everton but I can remember my dad laying down on the bed later in the evening saying "Wonder who scored for us?"

The photo below is of my family at the holiday camp later that week. Little did I know that my future wife would be from Scotland!

AyrButlins.jpg
Evertoncurrie.jpg
Evertonmatch.png
Evertonflynn.jpg

Woody receiving congratulations after scoring

Evertonwoody.jpg
EvertonColquhoun.jpg
Everton ref.jpg
Evertongreenhead.jpg
Evertonhoward.jpg
Evertongreenheadback.jpg
Evertongreen1.jpg
Evertongreen2.jpg
Everton1.jpg
Everton2.jpg
Everton3.jpg
Evertondearden.png
Evertonhusband.png
Evertonball1.png
Evertonball2.png
Evertonsalmons.png
Evertonnewton.png
Evertonkendall.png

The scores, scorers, line ups and tables can be seen in this link

Below are the match report (there is a mention of us winning at Everton) and photos of the Ayr v Celtic match I went to. John Hughes played in the match. He then moved to Palace and destroyed us in front of the MOTD cameras in December
1629500785938.png

Ayr's keeper saves Dalglish penalty

1629501035893.png

Dalglish showing disappointment

1629501122965.png

But recovers quickly to score from the rebound

1629501211726.png

Brilliant Silent Blade. Blades are top of the league after 3 games. my last day in Sheffield. leaving on the midnight train to London.

Silent,

In all seriousness, these pre-decimalisation, hyper-multimedia match reports are a revelation (with a special note to HodgyB... we all know you led the way!).

We get pre-match/after match fan-reaction, we see "action replays", and some of the photos are even in colour. We even get to read proper press reports...

Fabulous, fabulous and best of all United even win!

If only your new-fangled modern contemporaries could understand there is the possibility of winning, or better still, that the innovation's associated with the Digital Revolution and the requirements of contemporary communication go well beyond them...

Well done again Silent!

24/8/1971

Arsenal 0 Blades 1 (Scullion)

I remember being sat down on a chair watching my parents dancing with other holidaymakers at the dance hall in the Ayr Butlins camp. After 9.15pm I was trying my best to signal my dad to remind him that we needed to go to a tv room to catch the football results near the end of the 9 O'Clock news programme. Eventually my dad stopped dancing and we then walked to the tv room at a different building. On entering the darkened TV room we realised that our watches were a few minutes slow which meant we only saw the very end of the tv news. I briefly got disappointed that we wont find out the score at Highbury till the next morning. My dad then quietly asked a group of men in the room if they caught the football scores. After that he told me to be quiet and leave the room quickly before saying outside "Arsenal 0 United 1". It was a fantastic feeling and I wanted to scream with joy!

I got up early in the next morning with the money from my dad to buy the newspaper from the paper shop in the camp. All the way to the shop I was wondering who had scored. It was our new signing Stewart Scullion!

Arsenalheadlines.jpg
Arsenal2.jpgArsenal3.jpg
Arsenalsocial.jpg
Arsenaldiagram1.jpg
Arsenaldiagram2.jpg
1629758550200.png
1629758591139.png

Scores, line ups and tables that evening

I was somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean cruising onboard The Ellinis-chadris line. on our way to Cape Town South Africa.no mobile phones or internet then. you had to rely on. newspapers for results then. just before I discovered BBC World Service.

I was somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean cruising onboard The Ellinis-chadris line. on our way to Cape Town South Africa.no mobile phones or internet then. you had to rely on. newspapers for results then. just before I discovered BBC World Service.
i was in the buccaneer on leopold street loved that pub even drinking out of plastic pots lol 🍺

24/8/1971

I remember being sat down on a chair watching my parents dancing with other holidaymakers at the dance hall in the Ayr Butlins camp. After 9.15pm I was trying my best to signal my dad to remind him that we needed to go to a tv room to catch the football results near the end of the 9 O'Clock news programme. Eventually my dad stopped dancing and we then walked to the tv room at a different building. On entering the darkened TV room we realised that our watches were a few minutes slow which meant we only saw the very end of the tv news. I briefly got disappointed that we wont find out the score at Highbury till the next morning. My dad then quietly asked a group of men in the room if they caught the football scores. After that he told me to be quiet and leave the room quickly before saying outside "Arsenal 0 United 1". It was a fantastic feeling and I wanted to scream with joy!

I got up early in the next morning with the money from my dad to buy the newspaper from the paper shop in the camp. All the way to the shop I was wondering who had scored. It was our new signing Stewart Scullion!

View attachment 119589
View attachment 119590View attachment 119591
View attachment 119592
View attachment 119593
View attachment 119594
View attachment 119595
View attachment 119596

Looking back on those amazing reports and photos, seeing us top of the league, now seems so unreal.
However, at the time, as a naive eleven year old who had not witnessed the many years of heartache following the Blades, it felt like our time had come and it would be like this for ever. (Deep sigh).

21/8/1971

Everton 0 Blades 1 (Woodward)

My family travelled throughout the night on route to the Butlin's holiday camp at Ayr for a week's holiday. It included a sleep on a layby not too far from the Scotland border. It was our first time in Scotland. Luckily on the Saturday Ayr United were playing at home to Celtic in a League Cup group match. After spending a few hours and settling in the holiday camp, my dad and I set off for the match at Somerset Park. It was a lovely sunny day and Celtic easily beat Ayr 3-0. The only goal I could remember was the 3rd one. Kenny Dalglish took the penalty but the Ayr keeper had saved it and Dalglish scored from the rebound. I cant remember how my dad and I found out that the Blades had won at Everton but I can remember my dad laying down on the bed later in the evening saying "Wonder who scored for us?"

The photo below is of my family at the holiday camp later that week. Little did I know that my future wife would be from Scotland!

View attachment 119323
View attachment 119324
View attachment 119325
View attachment 119326

Woody receiving congratulations after scoring

View attachment 119327
View attachment 119328
View attachment 119329
View attachment 119330
View attachment 119331
View attachment 119332
View attachment 119333
View attachment 119334
View attachment 119335
View attachment 119337
View attachment 119338
View attachment 119340
View attachment 119341
View attachment 119343
View attachment 119344
View attachment 119345
View attachment 119346
View attachment 119347

Went to the Everton game on the Football Special
Great win the locals werent very happy it was mayhem on way back to Lime Street station

24/8/1971

View attachment 119589
View attachment 119590View attachment 119591
View attachment 119592
View attachment 119593
View attachment 119594
View attachment 119595
View attachment 119596

After the Arsenal match , the highly regarded Brian Granville of the Sunday Times wrote one of the most complimentary reports I’ve ever read about a Blades team .

He said that on current form we were the best team in the country and waxed lyrical about our style of play , organisation and individual players such as TC , Woody and a few others .

Wonderful , wonderful days and both an honour and a privilege to have been able to witness them .

28/8/1971

Blades 0 WBA 0

Came back home from an enjoyable week at Butlin's holiday camp a few hours before the kick off. I played plenty of football on the holiday camp football pitch during the week and so did many of the holiday makers. Watched Celtic beat Ayr 3-0 on the Saturday and Rangers beat Ayr 4-0 on the Wednesday (both at Somerset Park). Years later (probably in 1978) my dad told me that we had met Ayr's manager Ally MacLeod (later was Scotland's manager and well known for the 1978 World Cup campaign) that week but I do not remember meeting him (I probably didnt have a clue who he was). My dad remembered him being a good player for Blackburn in the early 1960s.

It rained a lot during the WBA match. YTV cameras were there probably expecting goals! I think we attacked the Lane end in the first half because I remember there were so many photographers taking their positions behind the Lane End goal. As for the match, I do not really remember much
apart from when Hockey returned to the pitch through the tunnel with a bandage on his head, which brought loud cheers from the crowd, and later on I was being frustrated that we didnt score

Apologies for the first two parts of the Green Un report being blurry!

West Brom Eddie.png
WBAcurrie.jpg
WBAcurriephoto.jpg

WBAwile.png
WBAdearden.jpg
WBAcumbes.jpg
WBAgreenhead.jpg
WBAgreenheadback.jpg
WBagreen1.jpg
WBagreen2.jpg
WBagreen3.jpg
Morning TelegraphWBA1.jpg
WBA2.jpg
WBA3.jpg
WBA4.jpg
Scores, line ups and scorers that day and we were still at the top!

From the programme

WBApeter.jpg
WBAchatter.jpg
WBAKeith.jpg

I remember being at the front of the Kop, soaked through with the rain.. Disappointed with the result, but the great times watching the Blades back then.

My first Blades match. All I can remember, apart from the score, is my grandad telling me how loud and boisterous the crowd would be when we scored and leaving the ground at the end wondering what he'd been on about. Didn't stop me wanting to go back, though.

I was a few thousand miles away on board ship a day or before we arrived in Cape Town.I was given a short wave radio and found BBC. World Service. thats how I found out we drew,0-0.came very handy for the next few years in Sydney Australia.

31/8/1971

Blades 3 (Dearden 2, Woodward (pen)) Huddersfield 1 ( Jimmy Lawson)

I remember our goals but not Huddersfield's. We went two up early in the game with a Dearden header

UddersBilly1.jpg

and then a Woody penalty that sent keeper David Lawson the wrong way

Udderswoody.jpg

In the 2nd half Jimmy Lawson (no relation to the keeper) pulled a goal back before Dearden made sure of the win with a brave goal, he dived in mid air to hit a pass by Currie past the keeper and he got injured by Roy Ellam's challenge. He received congratulations by his team mates as he laid almost motionless on the ground. He got a big round of applause from the crowd as he got carried off and replaced by sub Gil Reece.

UddersBilly2.jpg

I remember thinking that we are still at the top of the league after beating a team who comfortably won the 2nd division the previous year.

Years later my dad and I were talking about David Lawson (I think he was playing for Everton at the time) and my dad called him a "big head". I asked him why he thought that. He recalled being outside the players entrance after our 3-1 win in 1971 as I was autograph hunting (I do not remember this and it wasnt often that I went autograph hunting after a night match , maybe it made sense as it was still the school summer holiday and I didnt need to get up early in the next morning). When David Lawson came out of the players entrance to make his way to the coach, my dad said to him "that was a great save from a Woody shot!", the keeper looked straight at my dad with a quizzical look saying "Woodward?!", shrugged his shoulders then looked away shaking his head saying "Alan?!". Although I do not remember the save but I agree with my dad that it was a twattish behaviour by Lawson!

Udders1.jpg
Udders2.jpg
Udders3.jpg

Scores, scorers and line ups that evening

From the programme

Udderspeter.jpg
Udderschatter.jpg

Udderskeith.jpg
Uddersshort.jpg

Back
Top Bottom