50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That statue disappeared not long after the school was junked. The concrete plinth remains.

Just thinking now, kinda good that Hemsworth J&I went when it did. It would have ended up torched otherwise. Completely thrown up in the early sixties. Steel frame but all wood and plasterboard.

Seem to recall the further you went down the Valley from Hemsworth, the piggier it got.

pommpey
Hope you mean 'piggy' in a footballing sense? Could be right. we had a family end of our block. Father, fought in WW2, was ok but son is your typical, though an ok bloke when off football. Father is gone now, son I keep bumping into occasionally and funny how his vitriol has waned. Not sure whether it's him or our long association that makes him less nauseous.

Hope you mean 'piggy' in a footballing sense? Could be right. we had a family end of our block. Father, fought in WW2, was ok but son is your typical, though an ok bloke when off football. Father is gone now, son I keep bumping into occasionally and funny how his vitriol has waned. Not sure whether it's him or our long association that makes him less nauseous.
Yeah. As soon as you got past Ironside/Gaunt Shops, the Valley turned purple and then distinctly blue as you went past the Shoot 'Em Up Horse and Groom.

Herdings was mostly grunts too.

pommpey

Chivers had it all didn’t he. Big, fast, could play and also scored goals...I was a lad when he was at his peak but I was always impressed by his massive shoulders!
I remember my dad howling with laughter when reading a match report in the Sunday Times; a typesetter, presumably an Arsenal fan, had him as Fartin Chivers throughout the piece. We had to make our own fun in those days...
My mate’s” uncle “played with him for Spurs. Claims he had the biggest dick he’d ever seen in a changing room.

My mate’s” uncle “played with him for Spurs. Claims he had the biggest dick he’d ever seen in a changing room.

I saw Tommy Docherty twice as an after dinner speaker and one his favourite stories was about Martin Chivers .

He said that before signing a player , he would often seek Bill Shankly’s advice and that the latter was always happy to give it even though they worked for rival clubs . He recalled once ringing Shanks and saying -

‘ Bill , I need a centre forward and am thinking about Martin Chivers - what do you think “? . There was a pause then Shanks said ....

“Aye Tom , Big Martin ..... a verrry deceptive player “

“ What do you mean by that , Bill “ ?

“ He’s even slower than he looks “.

🤣

Ancient Blade is 100% correct of course.
yeah there were signs in the 69/70 season that things were coming together but for me the match that set us alight was the league cup win against leeds sept 70 we ripped them apart that night and tore in to them from the first minute with john tudors thunderous shot against the leeds crossbar and tcs low screamer past sprake in the 2nd half is still my favourite goal of his for the blades fantastic night that was

Bert is correct the Leeds players were arguing with the ref. Charlton Bremner Hunter to name a few. and we broke away and we scored.
I think that put us 3-0 up I think. if I'm correct. that's the last goal I saw at Bramall Lane for over 6 years. emigrated to Australia. day after we licked,
Everton at Goodison Park. the next goal I saw at Bramall Lane was against Hull 2-1 win 1977. Bramall Lane was different. cricket pitch gone.
New South Stand is quite impressive. unfortunately, we were on a long decline by then.

Bert is correct the Leeds players were arguing with the ref. Charlton Bremner Hunter to name a few. and we broke away and we scored.
I think that put us 3-0 up I think. if I'm correct. that's the last goal I saw at Bramall Lane for over 6 years. emigrated to Australia. day after we licked,
Everton at Goodison Park. the next goal I saw at Bramall Lane was against Hull 2-1 win 1977. Bramall Lane was different. cricket pitch gone.
New South Stand is quite impressive. unfortunately, we were on a long decline by then.
Put us 2-0 up. The 3rd was a header from Colquhoun after Flynn headed across a Woody corner

And don't forget they sold young Jones and Birchenall in 67. I often wondered what a foreword line of Salmons Currie Jones, Birchenall and Woodward could have done for us ?....... ;)

31/7/1971. The squad arrive in Holland for a 3 match tour in Holland and Belgium. NAC Breda on 1st August, KV Malinois (now KV Mechelen) on the 4th and FC Twente Enschede on the 6th. Mick Speight is added to the squad, it looks like we had only one keeper in the squad! Not sure why Frank Barlow, Colin Addison and David Ford (all three played a part in the tour) are not in the below photo. It looks like the photo was taken from the coach entrance at John Street before departure.
tour.jpg

I was living in Australia at the time.
Is it correct Alan Ball took the piss and sat on the ball because Arshole was winning.at Bramall Lane.
Then The legendary Tony Currie sat on the ball when we gave Arshole a pasting at Bramall Lane.
I have never seen a picture of either occasion. we only got London clubs Brian Moore commentating. on tv.
Only showed united when they played a London club. just showed the goals.

I was living in Australia at the time.
Is it correct Alan Ball took the piss and sat on the ball because Arshole was winning.at Bramall Lane.
Then The legendary Tony Currie sat on the ball when we gave Arshole a pasting at Bramall Lane.
I have never seen a picture of either occasion. we only got London clubs Brian Moore commentating. on tv.
Only showed united when they played a London club. just showed the goals.
Jan 1972 and Sept 1973

I still remember clearly when my dad was picking me up from a children's xmas party organised by his work and he was telling me "United won 6-0". I wasnt really into football yet despite having been taken to the Lane a few times but I was impressed that the Blades had won 6-0. Birmingham City were the opponents.
I recall the 6-0 thrashing of Spurs better, can’t remember the Birmingham match.

Back
Top Bottom