50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

6/8/1971

I read somewhere TC saying it seemed that Twente had 15 players on the pitch that night and Ted Hemsley said we were outplayed by Twente who made it hard for us to get the ball off them. When the players returned to the dressing room they had a discussion wondering if it was going to be the same when facing the English 1st division teams in the coming season
Twente1.jpg
Twente2.jpg

9/8/1971

Pre season Friendly

Blades 2 (Currie, Woodward) Wendy 2 (Downes, Prendergast)

Before setting off for the match from home, I couldnt find my woolly red and white scarf which caused my dad to get angry and told me that we are not setting off until I find the scarf. He was fed up of me losing things. I think the last time I had the scarf was when we won the promotion clincher against Watford more than three months earlier. I kept on searching for the scarf all over my house for ages and I burst into tears thinking that I wont be able to watch the match. My dad gave up and then said "Alright, we will go but next time if you lose something, we will not go to a football match".

We missed the kick off also TC's opening goal. I dont remember the rest of the goals but remember that we were two up but Wendy scored two late goals. I remember Hockey scything a Wendy player near the halfway line and got spoken to by the ref, my dad and I looked at each other and laughed! Another memory is that one of the Wendy subs coming on the pitch without a number on his back which made be think that Wendy are a tinpot club!
Wednesday Currie.jpg
Wednesday.jpg

14/8/1971

Blades 3 (Woodward pen, Salmons, Flynn) Southampton 1 (O'Neil)

Not sure how many 1st division games I went to before the Blades got relegated in May 1968, maybe a handful and each time my dad and I got home my dad would say to my mum "he isnt ready for football matches". So 50 years ago today was my first clear memory of watching the Blades in the 1st division and it didnt take long for us to score! Early in the game, Jimmy Gabriel (who passed away last month) had handled the ball in the penalty area at the Kop End and the ref pointed to the penalty spot. Woodward cooly put away the spot kick sending Eric Martin the wrong way. At the time I thought players had the skill to fool the keeper to dive the other way when taking penalties and I thought Woody had this skill.

Saintswoody.jpg

After that our new signing Stewart Scullion twice had the ball but instead of passing it to a team mate but he chose to try and beat Saints defenders and then shoot high into the Kop. Early days to judge our new signing but I remember my dad describing him "greedy"

Geoff Salmons made it two heading in from close range, late in the 1st half. He had impressed the crowd showing a lot of pace on the left wing.

Brian O'Neil reduced the arrears for the Saints not long after half time. John Flynn made it 3-1 heading in a Salmons free kick from the left.

SaintsFlynn.jpg

There was heavy rain during the match and some lightning and thunder during the 2nd half which was a bit scary. Not sure if it was before or after that day when my dad told me the story about John White of Spurs being killed by lightning at a golf course in 1964.

A good win for the Blades and it did look like we would be "comfortable" for the season.

Saintsgreenhead.jpg
SaintsHoward.jpg
Sainstsgreenheadback.jpg
Sainstsgreen1.jpg
Sainstsgreen2.jpg
Sainstsgreen3.jpg
Saints1.jpg
Saints2.jpg
Link for football results on the day

From the programme

Saintspeter.jpg
Saints chatter.jpg
Saintsscullion.jpg

Great stuff, thanks Silent Blade.
14/8/1971

Blades 3 (Woodward pen, Salmons, Flynn) Southampton 1 (O'Neil)

Not sure how many 1st division games I went to before the Blades got relegated in May 1968, maybe a handful and each time my dad and I got home my dad would say to my mum "he isnt ready for football matches". So 50 years ago today was my first clear memory of watching the Blades in the 1st division and it didnt take long for us to score! Early in the game, Jimmy Gabriel (who passed away last month) had handled the ball in the penalty area at the Kop End and the ref pointed to the penalty spot. Woodward cooly put away the spot kick sending Eric Martin the wrong way. At the time I thought players had the skill to fool the keeper to dive the other way when taking penalties and I thought Woody had this skill.

View attachment 118807

After that our new signing Stewart Scullion twice had the ball but instead of passing it to a team mate but he chose to try and beat Saints defenders and then shoot high into the Kop. Early days to judge our new signing but I remember my dad describing him "greedy"

Geoff Salmons made it two heading in from close range, late in the 1st half. He had impressed the crowd showing a lot of pace on the left wing.

Brian O'Neil reduced the arrears for the Saints not long after half time. John Flynn made it 3-1 heading in a Salmons free kick from the left.

View attachment 118808

There was heavy rain during the match and some lightning and thunder during the 2nd half which was a bit scary. Not sure if it was before or after that day when my dad told me the story about John White of Spurs being killed by lightning at a golf course in 1964.

A good win for the Blades and it did look like we would be "comfortable" for the season.

View attachment 118809
View attachment 118810
View attachment 118811
View attachment 118812
View attachment 118813
View attachment 118814
View attachment 118815
View attachment 118816
Link for football results on the day

From the programme

View attachment 118817
View attachment 118818
View attachment 118819
I was one of the 25,917 and I remember it like it was yesterday. Was behind the goal in the Bramall Lane end (no real segregation of fans in them days, have no idea where the Southampton fans were).

Great day. Remember being annoyed that highlights were not on YTV on the Sunday, Huddersfield v Leicester instead 😕

yeah thanks silent great memories funnily enough cant remember the thunderstorm lol but can remember it being red hot at kick off little did we know that day we would remain unbeaten and top of the league up to that trip to old trafford

17/8/1971

Blades 3 (Flynn, Dearden, Colquhoun) Leeds 0

What a night even though I do not remember much of the goalless first half like I did against the same opposition in the League Cup in the previous year. We attacked the Kop end first which what we did often with success in the early 1970s. Tom Fenoughty (ex-Blade now Chesterfield) was sat next to me and my dad. My dad and Tom exchanged their thoughts throughout the match and it was obvious he was rooting for us to win.

Leedscorner.jpg

Not long after the break Flynn headed in the first goal at the far post from a Woody corner.
LeedsFlynn.jpg

LeedsFlynncelebration.jpg

I know I have already seen us beat Leeds the season before but I thought Leeds would be much tougher to beat in the first division fixture (it did seem we didnt really dominate like the last time). I was on a high and was in the BLUT front row talking loudly to my dad about my disbelief, then my dad told me to turn round and look at Gary Sprake. I turned round and was surprised he was looking straight at me not looking amused and probably didnt like the tone of my excitement. Tom Fenoughty and the fans near our seats noticed this too and they all burst out laughing at Sprake. There was a lovely sight of red and white scarves being held aloft all over the Kop and the Blades fans all around the ground sang in unison.

Leeds threatened to equalise at times and then in the last 10 minutes, Peter Lorimer got tripped inside our penalty box, the ref waved away appeals from the Leeds players, and then there were many Leeds players hassling the ref, one of our players then played a long pass to Stewart Scullion on the left and there was only Paul Reaney and Paul Madeley defending, Scullion then found Bill Dearden running unmarked on the right, passed the ball to him , Sprake was all at sea. It did seem that the pass had made it a tight angle for Dearden to shoot with Madeley closing him down but Dearden did find the angle to put us two up.

LeedsBilly.jpg

LeedsDearden.jpg

Near the end Colquhoun made it three heading in a head back from Flynn from another Woody corner.

Leedscolquhoun.jpg

LeedsEddie.jpg

Leeds1.jpg
Leeds2.jpg
Football results that evening

From the programme

Leedspeter.jpg
Leedschatter.jpg
Leedsfarnsworth.jpg
Leedsweights.jpg

This has given me goosebumps. Thanks Silent et al. 15 year old me (and a couple of mates) from Donny had started to go to BDTBL during promotion season, so this was our first full season as Blades…and my first ever season ticket. And what a season!

They played with such style and with such a swagger, it was a joy to watch. And for a 15 year old kid, the Lane was such an exciting place to be. We always stood on the Shoreham and tried to get as near to the front as we could. It was an amazing place to be. The atmosphere was always electric…and we started to go a bit further back; not far back enough to get involved in the inevitable scrapping when away fans tried (in vain) to ‘take‘ the Kop but far enough back to sway down several steps with the masses when we scored. Happy days.

It’s still the best Blades team I’ve ever seen … and as a kid with longish fair hair I was ever so much in thrall to the magic of TC.

What joy, what memories…

I was one of the 25,917 and I remember it like it was yesterday. Was behind the goal in the Bramall Lane end (no real segregation of fans in them days, have no idea where the Southampton fans were).
After 43k v Cardiff & 39k v Watford , that 25k v Soton was disappointing for the first match back in the top flight - any thoughts ?

yeah great night yet again against leeds just like the league cup victory the previous season we outplayed em and fully deserved the win as another poster has said these threads bring goosebumps to us oldies fantastic times fantastic team and still the best ive seen in over 60 years following the blades

17/8/1971

What a night even though I do not remember much of the goalless first half like I did against the same opposition in the League Cup in the previous year. We attacked the Kop end first which what we did often with success in the early 1970s. Tom Fenoughty (ex-Blade now Chesterfield) was sat next to me and my dad. My dad and Tom exchanged their thoughts throughout the match and it was obvious he was rooting for us to win.

View attachment 119014

Not long after the break Flynn headed in the first goal at the far post from a Woody corner.
View attachment 119016

View attachment 119017

I know I have already seen us beat Leeds the season before but I thought Leeds would be much tougher to beat in the first division fixture (it did seem we didnt really dominate like the last time). I was on a high and was in the BLUT front row talking loudly to my dad about my disbelief, then my dad told me to turn round and look at Gary Sprake. I turned round and was surprised he was looking straight at me not looking amused and probably didnt like the tone of my excitement. Tom Fenoughty and the fans near our seats noticed this too and they all burst out laughing at Sprake. There was a lovely sight of red and white scarves being held aloft all over the Kop and the Blades fans all around the ground sang in unison.

Leeds threatened to equalise at times and then in the last 10 minutes, Peter Lorimer got tripped inside our penalty box, the ref waved away appeals from the Leeds players, and then there were many Leeds players hassling the ref, one of our players then played a long pass to Stewart Scullion on the left and there was only Paul Reaney and Paul Madeley defending, Scullion then found Bill Dearden running unmarked on the right, passed the ball to him , Sprake was all at sea. It did seem that the pass had made it a tight angle for Dearden to shoot with Madeley closing him down but Dearden did find the angle to put us two up.

View attachment 119019

View attachment 119018

Near the end Colquhoun made it three heading in a head back from Flynn from another Woody corner.

View attachment 119021

View attachment 119020

View attachment 119022
View attachment 119025

From the programme

View attachment 119028
View attachment 119029
View attachment 119030
View attachment 119031
What was the attendance?

that was also the night leeds fans for the 2nd season running tried to get on the shoreham and the 2nd time they came unstuck although they did manage it 3 years later mind having 10k on there 2 hours before kick off did help em lol
Yeh but if only Steve Cowens had been around in 1971 , he would have seen em all off

that crowd probably also accounted for the slightly dissapointing crowd against southampton 2 games in 3 day and united had plenty of naughty lads on the shoreham in those days quite strange actually half skinheads and half greasers in leathers

17/8/1971

View attachment 119014

View attachment 119016

View attachment 119017

View attachment 119019

View attachment 119018

View attachment 119021

View attachment 119020

View attachment 119022
View attachment 119025

From the programme

View attachment 119028
View attachment 119029
View attachment 119030
View attachment 119031
So , you were on the front row of the BLS were you ? That's the BLUT for the youngsters on here. Your Dad must've been first in the queue for STs when they opened that new stand. My Dad got himself & a 13yr old me seats O81 & O82 , just above the entry tunnel bang centre behind the goal - that stand remains to this day " the best & most intimate view in football" , you feel as though you are sitting on the goalie's shoulder - no wonder Sprake could hear you !
They were truly the golden times of my early teenage years 1967-73.
My Dad (& Grandad) had always been Shoreham boys but he & his workmate decided that their 2 little boys were not ready for that , so jumped at the chance to get STs in the BLS. They would drop Ian & me off at the ground when the doors opened + then disappear off to the Albion on London Red to have the crack with their Bladey mates. Ian & I would spend 90 mins reading our programmes & listening to the pop records of the day , later including , of course , 'Rose Garden' & 'You can do Magic'.
Then our Dads would race in at 2:55 + you know the rest.
In 1973 aged 15 I started working on the catering side at the Lane , firstly as a "tray-lad"- walking around the perimeter
fence with a tray like in the cinema - remember them ?
This job + later ones behind the buffets & bars gave me the freedom to roam around my beloved Lane when it was empty , stocking-up all the sales kiosks - there isn't a square inch of the Lane I've not trodden , including the roof of the South Stand when they were building it !
And of course , the job provided me with free match-watching from any pitch level viewpoint I chose.
After University , I had to pack in the Lane job + became a Shoreham ender , continuing the family tradition.
Your posts evoke wonderful memories of my youth - many many thanks , Silent.

So , you were on the front row of the BLS were you ? That's the BLUT for the youngsters on here. Your Dad must've been first in the queue for STs when they opened that new stand. My Dad got himself & a 13yr old me seats O81 & O82 , just above the entry tunnel bang centre behind the goal - that stand remains to this day " the best & most intimate view in football" , you feel as though you are sitting on the goalie's shoulder - no wonder Sprake could hear you !
They were truly the golden times of my early teenage years 1967-73.
My Dad (& Grandad) had always been Shoreham boys but he & his workmate decided that their 2 little boys were not ready for that , so jumped at the chance to get STs in the BLS. They would drop Ian & me off at the ground when the doors opened + then disappear off to the Albion on London Red to have the crack with their Bladey mates. Ian & I would spend 90 mins reading our programmes & listening to the pop records of the day , later including , of course , 'Rose Garden' & 'You can do Magic'.
Then our Dads would race in at 2:55 + you know the rest.
In 1973 aged 15 I started working on the catering side at the Lane , firstly as a "tray-lad"- walking around the perimeter
fence with a tray like in the cinema - remember them ?
This job + later ones behind the buffets & bars gave me the freedom to roam around my beloved Lane when it was empty , stocking-up all the sales kiosks - there isn't a square inch of the Lane I've not trodden , including the roof of the South Stand when they were building it !
And of course , the job provided me with free match-watching from any pitch level viewpoint I chose.
After University , I had to pack in the Lane job + became a Shoreham ender , continuing the family tradition.
Your posts evoke wonderful memories of my youth - many many thanks , Silent.
My seat was A85 in the BLUT from 1971 to 1977 then stopped having season ticket. Occasionally Kop for 1977-78 season and then occasionally South Stand for 1978-79 and 1979-80 seasons. Dont think my dad was in the South Stand often until the 1980s and why would he be the first in the queue for when the New Stand opened?

Back
Top Bottom