50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

After 43k v Cardiff & 39k v Watford , that 25k v Soton was disappointing for the first match back in the top flight - any thoughts ?
There was a lot less season ticket holders, and a lot like us were pay on the gate. Another thing back then in the 60's/70's was after a couple of good results or so, the crowd could bump up by a few thousand for the next home game,and it often caused amusement or disbelief when the crowd was announced, when it was obvious there were way more people in.

There was a lot less season ticket holders, and a lot like us were pay on the gate. Another thing back then in the 60's/70's was after a couple of good results or so, the crowd could bump up by a few thousand for the next home game,and it often caused amusement or disbelief when the crowd was announced, when it was obvious there were way more people in.
plus in those days sheffield people went on holiday in august in this country had to have a bearing on the gate

31/8/1971

Blades 3 (Dearden 2, Woodward (pen)) Huddersfield 1 ( Jimmy Lawson)

I remember our goals but not Huddersfield's. We went two up early in the game with a Dearden header

View attachment 120128

and then a Woody penalty that sent keeper David Lawson the wrong way

View attachment 120129

In the 2nd half Jimmy Lawson (no relation to the keeper) pulled a goal back before Dearden made sure of the win with a brave goal, he dived in mid air to hit a pass by Currie past the keeper and he got injured by Roy Ellam's challenge. He received congratulations by his team mates as he laid almost motionless on the ground. He got a big round of applause from the crowd as he got carried off and replaced by sub Gil Reece.

View attachment 120133

I remember thinking that we are still at the top of the league after beating a team who comfortably won the 2nd division the previous year.

Years later my dad and I were talking about David Lawson (I think he was playing for Everton at the time) and my dad called him a "big head". I asked him why he thought that. He recalled being outside the players entrance after our 3-1 win in 1971 as I was autograph hunting (I do not remember this and it wasnt often that I went autograph hunting after a night match , maybe it made sense as it was still the school summer holiday and I didnt need to get up early in the next morning). When David Lawson came out of the players entrance to make his way to the coach, my dad said to him "that was a great save from a Woody shot!", the keeper looked straight at my dad with a quizzical look saying "Woodward?!", shrugged his shoulders then looked away shaking his head saying "Alan?!". Although I do not remember the save but I agree with my dad that it was a twattish behaviour by Lawson!

View attachment 120125
View attachment 120126
View attachment 120127

Scores, scorers and line ups that evening

From the programme

View attachment 120134
View attachment 120135

View attachment 120136
View attachment 120137
I remember when Huddersfield scored Currie had given the ball away deep in our half & Hockey gave him a severe telling off 🤣

We also missed the Southampton game, can't remember why.. Leeds was my Brothers first game, what a night.. We were at the Hudds game, who had Frank Worthington, who I remember used to showboat in the warm up.. not sure it was for Hudds or Leicester, but remember watching him warming up doing stuff like letting the ball roll up his body and balance it on his head.. He wasn't bad at football either.

1/9/1971

How many of you were at S6 to watch Leeds beat Newcastle 5-1? I was there and stood in Leppings Lane. Think I can remember Jack Charlton scoring the 1st goal at Leppings Lane End also Malcom MacDonald taking a long throw from the North stand touchline at the Kop End.

As a result of the crowd misbehaviour in the West Bromwich Albion fixture the previous season, when referee caused consternation with his offside decision, Leeds were forced to play their first four ‘home’ games on neutral territory.

1/9/1971

How many of you were at S6 to watch Leeds beat Newcastle 5-1? I was there and stood in Leppings Lane. Think I can remember Jack Charlton scoring the 1st goal at Leppings Lane End also Malcom MacDonald taking a long throw from the North stand touchline at the Kop End.

As a result of the crowd misbehaviour in the West Bromwich Albion fixture the previous season, when referee caused consternation with his offside decision, Leeds were forced to play their first four ‘home’ games on neutral territory.

wasnt at that one but was there in april 72 when birmingham came think they won 2 - 1 and had trevor francis playing for em keep right on till the end of the road ringing round the ground brum supporters everywhere

wasnt at that one but was there in april 72 when birmingham came think they won 2 - 1 and had trevor francis playing for em keep right on till the end of the road ringing round the ground brum supporters everywhere
I was there too.

WedFrancis.jpg

The previous night I was at Molineaux to see us win 2-1

4/9/1971

Nottingham Forest 2 (Storey-Moore, Martin) Blades 3 (Dearden, Currie, Scullion)

A lovely Sunny day. Nottingham was a place I had been to many times in late 1960s and early 1970s as my parents often went to NDCS meetings there. After the meetings we often went to a nearby park.

There were many Blades fans at the match. I stood in the East End stand. Forest's Storey-Moore was a name to look out for and he scored a good equaliser after Dearden opened the scoring. Midway in the 2nd half we scored twice in about a minute or two and both were scored at the Trent End, Forest pulled a goal back late in the game but not enough to deny us a 6th win in our first 7 league games of the season.

Forestcurriefraser.jpg
ForestBilly.jpg
Forestcorner.png
ForestBarron.jpg
Foresthoward.jpg
Forestgreenun1.jpg
Forestgreenun2.jpg
Forestthornton1.jpg
Forestthornton2.jpg

Top of the table 3 points ahead of 2nd placed Leeds. Scores, scorers, line ups and tables on that day in below link

4/9/1971

A lovely Sunny day. Nottingham was a place I had been to many times in late 1960s and early 1970s as my parents often went to NDCS meetings there. After the meetings we often went to a nearby park.

There were many Blades fans at the match. I stood in the East End stand. Forest's Storey-Moore was a name to look out for and he scored a good equaliser after Dearden opened the scoring. Midway in the 2nd half we scored twice in about a minute or two and both were scored at the Trent End, Forest pulled a goal back late in the game but not enough to deny us a 6th win in our first 7 league games of the season.

View attachment 120468
View attachment 120469
View attachment 120470
View attachment 120471
View attachment 120472
View attachment 120473
View attachment 120474
View attachment 120475
View attachment 120476

Top of the table 3 points ahead of 2nd placed Leeds. Scores, scorers, line ups and tables on that day in below link

A great day out.
Bert on the side terrace along with thousands of Unitedites.

One thing I’ve realised following the recent flurry of photos of TC in action is that , even if you didn’t have the pleasure of seeing him perform , the poise , balance and determination shown in these are almost enough on their own to demonstrate that you are looking at a very special footballer .

I can think of a few others such as George Best and Eusebio who have that same quality and , whilst I wouldn’t put him quite at their level , I can’t think of too many others to whom that would apply .

This was my first away game unaccompanied by a parent me and a schoolmate went on the SUT coaches and must have got to the ground very early the gates weren't open we had a wander round the ground getting a few looks from suspicious locals. Being a bit new to this we went in the seats above the side terrace when I say seats it was just a plank to sit on with a lines of white paint to mark out each seat and was sit where you want. About 2pm the main United crowd arrived off the train the first thing that happened was they all marched down the terrace in front of us to have a go at the Trent end quite a few spilled on the pitch while desperate Police had all on keeping fans apart. It was a cracking game run by Tony Currie who was a class above but run close by Woodward. Cracking day out we even managed as 15 yr old's to sneak a crafty pint in a boozer near the ground.

4/9/1971

View attachment 120468
View attachment 120469
View attachment 120470
View attachment 120471
View attachment 120472
View attachment 120473
View attachment 120474
View attachment 120475
View attachment 120476

That kit is a thing of beauty 😍

You could have been stood next to Bert with the Ecclesfield /Chapeltown crew.
i might have been next to you 2 as well was on that big terrace we were in that pub at the end was it called the trent bridge pub ? got a bit hairy in there at one point and plenty of forest fans about after game trying to throw anybody from sheffield in the trent lol

4/9/1971

View attachment 120468
View attachment 120469
View attachment 120470
View attachment 120471
View attachment 120472
View attachment 120473
View attachment 120474
View attachment 120475
View attachment 120476

that 2nd photo looks like that big terrace behind the players with united fans crammed in

I was one of the 25,917 and I remember it like it was yesterday. Was behind the goal in the Bramall Lane end (no real segregation of fans in them days, have no idea where the Southampton fans were).
There was about 50 on the kop they took a right beating

4/9/1971

View attachment 120468
View attachment 120469
View attachment 120470
View attachment 120471
View attachment 120472
View attachment 120473
View attachment 120474
View attachment 120475
View attachment 120476

Who's that with TC in the first picture? Doug Fraser?

Great report Silent.

The one thing I remember vividly about the match was Ted Hemsley's error and Trevor Hockey running over and giving him a supportive pep talk. Hockey was a real leader on the pitch. We could do with such leadership skills in our midfield today.

That was a proper team.

There was about 50 on the kop they took a right beating
Yeah one or two coach loads were being twats before the game picking on odd Unitedites outside the ground. The next I saw of them they snook into the middle of the United mob at the back of the kop just behind us and just after kick of let out a chant of Southampton. It was like the Red sea parting and a few seconds of stunned silence. The only way I can describe what happened next is to compare it to the wall of death at a heavy metal concert.

Yeah one or two coach loads were being twats before the game picking on odd Unitedites outside the ground. The next I saw of them they snook into the middle of the United mob at the back of the kop just behind us and just after kick of let out a chant of Southampton. It was like the Red sea parting and a few seconds of stunned silence. The only way I can describe what happened next is to compare it to the wall of death at a heavy metal concert.

Yea spot on pal remember Eric Martin facing Woodies pen and a handfull of Saints still on one of screaming for him to save it and he got weighed in with a sickening blow from the side

4/9/1971

View attachment 120468
View attachment 120469
View attachment 120470
View attachment 120471
View attachment 120472
View attachment 120473
View attachment 120474
View attachment 120475Hi
View attachment 120476

Got to say, I don't know why Forest did so badly that season. Their side (on paper at any rate) didn't look like a relegation outfit.

Got to say, I don't know why Forest did so badly that season. Their side (on paper at any rate) didn't look like a relegation outfit.
4 years earlier, they finished 2nd in league and reached the FA Cup semis.

Storey-Moore was sold to Man U 6 months later despite that Brian Clough thought he had signed him and paraded him to the crowd at Baseball ground.

1630797941455.png

exactly same happened in cup game with arsenal in 78 about 20 arsenal fans right in middle of shoreham they never stood a chance can remember their leader biggest black guy i had ever seen in black crombie think they called him dalton and he was the top boy of the north bank

Back
Top Bottom