44 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
UNITED FANS IN TRAIL OF TERROR AT WESTON.
Sheffield United club secretary Keith Walker denounced as ‘disgusting’ the behaviour
of fans who had smashed up a pub and a seafront zoo in Weston-super- Mare on a weekend trip to watch the Blades last match of the season, a 3-1 defeat against Bristol Rovers.
Nine people were arrested for offences ranging from assault to burglary.
Trouble first flared after Rovers fans invaded the pitch at the end of the game.
There was a fight and a stone throwing battle in a car park.
Many Blades fans had stayed in Weston on the Friday night before the game and went back to the resort after the match.
At the pub, fans in a group of 50 smashed windows and glasses, set off fire extinguishers and helped themselves to drinks.
At the zoo, fish tanks were smashed, and a monkey was released.
The monkey walked back into the zoo five hours later.

Remember Finnieston signing, really thought he would make a big impact, signing a decent centre forward at last,, lasted 23 games and retired at 25 due to injuries

I was there a very eventful night I would say approx 6 maybe 7 coaches stopped there after the game
I was in the pub that got smashed up but before all that happened we moved on to other pubs out of all the people that got arrested for that at least one of them got nicked because he was in the pub that night but not when it happened luckily the charges were dropped

I was there a very eventful night I would say approx 6 maybe 7 coaches stopped there after the game
I was in the pub that got smashed up but before all that happened we moved on to other pubs out of all the people that got arrested for that at least one of them got nicked because he was in the pub that night but not when it happened luckily the charges were Were you

I was in the pub that got smashed up but before all that happened we moved on to other pubs out of all the people that got arrested for that at least one of them got nicked because he was in the pub that night but not when it happened luckily the charges were dropped
were you too pissed to walk the monkey back to the zoo or were you waiting for him to get a round in?

From memory, I think it was a Java Monkey called Tinker.
There was a right battle in the coach park after the match with stones flying everywhere and what with all the running back and forth plus police horses charging about there was a dust cloud that looked like a WW1 gas attack floating over the scene.
I was on one of those coaches which went into Weston after the game and I can vouch that there was indeed a lot of trouble that night, plenty of it caused by Rovers fans who went there to fight.
A lot of Blades were annoyed at the very heavy handed behaviour of Bristol Rovers stewards around the pitch that day, basically hired thugs, who caused a lot of resentment which carried on after the game.

Bloody hell is that so long ago ( I keep saying that about stuff!!)

Back in the 2000s /2010s I used to o to Weston a lot....and I knew better to mention owt about the Blades sometimes....

Though the place has changed a lot since then....Its not far a giant dumping ground for "Brizzles less finest" these days.

Back
Top Bottom