What if the loanees go back this Jan?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
So we have 4 loan players in the squad.

What are the chances of them not being here come 31st Jan? And if that was the case, what would we do?

Olsen - unavailable for a few games and has effectively lost his place to Wes Foderingham, who is gaining, in typical Blades-embrasing-underdog fashion, a cult following. The World Cup is at the end of this season. I'm not sure Olsen getting splinters for the rest of the season is going to be ideal prep for the tournament, though he benefits from his understudies being, let's say, low profile. If he finds himself not playing mid Jan, it's not inconceivable that he and his agent may look for a way out.
Options - This has got all the hallmarks of the Blades way. We happily let Olsen go, Foderingham gets injured after securing a Play Off spot and we end up facing West Brom with Jake Eastwood in goal. Or Michael Verrips facing cold sweats and flashbacks from the last time.
Heart says - keep him. I'm torn but whilst logically it's a waste paying him as a reserve and on its own this makes sense, the lack of reliable replacements in an already stacked department is a worry. Plus getting someone to come as back up isn't going to attract top candidates. Verrips is likely to move on having damaged his chances almost irreparably with his debut and Eastwood has a long way to go to be considered for this level. The others are too green to consider as second choice.

Davies - I don't think there is much question that we would voluntarily send him back. He's maybe not quite hit top levels yet and he's not shown a penchant for overlapping really but he is a good player at this level and left footed. It's more likely someone like West Ham, who have been linked, see him as a decent pick up, given they also have injuries in central defence.
Options - Jack Robinson, Rhys Norrington-Davies, Kacper Lopata.
Heart says - if he goes then I think getting a replacement could be the difference between making the top 6 or not, though if we don't then it could create a pathway for one of the home grown lads to really surprise. We've more been 3-4-3 than 3-4-1-2 so I'd say overlapping isn't a must have it once was, more a bonus. If Lopata's injury is not bad, then his aerial dominance would be a bonus at both ends though he'd probably attack less. In fact I'd probably move Egan over to LCB where he plays for RoI. Another intriguing option would be RND who was talked of as a potential O'Connell understudy. He would lack height and looks like he may be a little rash at times, but he is one of those fierce competitors and he would be available on the overlap. You're very much going down the unproven route here. The assured thing to do would be to loan a replacement but this has been hard and if not left footed probably not worth it. In an act of solidarity, I'm going to blank Jack Robinson in the same way he did york blade on this one! Oh, and nobody wants to see Stevens there.

Gibbs-White - The sky is the limit with this guy. In a full season he'll be in the top 3 loanees with Glynn Hodges and Dean Henderson. It would be a huge blow. Right now he's out best player.
Options - Berge, N'Diaye, Freeman.
Heart says - it would have a seismic effect to our confidence. N'Diaye in a 3-4-3 probably. Berge possible if we ended up back at 3-5-2. Freeman potentially fulfilling his planned role if 3-4-1-2. We have options to get by and I think if we do lose him then we will not replace unless we spot someone of his calibre. Might be a very last minute thing. How to replace your best player at such short notice?

Hourihane - probably will start to show his worth under Hecky and not one the manager will send back. But with Norwich sniffing and maybe an 18 month deal in the offing we may not have a say
Options - Osborn, Berge, Fleck, Freeman, Coulibaly.
Heart says - if he goes I don't think we'll replace, especially if we do bring Coulibaly back. I know he isn't right footed but we're not all as OCD as Chris was.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

If we can send Olsen back, which I doubt, then do so. We'll be paying a lot of money for him. Wes has done really well but I'm very far from convinced he's a long term solution. I'd look at bringing a permanent no.1 in.

The rest you'd try and keep.

If Davies goes then I'm not sure we have a replacement at the club. Big jump from non-league to Championship. Still, Lopata would seem more likely than anyone else.

Ndiaye for MGW seems pretty like for like.

What are the chances of them not being here come 31st Jan? And if that was the case, what would we do?

Olsen - unavailable for a few games and has effectively lost his place to Wes Foderingham, who is gaining, in typical Blades-embrasing-underdog fashion, a cult following. The World Cup is at the end of this season. I'm not sure Olsen getting splinters for the rest of the season is going to be ideal prep for the tournament, though he benefits from his understudies being, let's say, low profile. If he finds himself not playing mid Jan, it's not inconceivable that he and his agent may look for a way out.
Options - This has got all the hallmarks of the Blades way. We happily let Olsen go, Foderingham gets injured after securing a Play Off spot and we end up facing West Brom with Jake Eastwood in goal. Or Michael Verrips facing cold sweats and flashbacks from the last time.
Heart says - keep him. I'm torn but whilst logically it's a waste paying him as a reserve and on its own this makes sense, the lack of reliable replacements in an already stacked department is a worry. Plus getting someone to come as back up isn't going to attract top candidates. Verrips is likely to move on having damaged his chances almost irreparably with his debut and Eastwood has a long way to go to be considered for this level. The others are too green to consider as second choice.

Davies - I don't think there is much question that we would voluntarily send him back. He's maybe not quite hit top levels yet and he's not shown a penchant for overlapping really but he is a good player at this level and left footed. It's more likely someone like West Ham, who have been linked, see him as a decent pick up, given they also have injuries in central defence.
Heart says - if he goes then I think getting a replacement could be the difference between making the top 6 or not, though if we don't then it could create a pathway for one of the home grown lads to really surprise. We've more been 3-4-3 than 3-4-1-2 so I'd say overlapping isn't a must have it once was, more a bonus. If Lopata's injury is not bad, then his aerial dominance would be a bonus at both ends though he'd probably attack less. In fact I'd probably move Egan over to LCB where he plays for RoI. Another intriguing option would be RND who was talked of as a potential O'Connell understudy. He would lack height and looks like he may be a little rash at times, but he is one of those fierce competitors and he would be available on the overlap. You're very much going down the unproven route here. The assured thing to do would be to loan a replacement but this has been hard and if not left footed probably not worth it. In an act of solidarity, I'm going to blank Jack Robinson in the same way he did york blade on this one! Oh, and nobody wants to see Stevens there.

Gibbs-White - The sky is the limit with this guy. In a full season he'll be in the top 3 loanees with Glynn Hodges and Dean Henderson. It would be a huge blow. Right now he's out best player.
Heart says - it would have a seismic effect to our confidence. N'Diaye in a 3-4-3 probably. Berge possible if we ended up back at 3-5-2. Freeman potentially fulfilling his planned role if 3-4-1-2. We have options to get by and I think if we do lose him then we will not replace unless we spot someone of his calibre. Might be a very last minute thing. How to replace your best player at such short notice?

Hourihane - probably will start to show his worth under Hecky and not one the manager will send back. But with Norwich sniffing and maybe an 18 month deal in the offing we may not have a say
Heart says - if he goes I don't think we'll replace, especially if we do bring Coulibaly back. I know he isn't right footed but we're not all as OCD as Chris was.

What are your thoughts?
The way you’ve laid it out CB looks scary actually, especially the Goalkeeping and Central defence options. Hourihane looks the easiest to replace, Gibbs -White, doesn’t bare thinking about , they’ve got to do everything they can to keep him, big loss if he goes.
To be honest it shows how much of a poor squad as been assembled, a lot of work to be done by someone and no idea what Hecky,s track record is on transfer dealings or with other management teams. Maybe someone knows Hecky better than me and as a idea on his transfer records.Is it good or is it bad?.

What are your thoughts?
Good post, just a quick one though, Hourihane is left footed so I’m not sure what your point is saying “I know Coulibaly isn’t right footed”?

The way you’ve laid it out CB looks scary actually, especially the Goalkeeping and Central defence options. Hourihane looks the easiest to replace, Gibbs -White, doesn’t bare thinking about , they’ve got to do everything they can to keep him, big loss if he goes.
To be honest it shows how much of a poor squad as been assembled, a lot of work to be done by someone and no idea what Hecky,s track record is on transfer dealings or with other management teams. Maybe someone knows Hecky better than me and as a idea on his transfer records.Is it good or is it bad?.
My thoughts too. You really have a leap of faith at centre half and I don't know, with limited budget, who we get as a viable left footed centre back when PL teams might be more inclined to stockpile players anyway. Jake Cooper isn't going to join, Davies was the other option. I've hardly heard anyone else mentioned apart from Colley from Sampdoria and he isn't coming to this level. Might be good for the long term if Lopata or Norrington-Davies gets a run but you'd expect a dip in results as they adjust to a high level, though you could argue Norrington-Davies played there last year, but not at centre back he didn't.

I don't think keeper is an area you take risks. I have no issue Olsen moving on, but you need at least 2 keepers you can depend on. As robbiez666 said, you'd probably need to entice a first choice keeper. Otherwise you may be looking at someone like Caballero until the end of the season; Southampton may not renew his deal beyond January if their first choice keepers return.

If MGW gets recalled we don't even make the top 10. He's that important to us IMO.

Unless we've got a watertight loan that means he can't be recalled I can see it happening unfortunately 😕

Ndiaye is MGW natural replacement but unfortunately is 12 months behind in experience but has all the same tools in his locker to be able to influence matches

I'd be OK if we lose Olsen.

The others would probably need to be replaced in the squad if they leave. Of course MGW would leave the biggest hole for thr first team though I'm confident that we would find a replacement for Davies at the back or Hourihane without too much pain.

Now the playing style is more "us" since slav went I'd be comfortable with lopata at the back if Davies was to go, and he'd be stupid not to go to West Ham should he get that opportunity..

MGW, I'm just praying that the OMB / Berge swap with wolves rumours have some legs because if we can get him by any means it'll be a steal..

Fotheringham has took the shirt off olsen on merit, in true underdog status it's his to lose now, so yeah olsen can go back for me, and we do need to bring Eastwood through now.. If he's gonna be a footballer, he's gotta be no2 till we decide he's good enough or not..

Apart from MGW none of them will ever make a match day squad for their clubs. They're only going back if we agree to still pay for the full season

We can’t send Olsen back without signing another keeper. Foderingham is doing well but he hasn’t suddenly turned in to prime Buffon and will drop a clanger or two sooner or later.

Davies the same really. The other options at the club aren’t good enough. So keep him unless we can find better.

Hourihane will depend on if anyone is sniffing. Norwich offer him 2/3 years I imagine he’d be interested and would give him a roll of the dice to see if we are ready to commit to him financially.

MGW there’s nothing to say. The biggest single factor in whether we can get back up or not this season. And if we don’t we can forget about seeing players of that standard for at least another decade.

It would be shite if MGW went back however I think DIDZ & Ndiaye are more than good enough at this level

Davies would be a worry as we don’t have any LCB at all bar Jack bobmscare Robinson

My thoughts too. You really have a leap of faith at centre half and I don't know, with limited budget, who we get as a viable left footed centre back when PL teams might be more inclined to stockpile players anyway. Jake Cooper isn't going to join, Davies was the other option. I've hardly heard anyone else mentioned apart from Colley from Sampdoria and he isn't coming to this level. Might be good for the long term if Lopata or Norrington-Davies gets a run but you'd expect a dip in results as they adjust to a high level, though you could argue Norrington-Davies played there last year, but not at centre back he didn't.

I don't think keeper is an area you take risks. I have no issue Olsen moving on, but you need at least 2 keepers you can depend on. As robbiez666 said, you'd probably need to entice a first choice keeper. Otherwise you may be looking at someone like Caballero until the end of the season; Southampton may not renew his deal beyond January if their first choice keepers return.
I think we need to look at the young keepers in the lower leagues. Again, try and plan for the long-term while we have other keepers knocking about.

Agreed, but if we want to develop our own players then that's the hit we have to take.
Yes, unfortunately so. I’ve never been interested in delevloping our own players, i just want the first team to succeed. But of course our new philosophy is driven by being skint, not a sudden interest in player develpment - I get that.

I can see Robin going back. Wes seems to be stepping up to the plate lately and is full of confidence at the moment.

At this point if we were to lose Olsen thus freeing up another loan spot as well as the one already available from the Collado deal falling through there may be some more freedom to wheel and deal in the market without really weakening us too much.

Olsen - Return. Bid for another keeper on loan who is more reliable and adapted to the English game. Olsen is a liability. We do, however, need to 'bring Eastwood on' in terms of match capability at this level.

Davies - Unless there are other options, we are stuck with him because the alternatives aren't viable. He is still a 5/10 in all aspects to me and more Collins than Maguire in terms of value

Hourihane - Send him back. He's not suited to how we play and hides in matches. Basically Norwood in all but name.

MGW - Be fantastic if we kept him because he is the catalyst for anything positive in the way we play, and only because he tends to not play in the way we play. He attacks, runs at, comes in from wide, drifts past players, digs the ball out of an can ultimately hit the target. And he feeds Sharp or runs off the ball to drag openings for Sharp to do his job. Without him we are fucked this season and any progress we have made recently under Heckingbottom will be quickly negated if we lost him and started playing N'daiye or a busted flush such as Freeman in the AM role. It's all up to Wolves though, isn't it? Thing is, if he is recalled, where is the hole in their matchday squad needing him, with six months of Championship work under his belt? For them, he is better off staying and developing further and us paying his stamp and for us it is better him here because we need him, especially making waves in a midfield which should be built with Berge sat centrally behind N'daiye and MGW moving in from the channels and possibly Didsy and Billy up in front of them creating the openings and chances

pommpey

I think we should just panic and give up.........
I did In 1976

Found it’s really helped my mental health since as a Blades disciple

Just expect the worst and a melt down of biblical proportions every 5/10 years . I look back at some of the stuff we’ve done as a club since 76 and feel that i couldn’t even write what the worst has actually been .

Anyway onwards and who the fk knows

Olsen - Return. Bid for another keeper on loan who is more reliable and adapted to the English game. Olsen is a liability. We do, however, need to 'bring Eastwood on' in terms of match capability at this level.

Davies - Unless there are other options, we are stuck with him because the alternatives aren't viable. He is still a 5/10 in all aspects to me and more Collins than Maguire in terms of value

Hourihane - Send him back. He's not suited to how we play and hides in matches. Basically Norwood in all but name.

MGW - Be fantastic if we kept him because he is the catalyst for anything positive in the way we play, and only because he tends to not play in the way we play. He attacks, runs at, comes in from wide, drifts past players, digs the ball out of an can ultimately hit the target. And he feeds Sharp or runs off the ball to drag openings for Sharp to do his job. Without him we are fucked this season and any progress we have made recently under Heckingbottom will be quickly negated if we lost him and started playing N'daiye or a busted flush such as Freeman in the AM role. It's all up to Wolves though, isn't it? Thing is, if he is recalled, where is the hole in their matchday squad needing him, with six months of Championship work under his belt? For them, he is better off staying and developing further and us paying his stamp and for us it is better him here because we need him, especially making waves in a midfield which should be built with Berge sat centrally behind N'daiye and MGW moving in from the channels and possibly Didsy and Billy up in front of them creating the openings and chances

pommpey
Agree with all that

other than comp CH with ON in terms of hiding . I have never thought that Norwood hides whereas CH seems to actively try to get marked by the opposition

Whatever happens to Norwood I will always remember him being the last player stood in front of the cop at the end of the 1-1 draw with Millwall when it looked like we had blown promotion - everyone was on their arse but he signalled to the cop to keep our chins up - really lifted me -

Anyway - MGW is the key as you say

In MGW’s case, when they say “season long loan” does it mean just that? Season long? And that’s what’s in the contract?

If MGW gets recalled we don't even make the top 10. He's that important to us IMO.

Unless we've got a watertight loan that means he can't be recalled I can see it happening unfortunately 😕
Depends on what we get to replace him !

Back
Top Bottom