1973-74 match reports and photos (50 years ago today)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

24/12/1973

Derek Dooley sacked as manager on Christmas Eve 1973. Here's the Star's late edition after journalists already having Christmas drinks were supposedly brought back from the pub!

Dooley1.jpg
Dooley2.jpg

A member of Bert's Gentleman's Club brought in a pile of old tickets last night for Bert to look at.

Amongst them....

View attachment 176576
1953 England v Hungary, the Match of the Century.

Everyone expected England to overturn the 1953 3-6 Wembley defeat at the Nepstadion the following year, only to be smashed 7-1. Still England’s heaviest defeat in football, I believe ?

26/12/1973

Man U 1 (Macari) Blades 2 (Currie, Woodward)

My cousin, Denise, and her friend Kim went to the match with me and my dad. We travelled to the match by Branson coach organised by the SUSC (Dronfield branch)

Before the match my dad said to me "If Man U lose today, Tommy Docherty probably will get the sack". Lou Macari (5 foot 6 inches tall but scored quite a few goals from his head) gave Man U the lead heading in a corner. Just before half time TC hit the equaliser with a scuffed shot that rolled on the ground and keeper Alex Stepney hardly moved as if he was deceived by the direction of the shot. In the dying minutes of the match, after Man U's defender Jim Holton missed a clearance by keeper John Connaughton, Woody broke away, Stepney came out of his goal to narrow the angle, Woody placed the ball past the keeper and the ball bounced slowly (Stepney might have got a hand to the ball) towards the far post. As the crowd held its breath it seemed to take ages for the ball to hit the post and then into the net. It was the second time in the same year that I saw the Blades win in an away match to Man U (we won 2-1 on Easter Monday)

I am afraid I couldnt find any photos of the match despite requesting for them in two Facebook groups. A Plymouth fan answered my request as I thought there could be some action photos of the Boxing Day match in the Man U v Plymouth FA Cup 3rd round match programme
1703546590523.png

Not long after George Best passed away in 2005, my cousin Denise asked me if George Best played in the Boxing Day 1973 game. I wasnt sure because I couldnt remember noticing him during the match so I paid a visit to the Sheffield Central Library to find out. I did find that he did play against us and after further research I found that he played only 2 more games for Man U after that. Tommy Docherty revealed many years later that George Best turned up in the dressing room "not looking fit" shortly before the kick off against Plymouth so Tommy decided to leave him out of the team and George never played for Man U again. It seemed that George was "hardly noticeable" during the match and he wasnt the player we had feared a year or two earlier which was probably why my memory of seeing "the fallen idol" that day had erased over the years.

ManU73mt1.jpg
ManU73mt2.jpg
ManU73mt3.jpg
ManU73pric1.jpg
ManU73pric2.jpg
ManU73goalchart.jpg
Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables in below link

29/12/1973

Newcastle 1 (Tudor) Blades 0

My dad and I made the long journey in Bransons coach organised by the SUSC (Dronfield branch). Dont remember anything about the journey to Newcastle but I remember the journey back well and I will explain later.

I dont remember us wearing Newcastle's all red kit. I have been trying to find photos of the match and I asked John Tudor's wife yesterday if she has photos of the match but she couldnt find any in the programmes they have at their home in USA. I tried googling but found a photo of us playing in the all blue kit at Newcastle in August 1974 so I have posted the photo in a different thread.

I dont think my dad and I made arrangements with John Tudor and his wife to meet before or after the match. I was in the other end from where John scored his goal and later on had his penalty saved by Connaughton. Very late in the game we were awarded a corner, Woody came up to take the corner kick very near where I stood. I bellowed "Woody, try the banana shot" twice. He didnt look at me but he did attempt to score direct from the corner but it went just over the bar! Not sure if he took my advice if he understood what I shouted!

In the journey back I was often going walking up the corridor of the coach and there were quite a number of other lads around my age doing the same. I noticed that there were girlie magazines being passed around some seats, so I had a look at some of them. It was the first time I saw pictures of naked women (none of them were shaven like nowadays though!) but of course I sat elsewhere away from my dad. My dad did notice what was going on and said to me "Dont tell mum!" I felt sorry for my friend who lived 3 doors from me at the time not being able to read them because his dad told him not to!

Newamt1.jpg
Newamt2.jpg
Newamt3.jpg

1/1/1974

Blades 1 (Woodward) Chelsea 2 (Kember, Hollins)

I dont remember being aware that Chelsea's manager, Dave Sexton, decided to drop Peter Bonetti, Alan Hudson and Peter Osgood from the team for the match at Bramall Lane.

We went in front midway in the first half through another cracking goal by Woody. At the Lane End, he took a corner from the left wing, the corner was half cleared and the ball fell nicely for the on rushing Woody to meet it at the edge of the box with a first time shot and it cut through the stunned Chelsea's defence.
Chel74goal.jpg
I dont remember Chelsea's goals but remember my dad showing his disappointment towards Connaughton.

Osgood and Hudson never played for Chelsea under Sexton again. Hudson was sold to Stoke in mid January and Osgood was sold to Southampton before the transfer deadline.

Chel74photos.jpg
Chel74mt1.jpg
Chel74mt2.jpg
1704068925407.png

From the programme

Chel74Ken.jpg
Chel74lanenews.jpg
Chel74tony.jpg

1/1/1974

Blades 1 (Woodward) Chelsea 2 (Kember, Hollins)

I dont remember being aware that Chelsea's manager, Dave Sexton, decided to drop Peter Bonetti, Alan Hudson and Peter Osgood from the team for the match at Bramall Lane.

We went in front midway in the first half through another cracking goal by Woody. At the Lane End, he took a corner from the left wing, the corner was half cleared and the ball fell nicely for the on rushing Woody to meet it at the edge of the box with a first time shot and it cut through the stunned Chelsea's defence.
View attachment 176984
I dont remember Chelsea's goals but remember my dad showing his disappointment towards Connaughton.

Osgood and Hudson never played for Chelsea under Sexton again. Hudson was sold to Stoke in mid January and Osgood was sold to Southampton before the transfer deadline.

View attachment 176985
View attachment 176987
View attachment 176988
View attachment 176989

From the programme

View attachment 176990
View attachment 176991
View attachment 176992
I was sat with my dad (a wednesdayite ) in the upper tier BL end - you’re right - woodys goal was great.

5/1/1974

FA Cup 3rd round

Ipswich 3 (Hamilton, Beattie 2) Blades 2 (Salmons, Currie)

Because of the fuel shortage, my dad decided not to go to Ipswich bearing in mind that I had to go back to Mary Hare school in 2 days time. I was at my friend's house that afternoon. My friend and his dad were listening to the score updates from the radio. I remember that many things were happening between 3pm and 3.50pm. First was that they heard Liverpool took an early lead at home to Doncaster Rovers who were at the time at the bottom of the 4th division, we were wondering how many goals Liverpool would score. The next update from the radio was that Doncaster had equalised quickly but shortly afterwards we were shocked to learn that Doncaster had taken the lead at Anfield! At the time we hardly knew any of the Doncaster players. The scorers were Peter Kitchen (a Blade fan) and Brendan O'Callaghan and we got to know better about them a few years later!

Then to our disappointment we learn that Ipswich had taken the lead but very soon after we were cheering with the news that Geoff Salmons had equalised and then we cheered even more when TC had scored to give us a 2-1 lead. At half time Doncaster were still leading 2-1 at Anfield then we hear that Kevin Beattie had scored twice in a minute to give Ipswich 3-2 lead at the break.

The next 45 minute was frustrating as there were no further goals at Portman Road and that Liverpool at equalised to force a replay at Belle Vue.

Ipsfagu1.jpg
Ipsfagu2.jpg
Ipsfamt1.jpg
Ipsfamt2.jpg
Ipsfamt3.jpg

12/1/1974

Blades 2 (Eddy pen, Cammack) Spurs 2 ( Coates, McGrath)

I was back at Mary Hare and have no memory of how I found out the score etc but remember a few days later reading my dad's match report in his letter to me. He mentioned that during the goalless first half the Blades were scrappy, Spurs showed class. I dont remember what he wrote about the disturbing events leading up to Keith Eddy's penalty equaliser. Some of the Blades fans BOOED when Eddy was about to take the penalty because they wanted Alan Woodward to take it. The below was from the Green Un in the following week.
Spurs74eddy1.jpg
Spurs74eddy2.jpg
The below is from the programme for the next home game
Spurs74Eddyprog.jpg

I wasnt even aware of the booing until I read the Green Un archives about 20 years ago. I think I would have been annoyed with the lack of support by the Blades fans. Until a few years ago I wasnt aware that YTV showed highlights of the match until it came up on Youtube. YTV didnt include the goals from the Spurs game in the 1968 to 1981 video of Blades goals (produced in December 1993).

Cammack's goal to put Blades 2-1 ahead

Spurs74cammgoal.jpg
The game was to be John Connaughton's last game for us. Furphy decided to drop him from the team for the next game probably due to his poor effort letting in Spurs late equaliser.

Spurs74billy.png
Spurs74cammack.jpg
Spurs74flynn.jpg
Spurs74pat.jpg
Spurs74gu1.jpg
Spurs74gu2.jpg
Spurs74gu3.jpg
Spurs74mt1.jpg
Spurs74mt2.jpg

From the programme

Spurs74Ken.jpg
Spurs74lane news.jpg
Spurs74tony.jpg
Spurs74chart.jpg
Spurs74spot.jpg

19/1/1974

Burnley 1 (Hankin) Blades 2 (Eddy, Currie)

For some reason the match was played on the Saturday evening kicking off at 7.30pm , I do not know the reason for this, about 10 years ago I asked Sharrowblade if he could find out the reason for this in the match programme. His reply was ..

"It was indeed during the period of the three day week.

The week before this game, United played Spurs at the Lane (2pm kick off). United reportedly attempted to secure the services of a mobile generator in order to power the floodlights and after succeeding, were told they weren't allowed, and therefore we're left with little option but to play at 2pm.

At that time, all the clubs were aware of their responsibilty given the energy crisis and were in constant dialogue with the Government. Tony Pritchett remarks in the programme following the Burnley one, (v Everton) that the game at Turf Moor had gone ahead under the lights of their generator, although that doesn't really tell us why they didn't kick off at 3pm."

I remember watching "Football Preview" on BBC1 earlier in the day at school and a photo of John Hope appeared so I asked a senior pupil who is partial deaf what the presenter was saying about John Hope. He told me that John Hope will return to play in the evening match. I was pleased about this as I knew him by meeting him after matches in 1971 and 1972 before the injury that sidelined him for over a year also he visited my house twice. It was to be his first first team match since April 1972.

Burn74Hope1.jpg
Burn74Hope2.jpg
Burn74star1.jpg
Burnstar2.jpg
Burn74mt1.jpg
Burn74mt2.jpg

19/1/1974

For some reason the match was played on the Saturday evening kicking off at 7.30pm , I do not know the reason for this, about 10 years ago I asked Sharrowblade if he could find out the reason for this in the match programme. His reply was ..

The week before this game, United played Spurs at the Lane (2pm kick off). United reportedly attempted to secure the services of a mobile generator in order to power the floodlights and after succeeding, were told they weren't allowed, and therefore we're left with little option but to play at 2pm.

At that time, all the clubs were aware of their responsibilty given the energy crisis and were in constant dialogue with the Government. Tony Pritchett remarks in the programme following the Burnley one, (v Everton) that the game at Turf Moor had gone ahead under the lights of their generator, although that doesn't really tell us why they didn't kick off at 3pm."

I remember watching "Football Preview" on BBC1 earlier in the day at school and a photo of John Hope appeared so I asked a senior pupil who is partial deaf what the presenter was saying about John Hope. He told me that John Hope will return to play in the evening match. I was pleased about this as I knew him by meeting him after matches in 1971 and 1972 before the injury that sidelined him for over a year also he visited my house twice. It was to be his first first team match since April 1972.

View attachment 177622
View attachment 177623
View attachment 177624
View attachment 177625
View attachment 177626
View attachment 177627 Arrested after for clocking a Burnley fan
Was at this game. Arrested after for clocking a Burnley fan who tried to nick my scarf. Went in the Black Maria along with the Burnley fan who had the scarf up his jumper. Obviously well know the copper dragged my scarf from him and whacked him full in the face with fist and leather glove. Stopped the wagon and let me out.

19/1/1974

View attachment 177622
View attachment 177623
View attachment 177624
View attachment 177625
View attachment 177626
View attachment 177627
Great as always

Interesting to note that a certain Jeff Bourne scored for Derby County on this day . Lovely hair had Jeff and fir a very very brief fleeting moment Jeff and Barry Butlin were awesome 🤩- imo

Great as always

Interesting to note that a certain Jeff Bourne scored for Derby County on this day . Lovely hair had Jeff and fir a very very brief fleeting moment Jeff and Barry Butlin were awesome 🤩- imo

Very brief, like one half of one game.

24/12/1973

Derek Dooley sacked as manager on Christmas Eve 1973. Here's the Star's late edition after journalists already having Christmas drinks were supposedly brought back from the pub!

View attachment 176616
View attachment 176617
There in black and white, though some what blurred, where Dooley's allegiances lay.
Get the statue DOWN, smelted down, recast into a Blades player of renown, that actually pulled on the shirt and stepped over the white line, kicking the ball in the Blades cause.

Great as always

both on target at millmoor october 79 in 2 - 1 win butlins far post bullet header at the tivoli end the winner

Great as always

Could have been a male model.

26/1/1974

1972/73 County Cup final

Wendy 0 Blades 0 (Wendy won 4-3 on penalties)

I am not sure if I was aware of the match being played at the time. My dad wasnt keen on going to County Cup matches, he took me to only two County Cup matches and both were at Millmoor in August 1970 and May 1971. My dad usually sends me the Green Un to me by post when I was at Mary Hare but not during the close season. Dont remember if he did send me the last Green Un of January 1974.

Woodward, Eddy and Badger scored our penalties, Flynn and Colquhoun missed.

Wendy74woody.jpg

wendy74spring.jpg
Wendy74gu1.jpg
Wendy74gu2.jpg

Wendy74mt1.jpg
Wendy74mt2.jpg

26/1/1974

1972/73 County Cup final

Wendy 0 Blades 0 (Wendy won 4-3 on penalties)

I am not sure if I was aware of the match being played at the time. My dad wasnt keen on going to County Cup matches, he took me to only two County Cup matches and both were at Millmoor in August 1970 and May 1971. My dad usually sends me the Green Un to me by post when I was at Mary Hare but not during the close season. Dont remember if he did send me the last Green Un of January 1974.

Woodward, Eddy and Badger scored our penalties, Flynn and Colquhoun missed.

View attachment 178102

View attachment 178099
View attachment 178100
View attachment 178101

View attachment 178103
View attachment 178104
Like the bit about the Kop being full of Blue and White and Red and White scarves.

Great as always

And Bob Hatton scoring for Brum in the same game.
He was ‘Didzy’ to Keith Edwards’ ‘Billy Sharp’ in our 4th Division champions season.

19/1/1974

View attachment 177622
View attachment 177623
View attachment 177624
View attachment 177625
View attachment 177626
View attachment 177627
Realised I hadnt posted the two photos of John Hope at Burnley
Burn74hope1.jpg
Burn74Hope2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom