1973-74 match reports and photos (50 years ago today)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

14/7/1973

I read somewhere that Tony Currie opened the Dronfield Sports Centre on 14th July but I dont think I was aware of the opening that day otherwise I would have attended the event and probably would have been in the below photo. There were still plenty of rumours in the papers that TC may move to a new club and it was well known that Tommy Docherty of Manchester United was keen on signing him.

The following week was to be my last week at Maud Maxfield school and I was to start at Mary Hare school near Newbury on 21st August which meant that my summer school holiday would be only 4 weeks long. I knew it meant that I would miss quite a lot of matches in the new season despite that my dad still bought us season tickets for the same seats in the BLUT.

The summer was going to be the last time Yorkshire CCC have cricket matches being played at Bramall Lane because a new stand was going to be built scheduled for the 1974/75 season.

View attachment 164606
chucky.jpg

chucky.jpg

Scary!

14/8/1973

Pre season friendly

York City 2 (Seal, Taylor) Blades 1 (Salmons)

I was at the game and I remember thinking that the ground looked similar to the Saltergate ground. Just before the kick off I noticed Woody looking over his shoulder towards a group of Blades fans near me. My dad noticed this too and I asked him what was being said, my dad said that a fan shouted "Snowy" at Woody. This puzzled me and I asked why was this. My dad thought it was because Woody's hair was going more grey. Yes, it was more noticeable that the colour of his hair had changed during the summer despite that I saw him at Cleethorpes with his family a few weeks earlier.

Yorkstarhead.jpg
Yorkstar1.jpg
York73.jpg

18/8/1973

Pre season friendly

Oldham 0 Blades 3 (Woodward, Dearden, Badger)

My dad and I went to the game. It was the last match before I started at Mary Hare school near Newbury.

I remember thinking that in a few days time I would be heading off to a boarding school, having the mixed feelings. Was I excited about making new friends, getting out of the house, and spending time away from my parents? Was I also nervous to take on so much responsibility for myself so far away from your home, family and friends? I was having the surreal feelings.

On the way to Oldham my dad parked his car at a small town centre probably to place his bets at a bookmakers while I waited in the car. It was a hot day and the car windows were open. I will never forget my first memory of having seen a hover fly who partially got into the car before it flew away and it spooked me thinking it was a small wasp who moved in a menacing way. It was a flying insect I hadnt seen much since then and over the years I wondered what it was and does it stings people. I must have been in my late teens when someone told me that it is a hover fly and that it is harmless!

Early in the match I noticed that Oldham's striker Andy Lochhead and Eddie Colquhoun were being aggressive to each other and it continued at times throughout the match. Quite a few times the ref had to go over to both players asking for calm. My dad was telling me that Lochhead is probably one of the hardest players in the league but Eddie wasnt afraid of him and gave him some stick back. At the final whistle I looked towards Andy and Eddie walking to each other and to my surprise it ended in a warm handshake and they seemed to have a laugh about the battle they had. My dad then said to me "This is what football should be about, go hard into your opponents but be friends after the final whistle". Then I saw Woody running over to the players tunnel an Oldham player putting his arm over his shoulders and have a friendly chat, then I left the ground thinking "When will it be the next time I see United play?"

Oldgu1.jpg
Oldgu2.jpg
Oldgu3.jpg

Oldstarhead.jpg
Yorkstar2 (2).jpg

Oldham73.jpg

50 years ago today was my first day at Mary Hare school, near Newbury, and I had no idea at the time when wil the next time I was going to see a Blades match.

I think during the week our new kit finally arrived and you can see in the below photo, TC had recovered from the bug he had in the previous week which caused him to miss the original photocall.

Blades 1973.jpeg

25/8/1973

Blades 0 Burnley 2 (Collins, Dobson)

Highlights of the match was shown on YTV but I never got to see the goals on youtube.

I was 160 miles away at Mary Hare school, near Newbury. I was thinking of my dad being sat next to my empty seat in the BLUT watching the above game (I learned a few days later from his letter to me that he took Stephen, who is the son of my dad's workmate, to use my season ticket for the match). Naturally from 3pm I was trying to find out the latest score at Bramall Lane. Manor House was where all (apart from three) the first form boys resided. All the school girls resided at Manor House too. I noticed in the Junior Girls common room that a few girls two years older than me and with better level of hearing were giving out latest scores for the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Leeds etc. I asked them " What about Sheffield United", they didnt know and one of them said "We are not interested in Sheffield United!" Sigh!

My Norwich supporting mate (David) and I agreed to walk over to Mansell House (where all the boys from the 2nd form onwards resided) hoping to have better luck in finding out the scores for our respective teams. When we got into the tv room at Mansell House I asked a senior pupil "What is the latest score for Sheffield United". "Losing 2-0" was the answer. What a disappointment!

Last night I asked David for his recollection of that day, he replied with the below.

My memories of August 25th 1973. It was our first weekend at boarding school and I remember it felt very strange. It was also the first day of the football season, and normally I would have been very excited but this time of course it was kind of overshadowed. Norwich were playing away to Wolves and in those days of course trying to find out the latest scores was much more difficult than it is now, particularly as we were deaf. Peter was equally eager to find out the Blades score - they were playing Burnley at home. We tried to find out the scores from the girls in our house but they had little interest, so we went down the road to the boys’ house where Peter was able to ascertain that the Blades had lost 2-0. However I was unable to find out the Norwich score because when the final scores came up it was down as L-L. Frustrated we had to return to our own house for tea. Eventually I found out in the next morning’s papers that Norwich had lost 3-1 and the reason for the delayed finish was that Kevin Keelan had collided with a goalpost and bought the whole thing down, causing a 20 minute delay! Imagine nowadays having to wait till the next morning to find out a football score - could have really done with the internet then!!

A few days later I received the Green Un through the post and attached with it was my dad's letter including his match report. He said we didnt play well.

Toss up

Burn73Eddie.jpg
Doug Collins scores the first goal
Burn73goal.jpg
Burn73Eddiehead.png
Burn73Billy.jpg
Burn73Dear.jpg
Burn73doc.jpg
Burn73tchead.png
Burn73Waldron.jpg
Burn73howard.jpg
Burnley73green1.jpg
Burnley73green2.jpg
Burn73mt1.jpg
Burn73mt2.jpg
Burnley73Wel.jpg
From the programme
Burn73lanenews.jpg
Burn73pritchett.jpg
Burn73Franks.jpg
Burn73tickets.jpg

Burn73heights.jpg

TC's Green Un column

Burn73tc1.jpg
Burn73tc2.jpg
Burn73tc3.jpg
Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables in below link

28/8/1973

Wolves 2 (McCalliog, Dougan) Blades 0

I will have found out the score after looking at the newspapers in the school classroom in the next morning. I dont remember this.

Wolves73McA.jpg
Wolves73mt1.jpg
Wolves73mt2.jpg

1/9/1973

Chelsea 1 (Hollins pen) Blades 2 (Currie,Woodward)

I remember the unexpected delight and jumping about in the Junior Common room at Mary Hare when the BBC vidiprinter revealed the result at Stamford Bridge as I wasnt expecting us to get at least a point!

I was supposed to be taken out for the day in the next day with my ex- teacher from Maud Maxfield. Her parents lived in Thatcham. It was my second weekend at my boarding school and my ex-teacher knew I would be homesick so earlier in the week she wrote a letter to say that she would take me out for the Sunday at Thatcham and Newbury. In the papers on the Sunday morning I had found out that our 2-1 win would be shown in The Big Match so I begged my ex-teacher to allow me to watch the Blades on TV which meant she had to alter her plans for the day! Watched the highlights at her boyfriend's house!

Chel73TC.png
Chel73eddie.jpg
Chelsea Sept 1973.jpg
Chel73gu1.jpg
Chel73gu2.jpg
Chel73gu3.jpg
Chel73mt1.jpg
Chel73mt2.jpg
Chel73mt3.jpg
Chel73mad1.png
Chel73mad2.png
Chel73mad3.png

4/9/1973

Blades 5 (Dearden, Woodward, Currie 2, Bone) Arsenal 0

I was in my 3rd week at Mary Hare. I didnt get to know the score until after breakfast in the next day. The rule was that I should go back to my dormitory to make my bed and clean my teeth before going to my classroom but I couldnt wait to find out the score as I went straight to a classroom (my classroom had the Daily Mail but I preferred the football coverage in the Express) to look at the scores on the back page of the Daily Express and I was gobsmacked to discover that we had beaten Arsenal 5-0 and I was looking at the photo of Jim Bone scoring the 4th. I regretted passing my exams to get the scholarship at that school! I wasnt aware about TC sitting on the ball until I received the match report from my dad a few days later!

Arse73papers.jpg
Dearden 1-0
Arse73Billy.jpg
Arse73woody.png

You can see the footage of Woody's goal after 5 mins 40 seconds in the below link

3-0 TC

Arse73tc3.jpg
4-0 Bone

Arse73bonegoal.jpg
5-0 TC
Arse73tc5.jpg

TC's revenge in front of Alan Ball who did the same thing to us in January 1972
Arse73tcball.jpeg
Arse73starqueue.jpg
Arse73star1.jpg
Arse73star2.jpg
Arse73mtphotos.jpg
Arse73foster.jpg
Arse73lang1.jpg

Arse73lang2.jpg
Arse73roberts.jpg
Arse73roberts2.jpg
Arse73mirrorhead.jpgArse73mirror1.jpg
Arse73mirror2.jpg
Scores, scorers, line ups and league table in below link

From the programme

Arse73lanenews.jpg
Arse73tony.jpg
Arse73board.jpg

8/9/1973

Blades 1 (Bone) Newcastle 1 (Robson)

I was home for the weekend from the school and it was lovely being back home just for a few days also seeing the Blades for the first time in a league match in the new season but for some reason my dad and I were sat in the John Street stand instead of our usual seats in the BLUT. I think it was because his workmate borrowed my dad's and my season tickets so that he could be with his son in the BLUT. Strange arrangement!

Both goals were scored at the Lane End. In the first half Jim Bone reacted quickly enough to tap in Iam McFaul's save from a Woody shot. Newcastle's equaliser was controversial because Malcolm MacDonald barged onto Tom McAlister who had just caught a high ball causing him to spill the ball for Keith Robson to tap in the loose ball. I have no memory of MacDonald's missed penalty and only just realised this when reading the match reports!

My other memory of the match was bumping into my twin uncles (both Wendy fans!) in the JSS during half time and they joked by asking me what I was doing playing truant from school!

Jim Bone scores the opener

Newh73Bone.jpg

Just before the equaliser, you can see it was supposed to be an illegal challenge!
New73clash.jpg
New73mac.png
Newh73.jpg
Newh73BoneMcF.jpg
Newhwoody.jpg
Newpol.jpg
Newh73gu1.jpg
Newh73gu2.jpg
Newh73gu3.jpg
Newh73mt1.jpg
Newh73mt2.jpg
Newh73mt3.jpg

From the programme

Newh73lane news.jpg
Newh73tony.jpg
Newh73sou.jpg

8/9/1973

Blades 1 (Bone) Newcastle 1 (Robson)

I was home for the weekend from the school and it was lovely being back home just for a few days also seeing the Blades for the first time in a league match in the new season but for some reason my dad and I were sat in the John Street stand instead of our usual seats in the BLUT. I think it was because his workmate borrowed my dad's and my season tickets so that he could be with his son in the BLUT. Strange arrangement!

Both goals were scored at the Lane End. In the first half Jim Bone reacted quickly enough to tap in Iam McFaul's save from a Woody shot. Newcastle's equaliser was controversial because Malcolm MacDonald barged onto Tom McAlister who had just caught a high ball causing him to spill the ball for Keith Robson to tap in the loose ball. I have no memory of MacDonald's missed penalty and only just realised this when reading the match reports!

My other memory of the match was bumping into my twin uncles (both Wendy fans!) in the JSS during half time and they joked by asking me what I was doing playing truant from school!

Jim Bone scores the opener

View attachment 170584

Just before the equaliser, you can see it was supposed to be an illegal challenge!
View attachment 170585
View attachment 170586
View attachment 170587
View attachment 170588
View attachment 170590
View attachment 170591
View attachment 170592
View attachment 170593
View attachment 170594
View attachment 170595
View attachment 170596
View attachment 170597

From the programme

View attachment 170598
View attachment 170599
View attachment 170600

My older brother's wedding day at the old Register Office on Surrey Street. Evening do afterwards at The Foundry in Wincobank. David & Janet Rodgers celebrate their golden wedding today so many congratulations to you both.

that was another lively encounter with the geordies on the shoreham 😉

11/9/1973

Arsenal 1 (Kennedy) Blades 0

Found out the score after breakfast in the washroom the next morning from a schoolmate.

Arsea73mt1.jpg
Arsea73mt2.jpg

15/9/1973

Spurs 1 (Chivers) Blades 2 (Woodward, Bone)

I remember finding out the final score from the Grandstand vidiprinter on tv in the Junior Common room. A great feeling that we had beaten 3 London clubs in the space of 2 weeks!

TCw.png
Spurs73woody.jpg
Spurs73woody2.png
Spurs73ted.png
Spurs73bone.jpg
Spurs73billy.png
Spurs73mca.jpg
Spurs73ralph.png
Spurs73gu1.jpg
Spurs73gu2.jpg
Spurs73gu3.jpg
Spurs73mt1.jpg
Spurs73mt2.jpg

Praise for Woody from Sir Alf Ramsey!

Spurs73alf.jpg

15/9/1973

Spurs 1 (Chivers) Blades 2 (Woodward, Bone)

I remember finding out the final score from the Grandstand vidiprinter on tv in the Junior Common room. A great feeling that we had beaten 3 London clubs in the space of 2 weeks!

View attachment 171026
View attachment 171027
View attachment 171028
View attachment 171029
View attachment 171030
View attachment 171031
View attachment 171032
View attachment 171033
View attachment 171034
View attachment 171035
View attachment 171036
View attachment 171037
View attachment 171038

Praise for Woody from Sir Alf Ramsey!

View attachment 171039
Let’s hope history repeats itself tomorrow!

22/9/1973

Blades 1 (Flynn) Norwich 0

In the previous day it was Speech Day at Mary Hare school, my parents were there and so were most of the parents. At the end of the day most of the pupils were taken home for the weekend. There were quite a few that stayed at school over the weekend including my Norwich supporting mate, David. I was aware that David wasnt going home for the weekend but it didnt really register to me that he could have travelled with me and my family back to my house to stay for the weekend also to see his beloved club play at Bramall Lane. In the journey back home in my car my dad was saying that he felt sad about David not being able to come back home for the weekend and said "he could have stayed over our house for the weekend". It was then agreed that he could come to our house for the weekend in the next school term after asking for permission from the school and David's parents.

I remember Flynn's goal at the Kop end and before that Keith Eddy got injured before being carried off, later in the day I learned from a Blade fan who played in the kickabout at my local park that Eddy had a broken collarbone. The other moment I remember was sub Steve Cammack's miss in the 2nd half at the Lane End. He had a great chance but badly screwed his shot that resulted in a throw in for Norwich!

Flynn's goal

Norwich73errol.jpg
Norwich73eddy.jpg
Norwich73keelan.jpg
Norwich73sammy.jpg
Norwich73stringer.jpg
Norwich73woody.jpg
Norwich73gu1.jpg
Norwich73gu2.jpg
Norwich73gu3.jpg
Norwich73mt1.jpg
Norwich73mt2.jpg

From the programme
Norwich73lanenews.jpg
Norwich73tony.jpg

26/9/1973

International Friendly

England 7 (Channon 2, Clarke 2, Chivers, Currie, Bell) Austria 0

TC's first goal for England and the last England goal scored by a Sheffield United player.

I wasnt able to watch the highlights on tv because for first formers, we had to be in our dormitories before 7.45 pm and the lights were out at 8.15pm!

TC scoring the 6th goal can be seen from 30 mins 15 secs in below video.

29/9/1973

Southampton 3 (Stokes, Gilchrist, Channon) Blades 0

My dad drove down to Mary Hare school with my mum to pick me and my 3 of my schoolfriends to go to the match. Southampton is about a hour's drive away from the school.

Last week I asked David (Norwich fan from Gorleston who was one of the three friends that travelled to Southampton ) what he could remember about the day. This is what he said "I remember that I nearly didn’t go! I hadn’t told my parents about it because I didn’t know they had to give permission, and at first Mr Pearce (the headmaster of school) was reluctant. But your father charmed him and assured him he would take full responsibility for me! I remember waiting outside the ground for the players to arrive. I had never done this before and was thrilled to see the players in close up. I even got handed complimentary tickets by Terry Paine but we had to give them back of course as we already had tickets. I think it was Tony and Michael who also came. I enjoyed the match although the 3-0 defeat for the Blades must have been disappointing for you."

I told David that I couldnt remember he nearly didnt go and that my dad had spoken to Mr Pearce before we had set off for Southampton. David responded with "Yes he was in his office for about 5 minutes and came out all smiles!".

I remember Terry Paine outside the players entrance spotting me and my 3 friends in our school uniforms, coming to us to give us complimentary tickets. It was a surprise to us despite that my dad had already got us tickets. I doubt if Michael and Tony knew who he was but David and I knew who Terry was and that he used to play for England. I think Terry didnt want the four complimentary tickets to go to waste (maybe his family/friends couldnt make it for the match?) and it was kind of him to do this but my dad stepped in to let him know that myself and my three friends already had the tickets and he thanked him at the same time. Terry looked a bit embarrassed when he took the complimentary tickets off me and my three friends. I do not remember seeing the Blades players before the match and asked David again about this. He responded "Yes I’m sure we saw the players before the game. I was particularly interested to see Jimmy Bone who had been playing for Norwich not long before. I remember your mum saying before the game, “they play in stripes don’t they?”. It would surprise me that my mum had said this! :) . I do not remember any of the goals but I remember seeing Colin Franks (his league debut) on the pitch.

I am still in touch via Facebook with Tony who is from Leicester but sadly, Michael (from Luton) passed away in 1979

Saintsagu1.jpg
Saintsa73gu2.jpg
Saintsa73gu3.jpg
Saintsa73mt1.jpg
Saints73mt2.jpg

3/10/1973

Texaco Cup 1st round, 2nd leg

Dundee United 2 (Henry 2) Blades 0

Dundeeamt1.jpg
Dundeeamt2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom