Leeds....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Really? I spend time in the company of Leeds fans. You try to have a general conversation about football in vain. All they are capable of talking about is Dirty Corrupt Leeds. It’s as though other clubs are simply making up the numbers. They are self-satisfied, deluded numpties.

Well there you go - I worked in Leeds for 6 years - Coal Road in Seacroft to be exact. Spent loads of time with many Leeds fans. They have their fair share of arrogant fans especially in and around the dump that is Seacroft, but they like us can be "fans of football".

The main problem with arrogant football fans is the ones who believe they are always right.

UTB

Sit back relax tonight and watch the red cards, injuries and draws come in.

No, it’s the faint sound of thousands of obsequious Bladey forelocks being tugged in unison.
Bloody hell mate you need to calm down you’ll do yourself some harm.

As an aside I have worked in Leeds for years and as with most fan bases there’s a cross section which includes levelheaded all the way across to Staffordshire bullterrier with a thistle up it’s arse much like most football fan groups.

All I’ve seen on here is reasonable debate between two sets of fans. Don’t join in if you don’t want to be reasonable.

Well there you go - I worked in Leeds for 6 years - Coal Road in Seacroft to be exact. Spent loads of time with many Leeds fans. They have their fair share of arrogant fans especially in and around the dump that is Seacroft, but they like us can be "fans of football".

The main problem with arrogant football fans is the ones who believe they are always right.

UTB

There is an issue here that the younger fans might not appreciate the enormous arrogance factor.

It’s the glory hunters that are the worse, they disappear when Leeds or Wednesday are struggling.
So most current Leeds fans are now actually relatively decent/ grounded, years of struggle teaches them humility.

But don’t be fooled.

If Wednesday get to the PL then 10 to 15,000 obnoxious Wednesday fans will pop up from no where living in Barnsley, Doncaster etc swearing their undying love of their team, they’ll try to convince you that with a few additions they’re aiming for a Europa cup spot.

If Leeds get in the PL then 30 to 40,000 obnoxious arrogant Leeds fans will pop up from all over the country telling us how they are the best club in England, genuine rivals to Man Utd and with a few additions will be challenging for the Champions League.

You think i’m exagerrating but wait and see. In some ways it would be nice to see Leeds United back in the PL but then I think back to those horrible fans from yester year and just laugh at their demise.

For what its worth.

I'm 28 (29 in the summer), so I'm to young to remember the Revie years by a mile, Don was sadly dead when i was born and Bremner not many years after. Obviously i know and appreciate the history but i dont have a personal connection to it, i only know from reading and watching clips etc.

I'm also to young to remember Wilko and those years, cant even remember the tail end, i was 6 when he left.

So my personal knowledge starts with George Graham, i can remember the 1997/1998 season and my childhood team was the O'Leary years.

So in total i can remember 21/22 years, of seasons, first 5 were great fun, 3 top 4s and a few top 5s. 2 European semi finals, lovely time to grow up as a Leeds fan.

Unfortunately for people my age and younger those good times were few and far between, anyone under 21 would be hard pressed to remember any really great years.

We've had decent seasons in the lower leagues but they dont really compare to top 4s and European nights beating AC Milan, drawing with Barcelona etc.

I'm under no illusions about our place in the football world now, we are a 2nd division side no more relevant or important in the footballing grand scheme then any other historically bigger sides that have fallen away.

We were once, be nice to be again, if we go up eventually i hope that we strive to be a top 4 side again, a potential title contender maybe, certainly dont want us to be a yoyo club or just one of the pack.

But we have no divine right to achieve anything, nobody does.

The rivalries with Manchester United and such are genuine, you dont have to take a Leeds fans opinion, you can check there forum for one. There also seems to be a rivalry with there rivals City, not sure where that came from but we have a 55 page thread just for this season on there.

A historically big club, sure, a potential big club again, yes, we have the appeal, our viewing figures are testament to that and Bielsa has bought even more global attention, we have gotten a lot of exposure in South America this year.

We have our share of blinkered fans, but most imo are pretty aware of our current standing but hope to eventually get back to the good old days.

For what its worth.

I'm 28 (29 in the summer), so I'm to young to remember the Revie years by a mile, Don was sadly dead when i was born and Bremner not many years after. Obviously i know and appreciate the history but i dont have a personal connection to it, i only know from reading and watching clips etc.

I'm also to young to remember Wilko and those years, cant even remember the tail end, i was 6 when he left.

So my personal knowledge starts with George Graham, i can remember the 1997/1998 season and my childhood team was the O'Leary years.

So in total i can remember 21/22 years, of seasons, first 5 were great fun, 3 top 4s and a few top 5s. 2 European semi finals, lovely time to grow up as a Leeds fan.

Unfortunately for people my age and younger those good times were few and far between, anyone under 21 would be hard pressed to remember any really great years.

We've had decent seasons in the lower leagues but they dont really compare to top 4s and European nights beating AC Milan, drawing with Barcelona etc.

I'm under no illusions about our place in the football world now, we are a 2nd division side no more relevant or important in the footballing grand scheme then any other historically bigger sides that have fallen away.

We were once, be nice to be again, if we go up eventually i hope that we strive to be a top 4 side again, a potential title contender maybe, certainly dont want us to be a yoyo club or just one of the pack.

But we have no divine right to achieve anything, nobody does.

The rivalries with Manchester United and such are genuine, you dont have to take a Leeds fans opinion, you can check there forum for one. There also seems to be a rivalry with there rivals City, not sure where that came from but we have a 55 page thread just for this season on there.

A historically big club, sure, a potential big club again, yes, we have the appeal, our viewing figures are testament to that and Bielsa has bought even more global attention, we have gotten a lot of exposure in South America this year.

We have our share of blinkered fans, but most imo are pretty aware of our current standing but hope to eventually get back to the good old days.

tldr.

If you want to be an apologist for the most corrupt club with the most arrogant, deluded fans in English football that’s your prerogative. I’ll keep my dignity whilst you’re having a frenzied tug.

Wolves are way in front of Leeds an that front

UTB

Really? I spend time in the company of Leeds fans. You try to have a general conversation about football in vain. All they are capable of talking about is Dirty Corrupt Leeds. It’s as though other clubs are simply making up the numbers. They are self-satisfied, deluded numpties.

UTB

They think that they won the European Cup and that Manchester United are their rivals.

What more evidence of delusion do you need?

I did like your post, grammatical errors aside, but this paragraph made me scratch my head.

I admire your ambition, but how on earth are Leeds going to break into the top 4?

It's hard enough for the big 6, let alone Leeds. The only club with half a chance is Wolves, with their seemingly unlimited funding and fantastic contacts - Even then it will be unlikely unless one of the top 6 clubs implode.

If, and it is an if, Leeds are promoted, they will do well to avoid relegation, just like us or Norwich. Beyond that mid-table (or "just one of the pack as you put it") is about the best you or any other aspiring club can hope for, at least until the inception of some European Super League - though I'm sure plenty of Leeds fans would feel worthy of an invitation to that too.

I did like your post, grammatical errors aside, but this paragraph made me scratch my head.

I admire your ambition, but how on earth are Leeds going to break into the top 4?

It's hard enough for the big 6, let alone Leeds. The only club with half a chance is Wolves, with their seemingly unlimited funding and fantastic contacts - Even then it will be unlikely unless one of the top 6 clubs implode.

If, and it is an if, Leeds are promoted, they will do well to avoid relegation, just like us or Norwich. Beyond that mid-table (or "just one of the pack as you put it") is about the best you or any other aspiring club can hope for, at least until the inception of some European Super League - though I'm sure plenty of Leeds fans would feel worthy of an invitation to that too.

Haven't read it at all so I'll take your word on the grammar.;)

Not expecting to break in to the top 4 straight away, i was talking long term.

When i was growing up Spurs were a mid table club, nothing more.

Steady progress, smart investment, i think we are capable eventually.

Not with our current owner but if Wolves can attract the owners they have why not us one day?

Still baffled why Fosun picked Wolves, Villa have there billionaire owners, get us promoted, stable, then why not.

If we get promoted, if we can become a stable mid table club, then in time i would hope we would strive for more.

If you dont hope for that then what have you got to look forward to?

Haven't read it at all so I'll take your word on the grammar.;)

Not with our current owner but if Wolves can attract the owners they have why not us one day?

Still baffled why Fosun picked Wolves, Villa have there billionaire owners, get us promoted, stable, then why not.

If we get promoted, if we can become a stable mid table club, then in time i would hope we would strive for more.

Yours is a reasonably worded reply CJ. Not a great deal to argue with in the way you road map your wishes for your club. It's what any of us would hope for, but central to this is the management at Board level, and we're still in what might be called a perplexing ownership position, so we're not best positioned to advise anyone about what to do where ambitions are concerned.

As regards your good self, your manager is a bit of a loon, but clearly knows his football and you (meaning Leeds) and he are well suited so not a lot to add where this is concerned. As for Chali 2na , he's one of the forum's better posters so you'll find there are no hidden agendas, just straightforward questions that hope for a similar response.

Between now and the season end we're all hoping to capture enough points to cross that line. I've been around long enough not to assume anything, but I do think we're in the right frame of mind, and with the right management team, to add far more points than we lose. Here's to both of us doing well. UTMB!

You obviously need a history lesson if you think that is a football rivalry.

I haven't opened your link btw, I don't need to.

Unlike you I was around and living in Leeds in the 1970's so I remember it well.

Two sets of animals vying to be the biggest anti social knob heads on the planet and unfortunately that attitude still persists amongst many Leeds fans and as before it still has nothing to do with geography and football.

Agree without massive investment then Leeds will struggle to break the top 10, might take many years.

However Leeds is a special case, potentially in the top 5 fan bases in England (behind Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs)
They have 1.5 million people on their doorstep with very little competition (loads of rugby towns but Bradford City aren’t going to compete) A successful Leeds United would easily get gates of 60,000, probably 70,000.
Potentially much bigger fan base than an Aston Villa, Wolves or even a Newcastle or Chelsea.

So I suppose there’s always a chance a billionaire with an ego will pump in many hundreds of millions and see the opportunity for this new comer to try and compete with the top 6

Last edited:
Reactions: Dkc

Yours is a reasonably worded reply CJ. Not a great deal to argue with in the way you road map your wishes for your club. It's what any of us would hope for, but central to this is the management at Board level, and we're still in what might be called a perplexing ownership position, so we're not best positioned to advise anyone about what to do where ambitions are concerned.

As regards your good self, your manager is a bit of a loon, but clearly knows his football and you (meaning Leeds) and he are well suited so not a lot to add where this is concerned. As for Chali 2na , he's one of the forum's better posters so you'll find there are no hidden agendas, just straightforward questions that hope for a similar response.

Between now and the season end we're all hoping to capture enough points to cross that line. I've been around long enough not to assume anything, but I do think we're in the right frame of mind, and with the right management team, to add far more points than we lose. Here's to both of us doing well. UTMB!

Thanks, i remember you have your issues up above, isn't that sorted yet? Seems to have been going on for ages.

He is, but he is our loon ( although i suspect not for much longer should promotion not be forthcoming).. I appreciated the response from Chali 2na as i do from anyone when on another teams forum, no offence taken, he is probably right about my grammar :eek::D just to lazy to care on a forum.

Personally, id like us, you and Norwich to all go up, with us top of course, but it would be nice to see 3 teams go up who nobody probably expected, who aren't bankrolled by parachute payments and who haven't spent the earth. I also think from viewing every team this season more then once we are the 3 best teams on our day, just my view.

Thanks for the response.

They think that they won the European Cup and that Manchester United are their rivals.

What more evidence of delusion do you need?

Well, that’s certainly true and we have further examples in abundance on here.

You obviously need a history lesson if you think that is a football rivalry.

I haven't opened your link btw, I don't need to.

Unlike you I was around and living in Leeds in the 1970's so I remember it well.

Two sets of animals vying to be the biggest anti social knob heads on the planet and unfortunately that attitude still persists amongst many Leeds fans and as before it still has nothing to do with geography and football.

Alright.

You have your view on whether we are rivals, i have mine, just leave it there.

And i've no interest in football violence tbf, one thing i'm glad i missed, the era of idiots from all clubs kicking seven bells out of each other.

Read your stuff on here and you're clearly a level headed intelligent football fan albeit a fan of Leeds.
For anyone who was around in the 70s irrespective of their allegiance your club was justifiably the subject of utter hatred and derision. Yours is to this day the only club about which every other clubs fans sing the same song.
I'm not going into why the aforementioned are are all true. That s up to you to look into or not.
Suffice to say from my perspective I'd love to see your club cease to exist.
Nothing personal.

Agree without massive investment then Leeds will struggle to break the top 10, might take many years.

However Leeds is a special case, potentially in the top 5 fan bases in England (behind Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs)
They have 1.5 million people on their doorstep with very little competition (loads of rugby towns but Bradford City aren’t going to compete) A successful Leeds United would easily get gates of 60,000, probably 70,000.
Potentially much bigger fan base than a Aston Villa, Wolves or even a Newcastle or Chelsea.

So I suppose there’s always a chance a billionaire with an ego will pump in many hundreds of millions and see the opportunity for this new comer to try and compete with the top 6

By Pele, that’s serious forelock-tugging.. You’ll have them tossing themselves off as they read it.

Sorry, but it’s nonsense. Villa, Newcastle, Man City, Sunderland, even West Ham, all have greater support than Leeds. So does the city of Sheffield. Leeds support, for a large one club city, is very poor. They are nowhere near the elite clubs. I see one of our ‘reasonable’ contributors is already talking drivel about winning the Premiership. Another clearly knows nothing about our club at all. That’s how they are. Arrogant and deluded. No wonder, together with their history of cheating, still going on by the way, they are so despised. I hope the nasty fuckers sink like a stone.

Thanks, i remember you have your issues up above, isn't that sorted yet? Seems to have been going on for ages.

He is, but he is our loon ( although i suspect not for much longer should promotion not be forthcoming).. I appreciated the response from Chali 2na as i do from anyone when on another teams forum, no offence taken, he is probably right about my grammar :eek::D just to lazy to care on a forum.

Personally, id like us, you and Norwich to all go up, with us top of course, but it would be nice to see 3 teams go up who nobody probably expected, who aren't bankrolled by parachute payments and who haven't spent the earth. I also think from viewing every team this season more then once we are the 3 best teams on our day, just my view.

Thanks for the response.

The owners are meant to reach some sort of decision about who owns the club, but from personal experience I know that if we achieve promotion this will help to focus everyone concerned. I think most Blades wouldn't lose sleep if the Prince took a running jump off a short pier, but we'll see how things pan out.

It would be nice to have a greater Yorkshire contingent in the Prem, so finger's crossed.

Bielsa's certainly brought colour to the English game, something that's welcome in my view. As you say, he's your loon, but he's amusing and seems to be more than capable, so it would be nice if he remained at your gaff. Here's hoping mate.

I'm just intrigued as to why you've got that diving plank as your avatar? His claims of a potential broken back against Bolton that (thankfully) proved unfounded sparked a full scale handbags at six paces on the bench that led to Parkinson getting sent off. I just couldn't admire someone who plays the game like that (and I'm not sure he's that good anyway?). Perhaps I'm just a product of a bygone era.

Thanks for your civil contributions though. After reading your civilised posts I hope you don't lose by too many tonight.

By Pele, that’s serious forelock-tugging.. You’ll have them tossing themselves off as they read it.

Sorry, but it’s nonsense. Villa, Newcastle, Man City, Sunderland, even West Ham, all have greater support than Leeds. So does the city of Sheffield. Leeds support, for a large one club city, is very poor. They are nowhere near the elite clubs. I see one of our ‘reasonable’ contributors is already talking drivel about winning the Premiership. Another clearly knows nothing about our club at all. That’s how they are. Arrogant and deluded. No wonder, together with their history of cheating, still going on by the way, they are so despised. I hope the nasty fuckers sink like a stone.

Agree but I was talking about “potential” support.
When Leeds are ordinary their support is relatively poor, half the size of a combined United/ Wednesday.
Never said they have great support, but they do have a massive amount of glory hunters and potential supporters close by.
Leeds isn’t really a football city (compared to Sheffield) but they have a lot of followers all over Yorkshire.

If any club is going to break into that top 4, let alone top 6, they better do it sharpish: the distance between them and the rest is growing.

Breaking into the top 4 used to be a case of waiting for one of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd & Arsenal to slip up, now City and Tottenham are chasing the same prize, it's a lot harder.

And as for Spurs: they may have been a mid table team when you grew up, those days are gone. Not only are they based in London (which counts for a great deal in the world of football finance) but they are about to move into the new ground; once that happens they will pull away from the rest of the pack even further.

You seem to missing a major part of the equation in regards to Wolves: not only are they mega-rich but they have forged relationships with one of the world's most powerful agencies.

Plenty of clubs have rich owners, without direction it doesnt count for much. It also seems that Yorkshire is a less attractive destination for these kind of investments unfortunately for you and us.

Of course you can strive for more, and more isn't impossible. I'm just trying to say that it's highly improbable.

You'll strive for more like the other 86 clubs, you'll be closer to that goal than the majority but far enough away for it still to be an unrealistic ambition.

Potentially much bigger fan base than an Aston Villa, Wolves or even a Newcastle or Chelsea.

I'm sorry mate, but that is absoloute nonsense.

Even if it was true, a large, local fanbase counts for very little: it's one small piece of much larger equation - Just ask Newcastle.

These days a global fanbase is far more important, which is why clubs like City and Chelsea are a million light years ahead of teams like Leeds and Villa when it comes to competing at the top.

If any club is going to break into that top 4, let alone top 6, they better do it sharpish: the distance between them and the rest is growing.

Breaking into the top 4 used to be a case of waiting for one of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd & Arsenal to slip up, now City and Tottenham are chasing the same prize, it's a lot harder.

And as for Spurs: they may have been a mid table team when you grew up, those days are gone. Not only are they based in London (which counts for a great deal in the world of football finance) but they are about to move into the new ground; once that happens they will pull away from the rest of the pack even further.

You seem to missing a major part of the equation in regards to Wolves: not only are they mega-rich but they have forged relationships with one of the world's most powerful agencies.

Plenty of clubs have rich owners, without direction it doesnt count for much. It also seems that Yorkshire is a less attractive destination for these kind of investments unfortunately for you and us.

Of course you can strive for more, and more isn't impossible. I'm just trying to say that it's highly improbable.

You'll strive for more like the other 86 clubs, you'll be closer to that goal than the majority but far enough away for it still to be an unrealistic ambition.
I think one of the main reasons Fosun bought Wolves is because they were making a profit (due to parachute payments covering the cost of getting back into the championship and stabilising) so they could load up maximum losses under FFP. They could do £13m every year on top of what they were already spending. It gave them the best chance for their plan to work.

I think one of the main reasons Fosun bought Wolves is because they were making a profit (due to parachute payments covering the cost of getting back into the championship and stabilising) so they could load up maximum losses under FFP. They could do £13m every year on top of what they were already spending. It gave them the best chance for their plan to work.

I've heard that before: makes a lot of sense financially speaking.

It seems whoever was the recipient of Fosun's investment was destined for success thanks to their links with Mendes- strange to think that it all came down to making a profit.

I've always said that Leeds are one of the top ten, a top ten who are out on their own in England
Man Utd, Man City, Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Villa, Newcastle and Leeds

Then there are the "mid sized" clubs like Sheffield United and Wendy, Derby, Forest, Leicester, Birmingham, Stoke, Sunderland, Middlesboro and probably couple of dozen others
These clubs spend most of their existence struggling but then occasionally they get it right and can be a very big club, even if only for a certain period of time. Even if they do well for a few years they will not break into the top ten in terms of size.

There is hope for these clubs to gatecrash the top ten but it would cost a fortune, and over quite a long period of time.
After all, it's not so long ago that we used to talk about the "big 5" being Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and Spurs and everybody else was shit.

Back
Top Bottom