Cup Tarts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Kenilworth

Forged in Steel - Fooked in Riyadh
Reaction score
Roygbiv Beans
Nice to hear on the pod this week, in the preview of the game vs Plymouth this weekend, the term “Cup Tarts” resurrected.

It was coined in the Clough era after a particularly poor performance against Crewe. I believe this was the thread.

If only we'd known it would actually get much worse as we endured the Atkins season. Particular high/lowlights...

4-0 defeat at Gillingham in first game
3-1 defeat at home to Bury
4-2 defeat at home to Shrewsbury
1-0 defeat at Bury which could have been 6 if it wasn't for Long in goal.
And finally the anonymous 2-0 defeat at home to Scunny on that toxic last day...

Puts this season into perspective though doesn't it?

If only we'd known it would actually get much worse as we endured the Atkins season. Particular high/lowlights...

And finally the anonymous 2-0 defeat at home to Scunny on that toxic last day...

Although we're rock bottom of the PL, there's still a way to go before we bottom out. Next season could shock a few people.

I‘d add the home defeat to Burton to that list. It‘s no exaggeration to say we were as competitive against them as we were against Liverpool at Anfield last season.

I’ve never seen a United team play with so little pride or effort as that night.

I‘d add the home defeat to Burton to that list. It‘s no exaggeration to say we were as competitive against them as we were against Liverpool at Anfield last season.

I’ve never seen a United team play with so little pride or effort as that night.

The particular kick to the knackers being it was Nigel Clough's Burton? And the knowledge he'd have fucking loved it.

His number 2 Garner was loving every second as I recall.

And why not, to be fair. I was pleased we sacked Clough, but obviously Adkins turned out to be an absolute fruitcake.

A further irony of that night is that Burton showed attacking intent that we rarely if ever did under Clough when away from home. The 4-0 at Gillingham under Adkins has been mentioned above, but the 2-0 defeat there under Nigel 1.0 was equally depressing.

And why not, to be fair. I was pleased we sacked Clough, but obviously Adkins turned out to be an absolute fruitcake.

A further irony of that night is that Burton showed attacking intent that we rarely if ever did under Clough when away from home. The 4-0 at Gillingham under Adkins has been mentioned above, but the 2-0 defeat there under Nigel 1.0 was equally depressing.

Also seem to remember a certain Mark Duffy running the game that night.

Also seem to remember a certain Mark Duffy running the game that night.

He was the best opposition player when we beat Scunthorpe in our first season down there under Wilson. He scored in front of the Kop and gave it large as well I think, but clearly looked a talent. Only took us 5 years to get him in!

The 0-3 home defeat to Yeovil is my all time favourite

I think we managed one half arsed shot on goal in that game.
It was fkn freezing and a definite low point in my ‘supporting‘life.
Me and my mate both agreed that we would never make it to the prem in our lifetimes.....

This could refer to the 0-2 home defeat to Crawley, a game which made my list of the 10 worst ever night matches, posted a few years ago.
I remember losing 2-1 at home to Fleetwood under Clough which was pretty bad.

However, despite getting 100 points, there were a couple of awful performances in the first Wilder season.

3-0 defeat at home to Southend. I think everyone remembers this and I remember posting after that game that we'd be lucky to avoid relegation if we continued to play like that... we didn't of course.

2-0 defeat at home to Fleetwood in February. Think most forget this as it was a one off and I think the last time we lost that season. However it was bad, McNulty came back in and started and was completely ineffectual.

I remember losing 2-1 at home to Fleetwood under Clough which was pretty bad.

However, despite getting 100 points, there were a couple of awful performances in the first Wilder season.

3-0 defeat at home to Southend. I think everyone remembers this and I remember posting after that game that we'd be lucky to avoid relegation if we continued to play like that... we didn't of course.

2-0 defeat at home to Fleetwood in February. Think most forget this as it was a one off and I think the last time we lost that season. However it was bad, McNulty came back in and started and was completely ineffectual.

Plenty on the South Stand mumbling about the job being too big for him during that Southend game.

One fella walked in after 20 mins and everyone just shouted at him to not bother and just go back home haha.

Back
Top Bottom