Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It does look more Crosspool than Manor, but Viners is on the left going down. If it was Crosspool we should be able to see Hanover Way, or whatever it was called back then. See my edit?

You can see Hanover Way. The front façade of the factory is still there in the picture, so if you peer through the gaps (windows with no glass) you will see the backs of the terraces on the other side of Hannover Way.

Hi Silent-thanks for reply. No, none of those names ring a bell. However, a further coincidence was that our first move from Darnall was , also, up to the Manor Top. As it was all uphill on Prince of Wales Road perhaps we thought we were moving upmarket.

Bad memories for me ,me and my mates had a fight in an Indian off West St across from Nirmals about 1980 ,it got out of hand and the kitchen staff got involved and the coppers came ,we ran off and one copper decided I was his prey ,I legged it into the flats and hid on a balcony for about an hour until I couldnt hear anything. The minute I came out 2 coppers were waiting and nicked me. Trumped up charge of criminal damage a night in the cells, £40 fine a few weeks later in the magistrates court :(
On street fights, we use to go to Sheff most Saturday nights in the summer 6 o clock Dearneways and home around 2 am. Early 70s no idea what street it was but deffo outside Wimpys burger bar( if anyone can remember it ). One almighty street fight must have been 15 to 20 having a reyt go at each other, police roled up and just stood watching them leather each other , went on for a good 5 minutes. Finally took the last 3 or 4 standing and left the others laid around. If I ever see owt related to Wimpys brings back that memory. Proper entertainment and all with fists and boots, no stupid weapons.

On street fights, we use to go to Sheff most Saturday nights in the summer 6 o clock Dearneways and home around 2 am. Early 70s no idea what street it was but deffo outside Wimpys burger bar( if anyone can remember it ). One almighty street fight must have been 15 to 20 having a reyt go at each other, police roled up and just stood watching them leather each other , went on for a good 5 minutes. Finally took the last 3 or 4 standing and left the others laid around. If I ever see owt related to Wimpys brings back that memory. Proper entertainment and all with fists and boots, no stupid weapons.
There was a Wimpys on the Moor near the top and one near the Market opposite BHS ,I would imagine it was that one , could be Rockers or pissheads from the Hen and chickens or Cannon although they didnt usually have mass brawls mainly one on ones.
Biggest scrap we ever had started outside the Marples in Fitzalan square and ended up in that long bus shelter at the peace gardens via fargate ,mad times.

Wimpey on fargate maybe.

Change Alley , Milk St and the bottom of Norfolk St now know as Esperanto Place. Would have thought it could have been given a more Sheffield orientated name. The name of the foundry which stood on the Odeon site I believe would have been more appropriate.
It was the site of Joseph Rodgers and sons, cutlery maker. There is a small plaque to the right hand side of the Mecca bingo hall entrance commemorating this fact
IMG_0417.JPG

The flats were on the left too Robby ,it threw me tbh but I think it might be going through Viners , it does look like Crosspool rather than Manor top area, but wouldnt you see Hallam towers or the Hallamshire ?
Going toward Manor top there would surely be Norfolk park flats
Could it be in an easterly direction? Maybe All saints church above Petre st.

Sounds like the one l was in outside the Wimpy on Fargate. Came a very poor second and was locked up with the kid who did it who became a very good friend. The Piggy twat.

It was the site of Joseph Rodgers and sons, cutlery maker. There is a small plaque to the right hand side of the Mecca bingo hall entrance commemorating this fact
View attachment 103467
Thanks for the info, I really must get out more.
I remember the site late, forties, with the steel work erected and just thought it was another bomb site from the blitz.
Some time ago I saw on an old street map it was marked as a foundry, hence my previous remark. I've remembered it because it was a surprise to find a foundry so close to the town centre.
Is the Joseph Rodgers the Rodgers in this 1960's photo. The factory running centre L to R full width of photo.Pond Street Sheffield mid 60's (2).jpg

Trying to work out that thing at the top of the picture ,would it be the mast at Lydgate lane ?
The church at Ranmoor, I think. The transmitter would be further north west (to the right of the pic).

Wouldn't you see hallam Tower Hotel?
Depends on the angle and perspective of the view. I'd say it's hidden behind the sign.

EDIT: I think the view is pretty much the below. Everything within the red lines is blocked by the sign/building in the shot (including Hallam Tower), all within the green lines is fully in shot, which would include Ranmoor church.
21-01-2021 09-22-06.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom