Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Anybody at the iconic Yorks v Australia match 1948.? The old man took me down on the Sat. morning to queue for about an hour to get in. Absolutely packed.
When Aspinall bowled SG Barnes for a duck in the first over the crowd erupted. We then got the incredible sight of one D G Bradman coming out to bat.
Never to be forgotten. Here is the Scorecard for that match in my somewhat untidy schoolboy scrawl. Also the wife's sodding rabbit has chewed the corner off.
Pretty accurate! :)

Post 20,515-Yes, Silent as my poster name indicates I was born and lived in Darnall at the time the ,'Duke of Darnall' was around. Walked past him many times in the 1940's with my mother who always said, "That's the Duke of Darnall." Although I was a youngster I detected a note of sympathy and affection in her voice. As I grew up and learned more about his plight it struck me as to how he must have suffered. Thankfully, humanity has moved on a pace and such as he receive exceptional support nowadays.

Post 20,515-Yes, Silent as my poster name indicates I was born and lived in Darnall at the time the ,'Duke of Darnall' was around. Walked past him many times in the 1940's with my mother who always said, "That's the Duke of Darnall." Although I was a youngster I detected a note of sympathy and affection in her voice. As I grew up and learned more about his plight it struck me as to how he must have suffered. Thankfully, humanity has moved on a pace and such as he receive exceptional support nowadays.
My mum was born in Nidd Road. She is now 92

Anybody at the iconic Yorks v Australia match 1948.? The old man took me down on the Sat. morning to queue for about an hour to get in. Absolutely packed.
When Aspinall bowled SG Barnes for a duck in the first over the crowd erupted. We then got the incredible sight of one D G Bradman coming out to bat.
Never to be forgotten. Here is the Scorecard for that match in my somewhat untidy schoolboy scrawl. Also the wife's sodding rabbit has chewed the corner off.
I wasn't around at the time, but later in the early 50s I remember a guy in a white coat called Larry Brown yelling " scoring card" at the top of his voice, early predecessor of the programme 3 quid bloke. If you bought a score card after lunch it came typed with the morning session events.
Rabbits make lovely gravy you know.

That is just fantastic. Some absolute stunners in there and sights I’ve not seen since a little kid.
What an unbelievable collection, must have spent my life walking around with my eyes closed, even makes an oxygen pipeline look interesting.

"Oyel int Ruward" Taken in May 1970. If you were posh you called it something else. When it was first opened it was amazing and always kept pristine, Sadly it was allowed to fall into decline. I've lost count of the number of ladies I met at the fish tank. :) I'm getting a look from a Rocker. img190cMay70SHJOO&NSU.jpg

Someone mentioned Broomhall Flats. Love them or hate them here they are. I took the photograph in late 1969 as they were nearly finished. View attachment 103378
Bad memories for me ,me and my mates had a fight in an Indian off West St across from Nirmals about 1980 ,it got out of hand and the kitchen staff got involved and the coppers came ,we ran off and one copper decided I was his prey ,I legged it into the flats and hid on a balcony for about an hour until I couldnt hear anything. The minute I came out 2 coppers were waiting and nicked me. Trumped up charge of criminal damage a night in the cells, £40 fine a few weeks later in the magistrates court :(

I;m looking for that photo of the crowd and scoreboard at a Cricket match at the Lane in early 50's. Can anyone direct me to it please.?

Further to Mad Mick 's Broomhall, I had a bit of a Google.

Here's half of the Viners factory that fronted Upper Hanover St, from the flats:

1611057880017.png

Loads of other excellent evocative pics on here:

Further to Mad Mick 's Broomhall, I had a bit of a Google.

Here's half of the Viners factory that fronted Upper Hanover St, from the flats:

View attachment 103420

Loads of other excellent evocative pics on here:
Trying to work out that thing at the top of the picture ,would it be the mast at Lydgate lane ?

Trying to work out that thing at the top of the picture ,would it be the mast at Lydgate lane ?

Probably

"A prominent landmark, also on Lydgate Lane, is the Crosspool transmitter, officially known as the Tapton Hill transmitting station, which stands on the site of a covered reservoir and is well seen from many parts of Sheffield. The 57-metre-high mast takes advantage of Crosspool's elevated position to provide TV pictures and radio signals for Sheffield by the “line of sight” method"

You'd be amazed (or maybe you wouldn't), about the amount of techie stuff available on line. Here's some incomprehensible info plus a couple more pics:

Hi Silent- I know Nidd Road very well- had loads of mates lived on there. I was born on Thames Road and the gardens of Thames and Nidd backed onto each other. I am 10 years younger than your mother but I reckon we might know a few of the same families or ,even each other. Last time I visited , probably, in the nineties the terraced houses had been replaced by what they called 'town houses'. The Duke of Darnall was well known around those parts. Brilliant community, in those days, and I had a fabulous childhood. Do you mind if I ask what your mother's name was? Maybe you can post a private message. No worries otherwise.

I wouldn't be surprised. They had all sorts of issues. They were built in a sort of kit form. But at first, I think the residents loved them.
When I was at school doing drama the teacher decided we had to research a subject and do a short musical play based on it. Joy.

Our subject was Broomhall flats, so we did our research. We visited them, and they were shocking. Mouldy, damp, often with water flowing down the internal walls, they had been built to a shoddy standard. Like Park Hill flats they were in part inspired by Le Corbusier's designs for "streets in the sky".

Each concrete panel needed a rubber baffle between them to waterproof the joins, but when the builders dropped a baffle they didn't wait to get a fresh one, they just went ahead without. The panels were also cast badly, with the metal reinforcing often protruding, so even before they were finished they were damp, leaking and deteriorating due to water ingress, rust and blown concrete. And yet work of this kind was deemed acceptable by the builders working on it, and the building inspectors signing off on them.

The people living in them, including one classmate of mine, often had health problems associated with living in damp and mouldy conditions. They also had the fun of dodging stuff that was thrown off the balconies.

It's a wonder they lasted as long as they did.

"Oyel int Ruward" Taken in May 1970. If you were posh you called it something else. When it was first opened it was amazing and always kept pristine, Sadly it was allowed to fall into decline. I've lost count of the number of ladies I met at the fish tank. :) I'm getting a look from a Rocker. View attachment 103419

The singer of the band Hot Sauce Pony used to be a student in Sheffield. She told me that when her and her new flatmates first moved into the city, they were always on the look-out for somewhere called Oil Lint Road.

Tricky one Sitters. Viners is on the left going down Hanover Way, so I think the photo is facing south east towards Arbourthorne or Manor Top. Blowed if I can work out where the mast/tower/church steeple is though.

Edit. Cholora Monument?

Tricky one Sitters. Viners is on the left going down Hanover Way, so I think the photo is facing south east towards Arbourthorne or Manor Top. Blowed if I can work out where the mast/tower/church steeple is though.
The flats were on the left too Robby ,it threw me tbh but I think it might be going through Viners , it does look like Crosspool rather than Manor top area, but wouldnt you see Hallam towers or the Hallamshire ?
Going toward Manor top there would surely be Norfolk park flats

The flats were on the left too Robby ,it threw me tbh but I think it might be going through Viners , it does look like Crosspool rather than Manor top area.

It does look more Crosspool than Manor, but Viners is on the left going down. If it was Crosspool we should be able to see Hanover Way, or whatever it was called back then. See my edit?

It does look more Crosspool than Manor, but Viners is on the left going down. If it was Crosspool we should be able to see Hanover Way, or whatever it was called back then. See my edit?
Cholera monument wasnt on the top of a hill though was it ? And aouldnt you see flats ? Im going with lydgate lane , one of the oldies will be on to put us right ;)

Cholera monument wasnt on the top of a hill though was it ? And aouldnt you see flats ? Im going with lydgate lane , one of the oldies will be on to put us right ;)
Good idea, some old un with nowt else better to do will know for sure. I've got housework to catch up on.

The flats were on the left too Robby ,it threw me tbh but I think it might be going through Viners , it does look like Crosspool rather than Manor top area, but wouldnt you see Hallam towers or the Hallamshire ?
Going toward Manor top there would surely be Norfolk park flats

Isn't the picture facing more to the South? What about the spire in the cemetery?

Hi Silent- I know Nidd Road very well- had loads of mates lived on there. I was born on Thames Road and the gardens of Thames and Nidd backed onto each other. I am 10 years younger than your mother but I reckon we might know a few of the same families or ,even each other. Last time I visited , probably, in the nineties the terraced houses had been replaced by what they called 'town houses'. The Duke of Darnall was well known around those parts. Brilliant community, in those days, and I had a fabulous childhood. Do you mind if I ask what your mother's name was? Maybe you can post a private message. No worries otherwise.
My mum's maiden name was Milner. The family moved to the Circle at Manor when she was one or two and then to Hartley Brook Road at Shiregreen in 1932. Her auntie was Lily Sidebottom (d 1956) who was married to Francis (d 1946) and they lived in Nidd Road till their deaths

Bad memories for me ,me and my mates had a fight in an Indian off West St across from Nirmals about 1980 ,it got out of hand and the kitchen staff got involved and the coppers came ,we ran off and one copper decided I was his prey ,I legged it into the flats and hid on a balcony for about an hour until I couldnt hear anything. The minute I came out 2 coppers were waiting and nicked me. Trumped up charge of criminal damage a night in the cells, £40 fine a few weeks later in the magistrates court :(

It sounds like we’ve got our own version of Mark the Pitsmoor Owl, although in his case he was bang to rights, what with the gun and everything, not just throwing popadoms around.

It sounds like we’ve got our own version of Mark the Pitsmoor Owl, although in his case he was bang to rights, what with the gun and everything, not just throwing popadoms around.
Don't take papadom throwing too lightly Trigg, someone was killed outside the Mangala for breaking a popadom into a waiters face.

Back
Top Bottom