When will football come back?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When do you think football will be back in this country

• May

Votes: 51 13.1%
  • June

Votes: 87 22.3%
  • July

Votes: 54 13.8%
  • August

Votes: 58 14.9%
  • September

Votes: 48 12.3%
  • October or later..

Votes: 92 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some soothsayers on here apparently. Funny, I thought we were all in the same boat of having no bloody idea.

At the end of the day, there's no way this Chinese virus will be allowed to literally stop the world for anything like a year. Surely we're not that stupid....

The long term damage would surpass the significance of the death toll by a ridiculous margin. A line will have to be drawn somewhere.

To be honest I am surprised that it's that low....I have said it before I will be very surprised if we see any football before Sept-Oct and that's ambitious and behind closed doors. The experts have said social distancing could last 18 months. Football is not important n the grand scheme of things.

It would not shock me if we don't see Football until Aug 2022. That might bewilder some but I think until a vaccine is found and the World take a a grip of it which is a long way away then non essential stuff just won't happen...especially if large gatherings mean it could see further spikes.

I am not quite sure why some people think this is all going to be over in 2-3 months?

This lockdown will last until at least June-July. Then even if they relax things...the 2nd wave next Autumn will mean I feel there will be another similiar 3-4 month lockdown at around Oct-Feb.

Until there is a vaccine....Football with fans is not going to be played. Indeed even behind closed doors this is fantasy stuff suggesting we can play games every week.

At best they could get some closed door stuff in around Aug but then it would have to finish as soon as one player or official got it. Look at what happened with Hudson Odoi and Arteta. One person and the lot is suspended again so how we would be able to run proper competitions every week....well they can't.

Just my opinion but one based on what the experts are saying.

As for the current season finishing...it is not going to happen. I think it should finish by the way even if 12-18 months down the line but the practicalities will mean it won't happen. Player contracts/sponsorship etc will all finish the end of June.

It is going to be tough on Liverpool, ,Leicester, us and Leeds/West Brom etc and sure a few lawsuits will come in but it will happen. I would not be shocked if they have a totally inconsistent approach as has been rumoured and give Liverpool the league and promote those top 2 and have this 22 team league. Nothing would surprise me. The non leagues and lower leagues no that clubs csnt afford lawsuits so they will appease the richest at the top of the tree. How they could give teams the league or promotion but not let the others finish would be totally unethical but you watch.

They'll keep delaying it every month to around July/August then they will just cancel it as they will see there is no prospect of any football for a long time and then come up with some half bakedplan like above.

The focus will shift to a normal 2021/22 season.

Really hope I am wrong but as I say regardless of what happens behind closed doors we are not going to set foot inside a football ground for a very, very long time. I think a year minimum.

There is no way the country will be able to sustain a lockdown(s) for the best part of a year. The economy would never recover!

Wait till the gatherings, protests and looting start......

I think we are likely looking at end of july at the very earliest, because that's where all events are being moved to.

At the end of the day, there's no way this Chinese virus will be allowed to literally stop the world for anything like a year. Surely we're not that stupid....

The long term damage would surpass the significance of the death toll by a ridiculous margin. A line will have to be drawn somewhere.

It's not about being stupid. It's about saving people. If things carry on do we just say in 2 or 3 months the economy is suffering let's take our chances and reopen everything?

'The long term damage to the economy would surpass the significance of the death toll?'

I am not sure I understand.. is this effectively saying loads are going to die anyway or have died so we need to look after the economy now and just deal with whatever deaths we have/are coming ? That's what it sounds like?

I think we are likely looking at end of july at the very earliest, because that's where all events are being moved to.

Till they are cancelled again.

People are edging their bets.

As I say let's say it starts July behind closed doors and one person/official
Involved in a league (let's say 40 man squad + officials x 20= 60 x 20 = 1,200 people so chances are 1 person gets it quite high even mild strain) contracts the virus then what happens? It all shuts down again for another 2 months. Then what?

It's not about being stupid. It's about saving people. If things carry on do we just say in 2 or 3 months the economy is suffering let's take our chances and reopen everything?

'The long term damage to the economy would surpass the significance of the death toll?'

I am not sure I understand.. is this effectively saying loads are going to due anyway or have died so we need to look after the economy now and just deal with whatever deaths we have/are coming ? That's what it sounds like?
I think there would be more deaths from the lockdown that has gone on too long than the deaths from the virus because there would be starvation from food shortages and suicides etc

I am not sure I understand.. is this effectively saying loads are going to die anyway or have died so we need to look after the economy now and just deal with whatever deaths we have/are coming ? That's what it sounds like?

I don’t think Ricky is suggesting let’s go back to normal and let people die but I do agree that the government can’t prop up the economy for much longer than a few months. If people aren’t working then there are no taxes and NI contributions which in turn means no essential investment in the NHS and so on. I don’t want to see anybody die of this bloody virus young or old but tragically it’s inevitable. I lost my mum to cancer last year and couldn’t help feeling that if she wasn’t 80 they would have done more scans earlier when I asked. It may not have made a difference but I’m damn sure there were financial factors involved and always will be.

Pouring incredible effort and resources into saving (mostly old/doomed) people when the last thing this world needs is a larger human population is decidedly stupid when it will ultimately lead to so much more damage in so many other ways. Not just the unthinkable economic damage. The trickle down effects are endless. Quality of life, health, mental health etc. What does life become?

The testing kits (and hopefully a vaccine) will have to arrive before any return to relative normality is attempted but even without a vaccine there's only so long you can wait.

think the end of May could squeak it or June is more likely
allow in fans not on points but whos immune , proven to have had it, as the tests will be in use then

we ie the world cant afford to not clear it up in 3 to 5 months per country as the world economy will collapse,
Already here in sPAIN lots of people been made redundant Lotsaround me who worked in offices shops bars and restaurants are living on nothing ,
England can prop up an economy for a while but 80 per cent of the world cant

Last edited:

Where would would you draw that line? Just Asking for a friend’s grandparents

Pouring incredible effort and resources into saving (mostly old/doomed) people when the last thing this world needs is a larger human population is decidedly stupid when it will ultimately lead to so much more damage in so many other ways. Not just the unthinkable economic damage. The trickle down effects are endless. Quality of life, health, mental health etc. What does life become?

The testing kits (and hopefully a vaccine) will have to arrive before any return to relative normality is attempted but even without a vaccine there's only so long you can wait.

Maybe that's where people are different.

Personally I'd rather have 2...5...maybe even 10 years more with someone I love (got a family member currently affected by CV currently in hospital) even if they are 'elderly'.

You cannot put a price on life even if the economy (which is going to be shafted worldwide anyway) takes a further hit.

Not everyone who is going to die from this was doomed as you so nicely put it.

If it means we can't go to the pub or watch a football match for 6-12 months so be it.

Things are not going to change in the next few months. If the country can't keep a lockdown going for the period of time needed (As I say could be 3-4 months now and possibly another next Autumn) due to economical reasons (mental health a factor I agree though) then we would be effectively consigning thousands to death...many who maybe would not die if we sustained things as they are for a longer period of time.

As you say the vaccine is the only long term solution but that's a long time away. I am concerned that when things plateau in terms of cases/deaths everyone will demand we go back to normal. Then it will just go back up again and we are back to square one. Surely we are better to play the long game for the sake of the economy longer term as much as the humane element? On-off shutdowns for 18 months probably would have a more catastrophic affect than an elongated one now I feel.

No one is right or wrong on this and whatever decisions are made by the Govt are going to be incredibly tough.

think the end of May could squeak it or June is more likely
allow in fans not on points but whos immune , proven to have had it, as the tests will be in use then

Why should they waste tests on footballers or fans? No fans will be allowed on grounds for a long, long time.

I think the problem is that we have tests available globally, but govt policy is to not use them for suspect covid patients, a good example of this is South Korea who have tested 222,000 people.

It’s not the limited amount of tests which is the problem, it is the limited resources the govt have to do testing which is the issue, something which i would imagine the epl have in abundance.

it would take around 5,000 tests to get every epl football player tested for every remaining match, if the epl have the funding, and they pay for production of the tests (plus give surplus to the wider population), then why not?

Their are already a number of companies who’ve developed quick covid tests, but they are not being bought by the nhs yet.

Imagine the outcry if testing was done on a footballers (whether they could afford it privately or not) to get games on when even the NHS are not being tested?

That would be ridiculous.

Football is rightly bottom of the pile when it comes to priorities.

Why should they waste tests on footballers or fans? No fans will be allowed on grounds for a long, long time.

If we let people out in general whats it matter if its to go to bars or a match
we wont be able to sustain a lock in for 6 months or more, or need to
more people will die from suicide or starvation

Maybe that's where people are different.

Personally I'd rather have 2...5...maybe even 10 years more with someone I love (got a family member currently affected by CV currently in hospital) even if they are 'elderly'.

You cannot put a price on life even if the economy (which is going to be shafted worldwide anyway) takes a further hit.

Not everyone who is going to die from this was doomed as you so nicely put it.

If it means we can't go to the pub or watch a football match for 6-12 months so be it.

Things are not going to change in the next few months. If the country can't keep a lockdown going for the period of time needed (As I say could be 3-4 months now and possibly another next Autumn) due to economical reasons (mental health a factor I agree though) then we would be effectively consigning thousands to death...many who maybe would not die if we sustained things as they are for a longer period of time.

As you say the vaccine is the only long term solution but that's a long time away. I am concerned that when things plateau in terms of cases/deaths everyone will demand we go back to normal. Then it will just go back up again and we are back to square one. Surely we are better to play the long game for the sake of the economy longer term as much as the humane element? On-off shutdowns for 18 months probably would have a more catastrophic affect than an elongated one now I feel.

No one is right or wrong on this and whatever decisions are made by the Govt are going to be incredibly tough.

In the context of this situation, "you can't put a price on a life" is incredibly sentimental and naive.

Life is more important than a few lives.

There's no telling how many more we'd be consigning to death (and misery) anyway.

It is a hard position for the decision makers to be in but that's what they're paid to do and they have to be pragmatic.

Football is rightly bottom of the pile when it comes to priorities.

It's quite funny how many hours and days you've spent writing massive reports on forums for something you declare so incredibly unimportant!

Where would would you draw that line? Just Asking for a friend’s grandparents

How long would you keep the lockdown in place?

Just asking for the thousands of refugees and recipients of foreign aid who are without medicine, food or shelter due to the restrictions on movement in the west

What a lot of people on here haven’t grasped is that the lockdown and separation is NOT aimed at reducing the number of people who get the virus but at the number that get it at any one time. This reduces deaths by allowing the NHS to have sufficient resources to deal with those who are badly affected at the same time.

So once we have got over the peak infection rate to a point where the NHS can cope reasonably well then the lockdown restrictions will progressively be relaxed. People will continue to catch the virus but at an increasingly slower rate and those badly affected will have access to the care that they need.

So normality isn’t delayed until there are no cases, normality returns when our health system can comfortably cope with the number of severe cases that occur. At present this should be in a couple of months.

All of us, our parents and grandparents are probably going to catch this virus - nothing will stop that - and it will mutate and return. We just need to keep control of the numbers at any one time.

In the context of this situation, "you can't put a price on a life" is incredibly sentimental and naive.

Life is more important than a few lives.

There's no telling how many more we'd be consigning to death (and misery) anyway.

It is a hard position for the decision makers to be in but that's what they're paid to do and they have to be pragmatic.

It's quite funny how many hours and days you've spent writing massive reports on forums for something you declare so incredibly unimportant!

Not sure what me writing match reports has got to do with anything?

What's happening at the moment has never happened in most of our lifetimes.

It's not important at the moment and is not when it comes to family stuff. I write reports the same way as you, I and others come onto forums or the internet as we love football. Its a hobby and maybe more than that I accept. But at the moment it's all inconsequential.

Going to watch it and writing about it is one thing. Prioritising it over family stuff and the nhs needs at the moment is totally different. This desire and discussion about games going ahead again any time is somewhat unimportant. Although kind of negates me discussing it I suppose!

Football is not coming back for a long time. Just shocked people are seriously expecting it to be back anytime soon. The talk of May-June-July is folly

It's time we stooped asking when will footy get going and ask when will Britain get going again, this virus transcends football and we have to get it beaten. As for this season I'd take the average of points earned this far and add them on for remaining games, that sorts out final positions.

What a lot of people on here haven’t grasped is that the lockdown and separation is NOT aimed at reducing the number of people who get the virus but at the number that get it at any one time. This reduces deaths by allowing the NHS to have sufficient resources to deal with those who are badly affected at the same time.

So once we have got over the peak infection rate to a point where the NHS can cope reasonably well then the lockdown restrictions will progressively be relaxed. People will continue to catch the virus but at an increasingly slower rate and those badly affected will have access to the care that they need.

So normality isn’t delayed until there are no cases, normality returns when our health system can comfortably cope with the number of severe cases that occur. At present this should be in a couple of months.

All of us, our parents and grandparents are probably going to catch this virus - nothing will stop that - and it will mutate and return. We just need to keep control of the numbers at any one time.

I think you are right hence the two bigger lockdowns I feel may happen with restrictions lessened and tightened over a period of time.

Going back to the OT 'When will football come back?' going by the 'slowing down but people will still catch it theory which is correct' then how can football come back as surely the moment any one from officIsls/players gets it...the incredibly contagious aspect means that's a whole league shut down for 2-3 weeks.

It's unworkable to keep shutting matches down for every few weeks across whole leagues every time someone catches it. No one seems to have discussed this much when they talk about coming back under closed doors.

Hence why I can't see Football starting properly till 2021-22 season when hopefully a vaccine has been found, tested and available to the masses.

I think you are right hence the two bigger lockdowns I feel may happen with restrictions lessened and tightened over a period of time.

Going back to the OT 'When will football come back?' going by the 'slowing down but people will still catch it theory which is correct' then how can football come back as surely the moment any one from officIsls/players gets it...the incredibly contagious aspect means that's a whole league shut down for 2-3 weeks.

It's unworkable to keep shutting matches down for every few weeks across whole leagues every time someone catches it. No one seems to have discussed this much when they talk about coming back under closed doors.

Hence why I can't see Football starting properly till 2021-22 season when hopefully a vaccine has been found, tested and available to the masses.

If that’s the case, football will just be played behind closed doors. I am 100% certain professional football will be played long before the 2021/22 season.

If that’s the case, football will just be played behind closed doors. I am 100% certain professional football will be played long before the 2021/22 season.

..but thats my point even behind closed doors, players have to mix, interact, go near other. Same in training. The probability of someone getting it still quite high from so many teams/officials. Then when they have - others have to self isolate - so it only takes one player/officials and thats it the whole league is suspended again - you cant play some games as some teams are ok and cancel others?

It is unworkable. The notion that people will still get it when we come out of isolation is 100% correct and the moment they do, those around or have been near them may have got it and have to self isolate. How long does this go on for in terms of operating football matches?

..but thats my point even behind closed doors, players have to mix, interact, go near other. Same in training. The probability of someone getting it still quite high from so many teams/officials. Then when they have - others have to self isolate - so it only takes one player/officials and thats it the whole league is suspended again - you cant play some games as some teams are ok and cancel others?

It is unworkable. The notion that people will still get it when we come out of isolation is 100% correct and the moment they do, those around or have been near them may have got it and have to self isolate. How long does this go on for in terms of operating football matches?

What if no players or staff get it? We’ll never end lockdown if we’re constantly looking at the negatives and what could but might not happen.

How are football clubs going to survive with zero income? The government can’t support businesses indefinitely. The Premier League TV money could help support clubs further down the pyramid who can’t play matches.

Also the tax generated by the Premier League will come in handy right now.

What if no players or staff get it? We’ll never end lockdown if we’re constantly looking at the negatives and what could but might not happen.

How are football clubs going to survive with zero income? The government can’t support businesses indefinitely. The Premier League TV money could help support clubs further down the pyramid who can’t play matches.

Also the tax generated by the Premier League will come in handy right now.

The problem is teams will use it also...lets say they try and restart the games...then West Ham or Villa say one of their players has symptoms (could be real/could be tactical)...then what?.... This week, 8 West Ham players have mild symptoms for instance. The teams at the bottom will do all they can to void the season even unscrupulous means I feel.

The Club has already been told by the Premier League the date to aim for in order to conclude the season (and I'm not talking about 30th April).

All games behind closed doors to be televised, sat, wed, sat, wed, sat, wed and so on.

Whether that's practical or not remains to be seen, IMO it isn't.

I wonder how the players have been affected not only physically but more importantly mentally.

However, as others have said, lets just get through all this s*** first, because its going to get a lot worse before its get better.

Back
Top Bottom