Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

"How to improve a Peace Garden" - by Sheffield City Council.
If you look carefully, you'll see it actually is "improving the Peace Gardens". These are the foundations of what we have now, just before the eggbox was demolished. Not all progress is bad (even in Sheffield), and I don't think anyone could argue that what we had before was better. I do think we should have a replica 60's Goodwin fountain at the top of Fargate though!

Still wear Pod.

I've just been looking on internet and you can still get Pod Heritage Mens Jagger on line in Navy, Burgundy and White identical to the ones I wore £100 but you can't put a price on comfort. Trying to find a stockist in Ireland though.

In dressing room

SU-037-8x6-PHOTO-SHEFF-UNITED-1958.jpg
Finney, Hagan and Matthews. The Holy Trinity?

Peace Gardens late 50s. A simpler space than now

View attachment 46704
The Cortina mk1 came out in 1962, the D series (tipper lorry) in 1965, the town hall "egg box" was started in 1976, so it's between 65 & 76, if you assume that the D series was a couple of years old, & consider the lack of any newer vehicles, that puts the photo at about1967.

'Public outcry' - bloody hell, you'd think they had more to moan about as they trudged through the grey tundra that was the fifties, meat was still rationed in 1952 for a start.
Different times, people actually took pride in their city & councils had to take notice of the electorate.

Platform A. The four seasons cafe with noisy coffee maker. Pond Street Nora accusing everyone of being “fuckin homos”. “Your’e oreight you-hoo”.

The John Menzies kiosk- “ the threpenny bit” where first dates were met, or not? How many more number 41 buses from Hackenthorpe can there be before she turns up?

A sneck-lifter in the Penny Black before an assault on the Claymore and Mulberry tavern. A trip down the Craizy Daisy.

Three Tuns, Golden Ball, Museum, Stonehouse, Buccaner, Wapentake, Nelson, then onto the Penny Farthiing (later Scamps). A shivering snog at the bus stop, No mobile phones! No headphones! A burger at Vera’s van. A black cab home at clock and a half Work the next morning after 3 hours sleep.

It all started on platform A.
It did indeed, your summary is a beautiful recollection of a much simpler and uncomplicated life from (much better?) times gone by.

I found this...

hagan_testimonial_500.jpg

And wondered if any old boys on here went to this game?

It's before my time, sadly. I would have loved to see him play. I wonder if there's any footage of him anywhere? I may have a trawl of the web to see if I can find some.

I also found this article which is by Jimmy Hagan's brother, Colin. I found it really interesting - there's several tabs to click through telling Jimmy's story.

http://www.raggyspelk.co.uk/washington_pages/selections3/jimmy_hagan.html
As one of the 'old boys on here', I am proud to say that I was at that game and have a copy of the programme. I am, however, ashamed to admit that I have no memory of it whatsoever. :mad: And that is despite the fact that Trautmann played, and he was one of my favourite non-Blades players. Completing the 1956 Cup Final with a broken neck for much of the second-half was the stuff of comic book heroes (or, perhaps, Monty Python sketches).

Harbord Road off Abbey Lane ?

Yes, off Abbey Lane next to the school.

The milk cart is outside the house we bought when we married 1975 for £5400. Ironically I was a milkman at the time. My wages were insufficient to get a mortgage so the dairy manager Mr Croydon filled in the mortgage application, giving a figure to cover the income required knowing that, like most milkmen, we earned plenty of cash doing our afternoon jobs.

Back
Top Bottom