Best tricks from blades players?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mumbo

Reaction score
Bob Hatton regularly used his bum to bring the ball under control to the amusement of the faithful(15,000 was a good crowd in them days)
He also did a beautiful turn at the byline that left many a defender scratching thier heads and the Kop singing
‘There’s only one Bobby Hatton”

Bob Hatton regularly used his bum to bring the ball under control to the amusement of the faithful(15,000 was a good crowd in them days)
He also did a beautiful turn at the byline that left many a defender scratching thier heads and the Kop singing
‘There’s only one Bobby Hatton”
Very good player was Bob. Worked well with Edwards and Morris. Great player for Brum too before that.

Dodgy Mexican moustache though!

Let’s not forget Darius Henderson’s chest in all this.

He was the best “Chester” of a ball I’ve ever seen.

Shame about his legs and head though!

Billy Dearden used to somehow regularly end up with the ball on the top of his head and run with it for 10 or 15 yards.
No idea how this used to keep happening but it did.

The other Dearden move I liked was when he was faced with a big defender stood square in front of him, Billy would dummy to the left, then dummy to the right, the defender would just stand there and then Billy would run straight into him, fall over and win a free kick.

The look on the defenders face was always a delight to watch :)

Devlin had a few tricks in his locker. Pretty sure I remember a cracking Cruyff turn against Huddersfield once.

Sure I remember Nuddy keeping the ball in, standing on the line facing inwards and bringing his foot up behind his head. Maybe twice. But I was young so I could be wrong.

I remember that. Was against Crewe or Stockport.

Sure I remember Nuddy keeping the ball in, standing on the line facing inwards and bringing his foot up behind his head. Maybe twice. But I was young so I could be wrong.

Aye, I remember that.

I like John Fleck's merry-go-round trick, where he holds off three or so defenders for an age while barely moving an inch, just going round in a circle. He'll always somehow end up goal side of all three of them, and then just set off. The great Xavi was similarly good at this.

Hagan back heeling the ball over his own head and running past the bemused defender in front of him.

Slightly before my time, but I have heard the same story from three separate old Blades.

Now that was Magic

Yes , I was one of the ancients who reported that one and it happened right in front of me when I was on the John Street terrace .

Shit ball to him from Tommy Hoyland 18 inches off the ground and behind him on a muddy pitch . The great man simply checked his stride , back heeled it over his own head and that of the onrushing thug of a full back , ran round him and collected the ball as it dropped and carried on as if nothing had happened .

The fact that I can still clearly picture it in my mind over 60 years later shows just how magical it was .

Let’s not forget Darius Henderson’s chest in all this.

He was the best “Chester” of a ball I’ve ever seen.

Shame about his legs and head though!

I thought Ashley Ward was pretty good with his chest as well. He used to hold his arms out as he brought the ball under control with his chest, so he looked as though he had handled the it (but hadn't). He also didn't seem to be good in the air, particularly for a man of his size.

Yes , I was one of the ancients who reported that one and it happened right in front of me when I was on the John Street terrace .

Shit ball to him from Tommy Hoyland 18 inches off the ground and behind him on a muddy pitch . The great man simply checked his stride , back heeled it over his own head and that of the onrushing thug of a full back , ran round him and collected the ball as it dropped and carried on as if nothing had happened .

The fact that I can still clearly picture it in my mind over 60 years later shows just how magical it was .

Wow.

Bashambauers 360 against Southampton in the League Cup was the best moment on any football pitch ever....

...until John Lundstram's tackle on Jack Grealish. Now that was magic.
I thought it was Charlton?
What about Saunders classic or cresswells cheek?
A mention for deanos 2 weird flicked goals!

I thought Ashley Ward was pretty good with his chest as well. He used to hold his arms out as he brought the ball under control with his chest, so he looked as though he had handled the it (but hadn't). He also didn't seem to be good in the air, particularly for a man of his size.

Alan Quinn would often pass the ball with his chest.

I remember top striker Anthony Stokes taking out someone walking up the kop steps on the back of the head with unerring accuracy during the pre-match shooting practice. One of the funniest things I've seen at a match as they did a slow motion stutter forward, apologies if it was you :) It was actually about 2/3rds of the way up which showed what skill the man possessed :)

Back
Top Bottom