Best tricks from blades players?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Chris Morgan’s upper cut to the rib cage of Robin Van Perse was a joy to behold

The Keith Edwards “Pele” goal against Bristol Rovers.

Edwards runs onto a through ball and the goalie and defender both race to intercept it.

Edwards then ignores the ball and continues running instead. This completely fools the defender and goalie who expected him to take a touch and they are left stranded as the ball passes between them.

Edwards is left with a simple tap-in while simultaneously waving to The Kop.

A bit like this one but Edwards scored (and waved):-

Last edited:
Kozzy was pretty good at hitting people drinking Bovril in the Kop.

"Bovril, mate?"
"Yeah, cheers."
"Oooh. That's nice."
"Hang on. We're on the attack here ... "

SMACK!

pommpey

Deano had brilliant control for a big man. I remember a 4th round cup replay at home to Charlton in 1992. It was one of those drizzly February nights so the pitch would have been quite greasy. Our keeper sent a kick upfield but it was heading towards the touchline on the South Stand side, Deano sprinted to the touchline, whilst being marked, then in one movement, trapped the ball with his back to goal, whilst flicking it behind him along the touchline, he then spun round, ran round the back of the defender and collected the ball, leaving the defender trailing in his wake.

As was customary at the time, he then sent in a beautiful cross but unfortunately he couldn't get on the end of it to head it in.

A couple I remember...

Brian Deane's flicks from throwins into the far corner of the net, a skill I still can't fathom out to this day.

Franz Carr has this incredible skill where he'd leave a player for dead...then he'd go back to take him on again and again....

Before losing it.

Edwards runs onto a through ball and the goalie and defender both race to intercept it.

Edwards then ignores the ball and continues running instead. This completely fools the defender and goalie who expected him to take a touch and they are left stranded as the ball passes between them.

I might be wrong here but wasn't that the goal that completed his hat trick? If so I remember reading the report the following day and the reporter describes his first two in detail and then went on to say " his third was a simple tap in " !

Talk about not understanding the game!

That goal is one of Edwards that stands out in my memory.

Bob Hatton regularly used his bum to bring the ball under control to the amusement of the faithful(15,000 was a good crowd in them days)
He also did a beautiful turn at the byline that left many a defender scratching thier heads and the Kop singing
‘There’s only one Bobby Hatton”

Indeed he did - it was all with his left foot too.

Standing on the kop it was easy to see how he did it. He generally did it in the box and near to the bye line to create space for himself.

Rolled his left foot over the ball and turned through 180 degrees and taking the ball with him - it used to bamboozle defenders.

Thanks for the memory :)

UTB

I was a kid and after the match my and May mate used to meet his dad (RIP) who stood at the front of the kop and used to give us a lift home. He told us to remember that goal because we wouldn’t see many like that in our lifetimes. He was right.

While not really a "trick", I used to like James Beattie's penalty taking technique. Ref blows the whistle and points to the spot, Beattie picks up the ball and walks and stands over the spot, ball in his hands, staring straight into the keepers eyes, like a wild west gun fighter, continues to do it while the ref pushes away disgruntled opposition players, just staring out the keeper.

Ref blows the whistle again, Beattie puts the ball on the spot, immediatly turns around and walks away from the spot, a good few paces, turns around and sprints at the ball and hits it like a missile into the net, hey presto, SUFC score (again).

Did he ever miss a penalty for us?

While not really a "trick", I used to like James Beattie's penalty taking technique. Ref blows the whistle and points to the spot, Beattie picks up the ball and walks and stands over the spot, ball in his hands, staring straight into the keepers eyes, like a wild west gun fighter, continues to do it while the ref pushes away disgruntled opposition players, just staring out the keeper.

Ref blows the whistle again, Beattie puts the ball on the spot, immediatly turns around and walks away from the spot, a good few paces, turns around and sprints at the ball and hits it like a missile into the net, hey presto, SUFC score (again).

Did he ever miss a penalty for us?
Yes v Blackpool

I might be wrong here but wasn't that the goal that completed his hat trick? If so I remember reading the report the following day and the reporter describes his first two in detail and then went on to say " his third was a simple tap in " !

Talk about not understanding the game!

That goal is one of Edwards that stands out in my memory.
Scored two that day

The routine between Tonge, Brown and co, a free kick feint, a turn away in fake exasperation, someone else then hits it.
Nearly scored v Forest in semi of playoffs using that.

Sure I remember Nuddy keeping the ball in, standing on the line facing inwards and bringing his foot up behind his head. Maybe twice. But I was young so I could be wrong.
I remember that, can’t remember who it was against, but was in front of south stand in their half, want to say it was someone like Cardiff?

I remember that, can’t remember who it was against, but was in front of south stand in their half, want to say it was someone like Cardiff?

I sit in the south stand behind the dugouts so makes sense I can remember it so vividly

Back
Top Bottom