Best tricks from blades players?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woody's amazing corner trick.
Now you see it .... Now it's in the net ...
Did you see it Shilts? Wanna see it again?

Remember that, Woody scored direct from a corner away at Filbert St and Shilton said in the paper that it was a fluke. Return game at the Lane and Woody did it again. :)

Remember that, Woody scored direct from a corner away at Filbert St and Shilton said in the paper that it was a fluke. Return game at the Lane and Woody did it again. :)
No, he has scored 4 times direct from a corner.

v Newcastle (h) in the League Cup in Sept 1969
index.php

v Leicester (a) in Sept 1971 as you mentioned against Shilton but it didnt happen in the return game (drew 1-1, Dearden getting our equaliser despite using his hand leading to the goal)
v Coventry (h) Nov 1971.
v Norwich (h) January 1973

index.php

v Leicester (a) in Sept 1971 as you mentioned against Shilton but it didnt happen in the return game (drew 1-1, Dearden getting our equaliser despite using his hand leading to the goal)
v Coventry (h) Nov 1971.

No idea whether that is even true but hats off to Silent Blade .

A mere 14 minutes to invent some matches and post it, is worth a like alone.
The fact that they were all in the 60s and 70s when many on here weren't even a twinkle in their embryo parent's eyes, is why you'll never get caught out.

You sly old fox, you!

No idea whether that is even true but hats off to Silent Blade .

A mere 14 minutes to invent some matches and post it, is worth a like alone.
The fact that they were all in the 60s and 70s when many on here weren't even a twinkle in their embryo parent's eyes, is why you'll never get caught out.

You sly old fox, you!
This link is helpful. The only one of the four goals direct from corner from Woody I had missed was the first one (v Newcastle) as it was before I started being a Lane regular.

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/alan-woodwards-goals-and-assists.40133/

This link is helpful. The only one of the four goals direct from corner from Woody was the first one (v Newcastle) as it was before I started being a Lane regular.

I've had to give the bugger another like as he's even making up links now!

Top drawer bullshit Silent Blade and keep on keeping on!

How about Duffy's bounce killer which had a trick or 2 in it, or Schoolboy Looks' nutmeg?

Surely both are not part of Blade folklore?

Fair point . It's all very well waxing lyrical about moments of magic from the past ( which , you may have noticed I'm not averse to myself ) but those two examples have to be right up there with some of the best .

So good that Maradona himself would have been proud of the first and Cruyff equally proud of the second . Had they been the exponents of those outstanding pieces of skill , they would be shown endlessly as examples of their genius .

Kozzy was pretty good at hitting people drinking Bovril in the Kop.

"Bovril, mate?"
"Yeah, cheers."
"Oooh. That's nice."
"Hang on. We're on the attack here ... "

SMACK!

pommpey
As per Trinidad and Tobago nightclub chat. Years ago now. That time he put the ball in the kop twice to get Adrian Heath the sack. Good move for us!

index.php

v Coventry (h) Nov 1971.

My memory is fading now, but I think in the Norwich match the other goal was scored by John Flynn, who headed in another inswinging corner from Woody. He was only about a yard from the goal line and I think it would have gone in anyway if Flynny hadn't touched it. The Norwich keeper was Kevin Keelan, who stood just outside the six yard box, so had no chance of stopping the Woody special.. Whem he was beaten the second time he lost his temper and tried to pick a fight with 2 or 3 of our players and I think he ended up with a booking.

Monty's ability to always make his 2nd touch into a 50:50 tackle is the best I've had the pleasure of seeing.

Michael Doyle's amazing pointing and shouting skills are in 2nd place.

Dean Hammond's stealth camouflage is in 3rd.

Ahem, surely Squinny's flicks deserve a slot in your hall of fame. Especially the one where his overhead flick hit him in the face.

Doc Pace in the 60's crawling about on his hands & knees in the penalty area trying to head the ball!

Dean Hammond inserting a clause into his contract that him and him alone could trigger the option of a further years salary. My piss what bubbling and boiling at the gall, front and utter contempt that the fucking prick showed.

To outsiders who don't know just how shit Dean Hammond was:

If he'dve stayed at Leicester that season they wouldn't have won the Prem.

In fact they'd be relegated :eek:

Brooksy’s nutmegs, I used to love them. But we sold him, so I won’t see them anymore :(

Stephen Quinn's free kick trick with Beattie. Remember that one?

Free kick given to us, near the box, in front of the Kop. Quinn stands at the side of the ball, as if steadying it. James Beattie (think it was Beattie), paces back as if getting ready to run up and kick it, shouting at the lads, pointing to where they should be stood in the box. Ref blows his whistle, all eyes (fans, players, keeper) on Beattie, Quinn chips the ball over into the top corner of the net.

Yes, J C-R had a fabulous right foot. So fabulous, Adkins moved him to the left...

Anyway, tricks. Alex Sabella was taking a corner at the kop end and liked to bend the flag over so he could curl his body round. One match, he did this and the ref. - looking like one you used to see in Harlem Globetrotters games - ran over, blowing his whistle, all faux outrage. Alex, hands behind his back, head bowed and all dago contrition apologised and moved the flag back to vertical. The ref. ran back to take up his position for the corner and Alex bent over to re-position the ball. As he did this, he made sure he used his arse tobend the flag over!

And...

As the commentator said 'I hope it's worth the wait here.' You fuckin' betcha it was!

This link is helpful. The only one of the four goals direct from corner from Woody I had missed was the first one (v Newcastle) as it was before I started being a Lane regular.

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/alan-woodwards-goals-and-assists.40133/
Remember the one Woody scored with his head? Alan Woodward did not head footballs. Against Southampton just before Christmas, ball from
around centre circle to right hand edge of the box BL end. Goalie makes an attempt to challenge but Woody is onto it, diving full length heading it through goalies legs. I maintain to this day that the great man tripped and the ball hit his head. Woody didn't head footballs.
We won 4 - 2.
That is how I remember it, please tell me it's correct.
(Bet it wo Dearden)

Remember the one Woody scored with his head? Alan Woodward did not head footballs. Against Southampton just before Christmas, ball from
around centre circle to right hand edge of the box BL end. Goalie makes an attempt to challenge but Woody is onto it, diving full length heading it through goalies legs. I maintain to this day that the great man tripped and the ball hit his head. Woody didn't head footballs.
We won 4 - 2.
That is how I remember it, please tell me it's correct.
(Bet it wo Dearden)
Yes he scored with a diving header. It was the second of his three goals that day. It was at the Lane End

Yes he scored with a diving header. It was the second of his three goals that day. It was at the Lane End
Many thanks for that Silent. Think that the attendance wasn't so good due to "christmas shopping".
Oh for goodness sake !
UTB

Monty's ability to always make his 2nd touch into a 50:50 tackle is the best I've had the pleasure of seeing.

Michael Doyle's amazing pointing and shouting skills are in 2nd place.

Dean Hammond's stealth camouflage is in 3rd.
I'm sorry but Doyle's pointing skills are equivalent to monties passing when compared to the Messi of shouty pointing...... James harper!

Devlin had a few tricks in his locker. Pretty sure I remember a cracking Cruyff turn against Huddersfield once.

He seems to be largely forgotten now by our faithful which I think is a shame). He was unfortunate to not play for a decent Blades team when he was at his best. OK, he didn't leave in the best of circumstances but he cost us very little and gave 100% and a lot of creativity. He's one of my all time favourite Blades and is in my best team 11 also, but I think I'm largely on my own here?!

Back
Top Bottom