Pre-Season 17/18 Hallam FC v. Sheffield United XI - 01/08/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm all for giving you the benefit of the doubt but your post seemed to me that you was implying what sort of player you thought Thomas was going to be like, just read it back mate.

Sos, I said "from your report". Sounded like from the report that he got there but wasted chances.It was mentioned two or three times. I wasn't there. Had I been and seen what was reported I might have the same opinion that he seemed to have the ability to get in position but didn't have the class to finish. However I wasn't privy to the finer points which were that he (to some reporters) looked on occasion to be a good player. As said, from my reaction (possibly too tongue in cheek), having missed from 2 yards, he wasn't proving to be a world beater. From the report he has some work to do, but seems to have promise.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am perfectly capable of criticising our players both reasonably in my opinion and unreasonably in others opinion. However, it is an opinion. Opinions can be changed by persuasion and/or observation. On this occasion I asked for an observers opinion to clarify/confirm my impression from a report.

Nick Cox was there tonight, also a number of young uns who I'm assuming are around for the Youdan Cup. He'll already know far more about Brooks than he'd have learned from. Being in attendance tonight, due to his previous role and contacts at the Lane.

Lets hope we see one in the other direction, rather than them taking one of ours.

Yes saw a posse of man utd staff and also a man in an Everton coat. As you say a lot up for the Youdan trophy. Brooks will have just shown what most already knew. Lovely touch, control, dribbling and such poise

I figured you'd have twitterverse covered so focused on satisfying your loyal forum ites.:)

My post was actually in another thread before I merged them. :)

Finished 3-1. Let you know what my supper was like

Bag of chips on way home.

Interestingly I got bus up with the lad so i could have a few beers. After game had a wander up sandygate, towards redmires lane to get bus back into town. Stood opposite Claremont hospital and bizarrely John Brayford walked past alone in his tracksuit. Does he live up that way?

Was on his phone. I could not hear what he was saying properly but I can guess it went something like... '...Yeah I was only senior player he left on; took all the rest off...yeah he's not give me a squad number either...and if things cant get any worse now some weirdo is taking my picture...come on Nige rescue me!'

Attachments

• 20170801_215329-1.jpg
    20170801_215329-1.jpg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Rumours for Saturday v Brentford given tonight's starting XI.
No one shouting pick me, pick me.
Below par Brooks.
Banging Abbeydale/BrewDog Sheffield Collab.
My Goalkeeping decision.
The Blog

http://ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/rumours-are-rife.html

Yes, let's have a complete novice in goal for the first game, even though the manager has now signed his cover keeper for Simon Moore.

This Bladey Boyband X-Factor Givemallarun Brigade.

Sometimes I despair...

Yes, let's have a complete novice in goal for the first game, even though the manager has now signed his cover keeper for Simon Moore.

This Bladey Boyband X-Factor Givemallarun Brigade.

Sometimes I despair...
I share you despair. There are quite a few who think giving Academy players a run is more important than success in the league

I share you despair. There are quite a few who think giving Academy players a run is more important than success in the league

And it doesn't really do us any favours, 'let's put our young up and comings out in the shop window before they're ready' - always ends up in our assets being sold before we have the chance to get a decent season or fee out of them

Absolutely. Personally I support Sheffield United, my club. I wonder what their allegiance is?

I want to see the best possible players deploying their skills to achieve success for our club. Be they from the Academy or Antarctica. They're all "one of our own" (horrible phrase that it is) for me when they pull on the red and white.

There seems to be an absurd minority viewpoint that United are some sort of football X-Factor where every young tyro has to "given a chance".

I repeat yet again. Young (and old and in between) players are here to serve and benefit our club; not the other way round. "Game time" (horrible phrase that it is) has to be earned by excellence at lower levels. Display that and the "game time" will inevitably follow, but there's no automatic right to a run (daft word that it is).

I'm not sure how often this obvious common sense has to be re-stated before it penetrates the granite skulls amongst us.

Personally I felt there were a couple of decent performances tonight. The majority of our attacking play came through Brooks, who made quite a lot of bad decisions but showed great movement and close control. I like the look of Lundstrum, I'm not sure I agree with the Coutts comparison; he's much more aggressive than Coutts and a little more direct. I've heard comparisons to a certain Dean Hammond, but I'm hoping he'll be a more Physical Kevin McDonald.
Thomas showed some possitive touches but looks really raw; at least he is still young and brings some pace (despite looking about 40).

My biggest grumble is at Brayford, shocking performance. I know he wants a move but still show something for the club that's paying your wages. Overall though an entertaining enough evening for a fiver.

You never did answer my question "seen it all and done it all"

What have you seen and done?

Feel sorry for the guy, yiu spend your vast majority of waking hours at work and if you not enjoying your work you ain't enjoying your life. At least however he can console himself with the vast amount of money he is earning unlike others on production lines etc.
Wilder has obviously told him it is the circumstances of VFM which warrant his leaving. I can see him going on a free if someone picks up the rabbon the last year of his contract. If he were on a salary commensurate with the rest of the squad his value would be £500-£750k. Utd obviously sitting tight hoping others come in to force Burton to increase their offer.
Done is a different proposition in my opinion, paying him too much and he is not likely to get a place as there are too many ahead of him

Pinchy

Hi mate
Given that your first intervention on this thread was "in response" to my post, I thought I'd just say I have no real problem with my allegiance being questioned, that is the way it goes on Social Media. But, of course, people are going to bristle if their allegiance is called into doubt. So, I'm bristling.
I like to see myself as a "goes to games" Blade. I guess I broadly understand the Bladey Boybander dig. Although I'll confess to not knowing the difference between a Blade & a Bladey.
Anyway - I thought I'd just defend myself a bit. I'm off to a game now. You know. To show my allegiance and all that.

My 2 penneth,

Dewhurst- not a lot to do
Bennett-Average, should have scored at least 2, better as game went on.
Brayford- Lacklustre at best, slightly better second half, waiting for that Clough call.
Wright- Excellent attitude and performance, & I`ve seen him score now!
Wallace-Did well, needs first team football somewhere.
Lafferty-Poor first half, stepped it up 2nd, possibly after a ht dressing room visit from Wilder.
Lundstrum-Better than Eastleigh, can pick a pass, just one long ball that let him down, reminds me of McDonald.
Gilmour-Did ok, can play better, tendancy to give it away cheaply.
Brooks-Flitted in & out, better as it went on, Man Utd scouts there, and they wouldn`t be watching Wallace!
Thomas-Best player on the night, played with purpose and tempo all night, not afraid to shoot, got a hammer of a left foot, just needs to add a touch of composure, and we`ll have a player. Couple of assists for him too.
Lavery-Attitude great from the off, works hard, scores 1 from every 4 chances!

Team bucked up in the second half, and when Slater came on, Parkhouse, Graham, Smith, Cantrill & Norrington-Davies also got run outs, although Tyler picked up a knock and was subbed.

Brayford is rumoured to be on £10k+

If burton are offering 4/5k. That means we have to pay £5k plus a week for him not to play.

Lenihan I imagine will cost £5k plus with a fee but it doesn't look like we are getting him.

All in all makes sense to keep him for now unless someone comes and takes a higher percentage of his wages over.

My 2 penneth,

Dewhurst- not a lot to do
Bennett-Average, should have scored at least 2, better as game went on.
Brayford- Lacklustre at best, slightly better second half, waiting for that Clough call.
Wright- Excellent attitude and performance, & I`ve seen him score now!
Wallace-Did well, needs first team football somewhere.
Lafferty-Poor first half, stepped it up 2nd, possibly after a ht dressing room visit from Wilder.
Lundstrum-Better than Eastleigh, can pick a pass, just one long ball that let him down, reminds me of McDonald.
Gilmour-Did ok, can play better, tendancy to give it away cheaply.
Brooks-Flitted in & out, better as it went on, Man Utd scouts there, and they wouldn`t be watching Wallace!
Thomas-Best player on the night, played with purpose and tempo all night, not afraid to shoot, got a hammer of a left foot, just needs to add a touch of composure, and we`ll have a player. Couple of assists for him too.
Lavery-Attitude great from the off, works hard, scores 1 from every 4 chances!

Team bucked up in the second half, and when Slater came on, Parkhouse, Graham, Smith, Cantrill & Norrington-Davies also got run outs, although Tyler picked up a knock and was subbed.

The problem for me with Brayford, is that we all know he can play better than he did last night. It's not like he wasn't running and putting the effort in, he was simply really sloppy with play, poor passes straight to the opposition.

Is Hanson injured?, that game would have been tailor made for him, when they packed the box out, he would have been head and shoulders (literally) above everyone else, for the headers.

Was a bit of a worry when Lavery went down, I think everyone in the ground heard the noise of that football boot hitting his shin.

seanbeenstattoo

The reality is The Plough has failed. It hasn't been supported by the community that now see it as a community asset. A very common occurrence in areas like this.

As Grappler says, it was run down by Enterprise who presumably had an understanding with Sainsburys and just wanted to present a 'failed pub' to avoid any planning issues. In addition to the lack of food, wifi and card machine the disabled bog was broken and the ladies toilets disgusting (apparently). The pub was filthy and needed some basic TLC to get it to near the standard of the competition. Holes in the front door and side windows do not encourage the folk of S10 in.

Our share issue has now had £99k of pledges, most of which are at the £250 level so nearly 400 people are prepared to put their hand in their pocket for a decent community pub. I think you may have called it wrong here.

Frankly countless far more important pubs in Sheffield have gone than this gaff.

You didn't respond so here are some of the reasons why we think it is a unique pub and important in football history:

1695 - the Plough opens as a public house and its title deeds include land associated with sporting activities and agricultural shows

1795 - the Hallamshire Enclosure Act recognises a cricket field owned by the Plough

1804 - Hallam Cricket Club reach an agreement with Mr. Creswick, landlord of the Plough, to use the pub and its outbuildings as a committee room and changing rooms

1860 - Hallam and Stumperlowe cricket teams meet at the Plough to form Hallam Football Club

1860 Boxing Day - the Sheffield Rules Derby is played at Sandygate between Hallam FC and Sheffield FC According to many sports historians, this match was the start of the UK's tradition of Boxing Day being a major date in the calendars of many sports especially football:

1860-1880 - The early days of football were dominated by the power struggle between 'London Rules' and 'Sheffield Rules' - the Plough hosted many committee meetings where the 'rules' were discussed. Sheffield introduced corners, throw-ins, fixed goalkeepers and heading the ball into the modern rules of the game. Sheffield rules were finalised in the Adelphi Hotel in town which sadly no longer exists.

1867 - Hallam FC win football's first ever tournament, the Youdan Cup, with the final being played at Bramall Lane on Shrove Tuesday. Hallam's players were presented with the cup at a celebratory dinner held at the Plough.

1876 - Local cricketer,Tom Armitage tours Australia with the 'Lilywhites' in the first ever test matches between England and Australia. In 1878, using the money he earned from the Australia tour, Tom Armitage buys the Plough and remained landlord for many years. Armitage later emigrated to the USA as a professional cricketer and he remains the only player in the history of cricket to have played for both England and the USA.

1929 - the Plough is rebuilt by local architect Wynyard Dixon (who's family donated the land to build the South Barnlsey sty).

1981 - during a refurbishment of the Plough, the 1879 Skelton Cup is recovered and returned to Hallam FC

Not directly related to the pub, but England cricket captains, Joe Root and Michael Vaughn have both played at Sandygate. A few of the famous players who have played football at Sandygate Road include Emlyn Hughes, Tony Currie, Chris Waddle, David Hirst, Peter Lorimer, Dean Saunders, Imre Varadi and current Sheffield United Manager, Chris Wilder.

So can you list some of the other 'more important pubs'?

seanbeenstattoo

As Grappler says, it was run down by Enterprise who presumably had an understanding with Sainsburys and just wanted to present a 'failed pub' to avoid any planning issues. In addition to the lack of food, wifi and card machine the disabled bog was broken and the ladies toilets disgusting (apparently). The pub was filthy and needed some basic TLC to get it to near the standard of the competition. Holes in the front door and side windows do not encourage the folk of S10 in.

Our share issue has now had £99k of pledges, most of which are at the £250 level so nearly 400 people are prepared to put their hand in their pocket for a decent community pub. I think you may have called it wrong here.

You didn't respond so here are some of the reasons why we think it is a unique pub and important in football history:

1695 - the Plough opens as a public house and its title deeds include land associated with sporting activities and agricultural shows

1795 - the Hallamshire Enclosure Act recognises a cricket field owned by the Plough

1804 - Hallam Cricket Club reach an agreement with Mr. Creswick, landlord of the Plough, to use the pub and its outbuildings as a committee room and changing rooms

1860 - Hallam and Stumperlowe cricket teams meet at the Plough to form Hallam Football Club

1860 Boxing Day - the Sheffield Rules Derby is played at Sandygate between Hallam FC and Sheffield FC According to many sports historians, this match was the start of the UK's tradition of Boxing Day being a major date in the calendars of many sports especially football:

1860-1880 - The early days of football were dominated by the power struggle between 'London Rules' and 'Sheffield Rules' - the Plough hosted many committee meetings where the 'rules' were discussed. Sheffield introduced corners, throw-ins, fixed goalkeepers and heading the ball into the modern rules of the game. Sheffield rules were finalised in the Adelphi Hotel in town which sadly no longer exists.

1867 - Hallam FC win football's first ever tournament, the Youdan Cup, with the final being played at Bramall Lane on Shrove Tuesday. Hallam's players were presented with the cup at a celebratory dinner held at the Plough.

1876 - Local cricketer,Tom Armitage tours Australia with the 'Lilywhites' in the first ever test matches between England and Australia. In 1878, using the money he earned from the Australia tour, Tom Armitage buys the Plough and remained landlord for many years. Armitage later emigrated to the USA as a professional cricketer and he remains the only player in the history of cricket to have played for both England and the USA.

1929 - the Plough is rebuilt by local architect Wynyard Dixon (who's family donated the land to build the South Barnlsey sty).

1981 - during a refurbishment of the Plough, the 1879 Skelton Cup is recovered and returned to Hallam FC

Not directly related to the pub, but England cricket captains, Joe Root and Michael Vaughn have both played at Sandygate. A few of the famous players who have played football at Sandygate Road include Emlyn Hughes, Tony Currie, Chris Waddle, David Hirst, Peter Lorimer, Dean Saunders, Imre Varadi and current Sheffield United Manager, Chris Wilder.

Any Weatherspoons, where the dole people can spend all their dole money and chat the same old shit along the way. :)

Why didnt the local community support the countless lessees that lost their shirts trying to make a living in the pub over many years?

Happens frequently doesn't it seanbeenstattoo ? Pub goes under, suddenly residents realise what they have lost and go gung-ho to bring back a social environment that their community suddenly realises they desperately need.

I think such schemes are great for the community but as you say, always after the event.

seanbeenstattoo

The club historian at Hallam FC (if you get the chance to meet him) is an interesting character whose head is full of obscure facts and figures relating to Hallam FC, football, cricket, local history (despite not being from Sheffield himself) and other things. He has a laptop PC which is simply full of scans of documents and newspaper cuttings, many of which mention the Plough as a place where various meetings took place (especially the early meetings between the London and Sheffield factions, to decide on rules).

Not related to football and Cricket, I am sure he also said that the worlds first organised "fell run", is the Hallam Chase, which still goes on today, created by a then-landlord of the Plough, many, many years ago, where the race started and finished at the Plough (running down from Crosspool/Sandygate to Rivelin valley, up the other side to Stannington and back).

Local breweries and landords have all tried to buy the Plough in recent years, and were all led a merry dance by Enterprise.

Happens frequently doesn't it seanbeenstattoo ? Pub goes under, suddenyl residents realise what they have lissed and go gung ho to bring back a social environment that their community suddenly realises they desperately need.

I think such schemes are great for the community but as you say, always after the event.

Only in this case, it didn't happen this way. Locals found out while the pub was still open. Set up a campaign group and did all the ground work to ensure that Enterprise and Sainsburys could not do anything under the radar. Held local meetings in Church halls, enlisted local councillors to get behind the scheme, etc.

I am not saying that it doesn't happen as you mention above, I am in saying that in this case, it wasn't like that. The pub was still open when the community decided to act.

The problem for me with Brayford, is that we all know he can play better than he did last night. It's not like he wasn't running and putting the effort in, he was simply really sloppy with play, poor passes straight to the opposition.

Is Hanson injured?, that game would have been tailor made for him, when they packed the box out, he would have been head and shoulders (literally) above everyone else, for the headers.

Was a bit of a worry when Lavery went down, I think everyone in the ground heard the noise of that football boot hitting his shin.

Hanson has been injured, but is now training.

Lavery never seems to get a run of games without picking up knocks, he was due an injury!

Only in this case, it didn't happen this way. Locals found out while the pub was still open. Set up a campaign group and did all the ground work to ensure that Enterprise and Sainsburys could not do anything under the radar. Held local meetings in Church halls, enlisted local councillors to get behind the scheme, etc.

I am not saying that it doesn't happen as you mention above, I am in saying that in this case, it wasn't like that. The pub was still open when the community decided to act.

Fair enough. I live in Leeds so never been there. If the locals knew the situation then, and did not shame on them, however, (i'm only up to page 3 on this thread :) ), if the place was badly run etc then you can't blame them for avoiding it.

Now Sheffield FC, there's a place I've been and how well-run is that club?

Back
Top Bottom