Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yep that's the one ..entrance is on Norfolk Road. Photo posted wasn't Shrewsbury Park was it?

5. Cholera Monument Grounds
Cholera came to Sheffield in July 1832, and over the course of around four months the waterborne disease claimed the lives of 402 people in the city. 339 of these victims are buried here, in a plot of land provided by the Duke of Norfolk. To reduce the spread of the disease, burials were hasty – and other than that of Master Cutler John Blake, the graves were left unmarked. Renowned 19th century poet James Montgomery laid the foundation stone for the neo-gothic pinnacle that commemorates the dead, while a cobbled artwork installed in 2004 honours them by name. This elevated open space commands a fine view of the city nestled between hills.

6. Shrewsbury Hospital
When Gilbert Talbot the 7th Earl of Shrewsbury died in 1616, he left provision for a hospital that would care for twenty of Sheffield’s poorest people. The hospital (which, at that time, meant hostel or hospice, rather than infirmary) originally opened in 1673 close to the current Park Square roundabout. In the 1820s it was rebuilt in the fashionable gothic style of the day at this site – directly opposite what is now the main entrance to the Cholera Monument Grounds. It continues to be used as almshouses today, providing affordable accommodation for local retired people

That looks surprisingly the same now!

The shiny new building on the old police station / glory hole site at the Manchester Road/ Fulwood Road junction is to be a residence I believe.
Correct! Wouldn’t fancy living there myself as it’s at the junction of two roads that are full of traffic for 12 hours each day.

I completely forgotten about The Saddle. Not a tetley lover but a decent boozer all the same.
Also, I had my last ever pint of Wards in The Devonshire. It was after the brewery had closed but there was still small pockets of the beer to be found and The Devonshire being across the road from the brewery was one of them.
I went in on a Friday lunchtime from work after a tip off that there was still some left there and remember the landlord being down in the dumps at the demise of an era. He gave me some beer mats and Wards bar towels as souvenirs and that was that. I went on holiday to The States the day after so that was my very last chance to drink Wards, by the time I returned it was all gone.
RIP.

Also, I had my last ever pint of Wards in The Devonshire. It was after the brewery had closed but there was still small pockets of the beer to be found and The Devonshire being across the road from the brewery was one of them.
I went in on a Friday lunchtime from work after a tip off that there was still some left there and remember the landlord being down in the dumps at the demise of an era. He gave me some beer mats and Wards bar towels as souvenirs and that was that. I went on holiday to The States the day after so that was my very last chance to drink Wards, by the time I returned it was all gone.
RIP.
We got to the Nomads cup final when we were based at The Devonshire ,Mick and Greta ex Pheasant were the custodians. We lost to Penguin :(

He was found dead in the city centre during the cold winter of 1976-77. The death made the front page of the Star. Cyril was always walking round the subway with his mouth wide open
Is it Cyril in photo, if he died in70s, it says roxys on top rank building weren't roxys in mid 80s.

Is it Cyril in photo, if he died in70s, it says roxys on top rank building weren't roxys in mid 80s.

Saw Sham, Upstarts, Undertones, Anti Nowhere League and many others in the early 80s when it was the top rank.

Went to the Blades Revival meeting in 86 when it was Roxys.

By miraculous powers of Sherlockian deduction, I'd say the name changed between 82 and 86.

Went to the Blades Revival meeting in 86 when it was Roxys.

Not really my bag as more of a Limit and Leadmill kid. However, I do remember going into Barry Nobles Roxy in 85 on someone’s birthday. Saw plenty of efforts by some of the men to revive ladies with some excellent mouth to mouth and chest pushing techniques. Mind you some of the sorts that were in there needed a lot of reviving, fresh lamb and bojoulais nouveaux they were not...

The perms and associated lacquers and gels also posed serious fire hazards, especially when nylon clothing, smoking and alcohol were thrown into the mix.

Not surprised it closed...

Never keen oh Home Ales though.

Pity me, as I went to Nottingham Uni and Home Ales was the best of the bunch, unless you could stumble over a rare oasis of Mansfield.

Kimberelys, Hardy Hanson and shitty-Shipstones were the local brews.

Where we had Allied pubs selling Tetley's theirs sold Ind Coope/Ansells. Our Bass pubs had Stones, they had M&B.

No wonder I came back every other week for all the United games.

Pity me, as I went to Nottingham Uni and Home Ales was the best of the bunch, unless you could stumble over a rare oasis of Mansfield.

Where we had Allied pubs selling Tetley's theirs sold Ind Coope/Ansells. Our Bass pubs had Stones, they had M&B.

You have my deepest sympathy, at least things have picked up a bit in Nottingham these days.

Surprised you came back a lot - the Uni and Trent Poly (as it was) had a woman to man ratio of 6:1 in those days !

Lucky buggers ;)

Back
Top Bottom