Why did you first support the blades answer for J Phipps.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

jezzablade

Reaction score
Not getting at Jim as I like the Bloke a lot. I was just interested in his comment about our cup run bringing out the reasons as to why we first loved the Blades.

When I first watched them it was with my Father and Grandfather. Woody & Currie were playing against Leeds, we lost 2 nil and it was downhill from there even down to the old fourth. I didn't know what a promotion was like until the fourth division. I'd suffered the Wendy Boxing day fiasco, the Don Givens fiasco, Relegation after Relegation. But My first season where I bought my own season ticket was when we were in the Fourth, I only knew disappointment up 'til then.

So the "feel good winning" feeling wasn't the reason I became a Blade. It was the Kop it was funny, witty, exiting and great standing watching the match, standing with my mates, having a laugh about the opposition, the anticipation before a game (Which was usually dashed by the end of it) the singing on the Kop. That's what I loved as a kid. Winning later on with Porterfield Bassett and Warnock was good as well but not the reason I became a Blade.

I had it drummed into me from an early age that United were the best team in Sheffield and the one that played football, the other lot were a set of dirty bleeders who played kick and run football, my dad said so therefore it must have been right. We think we are hard done by, pfft he was a baby the last time we won a cup and maybe just a teenager when we were last in a cup final. I remember him going to Leeds to see us lose a semi final replay in 1960, by the time we next got to a semi final he was 70 years old too old to be making a trip to a semi final he said. At least I have seen us in 3 FA cup semi's and a League cup semi, plus games at Wembley and the Millennium Stadiums even though we always lost. Sadly dad passed away late last year aged 90 and never got to see us in a cup final the reality is Mr Phipps it's just a way of life.

I was born a few thousand miles from here and none of my family have links to Sheffield. But we moved here when I was a kid, and a little lad at Dore Infant school by the name of Andrew Voss left me in no doubt what the correct team was.

Not seen him since we were ten, but it's all down to him.

Fred Jessop was the reason why my dad supported the Blades because Fred's son was in the same class at Dronfield school as my dad. Fred was signed from Derby on 16th December 1937 http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharrowblade/6391988463/
My dad (1930-99) probably started to become a Blade in 1938 or 1939 and started watching the Blades during war time. He took my Uncle Ronnie to his first game in 1958 which was Jimmy Hagan's testimonial and he took me to the Lane a few times in the late 1960s before I became a committed Blade in 1970 despite my mum's 5 brothers telling me that Wendy are a better team!

Way back in the early 1950s, with my parents and sister, we lived with an aged Uncle, who was a Wednesdayite. When we were about 6 or so, he took us to watch first Wednesday, and then United, which was very common in those days.

My sister chose Wednesday, so I chose United, for a number of reasons, which are meaningless now. I think the colour of our kit, compared to the other team's, the atmosphere at the ground, United being the underdog, and finally to be opposite to my sister.

In my early teens, I had the opportunity to become a programme seller at both clubs, but I turned the Blades down, because, as a programme seller, you missed most of the first half of the game, which being a Blade I couldn't allow, however missing part of the Owls and getting paid for it was pure pleasure. Except in derby games, of course!

It's all down to my Dad, he was working class and wanted nowt to do wi posh folk in S6.

Dad was a Blade which meant I was destined to suffer too. Growing up in 6 finger valley didn't help the whole place had a distinct smell of pork especially the girls.

Only me and one other lad supported United in my school year and the little shit kept it quiet. Looking back my inability to keep my gob shut started early.

Wouldn't have it any other way though being a Blade is the perfect balance of pleasure and pain.

It was a straight choice at 3 years old. Either a bag o' shite or a bunch of wankers. I went with the bag o' shite *

*not strictly true. This was the Currie/Woodward era. In fact my dad went week in week out and I'd find the programmes lying around on Sunday morning. We'd then visit my grandparents and my grandad would show me his Bertie Blade mirror and shout " Up the Blades" That was good enough for me.

Same reason as many above. The matriarch of the family, my Nannan, relished her first opportunity to go to football in the late 1940s and she's ensured that everyone was brought up as a Blade - I count at least 7 current or former season ticket holders she's responsible for.

She even had a budgie that she taught to say "up the Blades, down the pigs" and had she been born half an hour earlier, she'd have the same birthday as the Club.

And she reckons she's never won owt either...

As for me... some of my first games were the reserve matches at Saltergate. Before I got my own season ticket, I'd borrow my cousin's to get in. I'm sure there must have been some warm matches, but my overriding memories are of watching them under the floodlights, wearing two coats and tights under my jeans and my Uncle buying me a Bovril and a sausage roll. Talk about serving a football apprenticeship!

When my father moved over from the Emerald isle , and finally set roots down in Sheffield , my mother was from the dark side and encouraged him to take her to the games , when me and the other 2 brothers came along he took me to see United , must have been my red hair ( whats left of it now ) , took Andrew to them .
My son after following bigger premier Teams due to who they were signing , big fan of schevchenko so followed Milan then Chelsea , now a Blade and talks like we do know , them and us in relation to other teams .
So with mam , dad , and Andy sadly now longer with us , Its the old fella's fault I follow the Blades and I wouldnt have it any other way .
COYRWW . UTB .

I was born into a football free family! My parents were not from Sheffield, so there was no historic allegiance, the only link was my old man was an orthopedic surgeon and he treated the Blades Players whilst his colleague treated the Fowls.

This was the 70's and there was a danger as a young kid that I would become a Leeds Fan as I liked Scotland and Leeds had a strong contingent of Scots in the team.

Common sense won the day with a bit of help from Dearden, Salmons, Woody and Currie with the first red and white shirt purchase from Suggs. I do remember it as being more geographic in those days, and growing up in Dore I remember very few Wednesday fans.

Anyway first match was against Leeds in the early 70's, it was a night match and I was hooked.

I blame my grandad - he made sure that I became a Blade, took me to the Lane for the first time, took me to see Yorkshire cricket at the Lane, made sure I was brought up reight.

It's been a long downward spiral from there really

Would not change a single thing.

I was born a blade brought up a blade, travelled home an away from the age of 4 in the early 80's 90's on my dads shoulders on the terraces fantastic days wouldn't change them in any way. I now do the same with my 4yr old, we're blades an always will be..

Dad was a Blade which meant I was destined to suffer too. Growing up in 6 finger valley didn't help the whole place had a distinct smell of pork especially the girls.

Only me and one other lad supported United in my school year and the little shit kept it quiet. Looking back my inability to keep my gob shut started early.

Wouldn't have it any other way though being a Blade is the perfect balance of pleasure and pain.

Some people have such a witty way of putting things.

First game remember lost 4-2 at home to West Brom. Learn't early on, your glass has always got to be half full as a Blade

Morning fellow Blades by the way, first post!

Followed the messageboard & twitter account for many a year now so thought it'd be best to finally show my face :)

Back
Top Bottom