Why did you first support the blades answer for J Phipps.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Born in 1950,just off Abbeydale Road.I started to go to watch United in 1957 with my Brother who was 8 years older than me,first game i went to i was 'hooked',wanted to go again on Sunday,i thought they played every day of the week !!I consider myself privileged to support SUFC,a proper football club with great tradition and fantastic loyal supporters,we've had very little success over the 55 years but when it has come how sweet it has been.I hate Wednesday with a passion,this is a pre-requisite for all true blades and it started me thinking about how following United has impacted on my life and the things i experienced and players i've seen :

1st Derby Beat Wednesday 1-0 'Doc'Pace scored
John Harris,our best manager ?
Lost 3 game semi -final to Leicester City
Sold Mick Jones to Leeds
Bought Tony Currie,he can do magic and did !
Beat Cardiff City 5-1 Promotion to 1st Division
Relegation to Div 4
Darlington promotion,what a day !
The Bassett years with Brian Deane,Bob Booker and the rest
Leicester and promotion to Div 1,what a day !
Relegation at Chelsea on last day
The Warnock years,semi-finals and promotion
Relegation against Wigan on last day
Play-off Hearbreaks Palace,Wolves,Burnley,Huddersfield
Gary Speed R.I.P
Relegation to 3rd Tier again
Nigel Clough .....................................................

Proud to be a Blade !!!

When a female teacher spanked my bum at school and i realised i quite liked it.

As with many of you guys, I blame my Dad and Grandad and a whole generation or two before them for my 27 year love affair with the red and white stripes.

However, when I was just six, my Dad bought me a mascot package for Christmas. New Year, Bramall Lane, Division 2 - Sheffield United vs. Oldham Athletic. I was so excited, I "trained" in the back garden for the big day despite the freezing cold temperatures. I'd set my nets up, put my Blades ball under my arm and walk out from the side of the lawn, bending towards the Kop, kicking the ball to the goal and jogging over applauding the fans massed behind it. My 6 year old brain told me to practise this moment, this was my first chance to impress the Blades and would be the first step on my road to stardom as a future Blades legend.

Anyway, the day dawned. Billy McEwan's side were embroiled in a relegation scrap - not that I knew it, I was only 6. Pre-match tour of the ground, ball signed by the players, getting dressed in my new Blades kit and shaking hands with the referee. Out came the Blades, Martin Kuhl took my hand and we headed out of the tunnel. On the left of Kuhl, this was the moment I'd been rehearsing for what seemed like an eternity. I bent to the right towards the Kop ...

... I'd completely forgotten that United tradition at that point was to head out to the centre circle and applaud the Blades fans. My Mum still has the photo on her wall, she caught it perfect, me tripping up the United captain as we head out onto the pitch.

Not to worry. I quickly got away from Kuhl and had my photo took with my favourite player, the legend that is ... Tony Philliskirk. A year later, I'd have had Deane, Agana and Bryson to choose from.

I got the ball and started warming up with the players and then dribbled into the Oldham half. Kept going, no tackles. Into the box, Oldham's fans behind the goal. Smashed it past the keeper and it flew (trickled) over the line. GOAL! I fetched the ball, I remember the Oldham keeper laughing. I dribbled to the edge of the area and did it again, this time he let me kick it through his legs. 2-0 to United and we'd not kicked off.

By the time I'd got changed afterwards and got to my seat in the stands, not long had gone. Unofficially, it was 2-2 but officially Oldham were 2-0 up. Oldham went on to administer a 5-0 defeat on us. Lucky mascot indeed. The manager walked or was pushed afterwards and by the end of the match, I'd decided to be an Oldham fan.

However, it did bring Bassett, Deane, Agana, Bryson and a whole host of amazing memories.

I distinctly remember that day and 'hating' United for spoiling it. It's the day I fell in love with them though.

Now, I have a little 2 year old Bladette. Four years until she is mascot. :)

I was born at home about 5 miles from the Lane,although rushed to Jessops within an hour of being born due to my Mum losing a lot of Blood.My Dad was a Blade and took me to the Lane when I was a nipper.It was mid 60's,and really I can hardly remember ever not being a Blade.I have the memory of my Grandma asking me if I was Red and White or Blue and White when I was really young,and I wasn't sure,but answered Red and White..she then said you're R&W like your Dad,United..and that was the defining moment when I became a Blade I suppose..if my Dad was a Blade,then so am I.It wasn't long before I was off to the Lane regularly with my Dad and an absolute Blades Nut...great days and memories from those days.
I was a bit shocked at starting Junior school that I was outnumbered by Porkuliar types,although only one of them went to games.I now put it down to the fact Wendy had just been in a Cup Final and had a free ground revamp for the 66 World Cup..the balance seemed to change more towards the Blades as I got a bit older.
Anyway,all these years later..still in love with the Blades and wouldn't want it any other way...UTB!

We moved to Sheffield in the mid-60s. First question at school was 'who do you support?'. I couldn't say, but was told that that was not an option. If I didn't choose then both the guys would hit me. So I chose. One of the boys hit me. Shit. So I said - OK, t'other lot. The other guy hit me. Welcome to Sheffield. So as not to lose my inherent good looks, I had to decide. The only way was to go and find out. Went to the Lane. Loved it. Home from home. Atmosphere second to none. My mates dad said that he wasn't having that. So he took me to the bucket (it may have been rusty even then). To see the pigs play West Brom in the cup. I really, really wanted to be at the Lane - memory says that we were playing Everton (a league above) in the cup.

Heavens above, the game I saw was absolutely abysmal as Wednesday were totally outclassed. Cyril Regis stands out in my memory, as does the cheer that went up when it was announced that Everton had taken the lead.

Wind forwards ... Wednesday were annihilated by West Brom. The atmosphere was toxic. Then the score went up that the Blades had beaten Everton. I went mental. Told everyone around me that they supported the wrong team.

Then I knew. I just knew - the feeling of deep regret of not having been at the Lane. Having listened to an adult and believed him that it would be good at the Sty. He lied.

I was a Blade. And sang loud and proud in the stand at Hillsborough as a 9 year old.

My last memory of that day was of my mates dad saying that he never, ever would take me to another game. Ever. It was too dangerous.

And that is the last time that I went to the Sty - and will never, ever go there again.

Class? Look at the last players from each club to rise to play for England - Carlton Palmer vs Brian Deane. Waddle wasn't a bad player - but I give you Tony Currie.

Say no more ..... you fill up my senses.

I am 60 going on 16.

With respect to Mr Marley:
One love, one heart
Let's get together and feel all right

Oh yes - then my dad came along with me. He said 'good choice, son. Good choice'.

My handle gives the game away a bit except I couldn't fit Street on the end. ;)

Number 591 or 592 I think it was - under the garage now. :(

Actually, having read a few more posts I recognise a couple of factors that I'd completely forgotten about.

Firstly, the Grandad factor

My Grandad used to live on Bellefield Street when it was the original terraced houses (many a tale about the Mooney Gang and Chief Constable Sillitoe, pitch and toss) and he used to talk about the 1925 FA Cup winning teamand was a Blade although he, like most blokes, went to Hillsborough as well when United were away from home. I would only have been very young in those days and that would have been an important influence on me, but by the time I was 9, the second factor came into play.

The colour factor.

I remember one Sunday morning, my dad asking who I was going to support; he never really favoured either team as working in retail (The Caledonian Biscuit Company in the the old market in the 50s and 60s) he never had much of a chance to go to football but I think he slightly favoured the Blades. I asked what colours each team played in and decided I would follow the team in the red and white - just the deciding factor I guess.

I also note that some of us were forced into temporary blue and white-itis; it happened to me as well.

When I was 11 (1961) we moved to the Foxhill Estate and my mum wouldn't let me go to the Lane but said I could go to Wendy reserve matches if I wanted to see some football. Reluctantly I agreed as I just wanted to watch football so she bought me a blue and white hat and scarf and off I went to a handful of matches. I still took along a little red and white bell though!

Didn't last long though, TTL, and next season I was off to the Lane at every chance I could get.

UTB

Yeh, another one here (61 next tue:)). Born a Blade without a doubt! The connections with SUFC in our family are numerous. Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins........ all Blades!

Dad was around for 1915 final and 25 & 36 attendee. Maternal grandfather was mate of Bill Foulke and trained Foulke's greyhounds.

Fathers side of family originated from Park district, Mothers side lived next door to Lord Nelson (Fannys) in Arundel Street, so Bramall Lane was never more than a stroll away and United were their team!

I lived opposite Ball Inn Ground on Myrtle Road when its SUFC training ground so my childhood days were spent watching Blades train and attending every game that took place up there (and it was exposed, believe me!).

Several other very close connections over the years.....

Sons brought up in the correct tradition and this will pass on to their children too, no other way is there!

The club truly flows through my veins...

I don't think I realised that it was a choice - as a really small kid I had the red and white scarf and could do "United-clap-clap-clap". I remember the neighbour's kids were all United fans apart from one brother who was a Wednesday fan - which as he looked a bit different made perfect sense to a 3 year old.

My first experience of being a Blade in public was starting school - we went down to the 4th and was therefore something to have the piss taken out of me for. No worries as there were a merry band of us in the same boat. The rest of my school days were the same - even when we were promoted with Morris and Edwards the Pigs had to go one better.

It all came good in my teens though - United up and Wednesday down after Leicester. I can still remember hearing the singing on Dronfield main road from the top of the hill in Coal Aston long into the night. Then the best of the best - Whitehouse and Davidson at The Sty, getting back to The Sidings and doing the singing on Dronfield main road well into the night.

Never a choice to make. Cheers Dad.

I don't think I realised that it was a choice - as a really small kid I had the red and white scarf and could do "United-clap-clap-clap". I remember the neighbour's kids were all United fans apart from one brother who was a Wednesday fan - which as he looked a bit different made perfect sense to a 3 year old.

My first experience of being a Blade in public was starting school - we went down to the 4th and was therefore something to have the piss taken out of me for. No worries as there were a merry band of us in the same boat. The rest of my school days were the same - even when we were promoted with Morris and Edwards the Pigs had to go one better.

It all came good in my teens though - United up and Wednesday down after Leicester. I can still remember hearing the singing on Dronfield main road from the top of the hill in Coal Aston long into the night. Then the best of the best - Whitehouse and Davidson at The Sty, getting back to The Sidings and doing the singing on Dronfield main road well into the night.

Never a choice to make. Cheers Dad.

I lived in Coal Aston from 1959 - 1961 - on the Firthwood Estate - we were the second family to move in. It was lovely then and the village still had a duck pond!

Had to ask. Could count the Blades in Barnsley, (central and north) on one hand back in the day. Now Wombwell, Hoyland, Elsecar was a different story, train to matches used to fill up as it went through those areas

live in Elsecar now but there's lots of the unclean here

Born s2 in 1948, walked to the ground with mum and dad right until they packed it in due to old age. Have missed very little all my life.

Life of mysery being a Blade. Never mind beating hearts. We've always been a selling club with curiously loyal fans like me and the missus ( our first date was at the Lane).

Big opportunity for Mr Phipps to change our culture of failure.

Last edited:
Unfortunately some people are just born to suffer. We're like the chosen people.

Too true. When I was about 4 years old, my Pater told me that to truly achieve spiritual greatness in the next life, my time on this world would have to be filled with misery and perpetual whinging about how everything in the universe was against us and it's not fair etc etc, so he gave me a choice - become a Blade or a Jew. I don't think Scousers had been invented then or I'm sure they would have been part of the multiple choice too.

I did give it some thought. I kinda liked the thought of being permanently wealthy and swaggering round with a cocky air of self importance and superiority, knowing that no one would pick on me for fear of being called Auntie Slapstick or something and then, even if someone did, I'd get some bigger kids to duff them up for me. The thing I really didn't fancy though was some beardy guy have at-ting at my hampton with a scalpel, so, I became a Blade and I haven't looked back since. Actually, that's not true already. There's not a day goes by without me thinking back to that fateful day and wondering if a bit of flappy skin was worth all these years of misery and heartache. Shalom!

Im originally from Derry in NI.
I moved to sheffield (were my mum is from) when i was 4.to get away from the troubles.
Soon after me & my brother got into Football.
My mums family were all Pigs & of course they wanted me to be one as well.
My brother became a pig but i bucked the trend & in the 80s i used to sneak into bramall lane at half time.
All my brothers & sisters are pigs but im the one shinning beacon in a sea of truffle hunting.

I've no real idea why, given my family are largely Leeds and Man Ure fans from my Dads (god bless) side and nobody really likes football from my Mums side.

First game I saw was United against Norwich in about 01 or 02 I think, not sure but I remember we lost after leading the game but for whatever reason it was there when the affinity started and I've never looked back :)

Born in 1950,just off Abbeydale Road.I started to go to watch United in 1957 with my Brother who was 8 years older than me,first game i went to i was 'hooked',wanted to go again on Sunday,i thought they played every day of the week !!I consider myself privileged to support SUFC,a proper football club with great tradition and fantastic loyal supporters,we've had very little success over the 55 years but when it has come how sweet it has been.I hate Wednesday with a passion,this is a pre-requisite for all true blades and it started me thinking about how following United has impacted on my life and the things i experienced and players i've seen :

1st Derby Beat Wednesday 1-0 'Doc'Pace scored
John Harris,our best manager ?
Lost 3 game semi -final to Leicester City
Sold Mick Jones to Leeds
Bought Tony Currie,he can do magic and did !
Beat Cardiff City 5-1 Promotion to 1st Division
Relegation to Div 4
Darlington promotion,what a day !
The Bassett years with Brian Deane,Bob Booker and the rest
Leicester and promotion to Div 1,what a day !
Relegation at Chelsea on last day
The Warnock years,semi-finals and promotion
Relegation against Wigan on last day
Play-off Hearbreaks Palace,Wolves,Burnley,Huddersfield
Gary Speed R.I.P
Relegation to 3rd Tier again
Nigel Clough .....................................................

Proud to be a Blade !!!

The game that really haunts me most is the Chelsea game on last day of season, what a rollercoaster of a game where it was constantly changing on who was to be relegated, David Tutle going off unconcious and Mark Stein's 2 goals near the end, how about yourself ?

The game that really haunts me most is the Chelsea game on last day of season, what a rollercoaster of a game where it was constantly changing on who was to be relegated, David Tutle going off unconcious and Mark Stein's 2 goals near the end, how about yourself ?

Lived on Button Lane, all the family were Blades. 1St game was 1950 was 6 Granddad took me.

Born in Tinsley 57 moved on to the Lindsey Estate when I was 4.

There only two Blade families on the whole of the estate one lived next to us.
My dad had a bad accident ( he was a steel erector had a bad fall ) he was blue and white but like a lot of that age group he didn't hate United loved his football.
Anyway he asked the neighbour to take me to the Lane first game Sunderland 1966 supported them through thick and thin to this day

Had family members play for the Blades across various generations. First game I saw was against Gillingham in 1981 when my neighbour took me. I think we lost 1-0 but all I remember is the odd wheelchair cars sat around the back of the goal.

My grandma and granddad supported them, my dad and uncles supported them, so low and behold I do as well.
ive been working on my boys, but my eldest likes Bayern M but my youngest would probably say he is a blade, my 2 week
old daughter is a blade for now as well!

Amongst the first photos of me in existence there is one of me sporting a dashing Sheffield United bib. I was indoctrinated at a young age. But now I suppose I'm more thankful than anything. I'd like to think it's made me a cynic realist.

Back
Top Bottom