Why did you first support the blades answer for J Phipps.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I supported the Blades when Flo & Nilsen (Not too sure why I liked them to be honest) played for us.

My first game was against Bristol City in 1994, we won 3-0, right back Kevin Gage scored a screamer to make it 1-0. Whitehouse (pen I think) and Carl Veart scored the other two. My Dad and me then had season tickets in the South stand right up until the Premiership season. Due to family commitments I stopped going for a few seasons, I have since started to go to home and away games as my kids are now at the age where I can drag them along too!

I took my youngest son (8 months) to his first game the other week, this was against Bristol City too! It was really strange as we won by the same scoreline as my first game, the right back scored the first goal (Brayford) and we also scored a penalty.

I cant wait to take him to more matches in the future!

Not getting at Jim as I like the Bloke a lot. I was just interested in his comment about our cup run bringing out the reasons as to why we first loved the Blades.

When I first watched them it was with my Father and Grandfather. Woody & Currie were playing against Leeds, we lost 2 nil and it was downhill from there even down to the old fourth. I didn't know what a promotion was like until the fourth division. I'd suffered the Wendy Boxing day fiasco, the Don Givens fiasco, Relegation after Relegation. But My first season where I bought my own season ticket was when we were in the Fourth, I only knew disappointment up 'til then.

So the "feel good winning" feeling wasn't the reason I became a Blade. It was the Kop it was funny, witty, exiting and great standing watching the match, standing with my mates, having a laugh about the opposition, the anticipation before a game (Which was usually dashed by the end of it) the singing on the Kop. That's what I loved as a kid. Winning later on with Porterfield Bassett and Warnock was good as well but not the reason I became a Blade.

My Mum and Dad met at the Lane. My Dad first took me to the Lane in 1962, can't remember what match, as I was only 8 years old, but I know we won and Keith Kettleborough (RIP) played. That was it, hook line and sinker!! Later in my teens (70's), me and my best mate Widdy (RIP) used to go home and away. I count myself very honoured to have witnessed that 70's team play, what a team it was! I know it's only been a few months, but I think we have now turned the corner after years in the doldrums and Sir Nigel is the man!!

I'm proud to say my Grandad played for the Blades, so my dad will always be a fan, and in turn i always will be! The Red and White of Sheffield United runs through my veins!

I think I did something so horrible in a past life, I don't care to find out.

Pretty much the same story for me, I didn't have a choice, I was born at Jessops a Blade. We moved darn sarf when I was a nipper and I was the only Blade at my secondary school of nearly 1000 kids but it never phased me and only made me more passionate for the Red and White Wizards.

I now have 2 sons, 7 & 11 and again, they have had no choice and are as proud as I was to be the only Blades in their school in Leicestershire, my eldest sons teacher is a Pig however, Sam took great delight in walking into class on Tuesday morning giving him the L for Loser sign...

my Dad and Grandad were both Blades, dad used to take me on the Kop when I was a kid, I used to stand at the front behind the red painted wire fence and shout "DEANO" as loud as a 10 year old can. Had a season ticket on the kop for a few years during the late 90's early 2000's but not been as much since. 5YO daughter has asked if I can take her one day so We're planning on going to see us V Orient next month with my Dad

As i was getting into football at a younger age everyone around me was supporting Liverpool/Man Utd/Arsenal me being me decided to be different so plucked for the team at the bottom of the league at which time was SUFC!
Being from South Coast this wasnt a logistically astute decision however one im so glad i chose.
Ive been to the lane only a couple of times once vs Bury (won 3-0) and vs West Ham (won 3-0) saw the Wembley loss to Burnley and have been to various away games Portsmouth/West Brom/Crawley.

I keep in touch via this forum and obviously when the blades grace our TV screens.

My fav era was the Bassett reign but feel Clough could be the one to eclipse that.

Favourite players have been: Deane, Bradshaw, Whitehouse, Kelly, Borbokis, Saunders, Brown, Jags, The Kyle's and currently Brayford.

Love the atmosphere/feeling amoungst the fans and would never wish for a better random choice made many years ago. UTB

My family have no ties to Sheffield at all, my dad decided to support United on a whim in the late 70s.

He took me to the Lane many times when I was a kid but never cajoled me into suppporting them.

In the late 90s I was obsessed with Manchester United but by the turn of the Millennium I had seen the light.

Made my own mind up in 1970. No football influence in our family and I hated the fact my best mate wanted me to support weeds. All these years later he goes to BDTBL with me on occasions and despite working and sometimes staying in west yorks never goes to their games.

I got this back from James Phipps who read the thread after I sent the link to him.

"thanks for sending that through. Learned something from it. Winning is not the part of the FA Cup run that stirs us, I think. It is the unity -- being part of the single beating heart that is a club united. That's how I felt at Aston Villa and more and more since."

He just seems to understand it so very well. I believe we are lucky to have him onboard.

My dad's a blade, my brother's a blade, my uncle's a blade. I'm a blade.

My daughter is a blade, she just doesn't know it yet. Wait until the fever kicks in

Grandma and Grandad.............Mum and Dad.............Me.................My 2 lads.....................My daughter wants to go to the Charlton game, so here we go again.

So, no doubt it's a family affair, but big games don't half help it along the way.

:)

UTB

My son Freddie, two last week (see pic on the left), shouts "Come on, Bades!" [sic] whenever he hears or sees any football on the radio or TV, and now really enjoys singing "Sheffield United", alternately with me, over and over again, like at away games. His great-uncle Fred, who is still alive and well into his 90s, can remember his mum taking him to see the 1925 FA Cup winners taking the Cup round the city. It's in the blood, people.

Bit of a bastard start for me. Mum leaned towards the dark side after my Grandad's very strong affinity with them but my Dad, his Dad and his Grandad (born 1889) all Blades. We had 2 kid's football shirts in the house, one Owls and one Blades and my elder sister took the Blades shirt so I was left with the other. Wore it once when I was 4, got photographed (photo still haunts me to this day) but soon inherited the Blades shirt and been a ST holder since I was 8 (1988).

Dark side on both sides of the family (Dad's side all S6 - Wadsley, Worral, Oughtibridge, H*********h, etc.) but I'm always contrary and my mum still blames Nicky Newton (no idea where he is now!) in Yr 1 at Junior School for "turning" me.

My entire family are snortbeasts, literally all of them, all 4 brothers, dad, Grandads etc etc, went to my first blades game with a mate from school when I was 12 and 16 years later, am still a blade, much to the dismay of my family! There is a family photo of me in full Wednesday kit from before I knew better that still haunts me :(

Posted similar on another site. First house in S6 overlooking Wadsley Jack (then The Star Inn). Asked by dad who I wanted to support. Wednesday or United. Huckleberry Hound was on a Wednesday so I said pigs. Then dad went off to game on Saturday and I asked why I couldn't go and he said it was because I was a Pig (though not in those words). Changed allegiance immediately. Learnt as I grew that dad played for Norton Woodseats FC in fifties which was then a respected amateur team and anybody with class and a knowledge of football supported the Blades. Taken to first game 1961 against Fulham. Hooked despite other parts of family being high up pigs who I used to watch from directors box there. Why since 1961 and now a Blade? If you have ever been in close contact with both sets of supporters you would really not need to ask!

Like some others I had no SUFC connection. My father was a Barnsley fan and my family were Leeds. Similar to s5Blade at the age of 12 a school mate took me to the Lane and I was hooked immediately on the atmosphere, the drama, the mad fans. I've just turned 60 and I'm still a regular at matches.

PeterNdlovu081, I'm also from Barnsley, does your father still go and whereabouts in Barnsley are you ?

You must have started about the same time as me Cahill as I'm 60 too – first game was Blades v Blackpool, Easter Monday 1966.

We lost 1-0.

I like others have no direct link to SUFC or any Sheffield origins. Although, my father-in-law now lives in Yorkshire.

I was born in Birmingham, where I lived until my parents retired to Norfolk in 1979. My Dad did not like football much and he only took me to one game when I was about 11 or 12 and that was Aston Villa v Newcastle in the mid 70's. I remember Malcolm McDonald and his bandy legs.

My next visit to the football was at Carrow Road. Dragged there by some mates in 1994 or 5 something like that when by chance the visiting team were the Blades. I have a memory of placing a bet on Deane to score and SUFC to win 2-1, something like that and collected a few quid. My mates couldn't understand why I had bet against Norwich, but I didn't care much for them. I had found my team.

Over the years I went to Sheffield more and more seminars at the University, and Bramall Lane, trips to the snooker and when asked who I supported I would always say Sheffield United.

In 2003 my son Tom was born and I decided when he was about six to take him to watch a match. We went to Carrow Road on Boxing day I think, or New Years day? a few years ago to see the Blades. We could not get a ticket in the Norwich stand so purchased tickets for the away end not knowing what to expect.

We were made very welcome, by travelling Blades, and enjoyed the event, singing songs, and having a really good time. Although, Norwich won and that season we were relegated.:(

I decided from then to, make the effort to go to more matches and since then have been to a number of away games and a few at home.

I like being a Blade and could not follow any other team now.

HH

Nice coincidence Newbury Blade. So you'll have experienced the Blades very much as I have. Jones, Birchenall, Woodward, Badger, then Tudor, Currie and the great era of the early 1970's. It's been interesting and the one permanent feature has been the fans. I used to be a kop regular back in the day, some dark days in the 1970s and 1980's on the terraces. The match day experience has changed however some good, more families, female supporters, better facilities, safer; some not so good, all the rah rah stuff, music when a goal is scored, a daft pillock dressed as a pirate walking round the pitch, no standing. I've just bought my first tickets today at concessionary prices for myself and my grandson who I think is on his way to becoming only the second ever Blade in the family, lots of pulls to Barnsley and the other lot though.

My first game was in Sept/October 1966 either Arsenal or Southampton, the game was a 1 - 1 draw. We used to enter the ground on Bramall Lane turnstile opposite the Cricketers.

Cheers

Like some others I had no SUFC connection. My father was a Barnsley fan and my family were Leeds. Similar to s5Blade at the age of 12 a school mate took me to the Lane and I was hooked immediately on the atmosphere, the drama, the mad fans. I've just turned 60 and I'm still a regular at matches.

PeterNdlovu081, I'm also from Barnsley, does your father still go and whereabouts in Barnsley are you ?

Yes he's still a season ticket holder to this day.

I live at Mapplewell.

My old man was an origninal Shoreham Boot Boy and staunch Wednesday hater, he took me to my first match in about 1988, a 1-0 win v York i believe, this followed a season ticket the year after and never looked back.

Love the Blades, love the fans, love the pubs before and after the match, love Bassett, Warnock, Kendall, Spackman and now Clough (the others have been hit and miss), Deane and Agana, night matches, floodlights, half time boveril, away matches and now taking my own son. Is not for the glory is it, it's something much more.

Like Tony Agana my Grandad was born in 1889 he went watched the Blades, took my Dad, he took me and Ive taken my daughter she has had a ST since she was six I now have a grandaughter 15 months old hopefully she will carry our family tradition on and be a fifth generation Blade. As it has been said being a Blade is in the Blood

I was first sucked in by the crowd; the singing and the roar of the fans. Let me explain, I first came to Sheffield as a student in the late 80s,and having rented a house with other students in Heeley Bank with the house looking down onto Bramall Lane, 'what a great view'. It was in the days of Brian Deane and Tony Agana, the lethal strike force that was and the Kop was still all standing at the time.

Throughout the years since there have been many ups - for instance, beating Man Utd 2-1 in the FA Cup 5th round - Jamie Hoyland and Glyn Hodges's magical left foot ( fans helped buy Glyn Hodges with grand national sweepstake tickets I remember) or beating Liverpool 2-0 at Bramall Lane - Brian Deane dispossessing Grobbelaar and then lobbing from 45 yards. But there have been sad moments too such as the loss of Mel Reece our surprise reserve keeper and what a swan song he had, helping us stay up that year; I remember the great reception he got at Wembley from our fans, shame we couldn't win that day. I could go on for ever but for sure being a Blade is never boring,and the passion is second to none and always will be, Over the years good players have come and gone and great to think that some are in the current England squad.

Being a South Yorkshire lad I soon got my younger brother into the Blades and it is a great bond we will always share, I can't help feeling that the good times will soon be around the corner again,as the current squad has so much potential and talent,and it is just getting better and better, a special thanks to Nigel and his staff and our magnificient team, it feels like a huge family again, the best way to be.

So I want to give a huge thanks to everyone behind the scenes from board level down for helping steer this fantastic club in the right direction again, I am sure we can get there and when it does, PARTY!!!!!!!!! .

Darlo Blade

Fambly innit.

Grandpops -- Pops -- Me -- and now mini-me

And possibly Great Grandpops, another Park Hill tenements dweller. We don't know though.

And it was never a choice. Blades or nothing.

Back
Top Bottom