Injuries

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So we have out...

Davies A
Baldock
Basham
Egan
Norrington Davies
Lowe
Osborn
Davies T
Coulibaly
Jebbison
Osula

Full team of 11 players.

Basham, Egan, Osborn, Lowe, Davies, Jebbo all long term too. Most we won't see for ages if at all this season.

Terrific.

So we have a squad of 25 and 11 are injured.

So on Saturday will we be facing Man Utd with 11 on the pitch and 3 on the bench?

Won't be that far away before we aren't able to field 11, I'm reckoning Bogle is due to be injured soon and Mcburnie often picks up a "knock"

This.

Bear in mind we have injury prone players in our starting 11 (McB, Bogle, Brewster) and on top of this those who are fit are blowing out of their arse due to the higher tempo and playing probably over 100 minutes per game.

Those mid to top end teams can just replace their starting eleven with near identical quality, we’re looking at not even having a full bench.

So on Saturday will we be facing Man Utd with 11 on the pitch and 3 on the bench?
Young players not included in 25 so can play or be on bench.
The opposition have the same problems with injuries, but a stronger squad.

I don’t ever remember the Prince saying he doesn’t understand football - he spends a great deal of his time watching it. His henchman said that at the infamous press conference, but he wasn’t wearing a kaftan. I’ve never seen the Prince in a kaftan. There are occasionally pictures of him in a thawb, but for the most part he seems to prefer ( scruffy) Western dress.
I assume that the abdication of responsibility to which you refer is McCabe? Abdication of responsibility is a strange way of describing the loss of a protracted and very expensive court case.
If you want to persist in spouting stupid personal insults on here, then at least you might associate them even loosely with the truth?
I don’t ever remember the Prince saying he doesn’t understand football - he spends a great deal of his time watching it. His henchman said that at the infamous press conference, but he wasn’t wearing a kaftan. I’ve never seen the Prince in a kaftan. There are occasionally pictures of him in a thawb, but for the most part he seems to prefer ( scruffy) Western dress.
I assume that the abdication of responsibility to which you refer is McCabe? Abdication of responsibility is a strange way of describing the loss of a protracted and very expensive court case.
If you want to persist in spouting stupid personal insults on here, then at least you might associate them even loosely with the truth?

Oooh. Suitably reprimanded. Running away now, tail between my legs. You know perfectly well that the person who doesn’t understand (or wish to understand football) is the chairman our owner left us with. Not a henchman but Yusuf Giansiracusa. Dual qualified Lawyer. (And if you want his history I bet I’ve better resources than you to establish them). He was wearing a Thawb as you describe it, it also has other names. Clearly not Kaftan, but you enjoy your period of superiority and knowledge of Saudi and other Middle Eastern dress over my attempt at levity. The abdication of responsibility is clearly that of our owner who at (as you yourself describe it) that”infamous press conference “ he basically said I’m outtta here. This is the management team. The club will be run sustainably. He pops in now and again when there’s some glory to be had. Otherwise nada.

Now I’m no McCabe apologist. PA has done better than any previous owner since the Lavers and I’ve seen em all. He’s done the best with the limited finances available. However I do get upset at the feeling that my club (ok his club) has been left with a chairman who is a figurehead and nothing more, effectively managed financially by a chief executive who reports to the absentee owner directly and is managed at football level by someone who knows he has a five year contract and little incentive to change because he knows he isn’t going anywhere anytime soon whatever the results or performances.

So basically you carry on chappy. Hope you enjoyed your moment of righteous superiority. I’m more concerned about how the club is run and I’m not convinced about the training in which many injuries occur which is down to Hecky and treatment of injuries which is down to who? I’m sick of the Hecky response of “I don’t know, I don’t ask”. Well ffs you are the manager, isn’t it about time you did ask?

He was wearing a Thawb as you describe it, it also has other names. Clearly not Kaftan, but you enjoy your period of superiority and knowledge of Saudi and other Middle Eastern dress over my attempt at levity.
Oversized white training top with the Sheff Utd logo on it....received a lot of comment on here at the time. That’s why I misinterpreted your “levity” as having a whiff of xenophobia, which set me off.

Fully agree with the sensible part of your reply to my post, about our current predicament.

We have seventeen first team players available. Two of those (Fleck and Brewster) have only just returned from serious injury. It's not good.

If you want to look at the submitted 25 man PL squad then it's 15 available as Traoré and McAtee are classed as U21s and therefore don't take up a squad space.
  1. Adam Davies - out injured
  2. George Baldock - out injured
  3. Max Lowe - out injured
  4. John Fleck - returning from serious injury
  5. Auston Trusty
  6. Chris Basham - out with long term injury
  7. Rhian Brewster - returning from serious injury
  8. Gustavo Hamer
  9. Oli McBurnie
  10. Cameron Archer
  11. Benie Traoré (U21)
  12. John Egan - out with long term injury
  13. n/a
  14. Luke Thomas
  15. Anel Ahmedhodzic
  16. Oli Norwood
  17. Ismaila Coulibaly - out injured
  18. Wes Foderingham
  19. Jack Robinson
  20. Jayden Bogle
  21. Vini Souza
  22. Tom Davies - out until 2024
  23. Ben Osborn - out injured
  24. n/a
  25. Anis Ben Slimane
  26. n/a
  27. Yasser Larouci
  28. James McAtee (U21)
  29. n/a
  30. Oli Arblaster (U21/out on loan)
  31. n/a
  32. Will Osula (U21) - out injured
  33. Rhys Norrington-Davies - out with long term injury
  34. Louis Marsh (U21/out on loan) - out injured
  35. Andre Brooks (U21)
  36. Daniel Jebbison (U21) - out until 2024
  37. Jordan Amissah - out injured
  38. Femi Seriki (U21)
  39. Sai Sachdev (U21)
  40. Jili Buyabu (U21)

We have seventeen first team players available. Two of those (Fleck and Brewster) have only just returned from serious injury. It's not good.

If you want to look at the submitted 25 man PL squad then it's 15 available as Traoré and McAtee are classed as U21s and therefore don't take up a squad space.
  5. Auston Trusty
  8. Gustavo Hamer
  9. Oli McBurnie
  10. Cameron Archer
  11. Benie Traoré (U21)
  13. n/a
  14. Luke Thomas
  15. Anel Ahmedhodzic
  16. Oli Norwood
  18. Wes Foderingham
  19. Jack Robinson
  20. Jayden Bogle
  21. Vini Souza
  24. n/a
  25. Anis Ben Slimane
  26. n/a
  27. Yasser Larouci
  28. James McAtee (U21)
  29. n/a
  31. n/a
  35. Andre Brooks (U21)
  38. Femi Seriki (U21)
  39. Sai Sachdev (U21)
  40. Jili Buyabu (U21)

We'll recall Arblaster in January and slow his development down as we have with Jebbison and Osula in recent seasons.
It's a shambles.

I won't be surprised to see McAtee leave early too.

5. Auston Trusty
  8. Gustavo Hamer
  9. Oli McBurnie
  10. Cameron Archer
  11. Benie Traoré (U21)
  13. n/a
  14. Luke Thomas
  15. Anel Ahmedhodzic
  16. Oli Norwood
  18. Wes Foderingham
  19. Jack Robinson
  20. Jayden Bogle
  21. Vini Souza
  24. n/a
  25. Anis Ben Slimane
  26. n/a
  27. Yasser Larouci
  28. James McAtee (U21)
  29. n/a
  31. n/a
  35. Andre Brooks (U21)
  38. Femi Seriki (U21)
  39. Sai Sachdev (U21)
  40. Jili Buyabu (U21)
If we look at this current snapshot, I think we can identify some broad categories of injury:

Events over which we have no control: ( 5 out of 15)
Max Lowe - trod on sprinkler
John Fleck - leg break through contact during match
Chris Basham - freak incident
Louis Marsh - broken arm during match
Daniel Jebbison - significant illness
Nothing that the club could do about any of these in my opinion.

Hamstrings: ( 2 out of 15)
Rhian Brewster
Rhys Norrington-Davies
I don’t think the club can reasonably be blamed for these. There does, however, seem to be a growing issue with this injury across the Premier League. Important for everybody that it gets better understood.

Major muscle / ligament injury: ( 2 out of 15)
Tom Davies . Quad tear. Most likely the fault of the conditioning programme, in my opinion.
John Egan. ACL. The result of being overplayed while carrying an injury, in my opinion.

Random minor injuries - (the remaining 6 of the 15)
I don’t know enough about the nature or severity of these injuries to try and sensibly categorise in any greater detail, or to speculate on the reason behind each. I suspect that some of them are fairly minor.

To state the blindingly obvious, I don’t think that we can seriously point the finger at any major single cause of our current injury problem. I would argue that at least half of them are outside of any sensible control measure or club intervention. Of the remainder, I would clearly point the finger at the club regarding Egan and Tom Davies. Both of these relate in part to the fact that we have such little depth in our squad. Egan was overplayed because we lacked alternatives, although the international stints were madness ( for which I think both the club and Egan bear some responsibility). Tom Davies - like other of our summer signings - was clearly a mile away from match fitness when we bought him, and I suspect that the intensity of his build-up programme was rushed in an effort to bolster a paper thin squad, and probably played a part in his freak muscle tear while kicking a ball ( similar situation with Slimane earlier).
I doubt whether the other 6 random minor injuries are that much different to most Premier League squads at any one snapshot in time.

I think that I could reasonably conclude from this that bad luck is the major contributing factor to our current injury crisis, and is probably the only clear outlier from the challenges facing other Premier League squads. If this were true, I have two problems with it:
  • it seems to have been going on for too long to be a random event.
  • there’s nothing we can do about it.

I think that the lack of depth in starting quality of the squad is another factor that causes us to overplay or rush back players, but there’s frustratingly little that we can do about that, at the moment, either!

Our record under Hecky has been terrible for injuries. It’s not really a debate it’s a fact. Don’t know what’s going on but something is drastically Going wrong in training.

Good to see Bettis acknowledge that it's being looked at.

It's gone on too long to simply assume bad luck despite some obviously have been.

Heads need to roll with staff behind the scenes for these injury issues. That is what should happen and maybe even Hecky himself if its actually down to training methods.

Heads need to roll with staff behind the scenes for these injury issues. That is what should happen and maybe even Hecky himself if its actually down to training methods.
Certainly plausible.

With his previous game time, the need to fill that position, and with the KNOWN alternatives we had to him, this signing was a huge gamble.
And one that has already not paid off.
James Wallace Mark 2, not sure why we didn't just give a contract until the end of the season with a option for another year.
Were we really fighting off others teams for his signature to give him a three year deal?

James Wallace Mark 2, not sure why we didn't just give a contract until the end of the season with a option for another year.
Were we really fighting off others teams for his signature to give him a three year deal?
1 year? You're still nicer than me, I would have offered him a trial. God knows how he even passed a medical.
If Dids was good enough for a trial then this kid should have been too.

Can't we get a free agent defender in or is our squad at maximum numbers for PL?

Yes Bristol Rovers where he was training.

Back
Top Bottom