Player Suggestion Left Wing Backs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Can't find the tweets now, but after suggesting Manning a few weeks back I read that the main reason he turned down a new deal at Swansea was he was after 50k a week.

Quick scan of twitter looks like Burnley fans are all keen, and Leeds too
they can have him then wanting that salary unproven in the premier league and nowt like as good as rnd

James Justin is a player I'd look at if Leicester go down as expected. A right footer but comfortable on the left and able to cover both sides.

In contract (1 year left I think) so would incur a fee.

Very highly rated while at Luton, suffered a few injuries and not really broken through at Leicester. Still only 25 and would increase in value if he does well.
Justin did break through. I think he even got into an England squad, though may be remembering that incorrectly.

If he's thought to be getting back to full fitness/performance he'll go to a richer club than ours probably.

But great player.

I would expect the position to be filled as a loan from a big European club. Have no proof just a sense from what I've been reading on transfer policies. Also, I have no recommendations either but I'm pretty sure there are a few players willing to take a loan deal to little old Sheffield!!!

Joe Bryan’s contract at Fulham is up this summer but looks like he’s probably going back to Bristol

Giles is doing ok tonite.
I thought that too. Would definitely be interested if Wolves don’t see him as a key part of their plans next season. They seem to have a rotating cast of full backs in the first team squad.

Good age, quick, can take players on and defend one on one, he looked ideal I thought.

Last edited:
I really liked the look of Giles too. I suspect though that we'll sign Ryan Manning for the LWB as he's done well this season at Swansea as their player of the season and he's on a free.

I thought that too. Would definitely be interested if Wolves don’t see him as a key part of their plans next season. They seem to have a rotating cast of full backs in the first team squad.

Good age, quick, can take players on and defend one on one, he looked ideal I thought.

You wouldn't really want to use one of your Prem loans or a decent chunk of your budget (if Wolves only want a sale) on a LWB though. Tbh I can see someone joining from a European league for that position

You wouldn't really want to use one of your Prem loans or a decent chunk of your budget (if Wolves only want a sale) on a LWB though. Tbh I can see someone joining from a European league for that position
Agreed. I was thinking more of a signing. Although the more I read, the more I think Wolves would be stupid not to take a long look at Giles and/or slap a decent-sized price tag on him. ‘Boro were the seventh club (!) he’d been at on loan but he seems to have found himself a bit at left wing-back.

Giles would be overpriced. Wolves somehow got 45m for MGW. So they’ll try get 20-25m for Giles I reckon. And he’s too weak defensively to be costing that much

Ryan Giles would be made a complete mug by right wingers in the prem. Fantastic going forward but defensively dreadful. Manning is probably the best option for us but his wage demands are probably double our best offer.

Given our limited budget, one place we should be looking for value is players who haven't broken into bigger teams. One player I'd like us to look at is Jamal Lewis at Newcastle. I imagine we could get him on loan to buy, and he was a 15m player a couple of years ago. One of Hecky's big strengths is player development, so I trust him to get the best out of young players who have not succeeded elsewhere.

Seems like he's been unlucky at Newcastle, and has a good attitude.

Given our limited budget, one place we should be looking for value is players who haven't broken into bigger teams. One player I'd like us to look at is Jamal Lewis at Newcastle. I imagine we could get him on loan to buy, and he was a 15m player a couple of years ago. One of Hecky's big strengths is player development, so I trust him to get the best out of young players who have not succeeded elsewhere.

Seems like he's been unlucky at Newcastle, and has a good attitude.

Agree with the suggestion but probably not a loan slot being used.

Francisco Ortega

• Nationality: Argentine
  • Date of Birth: 19/03/1999
  • Club: Vélez Sarsfield
  • Position: Left Back
  • Preferred foot: Left
  • Work Permit: 33/65 Pass
Ortega is a left back player who is characterised by his good defense and correct decisions when attacking. He is very attentive to runs in behind and covers these well. On attacks he works in conjunction with the winger, mainly to attack different corridors. A notorious virtue he has is to attack the space well and a surprise arrival to the box.

He is very good at putting pressure on the opponent and has aggressiveness on defense duels. In aerial duels he is good and has an acceptable height to be a left back (1.77m).

Technically he is a correct and safe player. He does not risk much in passing, mainly looking for the simplest option. As a weakness we can mark that he is not skilled with his right leg, and uses it very rarely. He is pretty good in progressive runs, and the confidence to often shoot on goal. Something to improve is his control, since if he receives the ball with the right leg, he generally has difficulties.

Physically he has a good final speed, although he must improve in acceleration, his stamina is good and that he has considerable strength and power.

Celtic were after him in the JTW.

Ryan Giles would be made a complete mug by right wingers in the prem. Fantastic going forward but defensively dreadful. Manning is probably the best option for us but his wage demands are probably double our best offer.
+our dealings with Swansea have hardly set the world on fire in the past!

Josh Doig? Scottish, aged 21, probably relegated to Serie B with Verona next Sunday. 26th ranked player in the league for goal creating actions per 90 (5th if just looking at defenders). Was signed for €3.6m at the start of the season, but maybe worth a look if Verona go down.

Last edited:
+our dealings with Swansea have hardly set the world on fire in the past!

Dean Hammond wasn't exactly an overwhelming success but that doesn't mean I'd refuse James Madison should he wish to turn down top 4 teams and >£100k/week to join the Blades.

Agreed Doig would be a good long term piece and Hall looks a talent I doubt Chelsea would let him go cheap though

Greg Taylor at Celtic? I know he was decent at a young age but not heard much of his progress at Celtic. Just with them probably going to be linked with Stevens.

Ola Aina looks to be out of contract at Torino and even if not will be available regardless. Good attacking option who can play on both sides. We could do with ball carriers like him

Ola Aina looks to be out of contract at Torino and even if not will be available regardless. Good attacking option who can play on both sides. We could do with ball carriers like him
Excellent player when he was at Fulham in the Prem, I thought. He's right footed isn't he.

Few decent Scots in Serie A. kid at Empoli went viral for mocking Vlahovic everyone there seemed to love it

Doig would be a superb piece of future proofing in a crucial position
Doig and Manning pretty cheap overall for two new LWBs.

Try and get a million or two for Lowe, sell to Championship.

RND first choice LCB when fit (where he played for some of our best team performances, e.g. home to Reading a d Blackburn).

Back
Top Bottom